GTS Newb Progression

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum!

So I have recently migrated over to GTS from the carnage wreck fest that is Forza 7. Whilst I'm still in the lower lobbies (DR: C SR: S) I've been really enjoying the game and spend pretty much all of my time in the daily however I'm running into a few problems and I have a few questions im hoping you guys can help me with...here goes...
  • T1 Braking point. - How do you judge where to break following the rolling starts? Obviously its alot lower speed than quali but I keep losing a ton of places from breaking too early! Is there a general rule of thumb? (awaiting the inevitable "break later"comments)
  • Avoiding the haters - I'm struggling to reach the higher lobbies because of non-sporting lobby plebs (Punterinos, ran off the track, aggressive racing etc) Any tips how to progress out of the lower lobbies and avoid unsporting behaviour and general carnage?
  • Quitting - In the event I get punted off and end up a long way off last place, Is it best to quite to preserve by DR or take the hit and run the race?
  • Race selection- As of right now I'm only competing in Daily's where I feel I have a good chance of gaining some positions or im comfortable and relatively consistent with the track. I'm also avoiding those where I have struggled. and feel that my DR will get hurt because of it. The problem with this is that it limits the opportunity to increase my DR. Is this strategy a good one?
  • Newb Practice - I want to get better at the game, improve my racecraft and get some practice racing closely with like-minded players. Everyone I have found in the lobbies so far has been wayyyyy faster and I cant keep up. Is there a new player lobby/race club I can join to learn and get better?
Cheers!

Welcome to GTSport/Planet!

All the below is just my opinion :)

1. I struggle with this myself but generally focus on your T1 apex speed. Brake a little later/gently and get the car to the apex at what you know to be the right speed. It comes with practice though.

2. If someone is driving aggressively or erratically just let them past. There's a very good chance they'll spin themselves out, often taking someone else with them. Just make sure they don't take YOU out. It's better to lose a position and a bit of time than to end up off the track stuck in gravel.

3. Never quit! The game assumes you finished last and your DR and SR will take a hit. Other people nearly always quit or crash so don't give up and you should pick up a few positions.

4. Yeah that's a good strategy. Just know that Race C has the better chance to gain DR as there are more people than the other races. If you're confident at Race A or B then milk those races for all the DR you can get!

5. I don't know about any beginner specific groups but get involved in the "Daily Race Discussion" thread here. There's loads of great people who will happily advise on how to improve your racing (on the rare occasions they actually talk about racing, they're easily distracted). Also look up Tidgneys driving school on YouTube. There's loads to learn there.

Have fun and good luck 👍

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum!

So I have recently migrated over to GTS from the carnage wreck fest that is Forza 7. Whilst I'm still in the lower lobbies (DR: C SR: S) I've been really enjoying the game and spend pretty much all of my time in the daily however I'm running into a few problems and I have a few questions im hoping you guys can help me with...here goes...
  • T1 Braking point. - How do you judge where to break following the rolling starts? Obviously its alot lower speed than quali but I keep losing a ton of places from breaking too early! Is there a general rule of thumb? (awaiting the inevitable "break later"comments)
  • Avoiding the haters - I'm struggling to reach the higher lobbies because of non-sporting lobby plebs (Punterinos, ran off the track, aggressive racing etc) Any tips how to progress out of the lower lobbies and avoid unsporting behaviour and general carnage?
  • Quitting - In the event I get punted off and end up a long way off last place, Is it best to quite to preserve by DR or take the hit and run the race?
  • Race selection- As of right now I'm only competing in Daily's where I feel I have a good chance of gaining some positions or im comfortable and relatively consistent with the track. I'm also avoiding those where I have struggled. and feel that my DR will get hurt because of it. The problem with this is that it limits the opportunity to increase my DR. Is this strategy a good one?
  • Newb Practice - I want to get better at the game, improve my racecraft and get some practice racing closely with like-minded players. Everyone I have found in the lobbies so far has been wayyyyy faster and I cant keep up. Is there a new player lobby/race club I can join to learn and get better?
Cheers!
Welcome :gtpflag:
I started back in July of this year and ran into a lot of the same challenges you raise here. For my first month or so I was in those same lobbies until figuring things out and advancing. Here's my tips for your questions. Hope they help.
  • T1 Braking point. - This will come with practice and track knowledge. It's very dependent on your starting position in the pack and how far you are from t1 when the light goes green. What's important is to know what speed you normally enter t1 at and then judge your first lap braking point based on that. When in doubt, start braking earlier and then let off the braking if you started too early. That will always be better than braking late and turning yourself into a bowling ball.
  • Avoiding the haters - Unfortunately you'll end up encountering this all throughout the DR ranks. It gets better once you make it to DR A and beyond, but there will always be the salty drivers. The best way I've found to avoid this is by staying calm yourself and not retaliating (easier said than done), and learning the patterns that those drivers exhibit so you can predict their actions and avoid them by changing your line or braking points accordingly.
  • Quitting - This is never advantageous to do. Quitting immediately puts you in last place (or just in-front of whoever last quit before you) which means you lose the same amount of DR as if you stuck the race out and placed last, and you also lose 5 SR on top of that.
  • Race selection - Good strategy here. There's no reason to drive in races where you know you'll do poorly or you just don't enjoy. DR gains will come in time as you improve, don't feel like you have to go into every single race.
  • Newb Practice - Lobbies and qualifying laps are the best ways to improve outside of actual races. Try to find other players here that are around your pace and looking to improve as well. GTP has some of the cleanest drivers around in my experience. Shameless plug for the Daily Races with Friends as well. Everyone's welcome and it'll give an opportunity for low-stress practice with drivers of all skill levels.
Good luck!

What I can say about the dirty races is that if you keep on jumping up and down with your SR, you should try to do a daily race without qualifying and let fast people pass. Your DR will take a hit but when you do get to 99 SR you can just focus on your race without people punting you.

Last edited:
@watto79 @Granadier - Thank you both for the tips, ill try and put the T1/Rolling start apex speed approach into action a bit later tomorrow (once the hangover has subsided a bit). I had no idea about the game handling of quitting or Race C, I'm avoiding Race C this week as its gr2 and i can't keep those things under control yet! ! Thank you very much for this. I'll check out that subforum and Tidgeys Youtube too! Would be great to team up with some other new GTS drivers! Ill let you know how it goes :)

What I can say about the dirty races is that if you keep on jumping up and down with your SR, you should try to do a daily race without qualifying and let fast people pass. Your DR will take a hit but when you do you can just focus on your race without people punting you.

My SR is staying consistent at S it's my DR which I think is taking a hit. I'm consistently qualifying towards in the mid-pack. sometimes front of the pack. but more often then not I get punted or ran off the track. Out of principle, I'll always let faster drivers past as battling is just going to lose me more time. Maybe next time ill skip quali and just see what progress I can make from the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very new to online racing (26/12/2019) and the advice above appears very sound to me.

I've had the game since Xmas 2019 and completing all the driving school / challenges / track challenges has undoubtedly helped immensely. Complete them all in that order and secure gold before moving onto the next one. Then keep on revisiting each one to improve your times. Having attained gold in all sections, I went back in and managed to beat my times by a decent margin in almost every case, which showed how much I'd learnt and improved.

I also found the videos for each challenge very useful and used the time set by the driver as my goal (not that I managed to beat him!!)

I'm sure others will agree that knowledge takes time to accumulate and practice is key, but I'm speaking from a perspective of someone who had never used a driving simulator before.

I wanted to know each track like the back of my hand before attempting to race real people online and having won a race and been placed in many others, I believe my approach has paid dividends. I'm only using the DS controller with auto transmission, so know I will never compete with the top drivers, but I still get a buzz with the competition factor.

I just wish the game wasn't frequented by dodgem drivers, who ruin it for everyone.

Good luck PhilenMyself and hope all goes well for you.

Last edited:
I am also new here started Nov 2019. A few things.

if you are slower than the person behind let them pass, you may think blocking & moving in braking zone is a good way to race it is not and will end up in you being hit.
When racing side by side, moving over to the other car to give them, a friendly tap is a no no if you have someone like me then your lucky because I won't try hit you back because i love driving clean. But if you tap some off the other drivers I have seen racing, you will be taken out even of it means them going off track also.

Drive clean
Move only 1 time in your braking zone.
Don't tap the drivers passing you it's a non contact sport.
When you are braking and there is more than 1 car Infront off you then you need to watch both cars braking and give yourself time even if you have to brake a bit earlier & loose time.
It's better to loose time than take out 1 or more cars at all times even if it cost you a win

I am also new here started Nov 2019. A few things.

if you are slower than the person behind let them pass, you may think blocking & moving in braking zone is a good way to race it is not and will end up in you being hit.
When racing side by side, moving over to the other car to give them, a friendly tap is a no no if you have someone like me then your lucky because I won't try hit you back because i love driving clean. But if you tap some off the other drivers I have seen racing, you will be taken out even of it means them going off track also.

Drive clean
Move only 1 time in your braking zone.
Don't tap the drivers passing you it's a non contact sport.
When you are braking and there is more than 1 car Infront off you then you need to watch both cars braking and give yourself time even if you have to brake a bit earlier & loose time.
It's better to loose time than take out 1 or more cars at all times even if it cost you a win

Sound advice in my view. The point I've struggled with in my own mind is how accommodating should my approach be, because many of the other drivers won't be at all and, if you're not careful, they'll take advantage and drive all over you. My conclusion to this is adopt a common sense approach and take each situation in isolation. In real life, you only have to follow a driver for less than a mile to assess whether they're good or an idiot.

Sound advice in my view. The point I've struggled with in my own mind is how accommodating should my approach be, because many of the other drivers won't be at all and, if you're not careful, they'll take advantage and drive all over you. My conclusion to this is adopt a common sense approach and take each situation in isolation. In real life, you only have to follow a driver for less than a mile to assess whether they're good or an idiot.

One thing want to try even if I can't stay in the top 10 is a few clean races where I don't go off at any time or get that deserved corner cut or track limits penalty.

One thing want to try even if I can't stay in the top 10 is a few clean races where I don't go off at any time or get that deserved corner cut or track limits penalty.

A high starting grid position seems to reduce the risk of the bundle on the first bend, which can lead to shunting with the innocent party often being the loser. I've found that after lap one, the field has settled to a large extent and at that point you let the faster drivers go, because it's fruitless trying to hold them back. I use a DS controller in auto transmission mode, so the 'experts' with the flash kit will always leave me standing. I go for the damage limitation approach and let them go.

I've only been online since 26 Dec, but the one thing I have learned is that those busting a gut to pass you will try too hard and spin off, thereby leaving you to pass them with them having no chance of gaining the time back. I'm a novice in online racing, but my view is to stay your course, stay calm and you'll invariably jump a couple of positions up from starting grid.

Regards

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum!

Cheers!

1. For first corner of the race, brake slightly early, lift the brakes a bit if too early, repeat.
2. haters? penalty system right now is absolute ****. qualify as fast as you can and be "clean"
3. practice - i.e. do not quit.
4. noob? race as much as possible.
5. race, use ghosts, examine replays - discover why the ghost is quicker where you're slower one corner at a time.

I tried that in the last two race I even tried going out last & tried going out & leaving a gap to cars Infront.
But still managed to catch up other cars the ruined my Q time.
I guess it's just a case off try your best

Cheers for all the advice guys. I've been racing the last few nights and by taking on your advice and by...

- Braking earlier and staying clean
- Being more aware of other drivers habits and using radar
- Only going for overtakes when I am confident there is space
- Predicting incidents
- Letting faster drivers past
- And giving space

I have made it into B lobbies and even managed 3 podiums and 1 victory :)

I'm constantly milking race B for all the DR I can get right now! (even though I still struggling with those senna esses) My quali time 1:33.5 is putting me around 5th to 8th on the grid. Need to try and improve that :)

Last edited:
Back