GTS Should seriously consider a series that costs at least $100 per season for drivers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alltrac185
  • 73 comments
  • 4,710 views

Ya, no.

Here's a question to ask yourself. If you are playing against children (or adolescents) and they are crashing you, is the problem that they are good enough to play at the same level as you, or is the problem that you play at their level? I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm being serious. If the problem is that you are being matched with players that suck and crash into you, it's that whole "Get Good" argument, no?

If I'm misunderstanding you, and you are saying that a fee will stop people from being dirty regardless of skill, well, then I present the following evidence to the contrary. Pros are constantly pulling moves that this forum would consider "dirty" if it happened in game.

Senna V Prost
Prost V Senna
Schumacher V Hill
Schumacher V Villeneuve
Rossi v Gibernau
Rossi V (insert name here)
Zanardi V Herta

Like, really, Zanardi's dirty driving made him a legend!! Herta became a nobody. 'The Pass" is between Zanardi and "that other guy"




So, you are trying to convince me that if I pay $100, that $100 will somehow make people reconsider the tactics they believe will give them a win?

To me it's simple. Serious players will take the time to get better and then end up playing with other serious players. I don't experience this "dirty" driving epidemic and I haven't paid a special fee to enjoy that.
 
Last edited:
A proper A+ driver probably shouldn't find themselves racing amongst DR B drivers very often because the one that I occasionally see during races starts at the front and runs away as they should. As a DR B driver I would expect that I brake a little earlier than a DR A+, that's exactly why they are an A+ and I'm working my way towards an A.

I totally made this mistake last night. I'm a DRB driver but on Race A, I screwed up my start and was immediately passed by a pack of DR C drivers. As I chased them all down and proceeded to pass them I would keep ramming people on the hairpin or bumping wide into them on the exit. Then it occurred to me that I totally forgot to move my braking zone back to compensate for their early braking and to expect them not to use the entire width of the track on exit.

I made a total mess of the race and tried to give positions back as frequently as I could with the exception of that guy that stopped his exit line in the middle of the track not leaving me enough room to exit. That guy was clueless.
 
Ya, no.

Here's a question to ask yourself. If you are playing against children (or adolescents) and they are crashing you, is the problem that they are good enough to play at the same level as you, or is the problem that you play at their level? I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm being serious. If the problem is that you are being matched with players that suck and crash into you, it's that whole "Get Good" argument, no?

If I'm misunderstanding you, and you are saying that a fee will top people from being dirty regardless of skill, well, then I present the following evidence to the contrary. Pros are constantly pulling moves that this forum would consider "dirty" if it happened in game.

Senna V Prost
Prost V Senna
Schumacher V Hill
Schumacher V Villeneuve
Rossi v Gibernau
Rossi V (insert name here)
Zanardi V Herta

Like, really, Zanardi's dirty driving made him a legend!! Herta became a nobody. 'The Pass" is between Zanardi and "that other guy"




So, you are trying to convince me that if I pay $100, that $100 will somehow make people reconsider the tactics they believe will give them a win?

To me it's simple. Serious players will take the time to get better and then end up playing with other serious players. I don't experience this "dirty" driving epidemic and I haven't paid a special fee to enjoy that.


Ok, here we go.

I have two accounts, a European and a U.S.

The EU is around 15,000 DR, and since I am in several teams and leagues I don’t have the time to do Sport Mode, I drive 4-5 hours average per day anyway to practice for the leagues and FIA (plus I play some iracing). I do FIA and climb about 1000 or so points per Cup day (Except when my kid stays at friends till it’s dark and I have to abort mid-race to pick her up... lost 2000 DR there on Saturday
).

The U.S. account is at about 25,000 and climbing by about the same rate.

I am playing for 181 days now, I have NEVER before done a racing sim, and I have achieved a lot more in that short amount of time than almost all the people I know in the game (and I know a few...).

So, bear with me while I conquer the A rating in 2019 and make my way towards A+. I‘m not the lazy type complaining about „the others“ you may have in mind.
 
Last edited:
Ok, here we go.

I have two accounts, a European and a U.S.

The EU is around 15,000 DR, and since I am in several teams and leagues I don’t have the time to do Sport Mode, I drive 4-5 hours average per day anyway to practice for the leagues and FIA (plus I play some iracing). I do FIA and climb about 1000 or so points per Cup day (Except when my kid stays at friends till it’s dark and I have to abort mid-race to pick her up... lost 2000 DR there on Saturday
).

The U.S. account is at about 25,000 and climbing by about the same rate.

I am playing for 181 days now, I have NEVER before done a racing sim, and I have achieved a lot more in that short amount of time than almost all the people I know in the game (and I know a few...).

So, bear with me while I conquer the A rating in 2019 and make my way towards A+. I‘m not the lazy type complaining about „the others“ you may have in mind.

I seriously wish you luck, but this is what I am alluding to.

I'm at 50,000+ so the competition I see is different than the competition you will likely see. I dread the FIA races because I am just not good enough to hang with those guys YET. I am a back marker in the FIA races.

When I was C, I was a back marker and I worked my way up to B, then I was back marker and I worked my way up to A, then I was a back marker and I worked my way to A+. Now I just try and hang on to that and keep climbing. If I can race mid pack during the FIA races, I think I will have achieved the best I can hope to achieve.

Paying money isn't going to change the need to just grind away at it and work your way past poor drivers.
 
Paying money isn't going to change the need to just grind away at it and work your way past poor drivers.

We are in agreement here, I just think a proper „BS stopper“ be it money or another form of penalty system, would reduce the effort needed a lot. See my argument about the 12 year olds above.

Good luck to you, too, see you on the track when I‘m A+ :lol:
 
Ok, here we go.

I have two accounts, a European and a U.S.

The EU is around 15,000 DR, and since I am in several teams and leagues I don’t have the time to do Sport Mode, I drive 4-5 hours average per day anyway to practice for the leagues and FIA (plus I play some iracing). I do FIA and climb about 1000 or so points per Cup day (Except when my kid stays at friends till it’s dark and I have to abort mid-race to pick her up... lost 2000 DR there on Saturday
).

The U.S. account is at about 25,000 and climbing by about the same rate.

I am playing for 181 days now, I have NEVER before done a racing sim, and I have achieved a lot more in that short amount of time than almost all the people I know in the game (and I know a few...).

So, bear with me while I conquer the A rating in 2019 and make my way towards A+. I‘m not the lazy type complaining about „the others“ you may have in mind.
you're in for a rude surprise. You don't gain Dr by just playing more. Each race will place you closer to your actual driver rating, as you race more and get closer to what that is you will plateau.

The only reason playing more would raise your Dr assuming unlimited races is that if racing more improves your skill (which it does).

However, more races does not mean you'll get to A+ or even A. This unfortunately is what makes a load of B drivers rage out and blame other drivers. It's always someone else's fault for pushing them off etc. The top of Dr B is alot of drivers that all believe they would be A if they just wasn't for the other drivers. Since they were gaining rank just fine until the encountered this spot in their ranking
 
Last edited:
you're in for a rude surprise. You don't gain Dr by just playing more. Each race will place you closer to your actual driver rating, as you race more and get closer to what that is you will plateau.

The only reason playing more would raise your Dr assuming unlimited races is that if racing more improves your skill (which it does).

However, more races does not mean you'll get to A+ or even A. This unfortunately is what makes a load of B drivers rage out and blame other drivers. It's always someone else's fault for pushing them off etc. The top of Dr B is alot of drivers that all believe they would be A if they just wasn't for the other drivers. Since they were gaining rank just fine until the encountered this spot in their ranking

Where did I say that playing more will raise my DR??

I gain DR by achieving good results in Sport Mode. I take points from others not performing as good in the same race by some formula I don’t recall exactly.

I race in private leagues and practice in lobbies, mainly with A/A+/S DR drivers I know, to get better. That’s where I spend a lot of my time, honing my skills, getting feedback from better and more experienced drivers. And DR I then mainly get when I race FIA. Just because I don’t have the additional 2 or so hours a day to practice for the Daily Races at a level that would guarantee a DR gain.

The longer I play the game, the less I have to specifically practice for e.g. a FIA race. Because I already know the tracks better and the cars. With time there will be spare time to look at the Dailies.

Still, I hold the view that I will be A rated on my U.S. account in about two months and will be able to maintain and slowly improve within A. Europe I use as a test bed before the U.S. races, strategy wise and to work out the in-race approach to a FIA race. Therefore I don’t mind being and staying B rated there at all. That account is just a toolbench.

Actually, it looks like I will get S DR through my FIA ranking on my U.S. account even before I reach A DR points as the overall level of ability in the North America Region is crazy low compared to Europe (or EMEA, to be precise).

Still find my overall approach and reasoning so off base? I‘m always open for constructive suggestions.
 
Last edited:
I've been through the ranks and I have beat this drum a million times.

If you, as a player, make the conscious choice to stagnate and stay in the lower ranks where bad drivers thrive, then it's on you. There is more than enough opportunity and information for you to improve yourself and leave those people behind.

What you are describing happens with far less frequency at higher DR levels. You mentioned people protecting their DR before, and you are correct that there s a protectionist mentality, that's why high A's and A+ don't partake in that garbage.

You of all people should know that money won't buy skill.

I agree but one strange issue is that there seem to be a number of very fast lower level people. I dont know if it's due to DR resets or purposely tanking DR to get wins. I qualified on pole for a daily and a DR A driver had to get by me so bad at the start of the 2nd of 7 laps that he knocks me off track into the sand. I rejoined last and worked my way up to something like 12th out of 15, those are the type of drivers that are irritating. Same day I was matched with another DR A several times over 4-5 races and every race we raced hard swapping spots without contact. I can probably get to DR A but doubt I will make DR A+ so I am always going to be matched with DR B & C drivers.
 
I agree but one strange issue is that there seem to be a number of very fast lower level people. I don't know if it's due to DR resets or purposely tanking DR to get wins.

Multiple reasons. If the Kudos prime stats are to be believed, there's still a lot of new players coming to GTS. Some of them will be fast. Also, as I've been saying, practice helps, so some slow people will be getting better through effort. And, yes, some have been punted down to lower ranks, mostly from SR infractions.

For instance, I often get a 3-5 second penalty for knocking people off track. However, I am not actually intentionally knocking people off track. I am on the inside of a slower driver, and that dude decides to turn into me anyway. I'm talking an entire car up along the inside.

Some folks forget that cars don't just disappear.

That contact sends him off track and I get the penalty. Funny thing is that this never happens against A+ drivers. Those guys realize that discretion is the better part of valour and they fight back at another corner. I do the same.

None the less, I've taken SR hits. Then, and this happens a lot at Le Mans, if you are at a low SR and some door knob decided he's going to bump draft you down the Mulsanne, well, you are exiting that race at an SR A.

Dragon Trail is the worst. You take a MASSIVE SR hit for crashing at the bus stop chicane, which also leaves you prone to an accident, which will give you another SR hit. it's also a prime passing opportunity. It's like an SR sinkhole. I won't race that track because one small mistake can leave you screwed from an SR stand point. IIRC the last time that race featured in Race B, I went from A/S to C/B

If your SR drops low enough, you DR goes with it.

I qualified on pole for a daily and a DR A driver had to get by me so bad at the start of the 2nd of 7 laps that he knocks me off track into the sand. I rejoined last and worked my way up to something like 12th out of 15, those are the type of drivers that are irritating.

Yes, yes they are. But that's racing.

You have to manage them just like you manage fuel and tires.

Same day I was matched with another DR A several times over 4-5 races and every race we raced hard swapping spots without contact. I can probably get to DR A but doubt I will make DR A+ so I am always going to be matched with DR B & C drivers.

if you can get to A, then you can get to A+. I still get matched with lower drivers depending on time of day. It's best to try and maintain a 99 point SR. From there, just manage your race.

I always size up the competition going into a race. If there are B drivers behind me, I expect that they will make a banzai move if they are close, so I give it to them. Then, I take the position back later, usually by pressuring them.

My favourite move is to fake an inside dive. I pull to the inside and stick the nose just behind their rear end, not actually along side. Then, I just brake at my normal place or a hair early. Either they concede the corner, or, what many do, is they wait for me to brake, and then brake themselves, which is usually too late. They go off track and I scamper away.

Or, they simply crash trying to maintain a pace ahead of me. If they are really not what the DR indicates, then they will be fast and drive away, which is fine. If they are driving over their heads, they crash.
 
Last edited:
Ya, no.

Here's a question to ask yourself. If you are playing against children (or adolescents) and they are crashing you, is the problem that they are good enough to play at the same level as you, or is the problem that you play at their level? I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm being serious. If the problem is that you are being matched with players that suck and crash into you, it's that whole "Get Good" argument, no?

If I'm misunderstanding you, and you are saying that a fee will stop people from being dirty regardless of skill, well, then I present the following evidence to the contrary. Pros are constantly pulling moves that this forum would consider "dirty" if it happened in game.

Senna V Prost
Prost V Senna
Schumacher V Hill
Schumacher V Villeneuve
Rossi v Gibernau
Rossi V (insert name here)
Zanardi V Herta

Like, really, Zanardi's dirty driving made him a legend!! Herta became a nobody. 'The Pass" is between Zanardi and "that other guy"




So, you are trying to convince me that if I pay $100, that $100 will somehow make people reconsider the tactics they believe will give them a win?

To me it's simple. Serious players will take the time to get better and then end up playing with other serious players. I don't experience this "dirty" driving epidemic and I haven't paid a special fee to enjoy that.

The problem is that the player base is not big enough to support ideal matchmaking.

I don’t do Daily Races anymore but the last time I did, the lobby was full of drivers from A+ to D and everything in between :sick:
 
The problem is that the player base is not big enough to support ideal matchmaking.

I don’t do Daily Races anymore but the last time I did, the lobby was full of drivers from A+ to D and everything in between :sick:

Depends on the time of day. In the evenings from say 6pm to 10pm EST, the matchmaking seems very good. The worst is the early morning, say 8am to noon EST.
 
@Majorwolf72 I wish you the best luck. You can track your rating here.

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=4478759

For $100 I imagine most A drivers could rank up your account to A in a few days.

No worries, I know all the tools, I have the GTS app etc. As I mentioned, I drive with a lot of very highly ranked drivers, VP_Bellof956, FIA European finalist, is a good friend of mine, so no shortage of alien input here...

Nah, it’s unethical to have someone boost your account and I would have a hard time maintaining the A rating if I‘m not really fully there yet, although close enough on my U.S. account:

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=7829640

I‘ll get there with a little time, no worries.
 
Back