GTSport: Online vs Offline - Which Way Does GTP Swing. Read OP before answering.

Which is more important to you Offline or Online gaming?

• Offline.

Votes: 88 50.3%
  • Online.

Votes: 34 19.4%
  • Equally Both.

Votes: 53 30.3%

• Total voters
Whilst yes its not representative of the whole gaming population I expected still a different result within GTP.

I've had my hat handed to me, and I'm currently chewing.
@Scaff presented a video which incorporated statistics from hundreds of thousands of gamers. If that isn't enough to convince you I'm not sure why a tiny tiny tiny poll in GTP would make any difference.

@Scaff presented a video which incorporated statistics from hundreds of thousands of gamers. If that isn't enough to convince you I'm not sure why a tiny tiny tiny poll in GTP would make any difference.
I was already convinced from Scaff's video and explanation of the PS Trophies. That wasn't the idea behind the poll.

I expected a different result within GTP because I found my way here looking for online leagues, I ran with the assumption that most did. Clearly thats not what matters to most, so Im a minority of a minority, it just goes to show how easy it is to live in a bubble.

I was already convinced from Scaff's video and explanation of the PS Trophies. That wasn't the idea behind the poll.

I expected a different result within GTP because I found my way here looking for online leagues, I ran with the assumption that most did. Clearly thats not what matters to most, so Im a minority of a minority, it just goes to show how easy it is to live in a bubble.
We all found this site for different reasons. I was looking for prize car data for GT3 when it was the current game. I didn't join until after GT4 launched though. For me it has always been, and will always be, about GT-Mode. I really don't care for any other mode.

You might be in a bubble now, but by the next game, on the next system, it will be me in the bubble of the bubble and you in the mainstream of the bubble in all likelihood.

I think there's several reasons why people still value offline a lot. I remember that in the beginning of GT5 I was almost exclusively racing offline for months, collecting cars and test driving them. I then took part in GT Academy, qualified for the national finals and thought it was a good idea to do online races to prepare for it. I never looked back from there as the racing was like day and night compared to the, I'm sorry to say, crappy AI.

What I did though, was to find organised racing series here on GTP, and others in the forums here later on. If I had just raced in random online rooms I would have been frustrated very quickly. I rarely have had a decent race in one of those. So you're basically forced to race exactly when certain races or racing series are organised, not when you just want to jump in and have a quick race. That's a problem for the majority of players. I also wouldn't have done it, if I hadn't had the additional incentive that I wanted to achieve a certain goal. I can understand how many people will never make that leap.

I'm not sure all of GTS's buyers will be happy playing online and waiting half of the time between races, because they're just starting every 15 minutes (if the beta was any indication). Casual players will not be satisfied with that as it exceeds their attention span. Maybe it will be different in the final game though.

Anyway, racing is life, and everything before or after is just waiting. ;)

I didn't really click with online racing until I played iRacing. It really is something special when you are involved in close racing with real people of similar skill where every race is important because you want to raise your ranking. Offline racing isn't as fun for me any more.
Online racing in typical games is crap though because you get the first corner disaster if you join a public lobby and it just isn't fun lapping and getting crashed into by noobs while being lapped by pros. Also career in gt6 annoyed me because the race entry requirements are crap so you can just take a way faster car in and win everything.

Basically I am exactly the type of person gt sport is targeting and really enjoyed the beta (although physics are a whole different discussion)

@MonkeyMan_707: same here. I played one or two online races in Forza 4 or 5, and it was kind of stupid. One third of the players were n00bs or trolls who enjoyed causing wrecks, one third were pros who had the perfect car and setup for the tracks and managed to out-pace everyone by a huge margin.

One day I read about a guy's iRacing weekend racing stories, watched some of his races -- I was amazed at how professional those gamers raced, it looked like motor sports on TV! -- and then decided to try it out for a month. Even in the rookie league, people drive respectfully. The game is very punishing to people who cause collisions, not just with the safety rating feature, but also because the damage model is very realistic. A slight bump to someone's side or rear in a corner will likely cause them to spin out, and collisions cause a lot of damage to all involved cars and often require pit-stop repairs. Dive-bombing into every corner is not a viable tactic in iRacing, due to the realistic consequences of collisions.

If GTS won't have a punishing damage or safety rating system, I'm concerned that people won't bother to drive respectfully.

Is this racesimspecific? Or general?

As I prefer real people as opponents in any game. But getting a full race with likeminded people is a dreadfull affair.

So if gts can fix that issue online all the way. If not offline all the way. It kind of is all about fair competition for me.

@CodeCmdr GTS has no damage I believe (?) but the ranking/safety rating system is there to try sort the pack. Of course the question remains of how good it will be. It seemed decent in the beta, and they seemed to be focused on getting feedback on how it was working to try and improve it which does give me some confidence. For example they asked for people to send in footage of crashes were they got penalised but it wasn't their fault. But as I said it does remain to be seen weather it works as well as it needs to, in my view the "success" of GTS really depends on it (along with server connection quality)

It will have damage (both temporary and permanent).
Ah crap your right. Maybe my memory isn't the best but I don't remember a crash ever slowing me down and you can see in the video him smashing straight into the wall and just kinda bouncing off and carrying on so definitely not the level needed to discourage bad driving

Ah crap your right. Maybe my memory isn't the best but I don't remember a crash ever slowing me down and you can see in the video him smashing straight into the wall and just kinda bouncing off and carrying on so definitely not the level needed to discourage bad driving

Yeah, the damage model in beta 1.08 was way too forgiving. Bumping into barriers at 200 km/h would only deal some minor suspension damage. :yuck:

Questions about offline mode. I am hearing complaints about offline mode because you can not do racing. Is that true? Can you create a custom race when you are offline?

For example in offline mode, can you do a custom race and set to as many cars you like to race against? Set the time of day for the race? Set how many laps you like to race? Many of you may not have the answers yet since the game is not out until next month.

I also like to know in offline mode if all the race tracks are open or do you have to win certain amount of races in order to open all the race tracks?

Questions about offline mode. I am hearing complaints about offline mode because you can not do racing. Is that true? Can you create a custom race when you are offline?

For example in offline mode, can you do a custom race and set to as many cars you like to race against? Set the time of day for the race? Set how many laps you like to race? Many of you may not have the answers yet since the game is not out until next month.

I also like to know in offline mode if all the race tracks are open or do you have to win certain amount of races in order to open all the race tracks?
It s there, arcade, custom race, or campaign mode for lessons
What people complain is for the traditionnal career mode

I mainly do offline (traditional career mode) for my own reasons.
I race when I want to race, not based on someones else timezone.
No matter how well "regulated" online is, you will still get moron TKers (team killers) that think wrecking everyone else is more fun than winning a race. These kind of people make the AI look like geniuses.
Everything can be hacked (see Equifax) and sooner or later online racing would be too, tilting the balance of fair play.

And when I do upgrade my PC, it'll be for a certain few games and not a library, if that makes sense.

That was how I got into PC racing as well, but once you're there it's so easy to pick up decent racing games for $5 or less. It's not like it even costs you any significant amount of money to expand your library, it just happens because older games are next to free during Steam sales.

I recommend GT Legends. Great older game that drives well, isn't so ugly that you'll want to stab your eyes out, and has quite engaging gameplay. Probably shouldn't cost you more than two bucks. :)

Latest Posts

Back