GTSPORT sound & appreciation thread(review)

That Enzo is a class above most cars in GT Sport. I will have to investigate!

Otherwise, it's mostly PD finally making good use of all the tech they've developed and given us sneak previews of since GT5P. Except the external mixing, which is an abomination in Sport.

Your entitled to your opinion of course however I disagree with the point that external mixing is an abomination in Sport, it’s definitly not 10/10 but it’s not as bad as you described it. I’d give it a 7/10 but obviously it can still be improved.

Your entitled to your opinion of course however I disagree with the point that external mixing is an abomination in Sport, it’s definitly not 10/10 but it’s not as bad as you described it. I’d give it a 7/10 but obviously it can still be improved.
I meant compared to the standard set by the PS3 era games. Despite the poor sound samples (and entire missing sources), the mixing was impeccable and feature rich.

Alrighty then this is a comparison from the exact same car models from the RX-7 Spirit R and the R34 V Spec II Nür IRL

GT Sport Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A

GT Sport Nissan Skyline R34 V-Spec II Nür

First thing I would like to say is that the engine sounds are pretty close in comparsion to their real life counterparts.
However one thing that captured my attention is the missing whiney (like a transmission whine) sound that the RX-7 had in all previous Gran Turismo.

PS: I freaking miss Tsukuba Circuit :(

Last edited:
I noticed that signature rx7 whine was gone too, but now it sounds like the real rx7.
Oh yeah no doubt about that but seems like the spirit R in the real life version has that signature whine and you can hear it quite clearly.
So I don't know perhaps it varies from engine to engine or gearbox I do not know.
Can some RX-7 mega expert help me out? :D

If we are complimenting PD for the improvements in some of the sounds we should also highlight any very poor samples of even those that have worsened over time.

This evening I won the Audi R18 TDI 2011 for getting all Gold at Nurburgring Nordschleife in Circuit Experience. I was delighted to get my hands on another LMP1 so went to Suzuka to try it out.

My God it sounds awful! It is a real step back from GT6 with no diesel noise whatsoever and a rubbish generic sound which pops and bangs like a 2JZ special. I believe the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP is the same.

Dreadful.

Last edited:
That Enzo is a class above most cars in GT Sport. I will have to investigate!

Otherwise, it's mostly PD finally making good use of all the tech they've developed and given us sneak previews of since GT5P. Except the external mixing, which is an abomination in Sport.
There seems to be huge amount of bass with the Enzo's sound, as if it is missing a catalytic converter. Quite a raw sound compared to other V12's.

There seems to be huge amount of bass with the Enzo's sound, as if it is missing a catalytic converter. Quite a raw sound compared to other V12's.
It seems it's primarily the interior filter lending that sense of weight, the sound is very much the same as other cars in terms of general approach, as evidenced by the other viewpoints.

Absolutely love the F40. Find myself just racing against AI on arcade with it, all assists off, powersliding around corners as that turbo whistles... most fun I've had on a game for a long time

This made me decide to mute this game's music on races.

Best decision ever!
(Soundtrack is **** and never was a strong point of GT series anyway[with exception of GT2 soundtrack])

Last edited:
If we are complimenting PD for the improvements in some of the sounds we should also highlight any very poor samples of even those that have worsened over time.

This evening I won the Audi R18 TDI 2011 for getting all Gold at Nurburgring Nordschleife in Circuit Experience. I was delighted to get my hands on another LMP1 so went to Suzuka to try it out.

My God it sounds awful! It is a real step back from GT6 with no diesel noise whatsoever and a rubbish generic sound which pops and bangs like a 2JZ special. I believe the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP is the same.

Dreadful.
I was hoping they get this right this time. The 2011 sounds nothing like the real car did. The new 2016 car has the right samples but the mix is wrong and its missing most of the nuances like the later DLC GTR's and RX7 have. Still I'm super happy with what PD did after all those years!

Dreadful.
Wrong thread mate.

Another good sounding car is this:

My thoughts: the engine tone is really spot on (just missing a bit more grunt and a bit too high pitched in high revs).

But as I compare the two I can hear a lot of similarities.

Now if only the Ford GT '06 received the same love :/ (still dissapointed)

Last edited:
How did this happen?
Well, IIRC PD advertised for and hired new audio engineers a while back during the final stages of GT6 updates. A new synthesis engine was developed for engine (and exhaust) sounds, the flavour of which (type of synthesis) was likely "physical modelling" IMHO.

I seem to recall that the last few cars added in the final GT6 updates showed signs that the (possibly-unrefined) synthesis engine had been implemented at that point. GTS obviously uses it throughout the car range now.

The synthesis approach, especially if it's a physical-modelling one, offers many advantages over sample-based ones:
The disk-space footprint would be minuscule compared to that required for multiple audio samples for each car.
Individual components of the overall sound can be tweaked independently-and-quickly with no need to resample anything.
Creating sounds for new engines (cars) should theoretically be super-quick as the specs (cylinder numbers, capacity, exhaust length, turbo present / not-present etc.) could be entered into the synthesis engine, placing the sound in the ballpark. The refining process for each engine's particular sound would IMHO require the most time, but that could all be done in software whist comparing with real-world recordings.

So, to answer the OP's question, I do think we're hearing the benefits of the synthesis engine predominantly; the new audio engineers are likely icing on the cake. That said, they might've had a hand in developing the algorithms, in which case they deserve credit too, but I suspect that their primary contributions would be in the traditional AE realm - choosing and tweaking ambient effects (the sense of space in tunnels or lack thereof out in the open), balancing multiple sound sources (crowd noises and the various vehicle sounds etc.) and so on.

This is all pretty much speculation on my part as an AE, so take it with a grain of salt if you like.

Back