GTSPORT sound & appreciation thread(review)

The R8 sounds like they tried something different, and completely failed, the R8 and the GT are the worst sounding cars to me in GTsport in the case that they don't sound anything like their reallife counterparts.

Yet every other car sounds brilliant.

Especially the pantera.

Well, IIRC PD advertised for and hired new audio engineers a while back during the final stages of GT6 updates. A new synthesis engine was developed for engine (and exhaust) sounds, the flavour of which (type of synthesis) was likely "physical modelling" IMHO.

I seem to recall that the last few cars added in the final GT6 updates showed signs that the (possibly-unrefined) synthesis engine had been implemented at that point. GTS obviously uses it throughout the car range now.

The synthesis approach, especially if it's a physical-modelling one, offers many advantages over sample-based ones:
The disk-space footprint would be minuscule compared to that required for multiple audio samples for each car.
Individual components of the overall sound can be tweaked independently-and-quickly with no need to resample anything.
Creating sounds for new engines (cars) should theoretically be super-quick as the specs (cylinder numbers, capacity, exhaust length, turbo present / not-present etc.) could be entered into the synthesis engine, placing the sound in the ballpark. The refining process for each engine's particular sound would IMHO require the most time, but that could all be done in software whist comparing with real-world recordings.

So, to answer the OP's question, I do think we're hearing the benefits of the synthesis engine predominantly; the new audio engineers are likely icing on the cake. That said, they might've had a hand in developing the algorithms, in which case they deserve credit too, but I suspect that their primary contributions would be in the traditional AE realm - choosing and tweaking ambient effects (the sense of space in tunnels or lack thereof out in the open), balancing multiple sound sources (crowd noises and the various vehicle sounds etc.) and so on.

This is all pretty much speculation on my part as an AE, so take it with a grain of salt if you like.

The direct synthesis approach debuted in GT6 with the Red Bull cars, then the Senna content and various (but not all) VGTs. Allegedly all cars in GT Sport use a mixture of samples and PD / Sony's new synthesis technique, but the balance varies from car to car - the all-out racers are still the best showcase for where PD could take it.

I was for many years touting the advantages you mention, and GT5 Prologue's overall audio approach, with all its physically-informed niceties, convinced me PD would take that approach - eventually! Sadly, Sport seems to lean very heavily on samples still, and very much in an uncreative way, which I think reflects PD bowing to pressure and seeking out expertise in conventional techniques.

I was for many years touting the advantages you mention, and GT5 Prologue's overall audio approach, with all its physically-informed niceties, convinced me PD would take that approach - eventually! Sadly, Sport seems to lean very heavily on samples still, and very much in an uncreative way, which I think reflects PD bowing to pressure and seeking out expertise in conventional techniques.
You're kidding, Griff. Yikes.

I don't have GTS yet but assumed the trajectory based on that GT6 move PD made. IIRC, some mention was made specifically of physical modelling sans samples.

Oh well. Not much we can do, eh? Thanks so much for sharing, mate.

It seems like they just don't sample sound from high RPMs. A lot of cars sound good at idle, then the idle sample is sped up and fades into a nice midrange sample, but it never fades into a high rev sample and the cars just sound like a mid RPMs on fast forward.

I swear PD is the experts in doing small displacement engine sounds (4 and 6 cylinders). They sounds natural and almost good as in real life. However, in bigger displacement such as V8, V10 and V12, they are a bit mixed somehow in my opinion. Still, it gives a better impressions compared to previous titles by the way.

Also, don't forget there is this awesome start-up sound added in race loading screen :

It seems like they just don't sample sound from high RPMs. A lot of cars sound good at idle, then the idle sample is sped up and fades into a nice midrange sample, but it never fades into a high rev sample and the cars just sound like a mid RPMs on fast forward.

Thankfully I know the channel that has compilations of idle sounds. Here is some of the videos :

The MR2 is the best sounding car in the game. Blew me away at first. Sounds like a bat out of hell at redline and hard downshifts. Sounds like a real engine being pushed to its limits.

The MR2 turbo in GTS sounds absolutely nothing like an MR2 turbo.

The MR2 turbo in GTS sounds absolutely nothing like an MR2 turbo.
It may not sound as accurate but it is pretty much one of the best sounding cars in GTS along with the Supra and Skylines IMO. They seem pretty close with their real life counterparts in stock version.

Last edited:
Why are opponents engine sounds sooooo quiet??? For example, Id be watching people drag race in a lobby and when they start a drag, You can barely hear their engines but only their tires. Even when they rev next to me, their engine is almost silent. I have the opponent engine volume turned up to the max and tire sounds lower. I liked how in GT6 where every-bodies engines were loud how they are supposed to be IRL. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Or is this just how the game is?

Back