GTSport takes 1 in Japanese game sales for the week!!

• Thread starter Skulli
  • 208 comments
Yep. Typical split is 30% digital. GT Sport most likely outsold GT6 week 1 in Japan. GT Sport outsold GT6 week 1 in the UK.

GT6 also had digital sales.

I think GT5 is the one that released without a digital version, not sure though. Did it have one ?

Interestingly, although PD is a Japanese company so you'd think they might have a sort of home field advantage, the game is scoring just as poorly on Amazon Japan as it is elsewhere, averaging only 2.3 stars with 322/626 reviews giving it only 1 star.

Interestingly, although PD is a Japanese company so you'd think they might have a sort of home field advantage, the game is scoring just as poorly on Amazon Japan as it is elsewhere, averaging only 2.3 stars with 322/626 reviews giving it only 1 star.

The reviews are the same as elsewhere.

"Is this a demo?"

"This isn't Gran Turismo"

"You can't even safe offline"

"Yamauchi, give me my money back!"

"Is this a demo?"

All good questions being asked there. I wonder if there will be an official response? I doubt it somehow.

All good questions being asked there. I wonder if there will be an official response? I doubt it somehow.

That be shameful, don't these people at all communicate with their fans.

Or do they think they are about that and we are beneath their arrogant vision.

That be shameful, don't these people at all communicate with their fans.

Or do they think they are about that and we are beneath their arrogant vision.

PD released a Beta back in summer and a 1 week demo for everyone to experiment and play the game before buying it. Also, they're been clear on what they want to do with GTS since the beginning: online racing. Only people who live under a rock or buy games without even checking it before will feel mad or surprised about what type of game GTS is and how different from previous GTs.

I'm not saying GTS is better, I'm saying it was not something PD was hiding from the fans or the public.

GTS does have serious flaws, but it's the best online racing game on the console market! PCars2 has better physics, FFB, more cars and tracks, but its online system is total rubbish.

If PD listen to player feedback and improve the game over time (improved physics, FFB, more cars and tracks, wet weather), I think they will continue to have a good amount of sales over time.

PD released a Beta back in summer and a 1 week demo for everyone to experiment and play the game before buying it. Also, they're been clear on what they want to do with GTS since the beginning: online racing. Only people who live under a rock or buy games without even checking it before will feel mad or surprised about what type of game GTS is and how different from previous GTs.

I'm not saying GTS is better, I'm saying it was not something PD was hiding from the fans or the public.
Oh come on.

The message from Sony and PD has been massively contradictory on this.

Kaz himself said that GTS would have everything from past GTs and more, and that online was only 15% of the title.

The message has not been clear unless you are in the 5 to 10% who follow sim racing (and even we were not sure about a lot until launch).

We had members here at GTP saying that we couldn't judge what the final release would have in terms of content both during and after the beta and demo. Odd how so many have forgotten that so quickly.

None of this was well communicated to the average punter and the backlash as a result in certainly not surprising.

I don't think there should be, it's been quite clearly marketed as a totally different kind of Gran Turismo geared heavily towards eSports, people complaining about contents and 'is this a demo' etc., have clearly not read the box or the marketing, it's like buying an iPhone cover for an iPhone and thinking you're going to get the iPhone too because there's a picture of an iPhone on the cover.

I agree with @Scaff; Kaz/PD have communicated like sly politicians. He only makes optimistic, positive statements and promises, with lots of room for interpretation to avoid being open to dispute, e.g. GTS having all features from previous titles, and 85% of the content not being online. For me, that's a borderline lie.

His style of communication is effective for marketing campaigns, but in the long term, it just pisses people off.

I don't think there should be, it's been quite clearly marketed as a totally different kind of Gran Turismo geared heavily towards eSports, people complaining about contents and 'is this a demo' etc., have clearly not read the box or the marketing, it's like buying an iPhone cover for an iPhone and thinking you're going to get the iPhone too because there's a picture of an iPhone on the cover.
The UK box isn't even remotely clear in that regard at all.

In fact it pretty vague.

IMG_20171026_123029.jpg

I do in particular like that it says internet connection required for most functionality!

That's a masterclass in understatement.

Last edited:
Oh come on.

Kaz himself said that GTS would have everything from past GTs and more, and that online was only 15% of the title.

The message has not been clear unless you are in the 5 to 10% who follow sim racing (and even we were not sure about a lot until launch).

We had members here at GTP saying that we couldn't judge what the final release would have in terms of content both during and after the beta and demo. Odd how so many have forgotten that so quickly.

None of this was well communicated to the average punter and the backlash as a result in certainly not surprising.

I was replying to the claim that PD didn't communicate with the fans.

I'd suppose if you're a GT fan, you would at least know about the beta and demo and even try it out. Being clueless about GT is hardly something a fan would be.

If we're talking about the public in general and those that buy GT just out of habit to have a racing game at home, then I agree with everything you just said. :)

I was replying to the claim that PD didn't communicate with the fans.

I'd suppose if you're a GT fan, you would at least know about the beta and demo and even try it out. Being clueless about GT is hardly something a fan would be.

If we're talking about the public in general and those that buy GT just out of habit to have a racing game at home, then I agree with everything you just said. :)
And had you just been talking about the small minority of us who do follow sims I would agree (to a degree), however you said:

"I'm not saying GTS is better, I'm saying it was not something PD was hiding from the fans or the public."

The public were not well communicated with at all, now it doesn't actually matter if that was due to oversight or a deliberate move, the end result was the same. A significant number of the largest group of GT customers are not happy about the situation.

Ignoring it would be the worst thing that Sony and PD could do, as this is the kind of backlash and unhappiness that can hurt franchises a lot.

"Is this a demo?"

That's the only time I ever seen people from all around the world agrees on the same issue. I thought that Japanese players might have a different opinion on this one but nope, it turns out to be exactly the same as the rest of the world.

It is a curious look at how well informed the long term, but casual fan, is. We bandy about the term and make a lot of assumptions but I think these thousands of reviews on various websites combined, tell you that many casual fans don't pay a lot of attention to the pre-release chatter about a game. It appears they either pay no attention at all or just stick to the marketing broad strokes, which, in this case, we're very misleading if not downright deceptive. As many of us suspected, they appear to buy the game mainly because GT is on the box, expecting a roughly similar but more polished experience from previous games.

Oh come on.

no the message was not contradictory i discussed with you about the lack of content and alway save online part of GTS a long before release: FORZA vs thread message #534 and #544; you attempted to refute and ignored his message now you want to pretend he is contradictory; this is why people are misinformed because of this type of blockage that occurs here

Last edited:
no the message was not contradictory i discussed with you about the lack of content and alway save online part of GTS a long before release: FORZA vs thread message #534 and #544; you attempted to refute and ignored his message now you want to pretend he is contradictory; this is why people are misinformed because of this type of blockage that occurs here
How about directly responding to the points made instead of deliberately ignoring them. Is every feature from previous GT's plus more in the game? Is online really only 15% of the game? <<<< in terms of total gameplay not by adding up the main features of the game and dividing.

no the message was not contradictory i discussed with you about the lack of content and alway save online part of GTS a week before release: FORZA vs thread message #534 and #544; you ignored his message now you want to pretend he is contradictory
You honestly think that the messages coming out of Sony and PD were not contraditory?

That's your view, however its not one that appears to be widespread at all, certainly not among the part of the GT target audiecnce that purchases the bulk of the copies.

Nor did you quote or tag me in either of those posts:

for my opinions? Im going to make this short and painless as possible, okay.
(Background Knowledge) I have played every Forza Motorsport game in history and the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th Gran Turismo.

In recent history, I enjoyed playing Forza Motorsport 4 until I decided to give Gran Turismo 6 a try on playstation. although Gt6 had problems with micro transactions, it was jaw dropingly guud and totally blew my mind away from forza for a while. Then I tried Forza 5, but sadly I told my xbox "Xbox!, turn on playstation" and i went back to gt6. Then some game developer named Slightly Mad introduced Project Cars 1 to me. The game was interesting but fell flat on its face with too many bugs and unplayable with the controller. So, the King kong Forza 6 came along and stumped the already crippled Project cars 1 further into the ground. project cars 1 had potential but they procrastinated too long to fix the game; making players angry. Forza 6 couldn't have came at a better time; I even went to pcars forum and laughed so hard about it they kicked me out of the forum and banned that account; I'm still laughing about it lol. Now, Project Cars 2 is here, this game is no laughing matter, okay. Forza 7 is not going to stomp pcars2 into the ground this time. Project cars 2 has delivered for the people who wants to get in the race car and enjoy the simulated experience. this separates them from having direct competition with the almighty Forza, i think it is a smart move because forza 7 seems to provide entertainment to a wide audience of gamers while pcars2 push dedication towards serious sim racers. Now, with Gran Truismo Sport on the horizon and while it will not be considered a complete game to most. Just think of it this way, a half size Gran Truismo will still compete with a Project Cars 2 and a Forza 7. Why, you say? 1) Gran turismo is the sensei of console racing. 2) its going to blow your mind. 3) its only on playstation offering a more premium race experience than anything else out there. 4) its going to make you want to get a playstation if you don't have one already.

So in my conclusion, you would be very happy to have all three.

It's not really going to be a Forza killer though, it has a completely different aim than Forza and is more akin to Pcars2. Forza is basically sitting in its own category right now. Forza is the most Gran Turismo like game since the old GT's, and it has a good spot in the industry right now.

As such I have no idea how you expected me to respond directly to them? Nor does it show that we were having a conversation about it, as such you claim we were is missleading.

Not that either of them support the claim you are making at all.

And please start following the AUP, basic use of good grammar is expected and you agreed to do so when you joined.

My gameplay on the last few Gran Turismo games is 99.9% Seasonal Event Time Trials.

Currently at about 75% of Missions but I can't see any Seasonal Time Trials anywhere. Hope they show up soon.

My gameplay on the last few Gran Turismo games is 99.9% Seasonal Event Time Trials.

Currently at about 75% of Missions but I can't see any Seasonal Time Trials anywhere. Hope they show up soon.
I would have thought they'd have started at launch. The more people have to do the more engaged the players are going to be.

I hope so to about the TTs mate :cheers:.

The UK box isn't even remotely clear in that regard at all.

In fact it pretty vague.

View attachment 683945

I do in particular like that it says internet connection required for most functionality!

That's a masterclass in understatement.

In all fairness, cover art, much like instruction manuals (nowadays) are all pretty vague.

GT6:
274690-gran-turismo-6-playstation-3-back-cover.jpg

GT5:
205355-gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-back-cover.jpg

It is a curious look at how well informed the long term, but casual fan, is. We bandy about the term and make a lot of assumptions but I think these thousands of reviews on various websites combined, tell you that many casual fans don't pay a lot of attention to the pre-release chatter about a game. It appears they either pay no attention at all or just stick to the marketing broad strokes, which, in this case, we're very misleading if not downright deceptive. As many of us suspected, they appear to buy the game mainly because GT is on the box, expecting a roughly similar but more polished experience from previous games.

Just like sales data without digital copies taken into account is inconclusive, we have no way of knowing how many of these reviews are simply people "venting" about the direction of GT. I.E., people who knew about the game, but still want to be vocal about their displeasure. But I agree, I'm sure there are still some people in 2017 that just pick up a $60 item without knowing what it is.

Just like sales data without digital copies taken into account is inconclusive, we have no way of knowing how many of these reviews are simply people "venting" about the direction of GT. I.E., people who knew about the game, but still want to be vocal about their displeasure. But I agree, I'm sure there are still some people in 2017 that just pick up a $60 item without knowing what it is.
We also don't know if they are aliens planning an invasion of Earth so I'm just going to take them at face value instead of throwing up random speculation about a worldwide conspiracy to discredit the game. Unless proven otherwise of course.

We also don't know if they are aliens planning an invasion of Earth so I'm just going to take them at face value instead of throwing up random speculation about a worldwide conspiracy to discredit the game. Unless proven otherwise of course.

No conspiracy :rolleyes: - just stating that I'm sure there are people that were aware of what the game was, but want a direct line to show their displeasure for the lack of career.

In all fairness, cover art, much like instruction manuals (nowadays) are all pretty vague.

GT6:
274690-gran-turismo-6-playstation-3-back-cover.jpg

GT5:
205355-gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-back-cover.jpg
It would seem to show a decline in information on the box more than anything, however it doesn't change my point that looking at the box wouldn't have helped the buyer understand the change in direction that GT had taken.

Which is why personally I've used verified purchaser reviews from Amazon.

Those we know did buy it.

Back