Guidance needed for switching from AT to MT.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Uday9479
  • 42 comments
  • 2,735 views

Which transmission do You prefer?


  • Total voters
    113
Messages
1,857
India
Mumbai
Messages
UnlikeUday
I've always driven in AT & would consider switching to MT.

No doubt it's a faster option & more fun even, but switching from AT to MT would take time, if not patience.

To make things worse, I drive a AT car in real as well. I've driven a MT before but just like the game, I find AT transmission more convenient. I've got my regular sports exhaust & it sounds great in this transmission as well.

Just like GT4 (I believe), where we could stretch a gear by pressing L1 or L2, the same is with the AT transmission. The more I press the accelerator, the more the gear stretches.

Coming back to the topic, If I were to try the MT transmission, I can't afford to try the TT's atleast as setting the fastest time is based on comfort & as of now I'm used to AT.

Using a DS3 may make my progress slower but learning can never be a dull experience.

So what You guys would suggest that I do 1st? Practice runs or play the easier races in career mode to get over things faster? Which aids should be used in the start or not at all?
 
What other aids do you use? If non apart from ABS at least your going in the right direction, patience and practice and possibly the slower cars, less likely to have big wipe outs if you get the gearing wrong besides some of the more powerful cars you don't have much time before going up or down in the gears, bit more breathing space on the slower cars.
 
Switching to manual was the best thing i ever did in GT.
Totally new (and better) experience.
Took some practice but it comes if you stick at it.
I found upshifts easy, it was down shifts i was having trouble with.

Start off in a car that's easy to drive and not too fast so you can concentrate on the gears.
I found the Alfa Romeo TZxxxxxx?.. (The 60's racing car) ideal especially watching the gear shift from in car view.

I too use DS3 and have:

L2 = Brake
R2 = Acceleration
Square = Down shift
X = Up shift

No Aids apart from ABS = 1

Go for it, you will be glad you did, it brings a whole new dimension to the game!
 
I remember playing GT2 (or maybe 3), and I couldn't get gold in some of the license tests. I switched to mt, and eventually got faster lap times. (Toyota GT One around Cote D'Azur for all you long time players :) ) Anyway, my suggestion is the same as phil_75 - star with a slower car. Another thing I would strongly recommend is not to worry about which race you do but worry about the track. For instance an oval would be a great place to learn, but Autumn Ring mini or Laguna Seca, not so much. That's what I found worked for me. Trust me, you'll be glad you switched because I believe it adds to the fun. And the first time you see a quicker lap time, you'll know it was worth it
 
It's always the downshifts that used to get me. It just learning when to gear down. Practice will make perfect so keep at it and find your own rhythm in the game.
 
Frankly, I cannot imagine playing the game with AT. MT is so much more immersive. Just use the driving line to show you the shift and braking zones and the suggested gear indicator assist then practice a little and you will be faster in no time. You can turn off the visual assist once you have it down.
 
I made the switch while playing GT5 prologue. Can't believe I played GT4 with AT.

It made the game so much better. I then had to go out and get a new wheel because it brought the game to life even more.

Start with a slow car like a Daihatsu Copen with 5 speed box it gives you a lot of time to catch the gear changes. You will very quickly pick up the habit by the sound of the engine. You won't need to look at the revs after a day or two.

However like me, you may find that you get so much more enjoyment that you'll start looking into the price of a wheel and somewhere to keep it ;)
 
Best to start with tracks you know,
If I don't know a track and learning it for the 1st time, I'll use auto for a while with the line, then I'll remove the line and learn the breaking points and gears for each corner, then swap to manual.
I use right stick down (gear up) up (gear down) like a sequential gearbox.
 
Switching to manual was the best thing I've done in GT. Is so much more fun.

It will take time to get used to, so try not to get frustrated:tup:
 
Manual is a lot better, being able to hold onto a gear, or short shift to give you better traction out of a corner is really useful. I use the analogue sticks for steering and throttle/brake and L1 for gear down, R1 for gear up. If you prefer using the triggers, square and x are a good option for gear up/down respectively.

I'd recommend you just give it a try in some easy races, it's easy enough to get the hang of.
 
I started the MT , making the GOLD in the Licences of GT3 many years ago! (as Benny44 GTONE@Monaco)
I suggest you to do practise with the licenses in GT6 , is one of the best way to learn!

IR
 
You should switch to MT.

Maybe some test runs on a track that doesn't require a lot of shifting, not an oval track, as the main issue is downshifting, I guess, you don't downshift very often on an oval.
I'm thinking on Monza, as it's a quite simple layout, and you muest do a lot of up and downshift, almost always on a straight line and you will see the variations on car response when turning a gear too high or too low on the chicanes, the Lesmo turns, Variante Ascari or Parabolica.
Then you should go to a track you are quite used (Not Nordschleife, i recommend...)
 
I changed to MT in this game, pretty much always played AT, took around 2 hours to get it down. The thing that helped the most was the red gear number that comes up before a corner which flashes for breaking. It really helped me to get an idea which gear to be in when taking the corner. Keep an eye on that indicator and it should make things a lot easier.
 
Go ahead and move up to MT. Once you've get a better understand of the MT, you will be able to get better lap times as well has gain knowledge on how to use it better. For example with MT you will be able to keep your RPM in the powerband much longer than AT whether be in cornering or existing a corner. AT tends to upshift when you reach near redline and for some cars that's where the power is.
Start MT with AIDS on first, then slowly decrease the AIDS when you're comfortable.
 
I've always used MT since my first GT game. (Gt2) In real life only my first car that I ended up crashing fairly quickly was automatic. I can't imagine ever wanting to own an auto.
 
MT is where it's at, I have no clue how people can get around a track with a slushbox.

Learn the rhythm and it'll be second nature in no time. If you ever switch to a wheel&6-speed, the whole process becomes a choreographed dance that you can do in your sleep. You'll be faster, and you'll have access to myriad techniques that are impossible on AT. Short shifting (vital for the Mario Andretti car), holding gears (drifting, preventing shifts in linked turns, etc), revving past redline (vital for things like the NSX that happily wind 1000rpm past redline), etc. If you get loose in a corner, shifting up (with the momentary neutral and torque reduction from a higher ratio) can save your butt in some cars.

Practice, practice, practice. Give it a week and you'll never understand how you played with AT in the first place.
 
MT is the only way to go if you want to get faster. The AT holds the car and you back from your full potential as a driver. You'll be able to accelerate quicker and brake in less distance. You'll have the ability to always be in the right gear to get the most horse power to the ground. You'll gain a better understanding of the car and its dynamics.

If you're going to switch to MT then you need to do it and not switch back. Don't go back to AT when the going gets tough or you're losing or you're not setting as fast a time as in the past. You can't get better unless you put in the effort and keep practicing. Once you do get it down you'll be so much faster.

Sark
 
MT is way better. You just have way more control of the car. You can also short shift which is really helpful too. Like others have said, just start out in a track you're familiar with and practice.
 
Iv used manual from the original gt, once u get the hang if gears you really start to learn every corner in the game. I can't even drive manual! all the tips mentioned above are true and add immeasurable depth to the racing experience when implemented in a race. i often wonder if the bemoaners of this game use MT?
 
What other aids do you use? If non apart from ABS at least your going in the right direction, patience and practice and possibly the slower cars, less likely to have big wipe outs if you get the gearing wrong besides some of the more powerful cars you don't have much time before going up or down in the gears, bit more breathing space on the slower cars.

I use ABS 1, TC 1. Rest all are off.

I believe with 0 TC, MT would be more stable as compared to AT.
 
I haven't driven in real life yet. So I don't know much about shifting. I use an auto in GT6 at the moment. A lot of people are "teasing" me for using an auto, but I always seem to forget to shift or shift at the wrong time. When should I upshift and downshift?
 
I haven't driven in real life yet. So I don't know much about shifting. I use an auto in GT6 at the moment. A lot of people are "teasing" me for using an auto, but I always seem to forget to shift or shift at the wrong time. When should I upshift and downshift?

Some people shift based on sound (like me). When you hear the engine getting really loud, shift up. You can also use the tachometer. When it nears or at redlining , shift up. (Sorry, wish I could explain this better.) When you're slowing down, downshift. The gear you should downshift to depends on the car and corner. You'll probably take most corners in 2nd or 3rd.
 
I want to say that I used to use AT in GT too. Then I was like, I want to try MT and surprisingly, it didn't take long for me to be able to drive with a MT. It's more of an understanding when you need to shift. I use a controller, which is probably why it is a lot easier, to play GT and shifting with the R2 and L2 is quite easy.

And besides, when using MT, I'm able to either extend or hold my car's power to where I need it to be. I don't know if I'm doing things wrong, but it works for me!

You'll get it in no time! Good luck!
 
Disclaimer: This isn't an authoritative "guide" just my own meandering thoughts on how to get used to MT mode.

To learn how to get the most of MT mode, I'd suggest that you take a moderate car with easy handling and power (RX7 or similar) to route-X (arcade time trial) to start, since it has only two curves. This initiation will help you to understand the dynamics of the acceleration deceleration it brings you. Make sure to apply sports med/soft for the first test. Good grip, but not to the point of true stickies.

** do not attempt to *learn the MT using races. let that wait for a while. you have plenty to do before racing. (ok, you can do as you see fit, but that's my recommendation)

So now, practice increasing and decreasing your speed using only the gears. Shift up when the shift indicator tells you to. take it up to your max speed, and without using brakes, allow the car to slow to ~5500 rpm, then shift down, allow it it slows more naturally (till around 5500 rpm), then shift down, etc. until you're almost stopped in 1st.

Do this over and over and over again. Experiment with shift points (shift a little late, shift early... see feel hear the difference)... *listen for the whine of the motor. It tells you when to shift. Even the best of us will probably glance at the shift indicator once and a while, but I think I can speak for others who prefer MT by saying that eventually, you'll hear when to shift. Sometimes it corresponds to the shift indicator sometimes a bit late or early. (shifting ahead or late can benefit you in many ways, depending on the situation at the track, providing transmission braking or a bit of extra kick.)

So once you're really comfortable shifting in this simple situation, take it to the next step. Go visit the high speed ring in an arcade timetrial.. It has a few curves to help you start to feel the MT during these accel/decel events.

Very important: Drive slowly at first, try not to break ~70-90mph (~110-150 Kph equiv). Spend a few dozen laps improving your lap time.

Now, like at route-X, I'd like you to try to avoid using your brakes expect when ***absolutely necessary. You're not going all that fast here, and in most cases (except the S after the bridge), you should be able to do all of your braking using only downshifts, well placed of course. And this is exactly what this particular exercise may help you to learn.

Use a combo of coasting and downshifting. Coasting (or the obvious braking we're avoiding right now) is important when you've got your tach pegged near or at the redline. the gears will shift far better when the tach is well below the redline. try to shoot for ~1Krpm difference (ie, redline ~8K, downshift once below 7K..., etc. all depends on the car you're using) or a bit more to downshift at first, remembering that once you've "got it", and except for the redline itself, the specific value and difference will be meaningless (since you'll shift when you need to without looking for the most part, and the shift points will be almost hardwired into your muscles )

When you feel comfortable, exit the time trial. Yes., exit the time trial. Go get a drink of water, "relieve thyself", eat a snack, etc...just do something else... In other words, wait a little bit, just walk way from the console. There's a purpose to my madness, which has something to do with muscle memory and concentration

So now that you've done your mandatory relaxation period, let's get back out onto the track. Go back to the High Speed Ring. Crank up the top speed. Not full balls out, but moderately fast. The RX7 (for example) has a practical top speed of about 170mph or so (quibble quibble snark snark snark). Keep yourself to around 150mph max. You're still going to rely on the shift indicator, but if you "hear it" well then, shift. In fact, try to use the shift indicator as much as possible, but again, if you "hear it" at least consider shifting. Remember to coast just a little before downshifting.

Round and orund you go, Push your lap time. Forgt the ,max of 150. Push it more, try to use your shift points to help slow you into cruves. Most times shifting down will help, sometimes it'll cause you to spin. Sometimes shifting up for a sec can help to stabilize you. Experiment. Spend the "day" doing this.

Once and a while, just get up and walk away for a little while, maybe 5-10 minutes.

Graduate from the high speed ring to another venue. And not that you should leap to it, but I personally like NurburgRing (not the race course, the road), but you decide. Maybe it's time for a quick race in the lower classes (novice, A or B) just to see how you're doing. Do it!

If you find you're unable to keep up, switch back to arcade mode and keep practicing with the basics. It'll happen, (and when it does, you'll suddenly find yourself in more control) although it may take longer or shorter for some. Good luck.

PS> Best use with wheel, although I was using MT and a DS-3 within a month of buying GT5, (didn't get a wheel for almost a year) my first racing game, so it's not like you can't.
 
Last edited:
I recommend having gear switch on R3 stick up/down rather than X and Square. There is some good tips given already so I won't bother writing anything else.

My controller setup.

L2:
Brake
L1: (window) wipers
R2: Accerlation/Reverse (change gear to R for reversing)
R1: Headlight toggle/flash
X: Rear view
O: Handbrake
[]: Horn
/\: Nitro
Left stick: Steering
R3: Change view
Right stick up: Gear up
Right stick down: Gear down
Right stick left/right: Left/Right view
Select: Open RA menu
Pad: Adjust RA
L3: Ghost toggle
 
Been using manual all my life. Maybe this thread is a motivation for me to start doing thins game right :p
 
I too use DS3 and have:

L2 = Brake
R2 = Acceleration
Square = Down shift
X = Up shift

No Aids apart from ABS = 1

Go for it, you will be glad you did, it brings a whole new dimension to the game![/quote]
this is the exact setup that I use, bulletproof :)
 
I too use DS3 and have:

L2 = Brake
R2 = Acceleration
Square = Down shift
X = Up shift

No Aids apart from ABS = 1

Go for it, you will be glad you did, it brings a whole new dimension to the game!
this is the exact setup that I use, bulletproof :)
 
It might take a few races to get the downshifting right but it's worth it. I also play with a controller and since I already have a "steering handicap" I feel like AT is just killing my times.

Just like in real life, I personally feel much safer and confident driving a manual.

I should try the DS3 configurations mentioned here. :)
 
Back