Guidance needed for switching from AT to MT.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Uday9479
  • 42 comments
  • 2,735 views

Which transmission do You prefer?


  • Total voters
    113
Manual is the way to go. With a manual you actively choose which gear is selected allowing you to be more prepared for a corners exit or set up more affectively for a corners entrance. I'd recommend giving it a try, with practice you'll get the hang of it and see your lap times speed up.

In real life, manuals are great fun and for a sports car its a must. I can see the convenience of an automatic in a daily driver, it sure makes eating a lot easier, but once driving a manual is learned it becomes second nature. However, everyone learns at different speeds and nothings more embarrassing than a stall or jerky starts in heavy traffic. But like anything else, a little practice in a parking lot makes a world of difference.
 
I mafe the switch on GT6, upshifts, no probs, downshifts little different. Some corners going into 1st and banging limiter on running really wide into corner lol 🤬 practice makes perfect.
 
MT in real life since getting my license.
MT in game since GT2.

Wouldn't consider any other way...

L1 for downshift
R1 for upshift
# for Brake
X for Go

yeah i play a little differently, a bit old school, but i manage.

Just practice slowly first, dont try to go fast... you've got to teach you brain, reassign all the control ;)
Good Luck.
 
In real life, manuals are great fun and for a sports car its a must. I can see the convenience of an automatic in a daily driver, it sure makes eating a lot easier, but once driving a manual is learned it becomes second nature. However, everyone learns at different speeds and nothings more embarrassing than a stall or jerky starts in heavy traffic. But like anything else, a little practice in a parking lot makes a world of difference.

This man speaks the truth, plus he clearly has a nice car :D;)

Once you learn to drive a manual in real life you will never go back. Even my wife will only drive manuals since I taught her many years ago with my Civic. She drives a Volvo C30 these days. My truck is an automatic but only because towing really strains your clutch and slipping on a boat ramp would be really ugly :eek: as mentioned once learned it becomes second nature, I don't even "think" about shifting I just do it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/save-the-manuals-official-headquarters 👍
 
Ive used manual transmission since I started gt5. The best advice I can give is make sure your in the right gear before you turn in to a corner. When approaching a corner, I hit the brakes, then downshift, watch the revs and drop down more gears if needed as you approach your turn in point.

On some corners I can turn in 1 gear higher than I need to, lift off the throttle and drop to the correct gear as I hit the apex. As soon as I clear the apex im back on the throttle. I doubt this is the best or correct way, but it works for me :)
 
You can have one hand steering and the other hand eating.

Oh, I see. It's presently ~1am and I'm massively tired. As such, I didn't really make the connection and had no idea what you actually meant. I thought you meant eating in general. :lol:

I need some sleep. :guilty:
 
Oh, I see. It's presently ~1am and I'm massively tired. As such, I didn't really make the connection and had no idea what you actually meant. I thought you meant eating in general. :lol:

I need some sleep. :guilty:
I'm not actually the person who posted that, I was just explaining it to you :lol: Go to sleep!
 
Another vote for square being downshift and X being upshift, with circle being e-brake if I'm drifting.

Learning manual isn't hard. Hold R2 until you're at redline and press X. When you brake, downshift if necessary to the gear you need BEFORE you get back on the gas.
 
Switched to manual once I got my DFGT unwrapped after christmas. Although I've only driven an automatic in real-life once, I've had a few occasions in the game where I downshift a little early. Without traction control on an FR car this caused me to spin out most of the time, so I learned fast :P
 
I think it just takes time to get used to using MT, especially if you don't drive (or only drive AT in real life). I know that it took me quite some time, but once you get enough hours of practice in, it starts getting easier, and eventually, it becomes second nature. For me, going from DS3 to a wheel was easier than going from AT to MT.

Once you get used to a wheel, the skill applies fairly consistently across all cars and tracks, but with MT, it's more dependent on the car as well as the track - if you're unfamiliar with the car and/or track (especially if it's a fast racing car or an especially technical course), navigating through it in manual transmission can be quite challenging.
 
Manual lets you:
Ride a gear round a corner
Downchange momentarily at the apex to bring the back end round before exiting
Press the limiter (no TC) and stay in gear.
Downchange as part of braking (motor braking)

The level of control you need to drive a Lotus needs manual.
 
Back