is back
Premium
Wales
Hollywood
Taken from pistonspy.com

Gumpert Apollo New Lap Record Nurburgring 7:11.5

DSC_0180_001.JPG

gumpert-01.jpg

The Gumpert Apollo gains the lap record of the Nurburgring Driver Florian Gruber achieved this with 7:11.5 making this the fastest production road car round the Nurburgring.

Well Done Gumpert!

The stats Speak for them selves the noise consumes you:-

The impressive power of the high-performance eight cylinder engine is based on proven V8-high-performance aggregates from AUDI. In the standard configuration this engine is optimised for use in racing and road vehicles and produces 650HP as a Biturbo engine.

Weighing only 196 kg (432 lbs.), it plays a major role in ensuring the ideal weight and fascinating driving dynamics of apollo. An angle of 90° between the two cylinder banks is a sign of a classic 8-cylinder engine. Efficient utilisation of its remarkable energy in the back wheels guarantees the fully-synchronised, sequential six-speed transmission that incorporates Formula 1 know-how. The short gear paths allow high speed gear changes. The arrangement of the gears in a longitudinal direction in the path of travel ensures a very low centre of gravity and optimum weight distribution. The characteristic sound of the double-flow exhaust system of the apollo with its 3-way catalytic converters says it best – the apollo is pure, unbeatable performance as reflected in the data. Like a comet, the apollo catapults its pilot from 0 to 100 km/h (0-62 mph) in just 3.0 seconds and only requires 8.9 seconds from 0 to 200 km/h (0-124 mph).

Wow.

What the 🤬? That's way faster than I even imagined.

To be honest I am not all that surprised. I am sure if other hyper cars where put to the test, and pushed hard they would yield similar results.

The Gumpert Apollo gains the lap record of the Nurburgring Driver Florian Gruber achieved this with 7:11.5 making this the fastest production road car round the Nurburgring
Radical SR8 does it in 6:55. Is that not classed as a production car?
Edit: Just checked, it is, therefore this Apollo claim to be fastest is false.

The Gumpert Apollo gains the lap record of the Nurburgring Driver Florian Gruber achieved this with 7:11.5 making this the fastest production road car round the Nurburgring

Radical SR8 does it in 6:55. Is that not classed as a production car?
Edit: Just checked, it is, therefore this Apollo claim to be fastest is false.

You are such a cynic dude. Reading what you post makes me angry. I wish I knew how to ignore user posts. Check wikipedia. The SR8 holds the record for a ROAD LEGAL car. NOT Production. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Sportscars#SR8
The Gumpert Apollo however, IS road legal and it IS a production car. Thus it holds the fastest PRODUCTION CAR record.

The Gumpert Apollo is an amazing machine. While some people make not approve of its looks. Look at what it can achieve with those looks.

You are such a cynic dude. Reading what you post makes me angry. I wish I knew how to ignore user posts. Check wikipedia. The SR8 holds the record for a ROAD LEGAL car. NOT Production. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Sportscars#SR8
The Gumpert Apollo however, IS road legal and it IS a production car. Thus it holds the fastest PRODUCTION CAR record.

The Gumpert Apollo is an amazing machine. While some people make not approve of its looks. Look at what it can achieve with those looks.

The only two facts i stated, are A) The SR8 is a production car and B)I t is the fastest around nurburgring.

Now let's do the math.

Sr8 production x Fastest car = Fastest Production Car:dunce:

Edit: It's not my fault they give it a stupid misleading title. When i see two variables, production and fastest i don't really think hey let's bring road legal into the equation aswell.

The only two facts i stated, are A) The SR8 is a production car and B)I t is the fastest around nurburgring.

Now let's do the math.

Sr8 production x Fastest car = Fastest Production Car:dunce:

Where did you get this production car thing from anyways? It is road legal. It is not a production car.

Where did you get this production car thing from anyways? It is road legal. It is not a production car.

http://http://www.zerotohundred.com/2009/auto-news/devon-gtx-to-go-after-radical-sr8-nurburgring-record-aims-6min-55sec/

And most other google searches class it is as so.

Edit: From Radical website

“The Radical SR8 is quite simply the world’s fastest production sportscar, holding the lap record around the world’s longest and most arduous track – the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Performance is provided by the unique Powertec RP range of engines which includes superbike technology in the cylinder heads and Formula 1 technology engine internals. Since the Nürburgring lap record was achieved in 2005 the SR8 has undergone continual development. Radical have improved the aerodynamics, safety and serviceability of the SR8 while Powertec engineering have developed the engine from its original 360bhp to the current 380bhp for the 2.6 litre SR8 Supersport and 460bhp for the 2.8 litre SR8LM. Drivers requiring the best two-seater track day car money can buy need look no further.”

Now lay off. It's not my fault there's so many conflicting sources of information.

and yet more proof from the same website

''Pictured is Radical’s new challenger for the demanding Nürburgring production car lap record. Held by Radical since 2005, the firm is returning to the 12.9-mile (20.8km) Nordschleife course to try and beat the current 6m 56s lap time.
A fully road legal SR8LM will be used for the attempt, complying with the new, more comprehensive IVA test. It is completely standard, built to a specification identical to that of customer cars, and running on road-legal tyres. Not only will the car take to the track, but will also be driven to the German circuit from the Peterborough factory, a 500-mile (800km) journey across four countries.
Dutch sportscar ace Michael Vergers will once again pilot the car, having broken the lap record with a Radical SR8 Supersport in 2005. Radical has been setting records at the 'Ring since 2003, when former BTCC driver Phil Bennett lapped in 7m 19s with an SR3 Turbo. So far, no other manufacturer has got close to the time set by Vergers four years ago.
“It’s several years since we last went for the record, and we’ve carried out a huge amount of development work on the SR8 in the meantime,” said Radical’s Mick Hyde. “The aerodynamics have been considerably improved, now creating more downforce and less drag. The new-for-2009 chassis is much safer having passed the FIA production sportscar crash tests, and the engine is also improved, producing 460bhp and driving through our in-house designed six-speed transmission.
“Radical recognises that the Nürburgring lap record is the ultimate test by which a sportscar is judged, and we’ve worked closely with Dunlop in using their Direzza tyres, ideal for track use but completely safe and legal. Michael Vergers was the obvious choice for the attempt, having achieved the last record, so we have a very good chance of lowering the record if the weather holds out. The Radical SR8LM is the ultimate production sportscar for customers whose primary aim is driving to, on, and from the racetrack.”
Regular updates on the factory’s progress on the way to, and at, the Nürburgring, will be posted in due course.''

Last edited:
Because Google is always right isn't it?

Oh my god did you see the rest of the proof. Anyway Wiki is not always right either, a lot of the info on there is put on by ordinary folk.

Edit: Quote from wikipedia

''This article needs additional citations for verification''

Have a hat:dunce:

the advantage of a real production car is that you can drive it regardless of weather. Why? Because most of them have a roof of some sort.

the advantage of a real production car is that you can drive it regardless of weather. Why? Because most of them have a roof of some sort.

If that is aimed at me, then yes that is true. That does not disregard the FACTS i have stated.

If that is aimed at me, then yes that is true. That does not disregard the FACTS i have stated.

Sometimes you can't just read stuff and accept it. In this case you have to check where it fits with other information.

Radical may say that their car is the fastest production car, which is fair enough, but it's not what most people would call a production car due to how few countries it can be road registered in (plus how impractical it is).

Have to agree here. It's one of those cases of "you can't trust everything you see."

The SR8 is defined by most sporting organizations as a Sports Prototype race car. Otherwise, it would be put in GT classes, not SP classes. If the FIA defines this car a Prototype, that means, no matter how many are produced, that that's what it is.

Radical may "claim" that their car is the fastest production car 'round the ring, but I'm betting that the Porsche 964 has an even faster time - they could "claim" that that car's "production," for the sheer number of chassis they made. After all, in the manufacturing sense of the term, "Production" only means that you've created more than five similar products.

It's starting to sound like an old member called Forza2.0 in here, who constantly made conjectures according to his "Source."

I'll just get onto my brother and let him know. I'm sure he'll be dismayed he can't use his daily driver any more...

Is the Radical SR8 road legal?

20070801_radical.jpg

Seems to have all the required lights, the required mirrors, the wheels are covered by the bodywork, emissions are probably fine (1.3 litre road-legal Suzuki Hayabusa engine) and, look, a licence plate. So... yep.

Is it a production car? Well, they build them and sell them to members of the public who pony up the cash... so... yep.

So it's a road legal production car. Where's the argument?

That'll be two Hayabusa engines glued together then.

I don't keep up with the Radical range. For all their merits they bore me a little bit.

I'll just get onto my brother and let him know. I'm sure he'll be dismayed he can't use his daily driver any more...

Is the Radical SR8 road legal?

20070801_radical.jpg

Seems to have all the required lights, the required mirrors, the wheels are covered by the bodywork, emissions are probably fine (1.3 litre road-legal Suzuki Hayabusa engine) and, look, a licence plate. So... yep.

Is it a production car? Well, they build them and sell them to members of the public who pony up the cash... so... yep.

So it's a road legal production car. Where's the argument?

No argument, but it's pretty clear why people think that the SR8 record should be seperate to the 'true' roadcars.

Like the looks or not, this is a car that actually can outrun its ugly. And if you're going to buy an Gumpert, I doubt looks are a very important factor. Those people buy Lamborghinis.

No argument, but it's pretty clear why people think that the SR8 record should be seperate to the 'true' roadcars.

I'm sure the same people wouldn't be in a hurry to claim the Jaguar C-Type wasn't a "true" roadcar...

At the end of the day, all i posted was facts that the SR8 is a faster production car than the Apollo, which is true.

Your point of trying to argue the case of wether you believe the SR8 should be classed as a production car is irrelevant. That is merely your oppinion, not fact.
Some people just can't take it when you disprove them, they have to look for arguments against the true facts, even if they are purely oppinion based.
Yes the appolo is a fine achievement, and may, note i said may, make a better daily driver than the SR8, however it does not hold the record for fastest production car around Nurburgring.
This reminds me of the Bugatti thread where i can put hard evidence that the Veyron is no longer the fastest production car in the world. There have been a number of cars that have stole its title as fastest production car, so therefore people then try to change the course of the conversation by saying well, the Veyron's comfortable and all this crap. The fact is the Veyron is not the fastest production car, period. Im not disputing what is the better car or daily driver, im merely stating a fact.
Note the key point of the initial thread was to claim the Apollo is the fastest prouction car around Nurburgring. It wasn't to say well the Apollo can be drived everyday and the SR8 can't. Following this line of reasoning it would be reasonable to assume you lot are the ones going off topic. I however am merely dissproving the thread title.

Last edited:
I just don't get why folk care so much about it to argue constantly. I know the Radical is a production car and is road legal and I know I could buy one and I know it's done 6'55 around the Nordschliefe. I know the Apollo is a production car and is road legal and I know I could buy one and I know it's done 7'11 around the Nordshleife. I know there are arguments against the Radical and how it's time shouldn't count, but it counts from my point of view.

I'll never drive either, so I don't care enough to get into an argument about it.

Who cares anymore....It's just a bragging point for these cars & has started giving people these ideas that if Car A is faster than Car B here, Car A is faster everywhere else.

It's a great feat, but it's doesn't hold the same "wow" factory as it used, imo. Every manufacturer already seems to know how to go faster by a couple seconds here & there.

As for the production argument, I stopped bothering about that a long time ago. The opinion of a "production car" is so varied, that some people don't even consider the McLaren F1, XJ220, EB110, or anything else with small production numbers as actual production cars.

Who cares anymore....It's just a bragging point for these cars & has started giving people these ideas that if Car A is faster than Car B here, Car A is faster everywhere else.

It's a great feat, but it's doesn't hold the same "wow" factory as it used, imo. Every manufacturer already seems to know how to go faster by a couple seconds here & there.

As for the production argument, I stopped bothering about that a long time ago. The opinion of a "production car" is so varied, that some people don't even consider the McLaren F1, XJ220, EB110, or anything else with small production numbers as actual production cars.

I think oppinion is beside the point. I was going of stated facts myself, not oppinion like the others.

Back