Had my first drive with a wheel........wow

Just thought about this.... what view are you using? I was a chase cam for life guy, having played racing/car gmes since the 80's i just could never get used to anything else. As soon as i got the wheel i had to switch to hood cam. Being behind the car with a wheel made everything look and feel weird somehow....

To be honest real cars are very far from 1080° range on the wheel (probably half ?)
The 180° thing is probably because he is used to go kart ? I tried the G29 for 3 days and I hated the fact it felt nothing like a real wheel. The thing is you can't adjust the range of G29 so like you said, he has little to no clue what he is talking about.
what??? have you ever driven a car? of course it's got 1 full rotation and a half on each side!!! The roads would be an absolute rampage if that wasn't the case!
also the guy was talking about the t150.

btw, I believe the g29 doesn't do 1080, just 900, which is not as good to chill.
In the game, wheels that do 1080 are set to 1080 for all road cars and Gr4. They are set to 900 for drift tab, something like 540 for Gr3 Gr2 Gr1 (but it doesn't affect the feeling much because the max angle at the wheels is also diminished a lot), and maybe 360 for formula/red bull cars, and even less for gokart.

Just thought about this.... what view are you using? I was a chase cam for life guy, having played racing/car gmes since the 80's i just could never get used to anything else. As soon as i got the wheel i had to switch to hood cam. Being behind the car with a wheel made everything look and feel weird somehow....

I had to switch from bumper to cockpit view when I got the wheel as my timing was slightly off on the wheel inputs. I'd turn in too early on one lap, overcompensate on the next and any time I got the turn in exactly right felt like guesswork.

I brought a lot of bad DS4 habits with me though. Not looking forward far enough and too heavy on the steering top of the list as it was so easy to go lock to lock, it was much easier to hit the turn right in. Putting myself in the car forced me into looking much further forwards for more thinking time and steering the car felt more natural than pivot steering it from out front.

Looking back, I know I made a mistake by thinking 3 decades of real driving would help with the transition. The only benefit I got out of all those years was how big the car is from the inside, what the wheel does and which pedal is which. Plenty of real world theory that didn't help me one iota in the game.:lol:

what??? have you ever driven a car? of course it's got 1 full rotation and a half on each side!!! The roads would be an absolute rampage if that wasn't the case!
I don't remember driving a car with so much rotation. It was always 1.2 or 1.3 rotation per side max as far as I recall ( does it change depending on the brands?) but anyways I was more talking about racing cars (GT3, LMP etc) that for sure have way less rotation than regular road/city cars

How do you know how the game ajust the angle ?

Switching from the pad to the wheel is not easy. When I went from the pad to the t150 it was a whole new thing for me. I expected to be really faaast, beating my times on the pad quite easily. Boy was I wrong. The number of times I spun, crashed, pirouetted, heck I may have even flown a couple of times, I swear I came close to throwing the wheel out. If it wasn't for the smirk on my wife's face I swear I would have, but there was no way I would admit that maybe I'd overestimated my own 'expertise' so to speak. So I packed away the controller, selected the car I felt most comfortable in (Genesis Gr4 at the time), switched off all aids at once, except for ABS, switched to manual transmission and spent weeks just trying to get clean sectors. At some point I stopped spinning and crashing, first came clean sectors, then clean laps and after a while faster laps.

Don't give up. Keep at it. The only change I made was to the torque and the other setting, can't remember what it is. Find one that works for you and go at it. I can't drive with a pad anymore lol, at least not without being all over the road for a few laps.

I don't remember driving a car with so much rotation. It was always 1.2 or 1.3 rotation per side max as far as I recall ( does it change depending on the brands?) but anyways I was more talking about racing cars (GT3, LMP etc) that for sure have way less rotation than regular road/city cars

How do you know how the game ajust the angle ?
1.3 on each side that would be 960 lol. Anyway its probably 1080, you just don't need to go there.
Like I said GT3 cars are 540 at the steering wheel but they also have much less steering angle (I really don't know about this but Id guess they're like 20degrees instead of something like 40degrees for usual road cars), this combination makes them feel similar around the track, they're just harder to park.
Not sure what you're asking how do I know how the game adjusts the game, if you drive them you should know.

Looking back, I know I made a mistake by thinking 3 decades of real driving would help with the transition. The only benefit I got out of all those years was how big the car is from the inside, what the wheel does and which pedal is which. Plenty of real world theory that didn't help me one iota in the game.:lol:
Real driving experience definitely helps. I got my Mum, who is in her mid 70s, to try my wheel setup. There's no way she'd have even tried it with a controller. With 20-30 minutes of trying, she was able to get gold on the first Fuji circuit experience. Okay, it's literally brake, turn, accelerate, and you're done, but I also took my console round to a friend's house, and two friends there tried the exact same circuit experience with the controller, and neither of them beat the time my Mum did with the wheel.

No G forces, very little feedback and I'm sat in a challenge seat in the centre of my living room with a wheel not much bigger than my hand.:P

And that's still one of the reasons why I still use a controller. It doesn't feel like driving a real car at all therefore I decided, (I tried it), not to bother. The biggest disappointment for me was the brake pedal, (T3PA), felt nothing like the real thing. The other reason was space, my wife wouldn't allow me to keep it out so I soon got fed up moving out about all the time.
I will probably try again when one of the kids move out and I can get a gaming room all to myself. Not trying to diss anyone else's experience mind, each to their own 👍

They're useful things as they work wonders for consistency once you're used to them and you'll love the tyre wear. It's a fun and rewarding toy anyway.

If there's one thing that pisses me off more than other with my rig though, it's the setting up and packing away. It only takes a couple of minutes to do both but multiply that by 100's for the time you own it and it becomes a battle of will whether you play or not. I'll fancy a drive, look at the rig in the corner a few times and say sod it, I'll watch telly instead.

Desperate for a permanent set up but I'm failing at persuading my kids to leave home. They're rooted in for the foreseeable future. :irked:

I've had the same challenge too, bought my wheel last weekend and it's been a bit of struggle going through the shakedown. But I got a little better after a few AI races, albeit still shaky start.

I considered buying wheel for some time now and even though I knew, that I wouldn't have the same pace as on controller right away, I didn't know the transition would be this difficult, by reading all the comments there. It must be a very different feeling on the wheel. But I'm not losing my hopes, I will try to get some wheel, mainly because I think it will make the game more enjoyable and I'll probably get similar, maybe faster pace than on the controller after time. I will get either T150 or G29. Only one question...do you need to have a PC, in order to setup the wheel?

I considered buying wheel for some time now and even though I knew, that I wouldn't have the same pace as on controller right away, I didn't know the transition would be this difficult, by reading all the comments there. It must be a very different feeling on the wheel. But I'm not losing my hopes, I will try to get some wheel, mainly because I think it will make the game more enjoyable and I'll probably get similar, maybe faster pace than on the controller after time. I will get either T150 or G29. Only one question...do you need to have a PC, in order to setup the wheel?
Depends on whether you're playing on console or PC. I plugged mine to the PS4 and everything was set up by itself at the press of the PS button on the wheel.

Transition from DS4 to wheel is indeed different. For my case, it's more like back to square one from being slow to getting fast.

However, one huge advice I could have is: drive like how you do in real life. The handling feel is pretty much the same as a road car (if you've got a qualified driver's license or a learner), after going through a few runs. Treat the car well and it'll reward you back well too.

As @TurboTacho mentions, on PS4 most wheels are plug and play, but it still pays to have PC access for Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheel bases as both update their driver and firmware packages regularly. These updates include bug fixes, performance enhancements and compatibility with other new products in their ecosystems.

An example of the latest Thrustmaster update: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/pub/webupdate/T500RS/Package_2019_TTRS_1_Release-Notes.txt

If you have the time to adapt to the wheel (could take more than a week of regular use) I'm sure you'll learn to enjoy racing with it... but if you're short on time (or patience for that matter) you could try an easier wheel to adapt to:

Is there any wheel more afordable than T150 for ps4 to play GT sport?

Asking that cause like some people here space it´s a issue at the moment and to fix a wheel permanently it´s not an option and im a beginner also, i think it´s a good idea to start early with a wheel cause of adaptation, imagine i get to rank A with a Ds4 and than i get a wheel later on and will have to learn to play again XD.

Even a wheel whitout FFB probably will help the transition no ?

took me over a year to be consistent and vaguely competitive give it time, observe, do mistake and learn from them. dont use KTM to start with :D
start with mx5 move onto porsche 911 in Nclass then 458 GT3 and occasionally switch between fwd car with rwd and when you start noticing differences you will improve even faster. thats what worked for me. i was changing between games a lot and tried to stick to mid engine cars. and project cars2 has pinpointed some major differences in handling. and at some point it clicked. everyones route will be different but start with slow cars

OK gave it another whirl, I run NGP in the Merc GT3 as it is the car and track i am most comfortable with. Here are my thoughts;
  • 100% improvement once I reduced steering lock to the absolute minimum available.
  • At 900 or more degrees I was having all sorts of issues on exit where i couldn't get the wheel back to centre fast enough and as i hit the gas i would spin in both directions through either not getting the wheel back to centre or over correcting
  • Definitely feel the DS4 has a far stickier back end on the cars, there is way, way less understeer with the wheel which explains why i got eaten alive in long fast corners on the DS4
  • Also feel there is way more lift oversteer, especially as i lift off the brake the car turns more aggressively
  • I cannot feel the front tyres at all, with the DS4 i could feel the understeer but with the wheel I have absolutely no idea what the front end is doing
  • Still feels like I am driving in a detached manner, almost from memory rather than what the car is telling me
Managed a tick under 2 minutes on Hards and I think with a pad i hit 1.57 or 1.58. Still feel very inconsistent and a bit all over the road though.

Is there any wheel more afordable than T150 for ps4 to play GT sport?

Asking that cause like some people here space it´s a issue at the moment and to fix a wheel permanently it´s not an option and im a beginner also, i think it´s a good idea to start early with a wheel cause of adaptation, imagine i get to rank A with a Ds4 and than i get a wheel later on and will have to learn to play again XD.

Even a wheel whitout FFB probably will help the transition no ?
Yes a Thrustmaster T80. It's a cheaper option without FFB.

It's how I started, used for a year, then upgraded to a G29 when it started to wear. It helped me get started. But in hindsight I do recommend paying more for the G29 for durability. The T-80 lasted about a year before the steering bungee chords started to wear.

No.

Don't buy a steering wheel that doesn't have FFB.

Yes a Thrustmaster T80. It's a cheaper option without FFB.

It's how I started, used for a year, then upgraded to a G29 when it started to wear. It helped me get started. But in hindsight I do recommend paying more for the G29 for durability. The T-80 lasted about a year before the steering bungee chords started to wear.

Thks a lot, my goal really was G29 since reviews and streamer opinions point that it´s a very reliable and plug and play setup and best pack wheel/pedals for the price, only asked cause i was in doubt about more low budget setups to start while i move on and get space for a more "premium" and rig setup.

So probably the best option for really low budget it´s a T150 second hand for 100/120€ or less but i really don´t like to buy second hand material :S i´m gonna meditate on that :lol:

OK gave it another whirl, I run NGP in the Merc GT3 as it is the car and track i am most comfortable with. Here are my thoughts;
  • 100% improvement once I reduced steering lock to the absolute minimum available.
  • At 900 or more degrees I was having all sorts of issues on exit where i couldn't get the wheel back to centre fast enough
If you leave it at 900, how far are you turning the wheel to get round the hairpin at Nurburgring GP?

If you need to turn it more than this, you're doing it wrong.

upload_2019-9-24_16-21-41.png

GT4 I know, but it's still a 900 degree wheel, and my driving style is still the same now.

And I know I'm very smooth and don't steer as much as others, so here's another example.

Yeah see to me that's still too much input, you're going through medium tight turns and your arms are nearly crossing. It's all personal preference I guess but I much prefer it on the lowest angle setting the T150 offers.

I can't comment on the T150 but I did find the transition from controller to wheel (G29) to be surprisingly difficult at first. I clearly remember at the time that I was relatively competent on the pad with doing a reasonable time at Suzuka in the Gr.4 Huracan. My first laps on the wheel I couldn't keep it on the track and was finding all new ways to spin out. It was like driving on ice. At one point I went back to the pad and found I couldn't make the car spin out in the same way even when trying to. It was odd.

What really helped me though was a daily race at Tsukuba in the Mazda MX5. A relatively slow car on a relatively easy circuit meant I could find my feet with the inputs and re-learn the muscle memory.

Assuming your T150 isn't broken then stick at it. Once you get going its a whole load more fun and it's easier to be consistent.

Good luck, and I hope your wheel isn't broken!

This is actually what I did when switching from atomic to manual transmission. Starting out with a slow car on a short track and working your way up is always best.

• At 900 or more degrees I was having all sorts of issues on exit where i couldn't get the wheel back to centre fast enough and as i hit the gas i would spin in both directions through either not getting the wheel back to centre or over correcting

Personally, I don't think you've given yourself long enough to get used to the default DoR along with the game's soft locks. That low a steering lock sounds great for drifting but not so much for precision, especially with you still teaching your feet to be precise on the brake and gas as they decide your steering angle for corners. I've got 900 DoR and the only time I use excessive steering angle is through going into corners too hot and trying to over correct.

• Also feel there is way more lift oversteer, especially as i lift off the brake the car turns more aggressively

Possibly the non linear throttle's fault. A slight life takes ages to get used to as a fraction too much of a lift drops you too far down the rev range and unsettles the car. Likewise with releasing the brake too quickly and causing a more violent weight transfer. I lift and coast a fraction before braking and coast a lot through corners. The sooner you learn trail braking the better though.

• I cannot feel the front tyres at all, with the DS4 i could feel the understeer but with the wheel I have absolutely no idea what the front end is doing

What settings are you using? Too high a torque will clip out any of the rattly (assuming it's the same as G29) under steer. Like above though, there's a chance you've overwhelmed the front grip as I think the under steer judder comes in when you're only slightly over the right entry speed.

Once you find the sweet spot for settings, you'll start to learn what the wheel is telling you. With it being a budget low powered wheel the same as mine though, the signals are very subtle and tough to spot when you first start. With enough practice, your brain soon learns to pick them up and react to them.

• Still feels like I am driving in a detached manner, almost from memory rather than what the car is telling me

Once you've become competent with a wheel, driving becomes as instinctive as breathing. Your muscle memory catches (well, tries to) a slide before you even realise you've been sliding.

Sometimes the inner chimp rears its ugly head in time to keep the slide going though... He's much slower than an instinctive reaction but he's a hell of a lot of fun to let out the cage once in a while as you can learn a lot from getting violent with a car.

I'm rambling (again) now so long story short. 🤬 lap times. Have some fun over the limit for a change. Highly recommend an unBoP'ed Miata TC on sport mediums and Z28 with 5 speed box at the Miyata+Kyoto hybrid track. Don't come back till you've done a lap looking out of side windows.:lol:

Back