Had my first drive with a wheel........wow

Some people may cringe but I have my torque at 10 and Sensitivity at 1 on my t150. I feel everything on this setting lol

I gave these setting a go thinking they would be awful as I usually use 7/7 but straight away they felt pretty good.

Was on the time trial for manu race at brands indy and within 6 laps took a tenth of my best. A lot given it's a 46 second lap

Then jumped into a race practise and took 4 seconds of best finishing time!!! These setting seem to have dialed out some understeer particularly in turn 1 for me.

I think you have just made me a faster driver lol so thanks!!!

To the OP

A lot of the advice here is to practise using slow speed low grip road cars. I'm not saying it's bad advice but personally I'd go the opposite way and take a group 3 or 4 car on racing softs and practise that way.

Honestly the race cars on racing tyres are easier to drive than the road cars on sports tyres with a wheel

Maybe take the GT86 around a simple track like bluemoon infield on racing softs and just lap and lap and lap until it clicks and you feel a connect between your actions and what's happening on screen.

It def takes some time and commitment to get used to driving with a wheel but the rewards are immeasurable for how much it will enhance your enjoyment of the game.

In my G29 i have 2/2, i tryed out other configs and it seems that the only thing that does it´s to make the wheel heavier and not very realistic, y it does transfer the feel of the the bumps/road in a more powerfull way but the intention it´s not to battle against the wheel at least for me.

I´d say 5/8 for g29 probably it´s the limit i recommend, for t150 and t300 running the torque that high probably it´s a good way to "brake" the wheel and give the soul to it´s creator XD.

People report a lot of problems with T300 and recommend to run low values to avoid future problems.

I gave these setting a go thinking they would be awful as I usually use 7/7 but straight away they felt pretty good.

Was on the time trial for manu race at brands indy and within 6 laps took a tenth of my best. A lot given it's a 46 second lap

Then jumped into a race practise and took 4 seconds of best finishing time!!! These setting seem to have dialed out some understeer particularly in turn 1 for me.

Same with me. I used to do 5/10. One day I was just messing with my settings and decided to do 10/1...my lap times improved .5 to nearly 2 seconds. I was like what have I been doing without this setting for soooo long? lol.

Same with me. I used to do 5/10. One day I was just messing with my settings and decided to do 10/1...my lap times improved .5 to nearly 2 seconds. I was like what have I been doing without this setting for soooo long? lol.
Really? And it's not clipping a lot?

The Mazda Roadster TC is also a very good learning car, it will show you when you’ve made a mistake but at the same time is easier and fun to drive. Give it a try. :)

That’s exactly what I’m doing at the moment, it’s great fun learning to use a wheel with the Roadster. I’ve also had a go with the GT86, that was fun too.

Some people may cringe but I have my torque at 10 and Sensitivity at 1 on my t150. I feel everything on this setting lol

My theory on the reason these settings are helping some people is because the overkill torque is helping to prevent you from overdriving the car. A lot of drivers go too fast and turn the wheel too hard. It's part of the whole "slow is fast"/"smooth is fast" thing.

That's why I always kept it on 3/10. Any higher and I have to work too hard to turn the wheel. Put it at 2 and it's too loose. Sensitivity should always be as high as possible to get the most out of the wheel, no?

Really? And it's not clipping a lot?

To be honest, I’m no expert at ffb clipping so I couldn’t tell you, lol. I do feel better detail with it though.

I have tried sooo many combos it’s crazy, even 10/10 lol.

My theory on the reason these settings are helping some people is because the overkill torque is helping to prevent you from overdriving the car. A lot of drivers go too fast and turn the wheel too hard. It's part of the whole "slow is fast"/"smooth is fast" thing.

Maybe. When I had it on default, I would be whipping the wheel, lol.

That's why I always kept it on 3/10. Any higher and I have to work too hard to turn the wheel. Put it at 2 and it's too loose. Sensitivity should always be as high as possible to get the most out of the wheel, no?

I’m not sure. I been researching this site a lot on this issue and its mixed reviews. When I used that setting or even 5/10, I do well enough. When I went to 10/1, I do even better. I think its all to personal preference at this point

Not QUITE what i was expecting. I am ALL OVER the road, not the fanciest wheel (T150) but man, I am absolutely lost. Tried 10 laps and not able to finish even one. I have seen threads where folks struggle with this transition but maaaaaaaan.

So to the point, here is what I am experiencing;

- No fine control at all, when i first turn the wheel it's like it has a huge deadzone, so I have to turn quite aggressively
- Even on a properly executed corner entry, on exit, as i release the wheel slowly it hooofs me in the opposite direction

I tried reducing the angle to 540 degrees but still no luck. The input feels super loose and indirect, then suddenly it's very strong.

Any tips?
Have you tried upping the steering sensitivity in the options, also 540 is a decent rotation but i wouldn't go lower than that.

With practice it will come to you and it will feel more natural, keep the inputs smooth and build up the pace gradually. Then it's all muscle memory from there on.

Goodluck.

To the OP

A lot of the advice here is to practise using slow speed low grip road cars. I'm not saying it's bad advice but personally I'd go the opposite way and take a group 3 or 4 car on racing softs and practise that way.

Honestly the race cars on racing tyres are easier to drive than the road cars on sports tyres with a wheel

That's my feeling too. a) the regular cars are sloppy and b) i never drive them so they feel alien. I am most comfortable with some downforce, group 4 for example.

The car is not getting away from me under throttle, i just cannot get the steering input right and I have NFI what the brakes are doing. At all.

I’d go r h tires solely on race cars.
The steering with gr3 4 is greatly affected by the cars balance. Most corners you want to turn in while still on brakes.
Braking transfers weight forward accelerating moves weight back.
The most overall grip is had when the car is balanced.
The cars balance is dynamic during driving.
Pay attention to the track camber very intently.
Default abs limits max braking force you can apply and allocates some for turning at all times.
I’d go default abs gr3 4 for now.
Cockpit view gives WAY better visual of what the car is doing in response to what you do.
I definitely wouldn’t change from default rotation on the wheel unless you like even more challenge when getting used to a new controller.
If your sound settings are default and you are hearing a lot of squeal noise then something’s off.
Don’t give up man.

I had the opposite issue. When getting in to GT I had almost no controller experience and found them totally alien so I bought a G27. With that I knew what the cars were doing and many years of real car driving meant I knew what to do with my hands and feet. I only had to learn the limits of the in game cars and to find a way to pick up the cues that the lack of real world g-forces and bumps was denying me.
After about 6 years the G27 died and I haven't been able to justify the cost of a replacement. Learning to drive on a DS4 was a nightmare and took me months and getting to lap times that I could easily have achieved with a wheel took a couple of years.
I can confirm one thing though, with all assists off the game applies an input smoothing to steering inputs when a controller is used, slowing down the rate at which the front wheels turn. When switching to a wheel you'll need to keep this in mind and try to train yourself to turn in gradually. If you snap to full input the way you can get away with on a controller you'll overpower the front end and understeer a lot.

Cockpit view gives WAY better visual of what the car is doing in response to what you do.
I wish they'd provide a cockpit view without the wheel, like Forza has. I agree the cockpit view has many positives, but I find it unusable due to the presence of the wheel, as its movements don't match my wheel and it's just incredibly offputting. I already have a wheel and hands in my field of view, I don't need them on screen as well.

I am getting a bit better, oddly enough pace seems okish but consistency is terrible. I am gaining a LOT of time through long corners and especially S curves as i can trail brake but still find the car extremely unstable when i lift off the brake.

Tried qualifying at interlagos last night, group 4. I am goodish at this track, often qualifying within 3% and that's exactly what i did, with an optimal closer to 2.7%. Consistency not there though, wobbling all over the place even when trundling around.

still find the car extremely unstable when i lift off the brake
I wonder if you're steering too much. The thing with the controller is the game steers for you. You just move the stick all the way, and the game adjusts the steering for you. With a wheel, you can much more easily steer too little or too much, it's down to you to find that ideal amount of steering, and it changes as your speed changes during a bend. You can turn the wheel faster than the game will turn in response to a controller stick movement, so it gives you the ability to turn in too sharply and unsettle the car. Can you share a video of it happening?

You nailed it, i am turning too much or too little on most corners, affecting my entry.
You'll get used to it. Interlagos Gr.4 RH was a daily race quite early on in my playing of the game, and I was already faster with the wheel than the controller, and did 1:39.9. This time around, over 5 months later, I've done 1:38.3. The number 1 time is pretty much identical on the two leaderboards, so I've improved rather than a BOP or physics change making it easier.

3% off is about a 1.40.5 and that is what i ran, i feel i can go faster if i nail it, if i was confident in my entry and brakes i could do a 1.39 flat i reakon. 1.38 is hustling.

I wish they'd provide a cockpit view without the wheel, like Forza has. I agree the cockpit view has many positives, but I find it unusable due to the presence of the wheel, as its movements don't match my wheel and it's just incredibly offputting. I already have a wheel and hands in my field of view, I don't need them on screen as well.
I thought so too until I saw @simracing_jay's instragram. I pretty much copied his setup. I've adjusted things so my physical wheel overlays the onscreen wheel, so the extra hands are barely visible. Ended up being very pleasantly surprised.

I thought so too until I saw @simracing_jay's instragram. I pretty much copied his setup. I've adjusted things so my physical wheel overlays the onscreen wheel, so the extra hands are barely visible. Ended up being very pleasantly surprised.

Wow he has one hell of a setup. So close to the screen. Nice!

I cannot beat 40.2 at Interlagos.

Tried Suzuka group 3 where I am DOG slow on a pad, and i mean dog slow. I did not complete one clean lap in 12 attempts, just AWFUL. I cannot feel the brakes and turn in is so tricky. i can feel where it would be way faster, the esses, my god, it's SO MUCH EASIER WITH A WHEEL but i keep falling off the road.

Tried Suzuka group 3 where I am DOG slow on a pad, and i mean dog slow. I did not complete one clean lap in 12 attempts, just AWFUL. I cannot feel the brakes and turn in is so tricky. i can feel where it would be way faster, the esses, my god, it's SO MUCH EASIER WITH A WHEEL but i keep falling off the road.
Suzuka is quite tricky, IMO, there are places were it's very hard to recover from going just a teeny bit wide. You have to memorise each spot where you have a tendency to do it, and learn to spot it coming earlier so you can correct while there's still time. It somehow lulls you into thinking you can turn things around by just coasting and hoping that speed reduction will let you bring the car back around, but you learn that it's actually too late for that, and you need to brake a fair bit to bring the car back into line. Of course, at that point, your lap time is trashed, so once you've learned to recognise a bit earlier that drastic (and lap time destroying) action is needed, the next step is to work out how you got into that state, and how to avoid it happening again in the first place.

I know what you mean about the feel of the pedals, it's quite frustrating that it's such a step back from an Xbox controller with vibrating triggers. FFB pedals are something that it would be really good if the console makers, game makers and pedal hardware makers worked together to bring to the next gen consoles.

I cannot beat 40.2 at Interlagos.

Suzuka was a challenge for me as well when I got a wheel. While I was decent on pad, the wheel it was all downhill.

40.2 is actually decent at interlagos. I had 40.5 until I improved to 39.7. Try the Lancer BB -3 That helped me to get that time.

Yeah I think i am done. I just cannot get the hang of it, at all. Even trundling around i fall off the road. Not sure what it is but I am done wasting time, i have not raced in months trying to get acquainted with the wheel and i am no further along than i was when i first started.

It's a shame as S-Curves are so, so much easier than with a pad but overall, i am just killing my enjoyment of the game.

Yeah I think i am done. I just cannot get the hang of it, at all. Even trundling around i fall off the road. Not sure what it is but I am done wasting time, i have not raced in months trying to get acquainted with the wheel and i am no further along than i was when i first started.

It's a shame as S-Curves are so, so much easier than with a pad but overall, i am just killing my enjoyment of the game.

If you share a video, I know I personally would be happy to help in any way I could.
I think others are the same. Have you tried turning on abs default, default tcs, default bb, default wheel rotation, and turning ON driving line cones and markers? Have you done the driving school challenges?
I’m sure there’s many here who would love to help you.
I think if you keep going off-roading you are making some fundamental mistakes in control that many people here could help with in short order as opposed to struggling along in isolation trying to figure things out alone.
I mean I get it if you are done, not trying to tell you what to do, but video with telemetry would really help.
It seems you have been going about this by yourself, primarily...

Appreciate that.

I know the driving line, i know where to brake, I just cannot do the inputs to make it happen.

Third biggest issue is brakes, i cannot "feel' them. I have weak ABS on but cannot feel when they are about to lock up like i can with a pad. I cannot feel understeer at all.

Second biggest issue is lifting off the brake, I am getting a lot of lift oversteer but it is very unpredictable. I dial in front bias to the brake balance, this helps but still seems so damn random.

Biggest issue is the steering, I try to be real gentle and not turn too much but the car doesn't react, i turn a bit more then it goes too far, then i try to correct and I am seesawing all over the track.

i will post a replay.

Back