Hands-On With "OnRush", Codemasters' New Racing (But Not Really) Game

what if they instead made new content for Dirt Rally?
Nah. That game is dead. It's all about Onrush now. :)

Ignore the negative comments, I hope to get around to playing this game. It might become the Fortnite of racing games, and that game is super popular!

I'm sure the team will succeed. 👍

The gameplay itself looks okay, it's just that the game modes, tracks, HuD, and well... everything else looks terrible. Mind you I could overlook most of that if they weren't advertising Onrush as something its not; a racing game. That's just shady marketing right there.

They should just call it what it is, a MOBA on wheels.

what if they instead made new content for Dirt Rally?
That's a different team, this is from the former Evolution Studios team and although now employed by Codemasters, they have a good degree of autonomy.

...It might become the Fortnite of racing games, and that game is super popular!
This has been said by a lot of folks playing the game alright.

T...Mind you I could overlook most of that if they weren't advertising Onrush as something its not; a racing game. That's just shady marketing right there...
There was a Eurogamer Q&A (linked on GTP too) a month after the game was announced which explained that it wouldn't be a racer as such; laid it all out - that was last November.

There was a Eurogamer Q&A (linked on GTP too) a month after the game was announced which explained that it wouldn't be a racer as such; laid it all out - that was last November.

I don't think most gamers are aware of some obscure Q&A page (let alone GTP). Those are things you have to go out of your way to find.

The things most people DO know about however, the first results you get when searching "Onrush" online, call it a racing game. That being the Onrush homepage, the official Onrush and Playstation Youtube channels, the Playstation store, and pretty much anywhere else that advertises the game without going too in depth with it.

And it shows. On YT alone the salt is building up over the game's marketing. On every video explaining EXACTLY what Onrush is, you'll find dozens of sour comments, many demanding pre-order refunds.
The majority of gamers obviously don't know that Onrush is not a racing game. All they know is it appears to look like one, its said to be one by (supposedly) reliable sources, and its made by the same people who made Motorstorm and Driveclub. Therefore, they just assume it is; as did I prior to a month ago.

Whether intentional or unintentional, the devs are setting themselves up for a big backlash on this.

I tried the beta, but it was quite boring. Hoped it would be like a mix from Motorstorm and Blur, but the gameplay felt basic and the graphics where not what i expected from the former driveclub team.

So, based on a first play of the beta, I don't think this is one I'll be buying.

From what I can work out from my brief time online, there are a couple of game modes: one where you're bashing into other players and being bashed into by them, and one where you're supposed to drive through big green gates to earn time. In both of these, you need to boost and get air off jumps to get into Rush mode, which is just going a bit quicker than normal with some blue effects.

The track has no start and no finish line, it's just and arena with a thing that's happening over a couple of rounds. Sometimes when you start, you land and immediately get another car landing on top of you which takes you out. Other times you'll be trying to do whatever the aim of the round is, and you'll get taken out by something you didn't even see coming, then have to endure a wreckcam which takes a few seconds, so that you'll actually reappear in the next round, or perhaps you'll have already won the game, or lost the game by the time you respawn. Either way it doesn't matter because you're so confused/frustrated that it's pretty much irrelevant anyway.

So it's not a racing game, because there's no actual point to it, but it is like all of the worst bits of playing racing games online, with none of the joy. Your ability to win or lose seems to depend entirely on which team you're randomly assigned to, so you know that deep down, regardless of how well you drive or how hard you try, your destiny is being written by other people who may not be paying any attention at all.

And it looks like Motorstorm, which was great, but it isn't like Motorstorm, which is a shame.

There may be more to uncover, but I only got in a few races before...

ONRUSH™ Open Beta_20180518215250.jpg

The Article
Codemasters needs players to be a bit patient in order to understand the logic that underpins each event type and the overall game mechanics. If the approach is that players ‘learn by doing’ then it opens the door to frustration — or the assumption that the game is shallow — when it is anything but.

Unfortunately, the beta servers failed before my patience did on this occasion, so yeah, I'm still in the frustration phase.

It might become the Fortnite of racing games.

I played Fortnight for about 15 mins before I got bored and deleted it - I think you might be right...

I don't think most gamers are aware of some obscure Q&A page (let alone GTP). Those are things you have to go out of your way to find...
Eurogamer a quite obscure source? I really wouldn't have classed it as that - I never read reviews and I still know about that site.

Having never checked the official game website before, I did just now and didn't really see any mention on there that it's a trad racing game except a "Race, wreck, repeat" heading one of the blog posts. In fact, linking to the Codies blog via the one before that, there was a piece about the press day in London where the various game industry people were invited to see, try and experience etc., for themselves and then write about it. In it, was said:
It’s difficult to convey just how different ONRUSH is through trailers, blog posts and gameplay footage. You really do need to dive in and get hands-on to truly understand how ONRUSH works, which you will all be able to do VERY soon during the open beta in May.
This is presumably why there is an open beta, to give anyone interested or uncertain about it all a chance to see.

In fairness, YT is choc-full of idiot comments and seems to have a permanently high whinge-factor no matter what; I've given up expecting anything useful from that source - except for the videos themselves, mostly. What I'm trying to say is, I don't really check that deeply and yet I knew about all of this, so for me the whole issue is just odd and bemusing.

EDIT: Essentially though, rally games aren't racing in the classic sense, just TTs run against other competitors' times, yet they all come under the same classification without all this erupting around them.

Last edited:
If, post-Rocket League, “non-traditional racing game” esports-focused garbage like this is what it takes to get kids into cars, so be it.

If you want a better game just buy Re-Volt.

Depends what you want out of Onrush.

If you want a crazy arcade racer with weapons and whatnot, then the Wipeout Omega Collection or just plain old Mario Kart would do as alternatives.

But if you're like me, and wanted Onrush to be that arcade off-road racer that would fill the empty void Motorstorm left players with, then you're probably better off going with Gravel, The Crew 2, or my game of choice (if it ever freaking releases) Wreckfest.

View media item 40643

But if you're like me, and wanted Onrush to be that arcade off-road racer that would fill the empty void Motorstorm left players with, then you're probably better off going with Gravel, The Crew 2, or my game of choice (if it ever freaking releases) Wreckfest.

The Onrush beta has certainly made me more tempted to try Gravel instead!

I would recommend Gravel if you want experience off-road racing in a similar fashion to the Sega Rally games or DiRT 2/3. It doesn't bring anything new to the franchise, but the physics are accessible and things don't get too unrealistic. Plus you get a rather generous amount of cars and variety of environments to race on. 👍

I’ll at least give it a go. But it will really have to blow me away in order for Codemasters to get any of my money.

Why ruin their “abandoning games ten seconds after launch” streak?

In defence of Codies, DiRT Rally was a science experiment. One can consider the early access portion of it to be a DLC road map. I will give you DiRT 4 though.

Don't. It's the typical Milestone stuff. Good and interesting ideas, but obviously made on a shoe-string budget and feeling incredibly cheap.

Got the chance to play this game, and man is it ever addictive! At first I didn't understand the rules of the modes, and wasn't too good. But the more I played them, the more better I've become.

It's a super fun game and most people who wanted it to be yet another racer (or even a driveclub clone) need to give it a chance. The devs are trying something new in hopes they succeed, and I applaud them for taking the risk despite what the nostalgic may say.

4 out of 5 stars, the four being I encountered three crushes in the row. Hopefully that gets solved before the full because I love this game's concept, style and music.

It's a Motorstorm but a modernized one made from the ground up (if that makes sense to anyone, lol).
I played Fortnight for about 15 mins before I got bored and deleted it - I think you might be right...
I don't know man. Maybe it wasn't your type of game then...

Surprised to hear that most do not like this game. I was having a blast yesterday afternoon with it, more so than I was expecting. My brother didn't really enjoy the game as it's not the typical format; far from it. As much as I wanted a new Motorstorm, Onrush makes it look EXTREMELY dated. The game feels much more modern if not more edgy than anything else I've ever touched. Feels much less mainstream and more alternative in it's presentation, but it wonderfully combines the best parts of Motorstorm with a team-based element that has never really been explored with vehicles. In some respects you could call it Overrush. Thank goodness the game essentially tells you to forget everything you know about racing games, because if I didn't, I would probably hate it. Bashing other competitors is a whole bunch of fun and the intensity is right up there when the scores are neck and neck. That is very much an echo of Motorstorm, but it goes one step further by keeping you in the action ALL THE TIME. It's a mechanic that only shooters have ever explored. On that topic, I very much view takedowns as kills you'd get in Overwatch or COD, and trying to better your score is highly addictive. Onrush is something completely different and I love it.

Overall I've mostly been having a positive experience with the beta. However I don't like the tracks - it's pretty much just going around in circles with the throttle floored 99.9% of the time (I'm hoping for an auto-throttle feature, never has holding down a button felt so redundant). There's only one place on one of the two tracks that can counted as a proper turn (and as such has caught me off guard multiple times because I keep forgetting it's there :)).

I hope the other tracks are a bit more varied. I'm obviously not expecting tight, twisting turns in this game, but what I've seen so far is too bland in that regard.

I haven't played MotorStorm in six or seven years, but from what I remember of them they were very different games. Also likely better games, but it's obviously not bad that they are trying something different with Onrush, even if I do have a feeling it's likely to either be a sales fiasco or not able to maintain a sizable player base.
What happened to Blur by the way? I seem to remember liking that game.

I'll pass thanks. Wake me up until I see a Race Driver Grid + Driveclub racing game from Codemasters and its Evolution team.

Back