Hannah Montana (ARGH!)Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter benzoboy
  • 67 comments
  • 5,087 views
Meh and meh. Considering that many of those bands have been a direct influence upon those that you "hate," I'd care to say its a case of the pot calling the kettle black. RATT, Tesla, Guns N Roses, White Snake, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Poison, Motley Crue, etc all had exactly the same look while singing the same kind of music. Whats the difference? Oh, right. Nostalgia
I can't believe those all got lumped together. Just because they were all famous at around the same time, thus had a similar "rock" look they did not all do the same kind of music. Well, I guess if you just lump them all in as rock you can say that, but their styles were different. The fact that I know which of those I like and dislike and why tells me that there are distinct differences in their music.
And considering that at least one of those (Van Halen) had a complete style change mid-career, I think it is obvious that they weren't all the same.

And if White Snake or Bon Jovi influenced in modern day mainstream music I believe that we have just discovered the problem. [/silly opinion-based joke]


Taste in music is completely subjective, there's really nothing you can argue over besides whether you like it or not. Believe it or not, there is no best artist or genre or musical period, it's all in the ears of the individual listener.
How can you say that? Everyone knows that Led Zeppelin was the greatest band EVAR and that fact cannot be argued. No, don't try. You will just look silly. :sly:

Anything that spawned from Achy Breaky Heart is not worth listening to in my opinion, though :)
He did have other songs, but his problem was that he got big during the whole line-dancing craze (what was that?) and that song was perfect for it.

Had it not been for that timing he would have just faded as a mediocre country artist, and the world would be a better place.
 
No hard feelings, but in general, I disagree. I see a good future for new music, but like I said, its the non-corporate stuff that is going to lead the way. Hate the emo/punk scene as much as you like, but give them credit, I haven't seen something explode like that since the alternative thing back in the early '90s.

One thing about rap:

I'm finding it funny how they're all working to top themselves, and in the process, are pushing themselves into obscurity immediately just for a single record sale. It seems safe to say that we will see a split (I think) in the rap genre, where you get the Kanye Wests and Commons away from Soulja Boy and T-Pain. Its a different kind of rap that makes very different kinds of money, and as they say, a divided house cannot stand.
 
It seems safe to say that we will see a split (I think) in the rap genre, where you get the Kanye Wests and Commons away from Soulja Boy and T-Pain. Its a different kind of rap that makes very different kinds of money, and as they say, a divided house cannot stand.

There's been a split in rap music in rap music since about 1986 (by my estimation); there isn't really a commercially-defined name for the different types of it though. Rap music was borne out basic poetic structure, and the music behind the lyrics were based on backgrounds of pop/R&B standards of the time. Electronic instruments and turntables helped create the sound; it had to be portable since many DJs/rappers appears at parties and outdoors in the early days. There were no moving vans, and no certainly no tours, just gigs based on flyers printed up for contests.

Electronic instruments were changing too, both in complexity and technology, so there were splits in dance-oriented rap (the basis of House, when combined with Detroit Techno, which influenced Elecktrofunk before House) and the lyrical stuff. Later came different rap content; sub-genres were based on that, conscious lyrics intended to raise awareness and lyrics intended to talk about basic everyday things and feelings. Rap was an underground music genre at that time; many rappers and many DJs, but only a handful were signed to record labels at the time.

Sometime around 1986 when Run-DMC remade Aerosmith's "Walk This Way", you had rap music reaching out to a different audience, it became accessible as a crossover hit to various radio stations. There were a few (semi-)independent record labels (Tommy Boy, Cold Chillin', Def Jam), but nothing like we see today. A few years later, rap became bigger and bigger, more airplay, more radio stations, and videos. That meant the major labels could open their checkbooks and sign whatever talent was out there.

Rappers today still argue until the cows come home over who's a sell-out and who's underground, and that's been argued for ages; it's a two-way street, since the underground can't make money and garner much interest unless there's pop-act giving exposure to the genre, and vice-versa...if nobody's making anything creative out of the genre (i.e. not selling-out), it dies out from over-exposure. You could probably substitute "rappers" with any other genre or musician and likely get the same result.

You have hardcore, gangster (gangsta), trip-hop (influenced by early.mid-90s electronic music), and experimental and even obvious stuff that defies classification. (Where do you put the Beastie Boys, for example?) So there are different (sub-)genres of rap music; but like any other basic genre, it's hard to classify them, and you can get a headache just thinking about the labels.
 
This white boy generally stays away from it, hence my oversimplification of the issue. I tend to stick to "white rap" if I listen to it at all. You know... The Beastie Boys, Kanye West, Common, Wyclef Jean. I stick out like a sore thumb whenever I get into anything "urban" at all.
 
This white boy generally stays away from it, hence my oversimplification of the issue. I tend to stick to "white rap" if I listen to it at all. You know... The Beastie Boys, Kanye West, Common, Wyclef Jean. I stick out like a sore thumb whenever I get into anything "urban" at all.
You consider Kanye West "white rap"? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd bet he'd feel so insulted. Then again, he's thrown fits for not being as popular or "hardcore" as 50. :lol:
 
I personally consider most of the Chicago born/raised rap folks to cater a bit more to the "white" crowd when it comes to their music. I'm sure Kanye would drop a brick if he heard that, but quite honestly, it seems like hes more of a suburban white rap star.
 
As an idle observation, T.I. is rather similar in that respect, but he is from Atlanta instead.
 
My beef is with all music that comes from a Television show first. Be it disney or the X factor, it just never works. if it was good then they would have gone straight into the music business but they've gone through tv first which ruins it.

Although this opinion is from someone who knows nowt about mainstream music but just assumes a total hate on it all!
 
Back