Hannah Montana (ARGH!)Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter benzoboy
  • 67 comments
  • 5,087 views
ABBA, Bee Gees, KC & The Sunshine Band and most 70's pop songs are perhaps the only 'embarrassing' forms of music I listened to, and I still love them.

Kids will be kids, so just let them have their fun.
 
Reventón;3105156
In honesty, I think today's music is so bad, that Justin Timberlake is in the top of my list of Favorite Artists from the 2000's.

AHEM.

Papoose. NaS. Cascada. Immortal Technique. Natasha Bedingfield. Daft Punk. 50 Cent. Akon. Crooked I. WC. Ice Cube. Mic Geronimo. Royal Flush. Eminem. etc...
 
I want to get a bunch of friends together and go to one of her concerts and start a mosh pit... if she is a rock star there needs to be mosh pits at her concerts.

She puts the name rock star to shame :(
 
sLg
AHEM.

Papoose. NaS. Cascada. Immortal Technique. Natasha Bedingfield. Daft Punk. 50 Cent. Akon. Crooked I. WC. Ice Cube. Mic Geronimo. Royal Flush. Eminem. etc...



Daft Punk is not "today's music"


Neither is Eminem, his last album was what, 4 years ago?


Most of the others couldn't really be called music, unless your definition of music = a beat.


EDIT: Then again, I should still point out that "todays music" is not limited to what's played on the radio.
 
AHEM.

What are you talking about? Cascada, Akon, and Natasha Bedingfield are very musical, and the rest are rap geniuses. And I was saying they were 21st century, not today's music.
 
I have a really hard time respecting modern rap much. Anything by FloRida (yes Florida) is awful. Seriously? Boot's with the Fur? Hands in the Ayer? Rap music had a time when it was decent but it's really gotten bad over the past few years.
 
Daft Punk is not "today's music"

Most of the others couldn't really be called music, unless your definition of music = a beat.

Their last release was 2007, but it was a live album. So as far as I know it's nothing new, but they're still kicking out stuff and doing concerts.

Most of the others couldn't really be called music, unless your definition of music = a beat.
It would still count as music IMO.

Before I start though, Beat(s)~Note(s).

Classical music is nothing but notes, all the classical music I've heard have no lyrics. I'm sure their are some though. So techno or whatever music that is nothing but beats should still count as music.
 
Last edited:
I have a really hard time respecting modern rap much. Anything by FloRida (yes Florida) is awful. Seriously? Boot's with the Fur? Hands in the Ayer? Rap music had a time when it was decent but it's really gotten bad over the past few years.

That's cause you listen to the radio.
 
Classical music is nothing but notes, all the classical music I've heard have no lyrics. I'm sure their are some though. So techno or whatever music that is nothing but beats should still count as music.

Classical music should damn well be considered music considering it is one of the earliest forms of it. Not only that but the fact that a lot of classic songs are absolute masterpieces.

You'd really count 50 cent, or any rapper for that matter, as good music. I'm sorry but when my 4 year old cousin has better grammar then a grown man, something is terribly wrong.
 
Classical music should damn well be considered music considering it is one of the earliest forms of it. Not only that but the fact that a lot of classic songs are absolute masterpieces.

You'd really count 50 cent, or any rapper for that matter, as good music. I'm sorry but when my 4 year old cousin has better grammar then a grown man, something is terribly wrong.

Yes, I would.
 
Reventón;3105156
But that's only 1 reason why I hate them. The other is the look, & the name. The emo-looking rock look needs to die. It's not cool anymore, (not that it ever was). These bands have zero identity. They all wear their hair the same, they all dress in black & tight jeans, and they all like to wear black eye makeup. Because of this, their names suck. They're all generic. Put this generic word & this generic word together, and you got a silly sounding name. American Idiot? Metro Station? The Used?

Simply put, that is one of the lamest excuses I've heard against the emo, emo-core, new-punk, etc music. You're either a fan or you're not, its as simple as that. Certainly, there are bands like Metro Station and Medina Lake who are what I like to call "corporate emo," but guess what, its a part of the scene. I enjoy the music, and truthfully, that's the only thing that matters. Beyond that, although there are bands like these who have "popularized" the genre, most of the real fans know that its still the underground, indie stuff that matters.

Reventón;3105156
Rant about the '80s

Meh and meh. Considering that many of those bands have been a direct influence upon those that you "hate," I'd care to say its a case of the pot calling the kettle black. RATT, Tesla, Guns N Roses, White Snake, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Poison, Motley Crue, etc all had exactly the same look while singing the same kind of music. Whats the difference? Oh, right. Nostalgia.

Actually, it sort of does, mate.

Dressing nicely and incorporating the look on occasion bodes well with women. I've manged to do a prep/emo hybrid that has worked out well.

Reventón;3105156
The Jonas Brothers rant

Meh and meh. Kids are kids, and considering that they're sticking to the 10-16 year old age group, that's their own deal. Don't worry, it'll be a long time before they start playing hits on POWER 104.1...

Reventón;3105156
So, perhaps I'm an 80's guy, but Cyrus & the Jones kids are just reasons more for why I hate the music of he 21st century. I think 90% of it is absolute garbage from the rock side, which is a shame, because I then look towards Pop & Rap for something good to listen to from this day & age. In honesty, I think today's music is so bad, that Justin Timberlake is in the top of my list of Favorite Artists from the 2000's. If it isn't screamo, it's emo/punk rock. And if it isn't that, it's generic rap.

Thus, thank god the bands of the 80's are still around & still making music.

Who's still making music? Bon Jovi and who? Motley Crue. Don't make me laugh.

Don't get me wrong, I went though a vintage phase too, everyone does. The problem is that you're given "modern" rock a very narrow, popular view, which is severely limiting your range of selection when it comes to outstanding music. Sure, I'll give you the fact that bands like The Cure and REM have managed to survive 20 years in the industry, but give some of these guys a try:

- The Killers: The most "British" American band out there
- Panic At the Disco: Note the lack of '!' which has brought a very Beatles-like sound to the mix
- Rooney: Good, classic California rock
- The Strokes: Good, classic NYC rock
- Radiohead: Needs absolutely no introduction
- Arcade Fire: Not for everyone, more of a cult thing
- The Shins: See above
- Feist: See above above
- Locksley: A lovely midwestern run through the history of rock
- Wolfmother: The Australian AC/DC?
- Say Anything: I'd say they were the tipping point for me getting back into "modern" rock
- Klaxons: An absolutely mind-blowing mix of rock and synth
- Vampire Weekend: Despite only having one major mainstream hit, they've got a pretty awesome vintage sound
- Paramore: My third-favorite band right now. A poser-child for what you hate, but I'd say give it a try just for Hayley
- The White Stripes: C'mon... Detroit's finest
- The Raeconteurs: Jack White = Win

...just to name a few that have dominated my iPod since 2005/2006...

I used to be just as cynical as you, but the thing is, its this kind of stuff that's shaping all of the music out there right now. Even Motley Crue caved in...
 
sLg
AHEM.

What are you talking about? Cascada, Akon, and Natasha Bedingfield are very musical, and the rest are rap geniuses. And I was saying they were 21st century, not today's music.
That's why I said most, and to be honest, 50 Cent is not a rap genius. Rappers like Ice Cube, sure, but not 50 Cent.

I have a really hard time respecting modern rap much. Anything by FloRida (yes Florida) is awful. Seriously? Boot's with the Fur? Hands in the Ayer? Rap music had a time when it was decent but it's really gotten bad over the past few years.
👍 I still listen to older rap, but the new stuff just sucks.[/soulja boy]

Their last release was 2007, but it was a live album. So as far as I know it's nothing new, but they're still kicking out stuff and doing concerts.
True, but it's still VERY 90's


Loon
It would still count as music IMO.

Before I start though, Beat(s)~Note(s).

Classical music is nothing but notes, all the classical music I've heard have no lyrics. I'm sure their are some though. So techno or whatever music that is nothing but beats should still count as music.
Techno isn't really nothing but beats. I'm not a big fan of techno (I do love electronic music though) but something like trance music isn't something you can throw together. The simple fact that a lot of the sounds in that music sounds random makes it a difficult task to put it all together into something that sounds "right" together, without sounding generic.

sLg
That's cause you listen to the radio.
Because nobody plays Natasha Bedingfield, or 50 cent, or Akon, or Daft punk, or Eminem on the radio right?

Classical music should damn well be considered music considering it is one of the earliest forms of it. Not only that but the fact that a lot of classic songs are absolute masterpieces.
👍 Even if you don't like that type of music, there's no denying that you have to be a musical genius to pull off a successful classical song.

Diablo
You'd really count 50 cent, or any rapper for that matter, as good music. I'm sorry but when my 4 year old cousin has better grammar then a grown man, something is terribly wrong.
Yea basically.

sLg
Yes, I would.
I disagree. You might like the music, love it even, but "good" music to me is something that takes much creativity, knowledge, and skill to produce. Typical rap music simply isn't it. I can reproduce the music with my mouth or a stick, and I know 2 year olds with better grammar.
 
Last edited:

Techno isn't really nothing but beats. I'm not a big fan of techno (I do love electronic music though) but something like trance music isn't something you can throw together. The simple fact that a lot of the sounds in that music sounds random makes it a difficult task to put it all together into something that sounds "right" together, without sounding generic.
I wasn't trying to talk techno and related music down, and I didn't give the impression that it was easy to do. I think you missed my point a little.
 
Meh and meh. Considering that many of those bands have been a direct influence upon those that you "hate," I'd care to say its a case of the pot calling the kettle black. RATT, Tesla, Guns N Roses, White Snake, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Poison, Motley Crue, etc all had exactly the same look while singing the same kind of music. Whats the difference? Oh, right. Nostalgia

Guns n Roses wasn't a hair band. They came at the end of the whole glam rock scene, but only slightly incorporated the glam look into how they dressed.

I wouldn't group Van Halen in there either. Though they did dress the part they did have a sound that, in my opinion at least, was far better then any of the other bands you mentioned. That is until Hagar ruined it of course.
 
That's why I said most, and to be honest, 50 Cent is not a rap genius. Rappers like Ice Cube, sure, but not 50 Cent.

👍 I still listen to older rap, but the new stuff just sucks.[/soulja boy]

Because nobody plays Natasha Bedingfield, or 50 cent, or Akon, or Daft punk, or Eminem on the radio right?

I disagree. You might like the music, love it even, but "good" music to me is something that takes much creativity, knowledge, and skill to produce. Typical rap music simply isn't it. I can reproduce the music with my mouth or a stick, and I know 2 year olds with better grammar.
50 Cent WAS a rap genius. Maybe not lyrically but he had the most amazing flow.

NOTICE: this song says s**t and hoes 1 time each
The Glow of a Thug

The whole of Power of the Dollar is amazing, and so is some of his other stuff. Ice Cube honestly isn't much better. Eminem and 50 suck now too. They still CAN do it, as evidenced by some songs such as the ones from The Re-Up, and Curtis 187, which is a good gangsta rap song by 50 cent, from Curtis. And they DON'T play most of those artists on the radio too much. It's all garbage one-hit wonders now.

And have you ever tried to write or record rap music? I'm pretty good at writing now, but my voice sucks! Record a rap song, I wanna see if it sounds any good at all.
 
The problem I have with this crap is that kids don't know any better so they throw money at it, or in most cases force their parents to do that. Then as they become adults they think things willl just come to them. Their bad behavior reflects this.
 
The problem I have with this crap is that kids don't know any better so they throw money at it, or in most cases force their parents to do that. Then as they become adults they think things willl just come to them. Their bad behavior reflects this.

?
What, buying T-Pain and Hurricane Chris albums? What bad behavior exactly? The stripping? The ballin'? The pimpin'? I don't see your idea.
 
sLg
50 Cent WAS a rap genius. Maybe not lyrically but he had the most amazing flow.
Which supports the idea that music NOW sucks. Late 80's and all of 90's was the best music period IMO.


sLg
And have you ever tried to write or record rap music? I'm pretty good at writing now, but my voice sucks! Record a rap song, I wanna see if it sounds any good at all.
I've made plenty of rap type music, it's not difficult at all.

I "could" make lyrics, but the way rap is now, using proper grammar is just going to sound VERY weird, and I'm not about the go down to their vocabulary.

Here's an idea of the kind of rap, ( if you would call it that) that I like.


It's probably not what you're used to listening to.



They actually finish all their words.
 
sLg
?
What, buying T-Pain and Hurricane Chris albums? What bad behavior exactly? The stripping? The ballin'? The pimpin'? I don't see your idea.

Hanna Montana... Note I said KIDS.

I don't give a crap about rap, that just means you have bad taste in music. lol
 
Taste in music is completely subjective, there's really nothing you can argue over besides whether you like it or not. Believe it or not, there is no best artist or genre or musical period, it's all in the ears of the individual listener.

Anything that spawned from Achy Breaky Heart is not worth listening to in my opinion, though :)
 
Which supports the idea that music NOW sucks. Late 80's and all of 90's was the best music period IMO.


I've made plenty of rap type music, it's not difficult at all.

I "could" make lyrics, but the way rap is now, using proper grammar is just going to sound VERY weird, and I'm not about the go down to their vocabulary.

Here's an idea of the kind of rap, ( if you would call it that) that I like.


It's probably not what you're used to listening to.



They actually finish all their words.


Thanks for introducing me, nice track. Not amazing lyrically, but it's pretty good.

But not all rappers have bad vocabulary or horrible grammar. Immortal Technique, NaS, and AZ.
Styles P., Jadakiss, etc.. are also good.
Here's the kind of rap I listen to:



I would put Immortal Technique, but I doubt any of his songs are clean.



OH SNAP I totally forgot Lupe Fiasco! And Kanye, but mainly Lupe Fiasco. If you think he's bad, then I have no respect at all for you.
 
Taste in music is completely subjective, there's really nothing you can argue over besides whether you like it or not. Believe it or not, there is no best artist or genre or musical period, it's all in the ears of the individual listener.

Anything that spawned from Achy Breaky Heart is not worth listening to in my opinion, though :)
I don't think music has to be subjective, I look at it with a completely unbiased point of view. I judge music by how "good" it is. The skill, knowledge, creativity, and experience it takes to create, whether or not the music is a work of genius, or art. Stuff like classical and jazz is at the top of my list, even if I don't really like the music. ( I do like jazz though) That kind of music is something that takes years of eduation or experience to create, you have to be "good" to make it. It's not something anyone can do. Look at the amount of teenage rappers today compared to other types of music. It's just easier to make than nearly anything else.
 
Taste in music is completely subjective, there's really nothing you can argue over besides whether you like it or not.
I agree with Perfect Balance on this one. Taste in music is subjective, but whether music is good or not is a separate category from whether or not one likes it. There are plenty of popular musicians who have next to no talent, yet people still love them. The music industry is much the same as the movie industry in that regard. People can enjoy terrible movies just as much as people can enjoy terrible music.
 
Personally I think Soulja Boy is the very best in the Comedy category of music.
 
Simply put, that is one of the lamest excuses I've heard against the emo, emo-core, new-punk, etc music. You're either a fan or you're not, its as simple as that. Certainly, there are bands like Metro Station and Medina Lake who are what I like to call "corporate emo," but guess what, its a part of the scene. I enjoy the music, and truthfully, that's the only thing that matters. Beyond that, although there are bands like these who have "popularized" the genre, most of the real fans know that its still the underground, indie stuff that matters.
Part of a scene? Don't give me that BS. The Hair Bands of the 80's were 1 scene, but at least they all set their appearance & style of music apart.

These guys today sound & look way too much like each other. No image or personality to themselves.

Meh and meh. Considering that many of those bands have been a direct influence upon those that you "hate,"
I see nowhere how a metal/hard rock band could influence you to play in a band when your music & their's are nothing alike.
I'd care to say its a case of the pot calling the kettle black. RATT, Tesla, Guns N Roses, White Snake, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Poison, Motley Crue, etc all had exactly the same look while singing the same kind of music. Whats the difference? Oh, right. Nostalgia.
Except for the fact each of those bands could actually separate themselves, musically & in their image. These emo/punk bands today have done nothing of the sort. The guitar riffs & the singers all sound too alike. The songs they all write doesn't help either.

Dressing nicely and incorporating the look on occasion bodes well with women. I've manged to do a prep/emo hybrid that has worked out well.
I do not consider tight jeans, hair in your eyes, & tight dark-colored shirts as dressing nicely.

Who's still making music? Bon Jovi and who? Motley Crue. Don't make me laugh.
Boy, I hope you're kidding. Plenty of the older bands are still writing music. Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, The Who, Bon Jovi, & AC/DC are all still writing music. Some have released a CD within the past year & a half, but most of these guys still write music.
Don't get me wrong, I went though a vintage phase too, everyone does. The problem is that you're given "modern" rock a very narrow, popular view, which is severely limiting your range of selection when it comes to outstanding music. Sure, I'll give you the fact that bands like The Cure and REM have managed to survive 20 years in the industry, but give some of these guys a try:
- Panic At the Disco: Note the lack of '!' which has brought a very Beatles-like sound to the mix
Absolute, hell no. I've heard their music. They can fade into obscurity for all I care, and they are nothing like the Beatles.
- Rooney: Good, classic California rock
Decent. Singer isn't exactly unique by any means, but "When Did Your Heart Go Missing" is ok.
- The Strokes: Good, classic NYC rock
Tolerable. Guitar riffs & singer sound a bit generic. Nothing that stands out to me.
- Radiohead: Needs absolutely no introduction
Great, but not a modern band. Been around since the 90's, which is a decade I liked.
- Arcade Fire: Not for everyone, more of a cult thing
Def. no.
- The Shins: See above
Not bad. Again, singer doesn't stand out, but the music does. Must be a thing among 3-member bands (besides Green Day).
- Feist: See above above
Actually ok. Then again, I haven't heard too many bands with a female as the lead singer, so it's semi-new to me.
- Locksley: A lovely midwestern run through the history of rock
Not impressed by the videos on YouTube....
- Wolfmother: The Australian AC/DC?
Good. I like "Woman", and the singer def. has a unique voice. 👍
- Say Anything: I'd say they were the tipping point for me getting back into "modern" rock
No. Singer is annoying as hell, like he's trying to hard.
- Klaxons: An absolutely mind-blowing mix of rock and synth
Golden Sxans isn't bad, but the rest of their music isn't mind-blowing.
- Vampire Weekend: Despite only having one major mainstream hit, they've got a pretty awesome vintage sound
I see nothing vintage here. No, thank you.
- Paramore: My third-favorite band right now. A poser-child for what you hate, but I'd say give it a try just for Hayley
No, thank you again. Female lead singer (I'm assuming, Hayley) is ok. The band isn't.
- The White Stripes: C'mon... Detroit's finest
No. Plain & simple. I like them about as much as I like Panic.
- The Raeconteurs: Jack White = Win
No thanks, again.

Some of these bands are decent, but none of them are ones I want to listen to. None of their songs make me want to listen to the next.
I used to be just as cynical as you, but the thing is, its this kind of stuff that's shaping all of the music out there right now. Even Motley Crue caved in...
Yeah, I'd go listen to their new album before making that ludicruous statement. S.O.L.A. sounds like an album from their past, so it's obvious they haven't caved in to the "music" spewed out by today's bands. Neil is still a unique singer, and Mick is still capable of playing his guitar to rhythm he always has. Motley Crue have far from caved in.
 
Last edited:
Well the German AC/DC is Accept :lol:
 
I thought the Australian AC/DC was AC/DC?

I think they still are, but haven't recently checked. ;)


On the this rap issue, I'll like it if it's fun and has a catchy beat, good lyrics and if it's clever enough with the right blend of melody, harmony and musicianship.

However, most rap, about 95-99% of it, is absolute garbage. It's about a sham lifestyle and endless self-important bragging and not about any real musicianship.
 
I think they still are, but haven't recently checked. ;)


On the this rap issue, I'll like it if it's fun and has a catchy beat, good lyrics and if it's clever enough with the right blend of melody, harmony and musicianship.

However, most rap, about 95-99% of it, is absolute garbage. It's about a sham lifestyle and endless self-important bragging and not about any real musicianship.
+1 Solid. I feel the exact, same way. 👍
 
Back