hard to drift with G25

• Thread starter u982245
  • 64 comments
all im sayin is everything has a learning curve..jumping straight into driftin with the G25 on GT5P is quite a steep one..!! Why shouldnt you be able to tweak the settings to make it a bit easier..then adjust them back as your skills improve.

personally i find drifting difficult too..i find it easier using S1/2 tyres and probably attacking with a bit more speed than necessary. But as my technique progresses ill probably reduce the tyre grip and spd for some nice properly controlled efforts. Exact same principal..!! Starting out at a level you can manage then working up from there..!!

BLACK86: Aren't you using standard physics mode?

unv412: Yes, exactly that technique is available on G25. You just break the traction and let the wheel correct and then catch it and make corrections.

"unv412: Yes, exactly that technique is available on G25. You just break the traction and let the wheel correct and then catch it and make corrections"

thats the easy bit..winding it back once you gain traction is the trick..lol

thats the easy bit..winding it back once you gain traction is the trick..lol

That trick is not to let wheel spin itself, but make return faster than wheel with little overcorrection and then little bit back yet and to center. And don't lift off the gas during it and you'll gain the traction exactly in the moment your car is straight! Try that! :)

My problem with drifting with GT5:P japanese demo was not 900 degrees mode, but lack of feedback or at least feedback so different from LFS that i could not do it. Sadly i dont have full game to play because PSN version is not available yet.(some compensation might be appropriate sony!)

BLACK86: Aren't you using standard physics mode?

unv412: Yes, exactly that technique is available on G25. You just break the traction and let the wheel correct and then catch it and make corrections.

red baron, no using professional, my problem is sorted now.

an1mal_69 i see your point about adjusting ratio for learners, however say you could adjust to 540 and you did and you got good, would you then go to 900??what if going to 900 wasn't going so well so you decided to stick too 540. i could see loads of ppl claiming to play with 900 but not, suppose we could ask them for screen shots or vids but you can always edit these things and you would never know for sure if they were playing 900. it would be pretty hard for a 900 expert to keep up with a decent 540 player when drifting.

im all for steering change ratio as i see it as more competition, but main reason is you need it for rally cars 720 would be nice. but im sure pd will not have 900 degrees for a formula 1 car so maybe they will change rally cars too .

edit an1mal_69 good news for you. put the steering angle at max settings, it much easier

I am for exact steering ratio which real car counterpart has. So 180 for F1, 360 for rally or race cars, 720 for sports cars and 900 for limousines.

lol animal theres no need for quicker steering now, this max steering angle makes a hell of a difference. if you use third person car view then hit the rear view button so you can see the front of the car, then turn your wheels you can see how much angle there is, silly amounts.

is it possible to change the g25 wheel with a real life wheel ? (a momo or something) but just the wheel, anybody who done that ?

is that 900 degrees? Would be hard to drive with the flat bottom steering wheel.

quote from site:
The transmission ratio of the original G25 gearbox was enhanced. This results in a reduction of the maximum steering angle from 900° to 576° and an increase of the maximum torque force on the steering wheel.
JL-G25_3The resolution of the steering angle signals and thereby the precision was increased by 36% through this change.

There is a choice of different steering wheels that you can fit to it so you can have what ever you like. It looks very cool and probably works perfect but its never going to be in my price range:)

quote from site:
The transmission ratio of the original G25 gearbox was enhanced. This results in a reduction of the maximum steering angle from 900° to 576° and an increase of the maximum torque force on the steering wheel.
JL-G25_3The resolution of the steering angle signals and thereby the precision was increased by 36% through this change.

There is a choice of different steering wheels that you can fit to it so you can have what ever you like. It looks very cool and probably works perfect but its never going to be in my price range:)

+1 for that. Its out of my league but its awesome to see such innovations in the racing simulation fields.

I agree completely with BreakerOhio, I'm thinking about selling my original DF and going for a G25. I paid around $130 for my Driving Force.

I know its worth the $299 CAD but I can't justify spending so much on an accessory. :(

I know its worth the $299 CAD but I can't justify spending so much on an accessory. :(

Yeah I guess your just not hardcore :ouch:...lol jk
Trust me its worth it, especially if you play other sim games like LFS or GTR, makes a reasonable difference you will notice in FFB, other than the obvious 6-spd shifter and clutch. But then you get the comfortable leather wheel:dopey: and stainless steel pedals:sly:. Im sure you could always return it if you dont think you like it, but its highly doubtable.👍

What!!! Nice setup, you should make a vid showing how you mounted that OPM wheel 💡

"RBR" FTW too, one of the most realistic sim games I've owned, respect for the great driving, you dont happen to play it online do you?

I know drifters IRL that have modified steering wheels. The have a knob like the kind on a fork lift truck that clamps onto the top of the steering wheel. To keep the car road legal they just unclamp it after they have done drifting. I dont know the rules for drifting as these guys are mainly kit car drivers i met at track days. Im sure though these knobs can be bought from the internet as they dont look homemade?

I found this for you on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBON-BLACK-...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are there rules for GT drifting?.....Use this?

I once saw a guy from Japan using this in a demo. He was hanging out of the door though.

I know drifters IRL that have modified steering wheels. The have a knob like the kind on a fork lift truck that clamps onto the top of the steering wheel. To keep the car road legal they just unclamp it after they have done drifting. I dont know the rules for drifting as these guys are mainly kit car drivers i met at track days. Im sure though these knobs can be bought from the internet as they dont look homemade?

I found this for you on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBON-BLACK-...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are there rules for GT drifting?.....Use this?

I once saw a guy from Japan using this in a demo. He was hanging out of the door though.

HAHA, That looks like a piece of crap. I would never put that on my car. No real drifter uses that thing, or anything like it. My wheel works just fine for drift and there are many after market wheels that may work even better. That thing looks silly...

I just said ive seen people using these for drifting...im not a drifter myself as soon as the back steps out i correct....years of driving fast cars i guess...I just figured that the 900 deg wheel problem might be solved with what the real people use.

I've just tried some drifting with my G25 (clutch+manual) and it feels great! The 900 deg rotation is bad when correcting very hard countersteers (snapbacks?), but it is great for preventing them to happen! You have extremely good control over the front wheels while going sideways. I personally think it's just a matter of practice, getting used to having so much control. Combining throttle control and wheel control at once. Looking forward to mastering it!

Wow I finally decided to try the game with the game controller as opposed to the G25. Major difference. Using the controller is so much easier. Not as fun though.

Having a horrible time trying to drift with my g25 in gtr5p myself. Im actually wondering if there are differences between the japanese and euro version. It just feels horrible drifting with euro version and the g25. Almost instantly I go into way too much oversteer and spinning, with the wheel bucking like crazy.
With a controller this doesnt ever happen. You can more or less always yank the stick 100% the other way and straighten up, but with the g25 it just doesnt work.
Have even been doing some drifting / playing around irl and it sure as hell isnt as hard as with the g25 and gt5p. Going to do some more testing, but Im pretty much on the virge of giving up. It just feels totally wrong and unrealistic at the moment. :grumpy:

Having a horrible time trying to drift with my g25 in gtr5p myself. Im actually wondering if there are differences between the japanese and euro version. It just feels horrible drifting with euro version and the g25. Almost instantly I go into way too much oversteer and spinning, with the wheel bucking like crazy.
With a controller this doesnt ever happen. You can more or less always yank the stick 100% the other way and straighten up, but with the g25 it just doesnt work.
Have even been doing some drifting / playing around irl and it sure as hell isnt as hard as with the g25 and gt5p. Going to do some more testing, but Im pretty much on the virge of giving up. It just feels totally wrong and unrealistic at the moment. :grumpy:

Dont give up just because the controller is easier to start on. A wheel is much more rewarding and give you feedback which helps you drift better. Keep practicing and once you master the wheel you should be better than you ever were with a pad.

Been testing some more, and I still gotto say it feels ... not right. What ff are you guys running? Been trying some with 1, 4 and 10. 10 is utter useless. Im assuming you all run low numbers, but then you cant feel whats going on at all.

Basically I go into a turn either with weighttransfer or handbrake, and I cant give enough oposite lock whatever I try. Give enough oposite without giving gas, giving some gass, tapping it, clutchkicking ... nothing works. Almost everything I do tend to give me a horrible 360. I still think something is wrong with the wheel software / gt5 euro version. This is after about 5 hours of practice, and I have done alot of other racinggames like r-factor, lfs, gtr and f2. This still feels pretty damn uncontrollable compared to anything, even real life. Hehe.

The problem is definitly not the wheel. I am using a driving force pro, wich is known to be even harder to drift than a g25, and I am not having any problems at all, thanks to practice. With the DFP, I have force feedback on 4, and it seems just perfect for me. NEVER use the handbrake to start a drift. When you drift, you want your wheels to spin to control your loss of traction when your sideways...you want to keep them spinning. The hanbrake locks them... Try to enter the turn smoothly, by feinting into the turn with low powered cars (wich should be the ones you should start practicing with). Aim the tires where you want to go. If you countersteer too much, you'll loose control coming out of the turn. Aim where you want to go, and turn the wheel so your tires are aligned with the exit. Control your throttle to keep your car going at a constant speed and angle. The more you give her power, the bigger the angle and less will give you more traction, wich will slow down your drift but could save you from a spinout. It's kinda hard to explain how to drift by words only, and I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. I hope this helped you out a little bit. Good luck!

The controller is less precise for racing lines (vs a wheel) but I think that same lack of precision actually helps when drifting. In real life the type of drifting you see in the Youtube GT5P videos is very challenging. Few people can do it so well. In drift contests you see drivers mess up all the time. On Fifth Gear, with two awesome drivers like Tiff and Jason, you see those awesome drifts but we don't see what goes on the editing room floor. When they have drift contests between them on Fifth Gear you get to see them mess up. That's realistic. The controller lets you drift like a pro very easily, the wheel makes you work for it quite a bit more.

i have a logitech G25, and i really like to drift, bit i find it wery hard beacause of the 900 degrees of rotation, does annybody else have the same problem? or does anybody have some good tips ?
or should i buy the new wheel, and is it possible to use the g25 pedals on the new gt wheel? (cause they er the best i`ve tried)

is it just me or is the FF much better in forza2 (but the wheel is crap)

It takes some getting used to,but in the end its really worth the driving experience because its just like a real car.just keep practicing:crazy:,you will get the hang of it sooner or later:tup:

Latest Posts

Back