Harry's Trans Am WS6

• Thread starter Harry6784
  • 446 comments
United States
Under the Hood
Last July, I managed to nab a clean, mostly stock '99 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 with 69k miles on the odo (79k now 2/26/15). Just finished up a basic tune up on her. New plugs, wires, all the filters and fluids. Mods so far:

Cosmetic Mods:
- Clarion NZ503 Head Unit
- 500W Rockford Fosgate Amp + Sub
- Upgraded CDT Speakers
- Decals and plastic dip

Performance Mods:
- MGW Short Shifter
- SLP Airbox Lid
- Flowmaster catback
- Sub-frame connectors
- JAAM Ram Air
- Monster Stage 3 Clutch
- Lightweight 18lb billet flywheel
- Brakemotive drilled & slotted rotors
- Koni 4/4 Adjustable Shocks
- Strano Springs
- Strut tower brace
- Poly/Rod Adjustable Rear Lower Control Rods
- Rod/Rod Adjustable Panhard bar
- BFG KDW 275/40/17 tires all around
- Some weight savings, rear seat!, spare tire+jack!...etc.

9e2u.jpg

Plans for a pretty decent autocross machine. With full BMR/Koni suspension and a good driver, F-bodies can be pretty potent as road racing platform. Currently making around 320 to the wheels, planning to put 500 ponies to the pavement while staying NA. Challenging task, but not impossible :D

Last edited:
Currently saving up for a set of True Duals and a bigger clutch. Hope to have them by summer as it's miserable trying to work on any car outside now in Seattle :lol:

Currently saving up for a set of True Duals and a bigger clutch. Hope to have them by summer as it's miserable trying to work on any car outside now in Seattle :lol:
True duals will make a big difference. Especially in the way it sounds. Are you keeping the cats? What mufflers are you planning on running? Flowmasters? Borla? And yes its miserable working on cars outside in the snow and cold.

Yea heard some in person and I nearly had a crisis :lol:

Plan on going with a set of Kooks True Duals (Catted):

Camarokooksduals.jpg

Want to try to try and keep the car smog-legal, and I like the tone of catted exhaust a little better; I'm not a fan of rasp...

That looks like a really nice setup. Make sure you post plenty of pics. Cant wait to hear the videos once you get it installed. Any pics of the interior? Or pics of the sub frame connectors? T-tops are so much fun in the summer.

That looks like a really nice setup. Make sure you post plenty of pics. Cant wait to hear the videos once you get it installed. Any pics of the interior? Or pics of the sub frame connectors?

Better be a good setup, going to cost me a couple grand :scared:

Interior is GM, so nothing special :lol:

6433295dsfgfdgdsfg.png

7735362sfsdfdsfsdf.jpg

9340134dsgfsdgf.jpg

The lit up "Trans Am" is very cool and that deck is very nice. I used to have a 96 and I miss it so much. Especially the T-tops, leather LT1 and 6 speed. Just loved that car so much. Always enjoy seeing pics of these cars on this site. :)

Thanks! Yea these cars can really grow on you. When I bought this, previous owner was literally in tears when I drove it off, almost felt bad....almost ;)

Thanks! Yea these cars can really grow on you. When I bought this, previous owner was literally in tears when I drove it off, almost felt bad....almost ;)
I know that exact same feeling. I went through the exact same thing when I got rid of mine. :(

Harry, did you make that box yourself? I've been looking for plans but can't find any for a hidden box like that.
On another note I almost cried like a baby when my trans am rode off, two days later I bought a camaro, there's something about these cars that gets to you and your stuck with them for life.:D

Just installed a new Optima Yellowtop battery. After banging out with an 800W sound system for over 3 hours as I cleaner her up, she fired right up with no signs of battery drainage :D

Q7mBlWH.jpg

Next on the list is the clutch. Stock one can barely hold 350hp and it's already starting to slip. So far I have

- Tick Performance Master cylinder w/speed bleeder
- GM slave cylinder
- All necessary tranny and clutch fluid for flush

About to buy the Monster Stage 3 clutch with 18lb flywheel, rated at 750hp it should last me a while :D

After that all I need is to pickup a tranny jack from Harbor Frieght for $80 and I should be set. Going to be fun doing a clutch swap without a lift :lol:

JGoing to be fun doing a clutch swap without a lift :lol:

He he. Try changing a flex plate under a big pickup with a 500 lb transmission resting on a block of wood and then the bolts don't want to line up on the damn thing. On stones.

Been there, done that.

He he. Try changing a flex plate under a big pickup with a 500 lb transmission resting on a block of wood and then the bolts don't want to line up on the damn thing. On stones.

Been there, done that.

:scared:

Nevermind then, this is gunna be a breeze :lol:

Car is in really good condition...I have one concern though... on the foglights, is that an HID bulb or a halogen that is just tinted blue?

P.S. Personally I don't like the blacked out tail lights. Honeycomb or bust.

Car is in really good condition...I have one concern though... on the foglights, is that an HID bulb or a halogen that is just tinted blue?

P.S. Personally I don't like the blacked out tail lights. Honeycomb or bust.

They're Halogen, but they're aftermarket. OEM fogs are utter 🤬. You couldn't even tell when they were turned on. These are a HUGE improvement.

Yea I'm divided with the tail light covers. I love the blacked out look on bright colored cars, just looks more 'clean' to me. But there are days I take them off just to change things up :lol:

That's how my car was...I had to buy completely new headlights just to see. They were, by far, the worst part of the car. But now they're amazing so everything's alright.
The honeycomb tailights are probably my most favorite tail lights, ever. I'm not even a Trans-Am(or Camaro) fan but those are just :drool:

Last edited:
That's how my car was...I had to buy completely new headlights just to see. They were, by far, the worst part of the car. But now they're amazing do everything's alright.

Tell me about it. I still have yet to upgrade my headlights. Fogs cost around $50 to swap out, but to upgrade my headlights to some nice projectors I'm looking at $800+

Not exactly on top of my mod list at the moment :banghead:

The honeycomb tailights are probably my most favorite tail lights, ever. I'm not even a Trans-Am(or Camaro) fan but those are just :drool:

Next time I see a Merc behind me, I'll make sure to ride the brakes :lol:

Tell me about it. I still have yet to upgrade my headlights. Fogs cost around $50 to swap out, but to upgrade my headlights to some nice projectors I'm looking at $800+

Not exactly on top of my mod list at the moment :banghead:

Next time I see a Merc behind me, I'll make sure to ride the brakes :lol:
That's the price for a not-so-common car. I got mine for $400... haven't gotten any complaints from other drivers or me 👍
Just make it look similar to this one I saw a few months ago and i'll follow you anywhere :lol:

Attachments

• 2014-02-19 23.22.19.jpg
    2014-02-19 23.22.19.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 13
@Harry6784 Not sure if you picked up the clutch yet but I would highly recommend the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. I have the same transmission as you in my 69 Camaro. The 6 Speed T-56. I have had that in my 69 Camaro for 10 years now and have beat the heck out of it. Including the power tour and hundreds of laps of real road track racing. It is an excellent clutch. And yes mine is also hydraulic like your clutch with the slave cylinder and everything. Grand total for the Centerforce clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throw out bearing it was around $800.00. I installed mine in my garage with no lift. I just set it on a jack and lifted it into place while on my back. I had a couple tie downs strapped under the trans as backup while I lifted it into place by myself.

Centerforce.jpg

Last edited:
@Harry6784 Not sure if you picked up the clutch yet but I would highly recommend the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. I have the same transmission as you in my 69 Camaro. The 6 Speed T-56. I have had that in my 69 Camaro for 10 years now and have beat the heck out of it. Including the power tour and hundreds of laps of real road track racing. It is an excellent clutch. And yes mine is also hydraulic like your clutch with the slave cylinder and everything. Grand total for the Centerforce clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throw out bearing it was around $800.00. I installed mine in my garage with no lift. I just set it on a jack and lifted it into place while on my back. I had a couple tie downs strapped under the trans as backup while I lifted it into place by myself.

Centerforce.jpg

I've heard a little about the Centerforce's, but not enough to justify $800. I've heard nothing but good stuff from Monster's. Daily driveability is something I'm looking for and Monster is famous for making their clutches street friendly. For around $800 I'm getting the H.D. pressure plate, 12" cerametallic 6 puck disc, 18lbs light weight billet flywheel, pilot bearing, release bearing, and alignment tool.

We might have had some miscommunication. The $800.00 Centerforce package included the Flywheel, Pressure plate, Centerforce dual friction clutch which is insanely HD, pilot bearing, alignment tool, and throw out bearing. That entire package was $800.00.

The Monster package sounds great too. Especially since you will be getting a billet flywheel. I cant remember if mine is a billet or steel flywheel. Probably steel.

Looking forward to pictures of your install.

:scared:

Nevermind then, this is gunna be a breeze :lol:

Yeah it wasn't fun. I have a stretched timing chain to thank for that. Threw the mechanical timing out of whack, so the starter teeth weren't engaging with the flexplate/flywheel and it stripped the teeth off both when you cranked it. So you'd have to turn the motor over by hand with a wrench and hope like hell they lined up when you cranked it. That was not a pleasant sound :lol: The whole process was long and drawn out, had to rip the front half of my motor out to replace the stretched chain, get the marks right and then put it all back together, and then drop the tranny and change out both the stater and flywheel...laying down under the vehicle, and trying to torque the bolts to the crank on a freely spinning motor? No thanks. Took a long time.

Yeah it wasn't fun. I have a stretched timing chain to thank for that. Threw the mechanical timing out of whack, so the starter teeth weren't engaging with the flexplate/flywheel and it stripped the teeth off both when you cranked it. So you'd have to turn the motor over by hand with a wrench and hope like hell they lined up when you cranked it. That was not a pleasant sound :lol: The whole process was long and drawn out, had to rip the front half of my motor out to replace the stretched chain, get the marks right and then put it all back together, and then drop the tranny and change out both the stater and flywheel...laying down under the vehicle, and trying to torque the bolts to the crank on a freely spinning motor? No thanks. Took a long time.

GwcR.gif

Latest Posts

Back