Harry's Trans Am WS6

• Thread starter Harry6784
  • 446 comments
Yea I'm well aware of the noise of the R888's, but grip is worth it. I know guys with 600hp Corvettes and with R888's they dead hook in 2nd. Curious to see what my 60-0 braking distance is with the new rubber.

Teaser :sly:

7560384WP_20160617_13_53_25_Rich.jpg

Done! Still have to get an alignment but couldn't resist taking it for a test drive, even in the wet :(

Things I have noticed with the R888's:

1. They're not loud. I went up to 60 and didn't see what everyone is complaining about. Maybe they're different in the dry, we'll see.
2. My GOD these things grip. In the wet they're about the same as my KDW's but on a dry stretch I cannot break the rear end loose, even in 1st :lol:
3. My car is now a vacuum cleaner... seriously these tires pick up EVERYTHING on the road. I live at the end of a gravel road and by the time I get to my driveway I can hardly see the treads on the tire due to them being covered up by rocks and pebbles. Hope that's not going to be an issue.

3830874WP_20160618_17_28_09_Rich.jpg

full

full

6446234WP_20160618_17_30_00_Rich.jpg

1682229WP_20160618_17_29_52_Rich.jpg

3898809WP_20160618_17_29_25_Rich.jpg

So after hooning it around all day today, I now see where the expression "handles like its on rails" comes from :D
Maybe your engine drowns out the noise haha. The R888s on my Miata are louder than the engine for sure.

Could be. If im on the highway and take it out of gear and coast I do hear what sounds like a bad wheel hub, but not as bad as everyone made it out to be, for me at least.

Finally got to test out my new suspension mods in an autocross and MY GOD this thing is insane. Event was titled as "Novice School" but there were plenty of season guys just looking for seat time. First few runs were solid but once the R888's got some heat in them it was game over. I believe I clocked the fastest time (By a non-instructor driver) at a 47.2 (With a fairly large instructor riding shotgun). For reference the built STi's were in e 49-50 second range, BRZ's were 50-51's, Mustangs and other pony cars that showed up were well into the mid 50's. Every single instructor that rode in my car was shocked how sharp and flat it cornered. Hell I was shocked. I knew my car would handle better with these mods but I didn't think would make a 17 year old piece of trash GM pony car outhandle heavily modded AWD Subaru's.

Later in the day I got to ride with some of the instructors in their personal cars and surprisingly only a handful managed to break into the 45's with the majority running high 46's to mid 47's. Remeber these are cars like turbo miata's and S2000's so obviously I'm super happy with my car.

Vids:

1st run, mainly feeling out the track. Tires are cold but still super grippy

3rd run

Officials removed some of the slaloms as too many people were killing cones. Now I can finally use 2nd gear :D

Last and fastest run, notice how much more grippy the tires are :D

*crickets*

Evergreen Speedway Season Opener:

80-20161008_090929_a234546cf13629de6a28538513fd60c9302fe399.jpg

80-20161008_123322_3973f7034aac48970cc4177a88912bc9c87475a0.jpg

Got just one semi-dry run before it started pouring down. Still placed 4th in RWD and 12th overall out of 67 (lots of awd, events often nicknamed 'subaru-cross'). Highlight of the day is I out-qualified a C7 Z06 with Z07 package :rolleyes:

Suspension mods practically complete. Miscellaneous stuff like lighter seats, tubular a-arms/k-member, lightweight battery but it's finally time to focus on power, or rather lack of it. Plan to get a TVS2300 and find a way to make it fit under the hood...

How about partly dry? Either way after it started raining I forgot about raw time and just wanted to see how sideways I could get :lol:

I can relate. We did a kart session two weeks back that was pouring buckets. Since I weighed about twice what everyone else did, the only way I could actually overtake was to drift through the puddles everyone else was tiptoeing around.

Good exercise, using the loss of traction to trace an overtaking line well off the dry line. At one point, I had a kart with a loose steering arm and terminal understeer, so sideways was the only way around the corners!

-

As for partly dry... the looks of that track... no way... :lol: ...the moment it gets shiny, even without the puddles, there's simply no grip if you're on the wrong tire. I can imagine that Vette owner was not very happy! :lol:

Well I think I've got the bug now, quite a few mods done:

1. Installed TSP 1 7/8 Headers with Dual Exhausts. Because this is a stainless steel setup and gets dumped before the axle I saved over 20lbs over the stock setup not to mentioned picked up 30rwhp and my car now starts earthquakes

2. Switched from my 45lb optima to a 5lb lightweight Li-On battery

3. Big CTS-V brake swap

4. Went from the 20lb front bumper support to a lightweight 5lb replacement

Less weight + more power, curious to see how I do at the next autocross :D

So what makes your Trans Am a Hybrid? :dopey:

I've never really been a fan of Trans Ams but this one, I really really like. Maybe it's the colour and the curved nature of the design that is similar to my MR2?

Corvette Engine + Camaro Body = Hybrid...right? :rolleyes:

I just have a different take on modding cars like this. Where everyone just adds drag radials, nitrous and goes to the drag strip I want to see how well I can get it to handle while still being a street car (AC/ rear seats, sound system...etc). Judging by the autocross's I've been to, so far I've been relatively successful :)

Are you doing the autocross series this season through SCCA?

Another event, this time at Evergreen Speedway. I really like this place because its actually kind of a road course/autocross hybrid. Had a good time and gave rides to probably 10+ people, guess my car is pretty popular for ride alongs :lol:

Even with passengers I managed to get 2nd in class and 2nd overall out of 70 entrants.

Are you doing the autocross series this season through SCCA?

Not at Evergreen. Honestly I'm not that interesting in taking part of SCCA classing system. Too many rules regarding what modifications you can/can't do to your car. I build my car to be a track monster while still being able to be a street car. Not really possible to do that within SCCA guidelines...

Not at Evergreen. Honestly I'm not that interesting in taking part of SCCA classing system. Too many rules regarding what modifications you can/can't do to your car. I build my car to be a track monster while still being able to be a street car. Not really possible to do that within SCCA guidelines...

For sure, just curious who/where you're doing your autocrossing through. SCCA and WWSCC are the two big ones around here, and if not them then who. I haven't been in a couple of years, so I'm kind of out of any new developments.

That really looks like a fun site!

You could run a "CAM" class if you put 200TW tires on it. Still the the only way to look at the SCCA rule book is you don't enter a modified car into an SCCA class, you build a modified car for an SCCA class.

That really looks like a fun site!

I love it but it does scare some people. Not very forgiving if you happen to go off :(

You could run a "CAM" class if you put 200TW tires on it. Still the the only way to look at the SCCA rule book is you don't enter a modified car into an SCCA class, you build a modified car for an SCCA class.

Exactly. I've been thinking about running CAM but around here CAM is completely dead. If I do run it will probably be in street prepared. But then I'll by running against guys on full on racing slicks :lol:

Back