Has anyone else used the power limiter to replicate their own real-life car?

• Thread starter N35QU1K
  • 34 comments
The moment I found out about the power limiter option in 1.06, I knew the first thing I would do was take the '04 Impreza STi and limit the power to recreate my own car, an '05 Impreza 2.5RS.

The '04 STi is the closest car in the game to my actual car, so I used it as a base, power-limiting it to 165hp, the 2.5RS's specified crank horsepower. I've done the same to recreate some of my friends' cars:

'02 Corolla RunX --> '03 Corolla LE (Limit to 130hp)
'01 Type R --> '98 Integra GS (limit to 147hp)

Suspension and tire upgrades are open, but in real life, most popular power upgrades only yield a minimal power increase. A K&N air filter, for example, only gives you about 5hp, and a Magnaflow muffler usually adds no more than 5-10hp, so I limited the power accordingly.

For example, my friend's actual Corolla has an upgraded air intake, and a Magnaflow muffler. So for the Corolla RunX, I bought the racing filter (mostly because it's red, like many popular air filters), and a sports exhaust, and limited the power to a reasonable 140hp, a 10hp increase over the crank horsepower specification.

Since his car also has extensive suspension work, I also got the fully adjustable suspension and replicated his actual spring rates, damper settings, and rear sway bar. You can't change the wheels on standard cars, but I went ahead and matched his Dunlop Star Spec tires with the Sport Mediums.

I was surprised to find how fun the cars were to drive. I've even gone so far as to using my friend's Integra in the FF Challenge in Seasonals, and I even tune my in-game car according to my car's actual real life suspension settings and feedback the information into my actual car.

Has anyone else ever tried doing something along these lines?

Good idea! I now should try the same with my previously onwed car! A 83' civic with a bit more weight and 90hp to match my first car, a '90 Civic. Same for my previous mk5 vw and H22 Accord.

This sounds like fun. There's something reasonably close to my boring real life car that I've got in my GT garage. I've been looking for the same Honda paint chip but haven't come across it yet.

Keep in mind that the character of the torque cutoff will make all cars feel like Turbo Diesels :)

It doesn't scale the hp and torque curves but just draws a horizontal line at the limit you place?!

It doesn't scale the hp and torque curves but just draws a horizontal line at the limit you place?!

Indeed. Which means you can have a low PP car with a massive torque plateau across the rev range... i.e. like a diesel engine :dopey:

I use it in Bspec during timed endurance races. I put it on the Mazda Furai at 9hrs Nurburgring to about 500hp so Bob still wins, but doesn't put too many miles on the car. This means I won't have to refresh my engine and chassis as often, saving me money in the long run.

Yeah unfortunately I'm the torque isn't adjustable... 165 hp with 291 ft-lb haha.

The power and torque band does drop significantly though. Try shifting at your actual engine's redline; for me I shift at 6,000rpm, which is 2k short of the STi's 8,000rpm.

That's the problem with the power limiter: you can adjust the hp figure to real life values, but the engine characteristics is going to be very different.

I tried to get an Accord type R to match the specs of the diesel one my Dad used to have. Added a low rpm turbo to give it some extra torque along with some extra weight and bought the power down to 138 bhp. The gearing needs to be lengthened though as like this I had to shift at a very diesel like 5000 rpm rather than the 8500 rpm which is the normal redline in that car!

I have the exact same car and shift exactly the same. That's great that another 2.5RS driver is playing around with making their car a reality on GT5.

Yup I am going to, but haven't tried yet. I have an '09 Impreza 2.5i, 4 door, 5 speed stick. California emissions model has 175hp/ 170ftlbs, weighs about 3020lbs.

I figured I would buy (another) bran new '10 STI sedan, put it on a diet as they are quite a bit heavier than a 2.5i, I have to look it up, but I think they go around 3,500lbs. Lower hp accordingly, raise suspension by about 10mm - that's how much my car get's lowered if I put on STi pink springs which are 25% stiffer than stock 2.5i springs and are a factory or "dealer installed" option. I'd have to do research to make sure of exact numbers.

I'd have to soften suspension accordingly too.

Then I think some comfort med or soft tires..

I do have a nice little front lip spoiler, so that kinda matches STi front end already.

Wish I could remove rear wing, but can't.

I think I'd need to make it have a 50-50 F/R torque split too, automatic 2.5i's have an active center diff only activated when needed, manual trans still have real full-time AWD. I have an open front diff if I leave traction control off in real life, so I could adjust that too. If I leave TC on IRL, the 4 channel electronic brake force distribution acts as a side to side and front to rear auto locking (or limited slip) diff.. It will go up a hill with any 3 wheels on ice.. I guess I could simulate that in GT5, but IRL I cannot use that system and turn off traction control or vehicle stability control independently. It all works as one and ABS cannot be disabled.

I bet that would work well. If extra torque from limiter is too much, I could just do 0-60 mph runs and adjust power down as needed until it roughly matches my real 2.5i, and always shift at 6500 RPM. My 5-speed does it in about 7.5 to 7.7 seconds, I don't care what the reviews all say, I've timed it. Some reviews say as slow as 8.5 sec. to 60. I think they were using automatics. Once I got a little lower than 7.5 sec.. but I never do a really hard launch.. It was almost $20,000 and I paid for it- and I plan on keeping it for a long time. :-)
subaru%20front%20lip%20spoiler%20pic%201.jpg

Recreating some of my other cars could be interesting..

-1985 Honda Prelude 2.0si.. (already bought a 2 door '88 Acord in GT5- It's very similar, same exact engine I think, but heavier, and Prelude was lower)
Pic from movie Phantoms, 1998- mine was identical, but I bought it with dark tinted windows. Car handled great.
http://imcdb.org/vehicle_245304-Honda-Prelude-1985.html
picture.php

EDIT added pic below.. After adjustments it did feel like my old Prelude- lowered, lightened.
Tokyo%20R246.jpg

Tokyo%20R246.jpg

-1986 VW Golf 3-door - there must be something between a 70's and late 80's Golf in GT5 I could use. It's probably closer to that '88 (I think it's an 88) in GT5. Would have to check spring rates, ride height, power, etc.
mine was white with squared-off headlights. Otherwise looked very similar: oops just noticed, mine was a 2-door hatch:
N%C3%BCrburgring%20Nordschleife.jpg

-1986 Dodge Shelby Charger 2.2L Turbo - not sure I could recreate that from any GT5 car. That thing was light and very quick though. It should be in GT5.
Mine was the rare silver with blue stripe. And mint. Mine, unlike the pics below had a tubo hump on the hood. Otherwise identical. Damn I am still pissed at myself for trading this awesome little car in. :-(
http://nozama.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/22/shelbycharger1.jpg http://nozama.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/22/shelbycharger3.jpg

-1995 Nissan 200sx SE-R (SR20DE engine, not the SR20DET turbo, but still awesome little engine) That was a great little car. 140 HP, about same torque in tiny little 2-door FF car with a front limited slip diff right from factory. '96 and later SE-R didn't get the LSD, it made a huge difference around corners. That mid '90s G20 in GT5 is similar, but it's a 4-door. SE-R was a 2 door, same engine and basically same car otherwise though.

- My first car was a 1980 Nissan Datsun 200sx. It was a light FR car, 5-Speed. Yes it said Nissan on the back on one side and Datsun on the other. There's a suped up '83 version in GT5 already, looks identical but it has huge fender flares and I think it's a V6, mine was a 4cyl. Have to check on that. I think it's called an '83 180rs in GT5. There's also a sweet rally car version in GT5 which I already have too. I'd have to look up specs of my Datsun, should be really easy recreating that.. just have to deal with fender flares, even the wheels look the same in game though.
edit.. not great pic, but I'll get a better one: *Added better pic:
Tsukuba%20Circuit.jpg

rally version:
Li%C3%A8ge%20%28Gravel%29.jpg

Yup it would be worth it to recreate these old cars and race them around in GT5. (Will try to get some better in game pics and real life pics of cars to compare)

Last edited:
I am going the other way.
I have to up power on the EvoIX in game by doing the ECU tuning to get it to about 286hp like the 06 model.
My real car is the Evo9 SE from 2006. It's all stock. Too bad I can't adjust the gearing for 5 speed with the proper ratios for each gear. That was possible in Prologue.
I like to use my real life acceleration test numbers, then measure the ones in the game and adjust things like weight accordingly.
The Evo is very accurate, in Prologue I had to lower the weight a lot or raise power unrealisticly.

No, but I did add 50hp to the '04 Pontiac GTO to match my daily driver. Of course, that was when my var was stock. It's now ~420hp or so.

Actually... I did. I used my real life car, Mazda RX-8, to run the Grand Valley and Laguna Seca enduros. I did an oil change after Grand Valley and then used the limiter to bring the HP back down to stock HP...

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find an equivalent of my 2003 (I think) Malibu LS.
Only modifications that have been made are a glass-pack and racing stripes. (Yes, racing stripes ARE a mod according to my friend "They make it go faster!")

Have the Peugeot 207 GT in real life (150 hp) so I have tuned down the 207 GTi from 180 (or so) to my car's levels.

The power is flat on the top RPMs as other guys mentioned - this is unrealistic, but what to do? This is as close as it gets for me.

BTW I plan to test Ferrari F1s with half the power to simulate F3 or something - could be fun maybe...

I run my car evey night around the ring, Room is called Ring rats, (low Peformance Points Racers)

I actually AutoX mine in real life so i used my suspension setup and gear ratios, weight, Rcomps (sports hard/medium) etc etc. @ around 180hp 140ish TQ (SR20VE Swap) so i had to up the powa

only thing missing is my 15inch rims, damn standard cars cant change rims :( stuck with pos 14's in game.

picture.php

Only thing missing is a DFGT

I've got a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport that's essentially stock except for tires.

Even though I can put a power limiter on an STI in the game, the STI is (both in-game and in real life) is much more capable in all other areas, most notably in the suspension.

In other words, I feel that even if HP is the same, there's no real equivalent for our cars in the game.

I've got a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport that's essentially stock except for tires.

Even though I can put a power limiter on an STI in the game, the STI is (both in-game and in real life) is much more capable in all other areas, most notably in the suspension.

In other words, I feel that even if HP is the same, there's no real equivalent for our cars in the game.

You could raise the suspension about 20mm or so and then soften the suspension way up, then put on some comfort medium or hard tires. Just a thought.. You could even customize the trans and gear it higher to compensate for extra torque. Might work..

Great idea!

Gotta do my next car... a 115bhp Focus 1.8 liter zetec.

Because my actual one (Fiat Palio, 76hp) it'll be really, really crap :P

Just out of curiosity, to guys who for example bought wrxs and not stis, or just a regular impreza and not a wrx, how come you guys didn't buy a upper spec model second hand? I thought we were all car nuts?

Just out of curiosity, to guys who for example bought wrxs and not stis, or just a regular impreza and not a wrx, how come you guys didn't buy a upper spec model second hand? I thought we were all car nuts?

I bought my first bran new car may of '09.. I was looking to spend anywhere from 10 to 15k and get a nice one or two year old car with very low miles but most of those were prior rentals- no thanks. I was also looking around for a used WRX or something, but they were scarce locally and on top of that, they get beat to hell and abused. I don't want someone else's car that they beat the piss out of for two years knowing they would just get a new one.

It was right before the "cash for clunkers" deal and it was a buyers market. They had a deal on Impreza's for 2.9% interest and a thousand off sticker. After test driving a 5 speed 2.5i, I figured it had enough power, it was actually a fun car to drive- although the 4 speed automatics were not an option for me, they were sluggish as hell.

They had one new WRX, but it was like $25,500 or something.. plus insurance would have been a lot more and gas mileage a lot less, and maintenance more too. I just couldn't justify it at this point. After tax, tags, ectra warranty and everything my 2.5i was over up over 20k. Maybe after I pay off my 2.5i and have it for a nice trade in, a WRX might make more sense.

All I know is that my first ever bran new car was this one and I'm really glad I went with a Subaru. It's a great car, and there's no feeling like driving a bran new car off the lot for the first time. I know it's never been thrashed or abused. I can't say that for any of the 12 or so used cars I've purchased over the years..

I got my 2.5RS because of insurance and gas. Having a WRX would send my premiums through the roof, and of course, higher-octane gas is more expensive.

This car is still super fun though; with coilovers and a decent set of tires, the RS can do plenty of work on the track, or at autox or rallyx.

Here's mine,
When it was stock:
IMG_5102.JPG

At the track:
IMG_0706.JPG

How it is now:
Impreza%202.5RS.jpg

The first thing I did after 1.06 was turn the Golf MK5 GTI into our '57 plate 1.9 TDI. Worked quite well actually, 103bhp @ 3700rpm and quite close on the torque as well! Bit of ballast up front and longer gear ratio's (only using 5 gears as in real life) and remembering that the redline is actually 4500rpm, the 0-60 time was about 11.5 and topped out at 117 (ish) MPH, as our real one would if I was stupid enough to try!

Back