Has ever a Gran Turismo game been relatively easy/quick to get all cars?

• Thread starter RacingFan1
  • 142 comments
This thread resumed in a gif:

moving-goalpost.gif

I have 298 (unique) cars in GT Sport with roughly 1221 hours (lvl 47); 39,594 miles 29% campaign; $151,869,560 Credits/521,590 Mileage Points earned.

Mainly did custom Gr.3 & 4 races along with a lot of MX-5 mixed races and FF Hot Hatch races. As a racing fan, cars and money were easy.... wasn't going for every car, but got all the ones I wanted and ~44 gifted cars (that I still have). Deleted 20-30 duplicate cars that were gifted/rewards. Didn't bother with the Brand sponsor deal.

Comparably, was surprised at lower payouts in GT7 before the rollback as we now have to buy parts/mods with the same in-game currency. As an endurance racing fan, I miss Mileage Points :(

There are a few important aspects that people are not factoring here...

The amount of Credits earned in each game is only relative to the cost of the most expensive cars or the total amount of credits you would have to get to get all the cars.
With that said, there was one guy who already posted in a thread somewhere that GT7, even without the latest update was already the worst to grind, and this math was only taking into account the most expensive car, not all of them.

Here are the times:

Taking these prices into account results in a pretty stark picture of just how much of a grind the PS4/PS5 titles are in terms of time taken to buy just one example of the most expensive vehicles in each game:

1. Gran Turismo 1 – 1 hour (8 races)
  2. Gran Turismo 2 – 1.5 hours (14 races)
  3. Gran Turismo 4 – 2.7 hours (32 races)
  4. Gran Turismo 6 – 5.8 hours (90 races)
  5. Gran Turismo 3 – 7.5 hours (5 races)
  6. Gran Turismo Sport – 9.9 hours (84 races)
  7. Gran Turismo 7 (v1.06) – 10.9 hours (205 races)
  8. Gran Turismo 7 (v1.07) – 17.8 hours (333 races)
  9. Gran Turismo 5 – 23.3 hours (315 races)
Again though, this doesn’t reflect the fact that GT5 and GT6 had daily login bonus boosts and quicker ways of earning credits through seasonal events during their active life. That would promote both games up the list, with GT5 eclipsing Sport and 7 during its heyday.

So, outside Gran Turismo 5 in it's current server shutdown form, Gran Turismo 7, even before patch 1.08, was already the worst Gran Turismo to grind for ONE of the most expensive cars.
But, even in this current form, you have B-Spec in Gran Turismo 5, so you can earn credits without doing a thing yourself while you do other things in your house. You don't have this luxury in GT7 at all.

All other Gran Turismo series, even Sport which was not a main title and was an online focused game, had better payouts than Gran Turismo 7 even before the patch.
And this is without taking into account the fact that Gran Turismo Sport could literally give you all the cars just by you doing a pitiful 41km grind. I won 2 of the 20 million credit cars this way and also a Miura.
EDIT: Oh, and then there's the Hamilton challenges that could give you 120 million credits, yes they were incredibly hard, but that was the fun of it, a challenge, it didn't feel at all like grinding, it was you improving yourself and got rewarded handsomely.

One other important factor is that all other Gran Turismos (main titles, not Sport, but even Sport, which is ridiculous) had waaaaaay more content to entertain you than GT7 has right now, which aliviates your boring grind over time.

More importantly, if we factor the grind you have to do to get all the cars in GT7, it gets even worse.

The entire 424 car roster is estimated to be over 400 million credits, I have all the prices of the known cars at 280 million (I took out the cars you win as prizes) already and we still have 3 or 4 other cars that are going to cost almost 20 million each with other 50-60 moderately expensive ones, most of which above 1 million.

In GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4 you would get half or more of the total cars as prize cars alone. Leaving very little for you to grind for the rest of them. And you could sell them as well for a great chunk of money.

Over 300 hours to grind just to get cars, in a game that has just over 30 hours of content and at the end of all that content you are given 7 million credits tops. And in the middle you had to waste almost 2 million just for tuning cars, and that's the thing, also tuning cars has became much more expensive than ever before, with any car costing upwards of 200k to tune with the best parts.

Just to get all the tyres for a Gr.3 or Gr.4 car to be able to do races that need pitstops you are looking at: Set of mediums, softs, intermediates and wet tyres, just these 4 tyres are worth over 100k...

Whoever made this thread, this certainly backfired quite badly, and it shows that he/she never played a former Gran Turismo game. Or just has a really bad memory.

Last edited:
I dont count

pretty sure
Yup, utterly unpredictable massive goalpost shift right there. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

And you're still wrong. GT1 and GT3 are well inside your arbitrary 50 hours play/two months real world time, without having to plot an efficient method. GT3 would be even quicker without Formula GT which took up about 15 hours.

With that said, there was one guy who already posted in a thread somewhere that GT7, even without the latest update was already the worst to grind, and this math was only taking into account the most expensive car, not all of them.
That guy be me.

Last edited:
Traditionally you would grind early on, until you reached a certain level, then events would open up that have high payouts & prize cars you could sell, after that you just focused on the races you wanted to do, as it stands now your in a perpetual grind, not knowing what cars going to show up at the Legends or used car dealership, will it be months or a year until that car going to show up again, so your caught up in spending on something now that you would have waited on in a classic GT game, where you know it's behind golding a license, some race events or at a dealership waiting for you. So your constantly trying to make sure you have enough credits for what comes up next.

People need to stop trying to compare GT7 to GT3 as an example. GT3 was very low on Credits but GT3 was far less credit dependent than any other GT game.

Once you get a good enough car to win the European or American Championship, you can repeat the Championship until you win one of the Race Cars as a prize car.

Once you do that, you never have to use Credits to buy a car again except for One Make events. Prize Cars in GT3 are really generous and carry you throughout most of the game.

(Also in GT4 you can start with a Zonda LM Race Car and/or Toyota 7 without doing any events just by doing the Licenses and Missions)

I dont count prologues as proper titles... and GT1/GT3 were the shortest but pretty sure they took more than 2 months unless you go "efficient grinding mode", which didnt happen the first ever time you played it.
Dude, in your title you just mention that there was no game you could get all the cars quickly. We point out how wrong you are and you reply with "but you are just grinding bleh bleh". Yes, grinding is how you get all the cars quickly. You do the most efficient method. If a game designer were smart, he would make all of the methods equally as quicl so we have variety. People will always figure out the most efficient way to grind. Objectively, every other GT game was much faster to acquire cars. I liked this, it means I can race what I want, when I want faster. Do you think everyone is just going to stop playing the minute they get all the cars? It's like saying an MMO is just about the leveling experience and there is no end game. Tell me how many MMO's with that model have actually succeeded. Your comments and assumptions about other players (who are likely as big or bigger fans than you are) are so misguided and hollow.

People need to stop trying to compare GT7 to GT3 as an example. GT3 was very low on Credits but GT3 was far less credit dependent than any other GT game.

Once you get a good enough car to win the European or American Championship, you can repeat the Championship until you win one of the Race Cars as a prize car.

Once you do that, you never have to use Credits to buy a car again except for One Make events. Prize Cars in GT3 are really generous and carry you throughout most of the game.

(Also in GT4 you can start with a Zonda LM Race Car and/or Toyota 7 without doing any events just by doing the Licenses and Missions)
My guy, it was not about the credits earned...or even finishing all the events. Back in the day I would play with my roommate on split screen and you know what made that more fun? Having a lot of the cars to choose from every race. The real trick to GT1-GT4 was selling cars. You had unlimited money very quickly grinding good reward cars that were handed out repeatedly, not just the first win. GT4-GT5 made it even easier with B-Spec.

Last edited:
Dude, in your title you just mention that there was no game you could get all the cars quickly. We point out how wrong you are and you reply with "but you are just grinding bleh bleh". Yes, grinding is how you get all the cars quickly. You do the most efficient method. If a game designer were smart, he would make all of the methods equally as quicl so we have variety. People will always figure out the most efficient way to grind. Objectively, every other GT game was much faster to acquire cars. I liked this, it means I can race what I want, when I want faster. Do you think everyone is just going to stop playing the minute they get all the cars? It's like saying an MMO is just about the leveling experience and there is no end game. Tell me how many MMO's with that model have actually succeeded. Your comments and assumptions about other players (who are likely as big or bigger fans than you are) are so misguided and hollow.

My guy, it was not about the credits earned...or even finishing all the events. Back in the day I would play with my roommate on split screen and you know what made that more fun? Having a lot of the cars to choose from every race. The real trick to GT1-GT4 was selling cars. You had unlimited money very quickly grinding good reward cars that were handed out repeatedly, not just the first win. GT4-GT5 made it even easier with B-Spec.
I don't think GT3 even demanded selling cars late game though I guess you could with the truckload of good prize cars

Though that's kind of my point. When people are trying to compare GT7s economy to other games, they're comparing based on credits and car prices which is important but it's completely irrelevant when you bring it up to GT3

Quite sure the answer is NO

Thread dedicated to teenagers who complain about this.
Check out each and every single other GT game. I dont have the exact numbers, but all the veterans who played every game should remember that every single Gran Turismo game, you needed to spend a heck of a lot of time playing in order to buy all cars.
Some more (as they had more cars) and some less. But in general, each and everyone of the games required A LOT of playing to complete the car collection.
So for anyone here angry, wanting all cars easily, I'm afraid you got into the wrong franchise.
Edit: and for everyone arguing about lack of events - yes, thats the only issue here, the game is a bit half done and lots of events and stuff missing, that will come in updates.
You're quite sure without having the numbers? That's a bold strategy.

Well, the answer with the numbers is YES. Did they require a significant amount of time? Also yes, but nobody has ever claimed that the previous games are outright quick, nor have they desired GT7 to be outright quick. Nobody, not one person, has said they want or expect all cars in 10-20 hours.

OK, so the numbers (partially).

GT1
  • ~164 cars, region dependent. 51 could be won as prizes during normal gameplay, leaving 113 to buy, but some are arcade only/can't be bought.
  • Normal gameplay, winning all events, will take about 25-40 hours, skill dependent.
  • GT World Cup gave you 170,000 credits in 30 minutes. 340,000 per hour. Some were lower, so let's estimate an average of 250,000 per hour.
  • To buy the remaining cars takes 6,932,000 for the US version. Roughly, used prices vary.
  • The single most expensive car is 500,000.
  • 6,932,000 / 250,000 = 28 hours "end game" playing to get the cars.
The total time to complete the game and earn all cars in Gran Turismo is therefore approximately 50-70 hours, depending on which events you re-do, skill, and luck in the events with two prize cars.

GT2
  • 618 cars in the NTSC-U version according to this. That page also has the costs. 95 are prize cars.
  • Normal gameplay, winning all events, takes 50-70 hours on average.
  • The fastest end-game method to earn credits is 550,000 in 5 minutes (GT All Stars, Red Rock Valley). With loading, it's about 6 million per hour.
  • If you don't grind that one event and just do a variety of high paying/high rewarding races you'll earn around 2 million per hour.
  • To buy the remaining cars will cost you 59.8 million credits
  • The single most expensive car is 2,000,000.
  • 59.8M / 6M = 10 hours. 59.8 / 2M = 30 hours "end game" playing to get the cars.
The total time to complete the game and earn all cars in GT2 is therefore approximately 60-80 hours if you grind the META, 80-100 hours if you don't. Maybe 120, if for some reason you really prefer lower paying events.

GT3
  • 181 cars in the NTSC-U Version.
  • The game gives you 112 of them as prize cars, leaving only 69 to buy. Nice.
  • Normal gameplay, winning all events, takes about 50-70 hours. However because of the random chance prize cars, this can extend a lot more. So let's say 150 absolute maximum.
  • The fastest way to earn credits seems to be around 300-500K per hour, depending what you do.
  • To buy the remaining cars will cost you 4.2 Million.
  • The single most expensive car is 455,000. There are costlier, but they're all prize cars.
  • 4.2M / 500K = 8.5 hours "end game" playing to get the cars.
The total time to complete everything GT3 has to offer and earn all of the cars is therefore anywhere between 78 and 159 hours, depending how lucky (or not) you get with the random prize cars. If you just buy a bunch of the prize cars which are available to buy it'll probably bring that high end down a bit.

GT4
  • 685 cars in the NTSC-U version (going by list I found with prices).
  • 166 of them are prize cars, leaving 519 to buy.
  • Normal gameplay, winning all events, takes about 175-250 hours.
  • The fastest way to earn credits at the end game is 300,000 in 5 minutes selling the RSC Rally Car. With loading, you could get about 5M per hour. If you don't grind that meta event, the end game events would pay out more like 1M per hour.
  • To buy all the remaining cars will cost you 102M.
  • 102 / 5 = 20 hours "end game" to buy all the cars if you grind the META
  • 102/ 1 = 102 hours "end game" to buy all the cars.
GT4 is the longest game up to this point of the franchise, taking a total of anywhere between 195 and 350 hours to complete everything and own all cars. However, there is one pretty big caveat - B-Spec. You could run events at 3X speed to earn credits, surely making it faster. But I can't really calculate it.

It's also significant that most of that time is spent naturally playing the game, because it had so much to do, including 24 Hour Endurance races which obviously add a huge chunk on alone.

Still, even with all that, the complete time even without META grinding is thousands of hours less than GT7 whilst needing to buy 174 more cars.

GT7

• 424 cars. 79 can be won as prize cars, leaving 345 to buy
  • Normal gameplay, winning all events, takes 30-50 hours on average.
  • The current fastest grinding method is 850,000 per hour. Earning them organically can be anything from 100,000 per hour (online) to 200,000 (custom races)
  • The single most expensive car is 20,000,000.
  • To buy the remaining cars will currently estimated (because we don't know all the prices yet) cost you 400 Million Credits.
  • 400M / 850K = 470 Hours. 400M / 200K = 2,000 hours. 400M / 100K = 4,000 "end game" hours to get all the cars.
The total time to complete the game and earn all cars in GT7 is therefore currently estimated at 500-520 hours if you grind the META, 2,000-4,000 hours if you don't.

---

So, in summary/TL;DR

GT1 - 25-40 hours to complete the content, 28 "extra" hours to get all cars.
GT2 - 50-70 hours to complete the content, 10-30 "extra" hours to get all cars.
GT3 - 70 - 150 hours to complete the content, 8-10 "extra" hours to get all cars.
GT4 - 175-250 hours to complete the content, 20-100 "extra" hours to get all the cars.
GT7 - 30-50 hours to complete the content, 470-4000 hours to get all the cars.

---

I really don't get where this idea that "GT games last for years" come from. Unless you play at an incredibly slow rate, they simply do not last that long, other than you just choosing to play it because you just want to of course. But in terms of doing everything the game has to offer once, and accessing all the content, it's not. It's a few hundred hours, spread out over weeks or months depending how often you play.

Nobody said you didn't have to grind in old GT games. Nobody said they were completed and everything earned in a handful of hours. What has been said, ad nauseum, is that GT7 takes SIGNIFICANTLY longer, and does so with the least amount of unique, original content. Most of your time is "end game".

Last edited:
Ha ha. Cracking thread.

What these apologist pillocks fail to realise is that the vast majority see it for what it is.

The GT series has been slowly losing market share due to other options for years. It is and hasn’t been for a long time the only gig in town. If it kills off a large percentage of its loyal fan base and doesn’t offer anything groundbreaking to get new players in, then all the white knights can smoke Kaz’s pole all they want, but there will be no GT8 as the franchise will be dead. That would suck for all of us.

I don't think there will be be GT 8 either way.
You might be right. If the plan is to just keep updating GT7 as a service model then that could end up dead in the water as well without a decent player base. Either way it would be a crying shame.

I would be fine with spending 50 bucks a year on it if they went down that path and provided value for money content. The current model is nothing like that though. And just to get in before the “ but it’s only been a few weeks” comments, the path has been set, it’s clear what the plan is.

Well, the answer with the numbers is YES. Did they require a significant amount of time? Also yes, but nobody has ever claimed that the previous games are outright quick, nor have they desired GT7 to be outright quick. Nobody, not one person, has said they want or expect all cars in 10-20 hours.

GT1
  • ~164 cars, region dependent. 51 could be won as prizes during normal gameplay, leaving 113 to buy, but some are arcade only/can't be bought.
  • Normal gameplay, winning all events, will take about 25-40 hours, skill dependent.
  • GT World Cup gave you 170,000 credits in 30 minutes. 340,000 per hour. Some were lower, so let's estimate an average of 250,000 per hour.
  • To buy the remaining cars takes 6,932,000 for the US version. Roughly, used prices vary.
The total time to complete the game and earn all cars in Gran Turismo is therefore approximately 50-70 hours, depending on which events you re-do, skill, and luck in the events with two prize cars.

GT2
  • 618 cars in the NTSC-U version according to this. That page also has the costs. 95 are prize cars.
  • The fastest end-game method to earn credits is 550,000 in 5 minutes (GT All Stars, Red Rock Valley). With loading, it's about 6 million per hour.
  • If you don't grind that one event and just do a variety of high paying/high rewarding races you'll earn around 2 million per hour.
  • 59.8M / 6M = 10 hours. 59.8 / 2M = 30 hours "end game" playing to get the cars.
The total time to complete the game and earn all cars in GT2 is therefore approximately 60-80 hours if you grind the META, 80-100 hours if you don't. Maybe 120, if for some reason you really prefer lower paying events.

[OTHER GAMES TO BE ADDED]

GT7
  • The current fastest grinding method is 850,000 per hour. Earning them organically can be anything from 100,000 per hour (online) to 200,000 (custom races)
  • To buy the remaining cars will currently estimated (because we don't know all the prices yet) cost you 400 Million Credits.
  • 400M / 850K = 470 Hours. 400M / 200K = 2,000 hours. 400M / 100K = 4,000 "end game" hours to get all the cars.
The total time to complete the game and earn all cars in GT7 is therefore currently estimated at 500-520 hours if you grind the META, 2,000-4,000 hours if you don't.

---

So, in summary/TL;DR

---

I will add the other games when I have the time, but I'm reasonably sure they're going to be in-line with GT2. They are not going to be like GT7, which could take upwards of 3200% longer to earn all cars.

I really don't get where this idea that "GT games last for years" come from. Unless you play at an incredibly slow rate, they simply do not last that long, other than you just choosing to play it because you just want to of course. But in terms of doing everything the game has to offer once, and accessing all the content, it's not. It's a few hundred hours, spread out over weeks or months depending how often you play.

Nobody said you didn't have to grind in old GT games. Nobody said they were completed and everything earned in a handful of hours. What has been said, ad nauseum, is that GT7 takes SIGNIFICANTLY longer, and does so with the least amount of unique, original content. Most of your time is "end game".
Everyone bookmark this post.

This will maybe open the eyes of many people. I don't have the sheets of any other GT game, but GT3 is likely going to be even easier to get all cars than GT2 and GT4 is going to be in line with GT2 aside from the "main game" being significantly longer.

GT5 and GT6 are harder to gauge. And GT Sport is not a main title and you can get all cars via roulettes so it can't even be used as comparison (but it still pays out a lot more than GT7 just with the Blue Moon Bay race).

I only remember the biggest 'grind' being GT5 but that also had login bonuses that made prizes easier and seasonal events to earn big money, so I never remember it being issue. Also I could sell the prize cars I didn't want, and no cars were locked off at the beggining awaiting an 'invitation' to buy.

If I had the credits, I could buy the car, if I didn't I raced until I earned enough. There was no time limit or FOMO. I could earn and buy the cars I wanted at the pace I wanted.

I'm astonished that there are still others who are criticising those of us who keep pointing this out. It's not like we want to be disappointed in GT7 (which is what I assumed is being alluded to) but i'm not going to pretend to be satisfied with how the game is just because i'm a long-term GT fan. If anything I must call out when the games are BS, as a consumer, in the hope the developers will listen and make the necessary changes.

GT1

GT2

[OTHER GAMES TO BE ADDED]

GT7

---

So, in summary/TL;DR

---

I will add the other games when I have the time, but I'm reasonably sure they're going to be in-line with GT2. They are not going to be like GT7, which could take upwards of 3200% longer to earn all cars.

Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life

Last edited:
Even if the multi-million dollar cars were just as hard to farm for in previous games (and they're demonstrably not), they were ALWAYS available to buy. No matter if you booted up the game on release day or 25 years later.

These same cars in GT7 are only available for 4 days at a time until the servers are taken offline in, what, 4? 5? years at best? Don't forget we barely made it 2 weeks before PD killed the servers and made the game unplayable for 30 hours.

Because GT2 gives you a prize car every time you win most of the races in the game, and if you sell prize cars it takes ~twenty minutes and four races to afford the most expensive cars in the game.
Yup! That's why it's my favorite in the series. There were lots of cars in the game, and also many quick ways to earn money so you have a reasonable chance to buy and upgrade them all.

Gran Turismo 1 – 1 hour (8 races)
  1. Gran Turismo 2 – 1.5 hours (14 races)
  2. Gran Turismo 4 – 2.7 hours (32 races)
  3. Gran Turismo 6 – 5.8 hours (90 races)
  4. Gran Turismo 3 – 7.5 hours (5 races)
  5. Gran Turismo Sport – 9.9 hours (84 races)
  6. Gran Turismo 7 (v1.06) – 10.9 hours (205 races)
  7. Gran Turismo 7 (v1.07) – 17.8 hours (333 races)
  8. Gran Turismo 5 – 23.3 hours (315 races)
I came back at this just to correct GT2 and GT4, as it takes a lot less time to get the most expensive car.

In GT2, the Red Rock Valley gave you 50.000 credits and a prize car, the TVR Speed 12 (hopefully we see this beauty in GT7) that you could sell for 500.000 credits. That's 550.000 credits in the span of 5:20 minutes (using a Toyota GT-One). And yes, you can win this prize car over and over...
The most expensive cars on this game were 2.000.000 (Suzuki Escudo, Nissan R390 GT-1, and another 10 priced like this).
So you could buy the most expensive cars in about 25 minutes if you take loading times into account.

In GT4, the German Touring Car championship would give you I think 150.000 for the 5 race wins+championship win and the prize car was a Mercedes CLK-GTR LM that you could sell for 743.749 credits. That's 893.749 credits in about 18 minutes using the B-Spec with x3 speed. Like in GT2, you can win this prize car over and over.
The most expensive cars on this game were 4.500.000 credits (Toyota GT-One, Pescarollos, and another 7 or 8 priced like this).
So you could buy the most expensive cars in about 1:40 hours with loading times taken into acount.

Not exactly sure about the other games, but I trust the guy who posted that, if anything it takes even less time. No wonder GT2 and GT4 were my favourite Gran Turismos. And both GT2 and GT4 had a plethora of nice grinding methods, not just the meta.

GT7 is a disgrace. It takes more hours to get 424 cars in GT7 than it takes to get the Gran Turismo 5 Platinum, and that Platinum was both grindy as hell and difficult (considered by a lot of people one of the hardest platinums ever). For reference, if you are really good and dedicated, it took you about 600 hours to get the GT5 platinum.

Last edited:
Alright, next:

GT3
  • 181 cars in the NTSC-U Version.
  • The game gives you 112 of them as prize cars, leaving only 69 to buy. Nice.
  • Normal gameplay, winning all events, takes about 50-70 hours. However because of the random chance prize cars, this can extend a lot more. So let's say 150 absolute maximum.
  • The fastest way to earn credits seems to be around 300-500K per hour, depending what you do.
  • To buy the remaining cars will cost you 4.2 Million.
  • The single most expensive car is 455,000. There are costlier, but they're all prize cars.
  • 4.2M / 500K = 8.5 hours "end game" playing to get the cars.
The total time to complete everything GT3 has to offer and earn all of the cars is therefore anywhere between 78 and 159 hours, depending how lucky (or not) you get with the random prize cars. If you just buy a bunch of the prize cars which are available to buy it'll probably bring that high end down a bit.

Latest Posts

Back