Have you changed your view on standard cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ghsnu
  • 68 comments
  • 4,811 views
Oh god yes...the quality of Standard cars was over-exaggerated. They are absolutely fine and let's face it some of the cars are absolute gems in terms of handling.

CLK-GTR...following the three pointed star using roof-cam is, quite frankly, amazing.
 
While the Premium cars look better I'd argue that the Standard cars are much cooler and most don't look anywhere near as bad as some on here would have you believe.
 
I use a lot more standard cars than premium. I couldn't care less about them, I use bumper cam.
 
I have also been quite sceptical, but I love takin my Audi Quattro to the Ring.
 
I thought the standard cars looked terrible first time i saw one, I still use them though, because many of the cars I look forward to driving, are standard cars and I never use cockpit view anyway, so I don't really care about that part. I'm really starting to dislike them now, as some of them are a disgrace, like the corrolla rally car and toyota supra rz, they really are just PS2 cars and they look really bad in HD, it feels like the game is rushed when I see all the standard cars that have an almost identical premium version:confused: I still love the game though it's great fun
 
If anything, I like the Standards more than ever. You guys who enjoy cockpit view, more power to you, but the view is all wrong, much too low. Roof cam for me.

Other than a few clunkers, the models look outstanding in the GT5 engine, and I'm looking forward to taking pics of most of them. Like all of us, I'd prefer every car was Premium, and I do enjoy "race modding" the Prems with the additional aero kits many of them can use. But most of the cars I love are Standards, so most of my track time is with them.
 
I didn't like the idea of standard cars, but I've gotten use to them because I only use bumper cam, so it doesn't really matter what they look like until you see the replay or try to take a photo. I'd welcome more premiums but I'm not too concerned at this point.
 
I like cockpit view and don't mind the camera being low down as I am quite short in RL :) For me however there is nothing like finding that car you know is awesome, going to GT Auto and watching mr mechanic change it's fluids, paint it lamborghini orange & scrub it's wheels;) Then while driving said car around my custom made test track the feeling is special. Please PD make 'em premium but keep them in the UCD where they belong!!!
 
Some of the standards are just flat out better than their Premium counter parts. Audi R8 for example, Im glad I never bought one new because the R8 "Le Mans" I won is lighter and has more horsepower stock than any of the R8's in the Audi dealership. Im sure there are more examples though I havent found them yet. True you cant get a Le Mans new, but the make an basic model are the same, just a couple little extras on the standard only.
As far as my opinion as per the thread title, no it hasnt changed, I liked them to start and I still do. RUF.
If you think the standards look "terrible", I hope you are only comparing them to their premium versions. All these cars look great when compared to . . . Super/NES. . . Turbo Graffix 16. . . PS1/2 . . .Atari. . .Sega. . . the list goes on. . . Excite Bike comes to mind and Ivan Ironman Stewarts Super Off Road . . I used to love those games and thought they looked so cool.
 
... in premiums I cannot turn off the moving steering wheel and cockpit arms. Those are EXTREMELY annoying. If I could turn
those off, I would never think twice about driving in cockpit view
+100! i use a wheel (nothing fancy, bog-basic DF-EX) and i can't handle seeing the on-screen arms and wheel as well as my own

it's easily done in GTL and GTR2 etc on PC, so maybe if PD hear enough about this, they'll implement the option to turn them off
in a future patch
 
I haven't changed my view on standard cars. I've been buying several race cars, most of which are standard. Some look pretty nice, but I sure wish they were premiums. Can't believe the Formula GT isn't premium - I, and I think just about everybody else, uses it for B spec grinding almost exclusively.

I like to post pictures of my latest acquisitions, but it seems like as you get farther into the game, the higher performance cars tend to be standards. So that's not too satisfying - you can't really show off your massively fast and massively expensive rides the same way as you could with your mid-range cars.
 
Not since I found out that Standard cars were unmodifiable. The ONLY thing that bothers me is the inability to modify the wheels on the Standard models.

Ironically, I have enjoyed all the cars in the same manner since I don't use the cockpit mode at all. After all, whether it's a Premium or Standard, they both drive the same, and in the end, that is all I am after.

One of my most driven cars in GT5 is a Standard model. The 2004 Pontiac GTO. If I could at least paint the wheels, I would be a happy man!!
 
I was never bothered by standard cars in the first place.

I just want to see how they all drive :)
 
Yes my view has changed. I was perfectly fine with them until I started winning and purchasing them for races. Most of them look like crap. In the rain and tire smoke, both tiers are even worst. Jaggies left and right. This has shown laziness and basically a cover up for the lack of premiums. The 1000+ cars is overrated. I'd take 200-400 worthy premiums instead.
 
I noticed your avatar, you still wouldn't touch this?: (It's a blast to drive by the way)

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_1.jpg

Ok, guilty as charged:guilty:
I have used the Zonda C12 and the Toyota Minolta and the Bugatti Veryon. Thats my confession
Edit: and the Jay Leno Tank car
Edit 2: and the Toyota GT1 and the Countach
Edit 3: and the Lancia Stratos
 
Last edited:
My view hasn't changed, but only because the game was out for a month before I got it (Christmas). The standard cars aren't as bad as some people are making them out to be, but I do wish I could change the wheels (and not have such a limited selection when I can!).

This
 
PD still haven't fixed the stupid limitations that they intentionally had imposed on them (no wheels, no Photo Travel, limited Photomode) or made any effort in fixing the dozens of them with incorrect specifications, so no.
 
Yess it changed a lot...I mean at first before the game came out, most of the people were bashing them and hatin' them (includin me) but when I made my first standar adquisition, a RS200, maaaaaaan I start loving them, I haven't touched a PREMIUM car besides special events etc since like a month or something, I mean yeah there are some tweaks needed but hey I'm lovin them so far
 
In car view 100%, this WAS the major addition I was waiting for as driving stuck to the outside of the car was understandable but not truly satisfying anymore. I wouldn't want to get rid of the in-car wheel, not a distraction to me at all, and if it was, it still isn't as much of a distraction to as driving on the roof or in an invisible car was. I collect standards for sure, but 95% of the time, Premiums for me. B-Spec Bob gets to bash around the standards.
 
I went into the game not caring about the standard premium thing, but after doing some night driving in the cockpit view i was hooked. I have been using only cars with cockpit view sense.

bill
 
The only thing that really bugs me about standard cars is not being able to change wheels. I have no use for cockpit view.
 
I was fine with standards until now. I've just got a new HDTV and the standards now look awful, I can't drive them now. The jaggies are what is hurting them, if they had smoother textures then they'd be a lot better looking.
 
I have like 140 standard cars and 70 premiums... I enjoy them a lot, and I only feel bad when I want to change/paint the rims. This, for me, its a HUGE letdown from PD. If they provided us GT4 rims to change and paint, I would be a completely happy man.

The premiums are just a different experience... Last night I've had my 250hp Fiat 500 Lounge 1.2 8v around the ring... at night, with the hud off... and it was mindblowing... then I really started to feel bad about standards. But them I drive one of them that have a nice roof cam and I'm all happy man again.

But its nothing that would make me hate them. I love them to bits and I love to collect them... this "pokemon-collect-them-all" thingy its really, really fun! Just bought my first Nismo 400R, and found my lovelly Legacy Wagon 3.0R... Porsche-a-like flat-6 on a wagon, hell yeah! :) What to say about the Aston Martin V8 Vantage? Raw tire-shredding machine. 300k for it. Expensive!
 
If I have one gripe it's some of the decidedly low-res textures.
Especially the race models.
 
Yeah, you miss out on bringing them into photo travel, changing/painting wheels, aero, etc., but at the end of the day I bought GT5 to drive the cars I love. If it's a premium, great! If not oh well! I drive the cars I love and as long as I'm enjoying driving them and winning in them I coudln't care less whether it's a standard or a premium... been that way since day one!

...Plus they're ultra-fun to collect. It really adds to the game I think.
 
Hmm, I am kind of sitting on the fence on this one. They drive very well, I personally cannot feel the difference (if there is any) between standards and premiums when it comes to physics.

But when I come home from work and just want to do a few laps on the ring, I allways choose premium cars. Especially since the 1.05 update without the hud.

I can somewhat understand the Decision to implement them in the game, it certainly is better than not having them at all.

But would I have preferred 500 premiums over 200 premiums / 800 standards? Definately.

Feeling exactly the same, especially because I have to play with a pad, I could imagine driving with the bumper cam isn't too bad when you actually have a wheel infront of you, but with the controller, it just kills the immersion without the cockpit view.
 
Before my data got corrupted yesterday, I probably had a good 6 times as many Standards than I had Premiums. Graphical superiority doesn't mean a great deal to me, I'd much rather be blasting around in a NOMAD Diablo, than a Fiat 500 from the driving seat. Extreme example, I know. lol.
 
My view has not changed. No cockpit, no immersion, no fun.
 
Nah my view hasn't changed at all, if anything I resent seeing these standard cars even more now. Tuning a premium car and being able to do the carbon fiber bonnet, different selections of aero parts & rim swaps just make the standard models look even more last gen. Plus with Standards the fact the reverse lights weren't implemented, some cars have lighting glitches where their rear lights don't glow in the dark or their headlights look way too dim and it just all comes together to drag GT5 down visually.

Now I LIKE driving the cars, the physics are still aces but when a game like GT5 has such beautiful Premium cars, detailed cockpit views, fancy replays, photo modes, photo locations, aero & rim swaps & painting choices it shows that there is a lot more design and care going into this game beyond just the driving physics. There is a desire to show off what they have created. But try to take a close up picture of a standard and they won't let you. Even PD is embarrassed by them. Having these last gen standard cars in the game is like a smack in the face. :yuck: PD should have put a lot more time & care into upscaling them.
 
Back