Have you just moved from Forza to the GT series

• Thread starter Bee_Bee9
  • 77 comments
I have been bouncing between both the GT and the Forza series. Both have their strengths, such as Forza having a great car selection and loud engine noises, albeit sometimes it got a bit too loud. Whilst some of Forza's tracks are nice, they did get repetitive rather quickly, and I felt as if the handling in Forza had alot of understeer. Don't get me wrong, I loved Forza 3 and 4 when I played through them, and I will probably still go back to Forza 4 sometimes if I want to drive cars that Gran Turismo doesnt have.

I still prefer the Gran Turismo series overall because of the better driving experience, since the driving feels smoother, plus the way superior track selection. Regardless, I will pretty much be sticking to Gran Turismo from now on; I was not impressed with the way Forza was going with 5, for the reduced car and track selection, and throwing micro-transaction and DLC in your face. Sure GT6 has micro-transactions too, but at least its not in your face about it, and you can easily get money without buying any micro-transaction packs.

Another reason is because I have been with Gran Turismo ever since the first game.

Crutch? Sure. But the bottom line is that jumping into the world of HD graphics demands highly detailed car models that take a long time to make, which is seriously injurious to the overall quantity of content. So would you rather have a game that lets this injury drop the content to its knees, or one that uses a crutch to remain standing until the injury heals?

Honestly, I'm one of the people who would have been perfectly okay if GT6 had only premium cars because that's literally all I've been driving in the game. They look like they belong in the game and they're the only ones with a proper cockpit view. Plus, the standard cars are old. We have been driving them for years in GT5, GT4, and even GT3 for a good fraction of them. Even though they have new physics, my desire to drive them is nowhere as big as my desire to drive premiums. When I play a new game, I want to experience the newest content, and standard cars are a whole generation gap from being new. It's nice that the standard cars are there, but they do not add to the game for me.

Last edited:
As with others, I started with GT, then GT2. I switched over to PC racing for a while (Papyrus NASCAR titles) and got hooked on racing with a wheel. In fact, I think I still have my Logitech MOMO wheel in storage. I played a little FM2 and PGR 3 & 4 while I was using my xbox 360 primarily for Halo and Call of Duty. When FM3 came out, I ended up getting that and a Microsoft wheel. I stuck with it for a while, playing intermittently offline only. In November 2010 I started my online FM3 career and was hooked! I eventually upgraded to a Fanatec GT2 and Clubsport pedals. When FM4 launched, I was running all sim settings. I joined a few racing leagues and started setting up and managing racing series on a few different sites, as well as working with a couple of design groups creating custom one-offs and race replica liveries. Eventually, my hobby started feeling more like work, so I stepped away from online racing for almost a year.

Somewhere in the middle of all of this, I picked up a PS3 and GT5 and tinkered with it a few times, but never really put in the effort required to make the transition. I went back to FM4 even though through various updates Microsoft had managed to make my Fanatec nearly unusable. I got involved with another racing site and have been developing and managing racing series for them since the spring of 2013.

I was all set to pick up an XBONE and FM5, then details started coming out. Couple my disappointment with the little bit of news being released before the launch of FM5 with a more unstable financial situation, I cancelled my preorder of both console and game. Post launch, I am happy I did. By eliminating livery/vinyl group sharing, eliminating staple tracks, and removing car clubs, Microsoft has seen fit to practically dismantle the online racing community, focusing almost entirely instead on casual gamers.

Since I had an unused PSN gift card lying around, I decided to pick up GT6 when it launched. Starting from the bottom and working my way through the career (using all sim settings with the wheel as I did with FM4), I have begun to appreciate GT more than I had in the past. That being said, I still find FM4 to be a better racing game, while I find GT6 to be a better driving simulator. To clarify, a major part of running an online racing series is to create an immersive racing experience. This means custom liveries, number boards, sponsor decals, etc. Each driver makes (or works with a designer to make) the car their own. The lack of a livery editor is the primary reason why the site I currently race on is not considering GT6 as a viable next step in the growth and development of our community. The loss of features, the lack of tracks and cars, and the entry level price point when considering the cost of a new console of FM5 is similarly removing that title from the equation as well. In the meantime, all of our racing series are going to remain on FM4. Further, as of right now, several series currently being considered (Tudor United SportsCar Challenge, Vintage LeMans Series, Lamborghini Super Trofeo, etc.) are all being developed for FM4.

There is truly enough content to extend the life cycle of FM4 until there is a reduced price version of the XBONE (sans Kinect), a livery editor is added to the GT series (maybe in 7?), and/or Turn 10 sees the error of their ways and brings back livery and design sharing as well as the cars and tracks that were cut (likely in a series of ridiculously priced expansion packs). But for now, I am enjoying continuing my online racing 'career' with FM4 and GT6 serves as my escape when I just want to drive.

Have both consoles but my PS3 is basically just used as a blu-ray player, I stopped playing GT5 well over a year ago and GT5.5 isn't worth my time unless it's gifted to me or I find it dirt cheap.

I don't even know why I bought a PS3 in the first place, racing games is pretty much all I play and the PS3's catalogue is seriously lacking variety.

My 360 on the other hand is used daily, Forza series, Race Pro, superior multiplat games like the Dirt series and the F1 series, etc.

Now I don't plan on getting any of the "next-gen" consoles until at least early 2015, naturally, the Xbone is better for me but it's too expensive and buying a console just for a single game is stupid.

Well if you have never played Forza then it is your loss.
I agree. Still one of THE best simulation console racers IMO. And that's coming from someone that grew up a huge fan of the GT series. After playing Forza 1,2,3 and 4, it has been very difficult for me to get back into the GT series. Those that haven't played Forza, truly are missing out IMO. Forza 4 has been the best of the series but I haven't played F5 yet. I would recommend at least giving Forza 4 a chance.

I've been a long time GT and forza player. But Forza has been my choice in recent years. But the facts that my hardware (wheels) aren't supported in next gen so it was pretty easy to decide.

Then all the negative news on forza 5 sort of had me not looking back.

The irony is I haven't used my wheel in GT 6 yet... But I've been doing a lot of real racing this year so needing a sim fix hasn't been as bad as in the past.

The most fun games across both series was GT5 and the original Forza Motorsport imo. I firmly believe that they both offered the most competitive and the closest online racing[without the need for boost]. Epic fun times were had.

The first thing you'll notice is the crappy sounds, and our beloved standards :D But other than that, it would be hard to go back to another console racing game. Especially because of the physics.

I played a bit of Forza 3 and it was nice. Loved the sounds and the Arcady physics weren't so bad as with other Arcade racers.

What makes me consider Forza is the sounds, and especially the car list. However, even if I would love to try Forza 5, I won't spend $500 on a console just for a game :P

I met lots of cool people on Forza 2 and raced almost every night for several months and continued to race often right up until Forza 3. I had such high hopes for Forza 3 and had the rug pulled out. No more tuning in lobbies, no more ability to create a public lobby, career leaderboards all gone, tournaments all gone, exhibition mode gone and suddenly you have to drive AWD to compete in almost every class, The once fun R4, R3, R2 classes now included super cars that can go 250+ mph but can't hold a corner and they totally nerfed the S7 and the GT40 as well as all the muscle cars.

I hated the hopper races and during the 2 years I played FM3 off and on I met maybe 2 new people who were cool to race with where in FM2 in half that time I met at least 50 - 100 about 30 of which where regulars and very good.

FM4 did several things better than 3 but still just not the same experience as FM2. Rivals mode was cool and they did fix the AWD issues but had other issues that were not in the previous titles.

I bought Horizon and tried to enjoy it but it went back to the store for credit with in a week,

I don't think I could have written it better myself. Exactly describes my feelings about FM2 and the decline since then.

For those who have never played Forza, or those have only played FM3 or later, you really do owe it to yourself to pick up FM2. You can get the game for under 5 bucks at most game stores. A used 360 is dirt cheap. The servers are still on for most of the online. Can't do tournaments and the AH is gone, but leaderboards and lobbies are still there. There hasn't been a racing game with as thorough and enjoyable racing related and online features ever. FM3 killed so much of what made FM2 a game that never left the XBL Top 10 online games played in over two years. Forza apologists will blame 3 and 4's lack of showing on that list on shooters. As if there weren't Call of Duty's and Halo's during FM2's run.

On topic, I've now heard from 2 old friends I haven't talked to since FM2 who have gotten back into racing with GT6. Think there's going to be a lot of old Forza players coming to GT6. And if Kaz and PD happen to get it right with the car clubs then watch out....a flood of Forza players and teams will show up.

The first thing you'll notice is the crappy sounds, and our beloved standards :D But other than that, it would be hard to go back to another console racing game. Especially because of the physics.

I played a bit of Forza 3 and it was nice. Loved the sounds and the Arcady physics weren't so bad as with other Arcade racers.

What makes me consider Forza is the sounds, and especially the car list. However, even if I would love to try Forza 5, I won't spend $500 on a console just for a game :P

Try and pick up a used 360 and a copy of Forza 4. It wipes the floor with 3 in every aspect.
I wasn't gonna fork out 500+ notes on a console for one game either, and that's obviously not including the price of a whole new racing rig to go with it.
I'm sticking with Forza 4 and I might jump into GT6 too. I'm not liking some of the reviews that I've been reading here from long time GT5 players though it has to be said.

I do not see why anyone would jump ship from FM4 to GT6, makes little to no sense at all. I can understand jumping ship from FM5 to GT7, but that's a long way off and even then who is to say that GT7 isn't going to disappoint.

I do not see why anyone would jump ship from FM4 to GT6, makes little to no sense at all. I can understand jumping ship from FM5 to GT7, but that's a long way off and even then who is to say that GT7 isn't going to disappoint.
It's because it's relatively cheap. It's a new challenge and we can use our Fanatec wheels too.
It's a no brainer really.

Try and pick up a used 360 and a copy of Forza 4. It wipes the floor with 3 in every aspect.
I wasn't gonna fork out 500+ notes on a console for one game either, and that's obviously not including the price of a whole new racing rig to go with it.
I'm sticking with Forza 4 and I might jump into GT6 too. I'm not liking some of the reviews that I've been reading here from long time GT5 players though it has to be said.

Hey Jockey, GT6 is very unpolished at the moment with poor framerates and screen tearing and the usual rubberbanding and poor AI. Hopefully some of these issues will be tweaked in due course.

Never felt the need to abandon GT series in the 1st place.
I dont know why, lots of people felt disappointed with GT5 and I never understood it. For me it was many times better than GT4, a game that I loved too.

I made the switch recently as well. IMO the Forza franchise has been heading in the wrong direction for some time. Combine a game that's going backwards as fast as it can with a 500 dollar console with little else to offer and there was just no way I was going to continue to support T10/MS. Day one customer for every Forza, most every DLC offered until FM4, multiple consoles and years and years of live. Unless Greenbucks gets replaced or suddenly remembers his original "vision" of being the best console simulation racer and beating GT they will not see another dime from me. But I suspect he's going to continue down this casual car culture graphics obsessed path he's on because he thinks it's making them more money. Except FM4 didn't sell as well as FM2....hmmm.

Loving GT6 though. Had short stint with GT5 and it got boring quick. Hoping the community update, with the car clubs, will also include a more comprehensive LB system to prevent boredom from setting in with GT6. That's all the game is lacking IMO. My hope is the friends LB's for the career licences are some kind of test for a larger system that includes leaderboards for all the career races and also a class/pp based hotlap boards.

I think the fact it is a new thing for you is why you are able to defend GT6 while the rest of us who have been with the series much longer like you were with FM feel different. Really there is no difference between the two in philosophy of graphics, Dan got crap for going to a different firm to help model cars for FM4 and gets crap when he keeps it in house for FM5 like fans wanted. Damned if he does or doesn't scenario.

The only grounds I can agree with the FM folks on is that T10 dropped the ball with night racing, dynamic weather not being in the game. Also the steering support being non-existent on the XB1 is also an issue too that I can see a justifiable reason of hate.

However, if you think it's great quality control to allow the majority of your cars to not have anywhere close to the graphics of their premiums counterparts then those are some unique standards, to say the least. Thing is PD kept their ugly outdated cars to use as a marketing tool to say they have the most to offer, T10 took them out because they didn't want to cheat their customers and quality and have a game that looks incomplete.

However, if you think it's great quality control to allow the majority of your cars to not have anywhere close to the graphics of their premiums counterparts then those are some unique standards, to say the least. Thing is PD kept their ugly outdated cars to use as a marketing tool to say they have the most to offer, T10 took them out because they didn't want to cheat their customers and quality and have a game that looks incomplete.
I'd rather have standards than no standars, by a long shot. I mean, you can still drive them exactly as the premiums. This is a huge issue with nowadays gaming. Too much graphics works, not enough fun and gameplay focus.

The steering wheel situation is a huge oversight granted !!
It was a kick in the stones alright. I really do not understand why MS and T10 never asked for true fans opinions on such matters. and I don't just mean about wheel compatibility, I mean about all the great features, tracks and cars that were dropped too.
Look at what they are facing now, a mass exodus and a shiitstorm of criticism on their own forums from their most loyal fans.
I'm gonna play the waiting game and let things develop.

I'd rather have standards than no standars, by a long shot. I mean, you can still drive them exactly as the premiums. This is a huge issue with nowadays gaming. Too much graphics works, not enough fun and gameplay focus.

Uh sure, but I however disagree obviously and I take quality as something serious especially when I'm paying $60 for them and the other issues they have. If you're fine with paying for last gen quality (PS2) that's fine but I'd be fine with them disappearing considering you nor I will ever get around to driving all the cars.

Oh and you cant drive them exactly like premiums they have limited modification features they standard cockpits are horrid and make it impossible in many cases to drive compared to premiums so...

Uh sure, but I however disagree obviously and I take quality as something serious especially when I'm paying $60 for them and the other issues they have. If you're fine with paying for last gen quality (PS2) that's fine but I'd be fine with them disappearing considering you nor I will ever get around to driving all the cars.

Oh and you cant drive them exactly like premiums they have limited modification features they standard cockpits are horrid and make it impossible in many cases to drive compared to premiums so...
The thing with cars is, standards are much faster to "create", therefore what would you prefer, 500-600 standards or 100 premiums? Because the level of detail of the premiums is very big and I would say that it takes at least 5-6 times more to create than a standard.
And how the black interior makes the cars impossible to drive? Don't understand at all. Interiors are only "decoration" in this game, they serve no real purpose gameplay-wise

I have played all the GT's and Forza iterations, I was only able to afford a PS3 just a few months ago, so I played GT5 for a little and enjoyed it, it was the only reason I wanted a PS3 or so long. With GT6 out now I have started relearning to tune and lap the cars. If FM5 had allowed my Fanatec CSR (FORZA BRANDED), I probably would have gotten the system. on the other hand though, I'm not really sure I wouldnt be dissapointed.

I remember Forza being awesome back in the day, but its just taken big leaps backward for my taste since the early games I can deal with the lack of cars in 5, but id rather have more content than bloody pretty pictures. Just the fact that they got rid of Camino, Fujimi, Suzuka, tskooooooba, Road America, Mugello and maple valley (pretty much all of my favourite tracks off the top of my head) is enough for me to finally stop giving them my money.

Very happy with GT6 so far :)
XBOX: aj_aus84

The thing with cars is, standards are much faster to "create", therefore what would you prefer, 500-600 standards or 100 premiums? Because the level of detail of the premiums is very big and I would say that it takes at least 5-6 times more to create than a standard.
And how the black interior makes the cars impossible to drive? Don't understand at all. Interiors are only "decoration" in this game, they serve no real purpose gameplay-wise

Of course it takes more time to create than a standard, all standards are are ported over cars as I already said. And either way they have to waste more time on them now and in the future upgrading them and putting newer attributes to them to make the premium versions. Interiors aren't a decoration they gauges can be read and some of us like to play without a HUD, so not sure where your basing this off of and that idea is quite inane.

The standard interiors make the car view dark and hard to deal with especially during day shift changes and night time racing, or shadowy areas on a track like say trial mountain. I also said in many cases they are impossible to use not all the time, context should be used when reading.

Of course it takes more time to create than a standard, all standards are are ported over cars as I already said. And either way they have to waste more time on them now and in the future upgrading them and putting newer attributes to them to make the premium versions. Interiors aren't a decoration they gauges can be read and some of us like to play without a HUD, so not sure where your basing this off of and that idea is quite inane.

The standard interiors make the car view dark and hard to deal with especially during day shift changes and night time racing, or shadowy areas on a track like say trial mountain. I also said in many cases they are impossible to use not all the time, context should be used when reading.

IMO cockpit view is nothing but graphical eye candy that detracts from the racing experience at this time. If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me "sorry I hit you, I couldn't see you....I'm in cockpit view" I could have literally funded the development of PCars all by myself (and I would have canned cockpit view..lol). Maybe in the future better tech will be available to deliver a true visual representation of what sitting in a cockpit is like, but it's not here yet. Again, my opinion.

For those of us like me who still use bumper or hood cam there is absolutely zero difference between standards or premiums when we're on track. I could care less what they look like in pictures. Most of my favorite cars in this game are standards. Would I like them to be premium? Sure. But do I care that PD don't want to go through the time and expense of finding many of these older and very rare cars just so they can be re-done? Nope, give me all the standards you got.

Dan gets blamed because he deserves it. Yes, Kaz and every other developer wants the best graphics they can for their games. Difference is, Kaz has not gutted his game in the name of graphics as Turn 10 has.

GT is way more guilty of over focusing on graphics. The physics are clearly a second or third priority, and the game has continually gone backwards features wise when it comes to racing. No qualification, no proper tuning menus, no driving switching for long races. The only thing you can really count on in a new GT is more polygons for the most detailed cars.

Most console racers admittedly do too much with graphics, but GT is certainly not an outlier here.

There isn't really anything arcadey about Forza 3. It certainly beats GT4 and GT5 just barely edged it out. Forza 4 though is not only better than GT5, but all of GT6 that I've played so far. For this generation of console, I think Forza is the clear winner when it comes to simulation.

I think the fact it is a new thing for you is why you are able to defend GT6 while the rest of us who have been with the series much longer like you were with FM feel different. Really there is no difference between the two in philosophy of graphics, Dan got crap for going to a different firm to help model cars for FM4 and gets crap when he keeps it in house for FM5 like fans wanted. Damned if he does or doesn't scenario.

The only grounds I can agree with the FM folks on is that T10 dropped the ball with night racing, dynamic weather not being in the game. Also the steering support being non-existent on the XB1 is also an issue too that I can see a justifiable reason of hate.

And GT is not a new thing to me. I've played every one except 4. Didn't play that simply because I was on Xbox playing FM1 and the all time great Project Gotham 2. And no, I'm not defending anyone. T10 and PD both have armies of fanboys lined up to do that for them. I just play whatever game is best. Right now, that's GT6, and honestly it's not even close even with the many flaws in this game.

And I don't believe FM5's lack of cars has anything to do with quality control. It's the same reason why the day one DLC consisted of one new car (that no doubt had a special rivals event attatched to it) and the rest were just old cars you had in FM4. Cha-Ching!!!! Greenbucks cashin in. Why sell you 400 cars on disk, when marketing research suggest they can sell you 200 on disk and people will run to buy the other 200 via DLC? Turn 10 aren't car people...they're cash people. Of course, PD wants your money too. They even tried (and failed) to do the same MT nonsense T10 did. But to their credit, they are uploading new DLC cars to the game weekly and have a history of providing lots of post release content and updates. Which I learned the hard way trying to install and get online with GT5 on a new PS3 last week....lol. 25 updates and half a day later I got play.

IMO cockpit view is nothing but graphical eye candy that detracts from the racing experience at this time. If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me "sorry I hit you, I couldn't see you....I'm in cockpit view" I could have literally funded the development of PCars all by myself (and I would have canned cockpit view..lol). Maybe in the future better tech will be available to deliver a true visual representation of what sitting in a cockpit is like, but it's not here yet. Again, my opinion.

I guess, I'm more into the sim aspect them some. My mistake. Also considering the setups and even on a lower setup when playing GT5, I had no issues with cockpit view. I've raced many on GTP that use it and they do so cleanly, if you're talking about your run of the mill fly by night casual gamers they'll blame anything on why they hit you. I wouldn't use your limited example as a reason why it doesn't function correctly. Also there are plenty of games that feature what sitting in a cockpit is like and technology is there as well, what are you talking about with the bold portion? It's been here

For those of us like me who still use bumper or hood cam there is absolutely zero difference between standards or premiums when we're on track. I could care less what they look like in pictures. Most of my favorite cars in this game are standards. Would I like them to be premium? Sure. But do I care that PD don't want to go through the time and expense of finding many of these older and very rare cars just so they can be re-done? Nope, give me all the standards you got.

Then what's the point of having premiums, also PD don't need to go out and find the cars and take pictures and outside studio can do it and then bring it back to PD. I don't understand people perhaps it is where I work or the fact that the two degrees I got I have to have quality in everything and want to buy products that are the same. Maybe having to study QC in manufacturing. Who knows but if you're fine with non-linear quality across the entire game, good for you.

And GT is not a new thing to me. I've played every one except 4. Didn't play that simply because I was on Xbox playing FM1 and the all time great Project Gotham 2. And no, I'm not defending anyone. T10 and PD both have armies of fanboys lined up to do that for them. I just play whatever game is best. Right now, that's GT6, and honestly it's not even close even with the many flaws in this game.

Please explain how it's not even close, I'd love to hear this. Also I'm not a fanboy of either in the past week alone I got into long winded fights about both games having flaws because said fanatical fans couldn't come to grips with how crappy the current stance of both are.
And I don't believe FM5's lack of cars has anything to do with quality control. It's the same reason why the day one DLC consisted of one new car (that no doubt had a special rivals event attatched to it) and the rest were just old cars you had in FM4. Cha-Ching!!!! Greenbucks cashin in.

Yeah PD did this too with GT5, and here it comes the old tried and true M$ argument aspect.

Why sell you 400 cars on disk, when marketing research suggest they can sell you 200 on disk and people will run to buy the other 200 via DLC? Turn 10 aren't car people...they're cash people. Of course, PD wants your money too. They even tried (and failed) to do the same MT nonsense T10 did. But to their credit, they are uploading new DLC cars to the game weekly and have a history of providing lots of post release content and updates. Which I learned the hard way trying to install and get online with GT5 on a new PS3 last week....lol. 25 updates and half a day later I got play.

They haven't failed with the MT, has it been fully taken out, I haven't seen it taken out and until it is you can't say it failed. Unless you have a fiscal sheet showing you the sales of MT to date? Dan and T10 sound like car people to me, the group that owns them sounds like a financial backer just the same as Sony for PD. I don't blame PD fully for the past DLC stuff that could have easily been patched and wasn't new.

PD are known for relying on it and thus having a glitched game as a result...they don't upload new cars weekly at least not as far as GT5 goes. GT6 on the other hand has stuff set up already for scheduled release but it isn't weekly.

You know the jumping of ship, either way, requires the purchase of a new console (probably), I'm not 100% against moving from GT to FM, (when I compared FM4 to GT5, fat chance) but it would have to be at a time when the XB1 is cheaper than it is now, and possibly when the PS4 is cheaper AND GT7 comes out as well (fairer comparison possibly).

Back