Have you learned something by playing GT?

• Thread starter tomcat66
  • 108 comments
Austria
Vienna, Austria
mr tomcat 66
I would be interested if you think that you learned something by playing Gran Turismo (or/and other similar games/simulations)?

Of course the first thing that comes to mind is controlling a car. But there are other things that are possible to learn too, like things about cars in general (somebody mentioned that he is using GT to select his next real life car) or informations about race tracks.

Would you recommend playing GT for something different that just driving/racing with a car?

I personally believe that GT is able to teach you a lot about the behaviour of a car. GT's physics are close enough to reality that you can transfer experiences to real life situations. But I also believe that it is necessary to use a good wheel go gain some use in real life.

I am sure that I have learned a lot about car control under extreme situations. And I am a rather old guy with more than 30 years of real life driving experiences with lots of different cars and bikes on the road and race tracks.

So I really recommend playing GT when starting to drive a car. I even would like to see GT (or other sims/games like that) in driving schools (of course with wheels and pedals).

Unfortunately in real life I cannot afford to be involved in motorsport except as a spectator. I have probably learnt more about racing lines and therefore where to place a car on a track. I have driven on track in the past, but before getting GT5/6.

I have learnt theoretical stuff about different handling characteristics etc, but in real life I drive small front wheel drive cars and large vans within the speed limit and on the correct side of the road so personally not much of my gaming experience is applicable to my non-gaming life.

The big difference in sensation is the physical movement of a real car and the G forces of acceleration, deceleration and cornering together with the body roll which all communicate to let you know how close you are to the limit. I think it is harder to get close to the limit in a game because you only have visual and auditory information - I find that gaming novices who try my wheel and pedals with GT6 are normally hopeless at the game even though they are good drivers of a real car. Of course there is no danger in driving a PS3 so once you develop some skill you can easily drive faster in the game than you would in a car, even on a track.

The game has increased my desire to race in real life even though that is only likely to happen if I had a big Euro Millions win - and then it would be as a gentleman driver of classic racing cars.

I have learnt a lot about cars from the game and also from this site, particularly the car suggestions thread which I have thoroughly enjoyed reading.

I have also played Need For Speed (didn't enjoy it) and didn't learn much about ramming police cars!

Soony

Thing is GT6 drive model is merely 'ok'... I dont think you can realistic learn anything you cant learn from any other sim. I think you can learn how to 'play their game' ie. 5 laps, overtake a dozen cars so you gotta be a bit mercenary on the overtake. That aggressive overtaking thing does well in other games too.

Absolutley nothing. Its just a video game and nothing else.
You could learn maybe in GTA by stopping on red and respecting the road rules..
But GT is just racing, to go as fast as possible

I learned that sim racing/driving games have great potential for immersiveness, much more so than any other genre I'm personally familiar with, with the right set up. Moving on to other games as @FrzGT has suggested above, really opened my eyes to the possibility that other devs are much closer to immersion than GT is, but it was GT that set me on that path.

To be fair, many other games are a reason to not preorder. Gt6 was far from being the straw that broke the camels back
Why does it have to be fair?

I learned that sim racing/driving games have great potential for immersiveness, much more so than any other genre I'm personally familiar with, with the right set up. Moving on to other games as @FrzGT has suggested above, really opened my eyes to the possibility that other devs are much closer to immersion than GT is, but it was GT that set me on that path.

Im not exactly moving on. Its still has the feel especially with the best lighting and FPS. Not to mention the music. Its just with an outdated car list and a still mediocre sounds on older cars and the fact that its not majorly changed since years ago and less friends play it today especially compared to the GT5 Spec II makes me want a driving game other than GT.

Why can't it be?

Maybe people are right about the gtplanet forums being absurdly critical/pessimistic.
Could be just the very vocal minority. Or people are just burned out; even explain this is burned out.

How to fund one's racing escapades with game-backed revenue, and keep oneself distanced from a (formerly) loyal fan base. ;)

I 'learned' everything else from books & real track experience, GT just served as a practice-medium until I realized how limited it's become, and moved on.

I learnd that learning is not a consious activity but a subconsious one. Therefore we should just close this useless thread and go on with our lives whether we've learned something or not. We will never know the difference.

yes, learned better sport/racing driving in GT for circuit use, special and much more in GT6 than previous versions, the GT 6 have all the basic features sporty driving for track day use, weight transfer and relationship of this with front or rear axle, the perfect lines, braking points, trail braking, and how to control oversteer and understeer ...with a wheel 900 and pedals only of course, minimum with DFGT...

but also i play alot and make practice befoce in very good pc simulators like GT Legends and Power Glory 3, now the GT6 with proper options/settings (and ONLY without ABS and any driver aid) is very near to good pc sims in many points... but GT6 unfortunately dont have realistic damages special from hard wrong driving like damage engine, gearbox, tire wear, brake fading, brake engine in downshifts... to make the virtual driver to drive more careful like real life...
but for basics for a trackday casual driver, as i say in first paragraph, is very good the GT6 for me, and combines the fun of gaming also with simulate circuit driving....

also i learned lot for japanese cars I did not know before, and now I respect more some japan cars (sorry for my bad english).

Last edited:
I've been playing GT since the first instalment, many years before I was driving real cars. So for me, when it comes to cars...what didn't i learn from GT :lol:

At a young age, many of my first encounters with a variety of cars and Motorsport disciplines was through GT.

As I got older, I started to learn more about things like how to follow a Racing Line, how to set up a pass, and other aspects of basic racecraft.

Because I don't ever get a chance to drive my street car "at the limit", GT is the only place where I can get close to that sensation. Through GT, I've learned about, and how to practice, techniques like trail braking, left foot braking, and a few others. I've also learned how to feel the difference between various drivetrains, and how each requires a slightly different approach to be pushed to the limit.

Starting in GT5, I got into drifting. Pretty much everything I now know about drifting, IRL or in GT, is because of GT. Through trial and error, help from GTP, as well as reading many technical papers, I've learned a ton about tuning and car setup.

I definitely don't think GT can replace real life experience, and it may have its limitations for an experienced race driver....but for the average person, there's a lot that can be learned from playing GT.

Because as far as disappointments go, gt6 is pretty far down the list.

Never go and re-play older versions of GT. (GT2 - The memories were so good but on a second play - my eyes!)
Never trust a PP rating. Drive the car yourself, then say the VGT FT-1 (Toyota) is worse than the DP-100 VGT (Aston)
Never trust a person controlling a car who uses ABS.

Yeah of course, you learn how to race, how to take the lines, how to overtake, and in general stuff that you can hardly do in real life because of sky-high costs. Saving the distances, because its always a game and it cannot be like real life, but, the vast majority of us dont have any other choice.

Immersion is overrated.
You are not there, a game is not real life nor it will be. You're not inside an expensive supercar, you're only in your house and in your sofa in front of your tv and you always will be.

Immersion is overrated for me.
You are not there, a game is not real life nor it will be but the more accurately the sounds, physics, graphics and real life tuning and racing options are represented, the easier it is to immerse yourself in the game. You're not inside an expensive supercar, you're only in your house and in your sofa in front of your tv and you always will be, and yet a really accurately crafted game can make you suspend belief, if only for an hour or two.
Fixed that for you. You're entitled to your opinion that immersion is overrated for you, I hold a completely different opinion and I suspect many sim racers would agree with me.

Last edited:
Fixed that for you. You're entitled to your opinion that immersion is overrated for you, I hold a completely different opinion and I suspect many sim racers would agree with me.
Have you ever tried to race a super car or race car in real life in a real race track? I tell you no game will ever compare, like... never. Its a game and always will be. Even the super advanced F1 simulators that cost lots of money dont compare to the real thing.

Yeah of course, you learn how to race, how to take the lines, how to overtake, and in general stuff that you can hardly do in real life because of sky-high costs. Saving the distances, because its always a game and it cannot be like real life, but, the vast majority of us dont have any other choice.

Immersion is overrated.
You are not there, a game is not real life nor it will be. You're not inside an expensive supercar, you're only in your house and in your sofa in front of your tv and you always will be.
While you may be right, a game isn't real life but devs are pushing toward a solution to trick our mind into think it is, I don't know where you were the last few years but there's something out there called Oculus rift and it's the first step toward a deeper immersion for gamers.

And seriously, you know that GT has made some real race car drivers for a while now, right? it's called GT Academy in case you're wondering.

Back