Have you learned something by playing GT?

• Thread starter tomcat66
  • 108 comments
It's not so much what it taught me as what it did for me. GT4 onwards was basically my gateway into car culture. I can consider myself a petrolhead mostly thanks to that first time I picked up GT4, many years ago.

... i ve learned that i am still very far from using every single cars on every single track configuration in the game, and trying to do the best lap time both in stock and tuned form, in order to complete this personal goal of mine...

Even if i complete the game @100%, which i am currently @80something... i am still light years away from doing everything i want to do with this game...

Heck, i havent completed GT4 properly...
Hexk, i havent completed GT2 properly...

I am seriously behind...

As far as i am concerned, Kaz can take his time churning out that GT7...

I've learned how to race, and how to do it quickly from the game. Racing lines, learning braking points and how to defend and overtake effectively.

I have never driven a real car in real life, nor have I ever raced one but I went Karting once. I had many years experience on GT4, GT5 and GT6 before I went Karting for the first time and I took to it like a duck to water. I was mid-pack with professional drivers and completed lap times only 1.2 seconds off the leader and 2 seconds faster than the slowest. Bearing in mind this is the first time I had ever driven anything outside of a game. I firmly believe that Gran Turismo taught me how to race quickly and efficiently long before I tried it in real life.

Because of this I firmly believe that GT is the best teacher for the casual gamer of how to compete in motorsport in real life. I'd love to be able to do real life motorsport because of the drive I have from Gran Turismo (no pun intended) but as with most people, it's a far off dream unless I won a lottery or two...

I've learnt that all cars understeer on corner entry, no matter what tyres you use or which drivetrain the car uses !
All FWD cars and most 4WD's will continue to understeer on corner exit !
Ah well, at least it's not like RWD cars understeer in, then try and kill you with oversteer out of corners huh :D

Oh, hang on :lol:

I've learnt that all cars understeer on corner entry, no matter what tyres you use or which drivetrain the car uses !
All FWD cars and most 4WD's will continue to understeer on corner exit !
Ah well, at least it's not like RWD cars understeer in, then try and kill you with oversteer out of corners huh :D

Oh, hang on :lol:

b5af8c5a51915aa14b9bcf695fd01e954610f9dbdd162beea1e58201b0e1b253.jpg

Not only has Gran Turismo thought me some things about the mechanics of cars but encouraged me to find out more for example how a turbo works and things like that. So yes, gran turismo has thought me a lot about cars over the past year.

To me, Gran Turismo is more like a time attack with other cars on the track, it never feels like an immersive race. I have never felt any excitement in these games, even so, I still look forward to GT7 :)

Learned a lot about pedal work. Much more smooth on the throttle and brake in both GT and my daily drives. People are in awe of my ability to get much higher MPGs in the same car on the same roads. :D Now if only I could get rid of my wife's lead foot....

Absolutley nothing. Its just a video game and nothing else.
You could learn maybe in GTA by stopping on red and respecting the road rules..
But GT is just racing, to go as fast as possible

If you aren't learning, you're doing something wrong. You probably have and don't know it.

I'm not the only one who has plotted a racing line through my local supermarket :)

Some day I will map out my SuperTarget "Cart"ing Complex. The Electronics Drift Stage and Housewares Road Course are quite fun. :mischievous:

@DigitalBaka Its just a video game, remember that.
You cant compare the real world with the virtual.
If you crash a car at 200kmh in game you simply press start new game or race.
But in the real world you may pay the price with your life and there aint for sure no "start new game yes-no"
Remember its just a videogame and nothing else. No matter what wheel or seat you have for gaming.
When you sit in a real car no matter in traffic or on a real racetrack the conditions are real!!
If its wet, slippery, foggy etc.. and you brake too late or misjudge the corner it end very badly.
So dont compare the real and the videogames world, cuz it will never be the same no matter how good they make the graphics, physics.

I dont have wheel and i aint interested in it.

I've learned to know if a car will be good or not before making a big purchase on the car. Made this mistake too many times........

I've mostly played Gran Turismo since my teens! (Although now I play everything sim related ;) ).Not been into professional karting or whatsoever (except slow-ass leisure rent karts :P)! A few years ago I decided to buy a cheap mx5 for track days! Apart from the initial first-time-at-the-track-experience-the-Gs shock and especially the weight transfer - feeling like a giant kicked you - everything else was pretty much as I had thought it would be! Then the First time with semi slicks I broke a lap record with a stock mx5 and the year after I became the Champion of the Mx5 Cup Cyprus 2013-14! Now we are running into the second year of the Time Attack series and I won the first Time attack race a few weeks ago - although I know that it will be hard to keep to the top as I am a father for a few days now and my time/money is limited!
Next Time Attack Race is on the 3rd of May (wish me luck) :)
So has Gran Turismo helped me? I truly believe so! In my opinion having the proper tyres on, Gt6 is a great tool for anyone to learn the fastest lines, steering corrections, correctly positioning a car on the track and before a corner etc! (If you've never been on a track you'll be amazed how your mind keeps telling you that holding left is wrong if you want to turn right and so on - this and many other things don't happen as much when you are used to driving sims!
So, although there are many features that I'd like to see implemented to GT for it to become an even more realistic game, for now it does it's job adequately and you are sure to gain a lot from playing it!

After gt academy 2015 round one i learned that a GTR is a bad understeery car that can take the Silverstone complex corners more slowly than my 2004 Volvo S40 on worn out tires.

Guess it's bad advertising for nissan lol

I guess for me it goes in this order.
GT4 was my first GT game, so i learned everything from there.

I learned:
1. about cars - some i never seen or heard before, GT really expanded my car knowledge.

2. about courses - same as 1.

3. to drive - most realistic feel in a car game ever, i learned to nail lap times and win races.

4. to tune - okay, i didn't really learned to tune cars, but i did learned about car parts.

5. to take photos professionally - i just got the hang of taking photos better.

6. to appreciate the games quality.

7. most of all that a small company in Japan called Polyphony Digital has made me who i am today.

GT taught me how to be a smooth driver, that smoothness was key in order to be the quickest. I used to play it a lot before I got my license 2 years ago so I guess it helped a lot when I learned how to drive properly.

Interesting, plenty of people of whom I've given rides to have said my driving is very smooth for someone who's only had their license for 2 years (not tooting my own horn, it's been said) so I was pretty surprised since the way I drive in GT is pretty much the way I drive in real life, just within the speed limit and rules of the road though:D

Another thing I've been taught is to be calm when you drive. The minute you start being aggressive and flustered , you're slow and you just look wack.

I would be interested if you think that you learned something by playing Gran Turismo (or/and other similar games/simulations)?

I got into amateur motorsports and GT4 almost simultaneously. I drive all RR cars IRL (all my 4-season daily drivers are either Classic VWs Beetles or Classic Porsches, and I do Autocross and Ice-Racing also in all RR cars). I learned a ton from GT4 using FFB wheels. The feedback and handling in GT4 were so realistic that everything I learned in GT4 translated directly to the track / ice. Everything I learned in real-life translated right back into GT4. It was amazing.

Unfortunately all that went out the window with GT5 and is even worse with GT6. I've had to completely stop playing GT6 because the physics for rear-biased cars is so screwed-up that it was actually causing me to have problems in real-life motorsports. (Muscle-memory is a powerful thing!)

I've been slowly of moving my Sim racing to PC anyway, and will eventually setup a PS2 station again for GT4, but my days of learning anything from a Gran Turismo game are over (unless I want to learn how a car doesn't handle!) It's really very sad... But, you know, sometimes a company gets it right and never manages to do it again...

Might not be the classic answer than is expected from the questions, but regardless of whatever I could have learned from the driving perspective, the one thing I learned is the collaboration among individuals of common interest with the internet as a medium. Most racing series or Time trial, be it SNAIL, WRS or ES, are put together by players and is enjoyed by their peers in an environment of collaborative thinking and decision making, expanding the possibilities that might ever be reached by the developer of the games.

GT has only taught me the very basics of racing lines and in GT6 very basic weight transfer. In every other GT game the car suspension model is very flat which results in arcade style driving to get alien fast lap times. I tried LFS and iRacing and when I went back to GT6 it was an eye opener on how arcadey the physics are in comparison. This is what happens when you need to compromise and appeal to the casual audience as well as the hardcore audience.

After playing "The Real Driving Simulator"
I learned how to enjoy Bossanova, lounge, and whiney Japanese Emo rock music. And also that a game should always be judged by how many polygons a car model has.

How do you judge GT6 as a game that has below par low polygon model standard cars and above par high polygon models? :) I'm insinuating that GT6 is bad and good, not good and bad. lol

Last edited:
GT taught me a lot about JDM cars. In fact I based my latest purchase on how the car handled in the game.

Back