HBO's WestWorldTV 

Ok so I've seen the first 2 episodes, and wasn't super hooked before my HBO subscription ran out (following game of thrones). I do have a very serious question though which will determine whether I can get into this show...

How the heck do the guns work? I'm gonna put the rest in spoiler tags
So the guests can shoot the hosts no problem. And the hosts can shoot the other hosts. So far it seems like they all have real guns. And the hosts can't shoot the guests. Ok that's confusing because the bullets have to like not exist? Or the gun has to be configured to shoot a non-existent round? Or the guests have some sort of pre-built-in charge that goes off? That last one doesn't make sense. Anyway presumably there's some kind of explanation for this but I feel like the entire show hinges on it, because otherwise nothing makes sense.

If the guests have normal guns and the hosts have special guns, (which the show seemed to be slightly hinting at) well that doesn't make any sense at all because otherwise the guests would unknowingly murder each other.

So I need a solid explanation for how this works before i'm going to be willing to commit any further time or money to watching.

Thanks in advance.
How the guns work will be the least of your concerns..

I liked the show but by end of season 2 I'm not sure if I even knew what the hell was going on.

I have watched both seasons and thought it was some kind of sensor on the guns that knew when it was pointed at a host etc... but I don't really have an answer so I did a quick search and it's a common debate apparently...

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a20268205/westworld-guns-explained/

Even the director was a bit lost in his explanation :D:tup:

How the guns work will be the least of your concerns..

I liked the show but by end of season 2 I'm not sure if I even knew what the hell was going on.

Thanks for the answers. We'll see if I can get back into it at some point. The sense of urgency is lower given that the writers didn't take the time to really address a fundamental enabling feature of the show.

It has promise for sure.

The weirder thing is that the hosts can shoot the guests and do in many episodes without real consequences. All the guests really walk away with is a welt that looks like they were hit with a paintball.

Even further puzzling is how melee and blade weapons work. This really isn't a spoiler since I think they do talk about it early on, but there are something like 6 or 7 parks each with a different theme. One of those is a shogun themed world that most certainly has katanas. Presumably, there's a medieval world too where there are swords as well. I can sort of get the logic where guns have a tiny computer that reads sensors, but how on earth do you make edge weapons less slashy or melee weapons less bashy?

Westworld seems like it's one of those shows where you don't really think about how things work and instead focus more on the story and the ethical questions it poses. I mean when you get into how the androids are actually made, it's even weirder.

Since the hosts are completely artificial, I believed that the bullets felt like paintballs to humans, but the hosts are made of some sort of material that reacts differently to the bullets, causing them to be more lethal. Same goes for blades and such. However, this theory sort of doesn't work in the 2nd season.

I agree it's an important point that they miss out on, but as said above, it's more about the story.

I watched Westworld with my friend and after every episode we would discuss what was happening and how the "timelines" connected. I find it helps a lot bouncing ideas off of people to try and piece together all the clues the show gives

Since the hosts are completely artificial, I believed that the bullets felt like paintballs to humans, but the hosts are made of some sort of material that reacts differently to the bullets, causing them to be more lethal.

2c2da7b2-6052-463e-aa00-3ede19e7913f_text.gif

Seems like they can't be all that different from humans in terms of material given the other... uh... activities... they engage in.

2c2da7b2-6052-463e-aa00-3ede19e7913f_text.gif

Seems like they can't be all that different from humans in terms of material given the other... uh... activities... they engage in.
At this point I would sadly have to pull the "this is the future" card. I don't think there's any other realistic way to explain it

I watched Westworld with my friend and after every episode we would discuss what was happening and how the "timelines" connected. I find it helps a lot bouncing ideas off of people to try and piece together all the clues the show gives

I think doing this (albeit on the Reddit sub..) made it even worse lol. I started reading theory's about this and that, things I'd never even thought of and just got more confused.

I think doing this (albeit on the Reddit sub..) made it even worse lol. I started reading theory's about this and that, things I'd never even thought of and just got more confused.
I recently discovered a Youtube channel that does really good recaps of each episode that makes things much clearer I think.
Here's a playlist for season 2

Excited!!!

Only two episodes left for this season which has been incredible.

I watched this season 1 and 2 recap after starting the 1st episode of this season:

Definitely enjoyed this season. I like how they continued Jessie's story from Breaking Bad into West World.

Back