HD not as Hd as expected

  • Thread starter Thread starter mattep2
  • 41 comments
  • 4,214 views
Messages
8
Messages
mt1487
Hello,

I have a 19" Samsung HD tv and GT5:P really doesn't seem to be as good as I thought when it comes to graphics. The cars seem to have a white line at times around the bottom of the doors, boot and rear lights and the barriers etc at tracks seem to flicker. This is both when playing the game and on the menu screens.

I don't know if this is just me expecting too much from HD or if theres a setting I need to change, even thought i've tried everything!

I'm using a this tv http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=758234&category_oid=

I've got my PS3 set to 1080p and a HD cable obviously. Ill try and get some pictures of what i mean if i can.

Any help appreciated!
Matt
 
I didn't know they made TVs as small as 19". Are you sure it's not a computer screen? Buy a 37"+ 1080p LCD screen and you'll probably see the difference. They're not that expensive anymore. The graphical errors must be a local problem. Is your ps3 overheating? It tends to get very hot, but I've placed it on a seperate shelf in my tv bench so it gets lots of free room around it, and it works fine.
 
I can't see it on the website, I doubt it's able to process a 1080p signal properly if it's that small and at that price. Try setting it at 1080i or 720p to see if it's any better.
 
I've got 26" HD, which works perfectly. 19" should be the same. Perhaps you've got lots of lights on which are reflection on the screen?
 
i think 720p would look better on that screen!
 
Hello,

I have a 19" Samsung HD tv and GT5:P really doesn't seem to be as good as I thought when it comes to graphics. The cars seem to have a white line at times around the bottom of the doors, boot and rear lights and the barriers etc at tracks seem to flicker. This is both when playing the game and on the menu screens.

I don't know if this is just me expecting too much from HD or if theres a setting I need to change, even thought i've tried everything!

I'm using a this tv http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=758234&category_oid=

I've got my PS3 set to 1080p and a HD cable obviously. Ill try and get some pictures of what i mean if i can.

Any help appreciated!
Matt

white line: the sharpness level is set too high. Normally LCD TVs are shipped with too high levels. That's why the cars get white lines. Reduce the contrast and sharpness level till you loose those lines. If it's still there then your TV is broken (issue with contrast and so on)
flicker: the game has got a perfect texture filtering. There is no flickering at all, only some very light issues with cut lines and thin details on cars.
Your TV IS NOT supporting 1080p at all!!! Disable 1080p in your PS3 menu quickly. This setup may cause that the game downscales the resolution to a lower resolution, obviously below 720p (I suppose that you have disabled 720p and enabled 1080p). A heavely downscaled resolution is causing flickering, of course!
It seems that you are not playing in HD but rather in standard SD format.
I advice, get a 32' or 37' with 720p or a 42' with 1080p but only if you have more then 2 and half meters distance to it!
 
G.T
I can't see it on the website, I doubt it's able to process a 1080p signal properly if it's that small and at that price. Try setting it at 1080i or 720p to see if it's any better.

Sorry it meant 1080i, that's what its set to. I've tried 720p and its no better at that, if anything alot worse.

Its not light reflecting on the screen either, I think it my be that my HD cables not the best of quality or a setting on my TV. I turned down the brightness,contrast etc and that's improved in but its still not like HD. Everything looks awesome apart from the edges of the cars doors etc and the barriers on the track.
 
this one falls straight into my neck of the woods as far as professions go.
you will find that the screen size that you have will NOT show a 1080 picture and when sold would have said HD ready on the box. All HD ready means is that it has an HDMI socket on the back and will accept a high def signal but it does not mean anything about the resolution that the image will be shown in. an example of this is you can buy CRT tv sets that have an hdmi socket on but the resolution of these is lower than the lowest HD res. trade price of a true HD set would be about £950 for a good one so if you spend under a grand on a set i am willing ot bet it is not true HD. Have a look in the spec of the tv in ther back of the manual and then change the PS3 setting to best match this. No point converting and sending out a pictue in 1080 if the set is only going to kick ity back down to 540.
 
white line: the sharpness level is set too high. Normally LCD TVs are shipped with too high levels. That's why the cars get white lines. Reduce the contrast and sharpness level till you loose those lines. If it's still there then your TV is broken (issue with contrast and so on)
flicker: the game has got a perfect texture filtering. There is no flickering at all, only some very light issues with cut lines and thin details on cars.
Your TV IS NOT supporting 1080p at all!!! Disable 1080p in your PS3 menu quickly. This setup may cause that the game downscales the resolution to a lower resolution, obviously below 720p (I suppose that you have disabled 720p and enabled 1080p). A heavely downscaled resolution is causing flickering, of course!
It seems that you are not playing in HD but rather in standard SD format.
I advice, get a 32' or 37' with 720p or a 42' with 1080p but only if you have more then 2 and half meters distance to it!

Cheers for that, ill try what you say! I was running at 1080p its 1080i which is what the PS3 set itself to, 720p is worse and just a no go! I'd get a bigger TV if i could afford it and had a bigger room!! Its not causing any problems i just want the picture quality to be as good as possible.
 
Ok then ill try everything people are saying, cheers for your help! Although your making me want to ge the credit card out and buy a massive TV now!!!
 
HD ready with iDTV encased in a beautifully designed small screen

Resolution : 1440 x 900


a nice high res that i am sure would look lovely on that size screen. when you have it set on 1080 you are losing about 13% of the res on that screen but is still better than 720.
 
So there's not alot i can do then to make it any better? I've tried reducing the contract etc more but it makes no difference. Guess ill just have to live with it :(
 
or go and buy that tv you were alking about with the crdit card. you give me a budget and i will find you a true hd tv and you will be blown away by what gt looks like in TRUE HD
 
With a 19" I doubt it matters whether you're using 720 or 1080, unless you're watching the screen from 2" away.
 
I don't know if you've tried it already but since it's quite clear that your TV isn't really capable of outputting anything in 1080p/i you should make sure that your PS3s display output settings are manually set to look something like this:

1080p - blank
1080i - blank
720p - checked

Just to be certain that your ps3 is only producing a 720p signal. In fact, it should do that automatically anyway if you tell it to auto-select those settings. Good luck anyway, hopefully you will get it running smoothly cos i can guarantee it will amaze you when you can see the level of detail that has been crammed into this game even though its still in development!
 
Common name for the problem is jaggies methinks...Something to do with aliasing (or lack there off) in the game...

I suffer the same on my 42" Panasonic Plasma, it's only a HD ready TV so 720P is my max resolution, tried messing about with the setup and have improved things a little but not a lot :(

I usually only notice them when I watch back a replay, or let the game go into demonstration mode. They don't stop me enjoying a great game though :)
 
Yep, I have the same graphical imperfections on the cars body.

It only happens with certain car colours, I hope they fix it with a patch.
 
What you lads are on about really has nothing to do with high definition.

HD is basically a high resolution, you guys are more of less talking about texture/blending issues.

From Wiki..

"High-definition (HD) video generally refers to any video system of higher resolution than standard-definition (SD) video, most commonly at display resolutions of 1280×720 (720p) or 1920×1080 (1080i or 1080p)."
 
Thanks for the replies people, and it shows i'm not the only person who has the problem etc and its not down to the size of my TV as graveltrap has shown. Ill live with it for now and hope something comes along to improve it somehow!
 
720p is technically a higher resolution than 1080i, as with 1080i only half of the screen is drawn 1 second and the other the next second, where as 720p is all drawn at once.
 
720p is technically a higher resolution than 1080i, as with 1080i only half of the screen is drawn 1 second and the other the next second, where as 720p is all drawn at once.

1280*720=921600
1920*1080=2073600
(1920*1080)/2=1036800

Nope.
 
Sorry it meant 1080i, that's what its set to. I've tried 720p and its no better at that, if anything alot worse.

Its not light reflecting on the screen either, I think it my be that my HD cables not the best of quality or a setting on my TV. I turned down the brightness,contrast etc and that's improved in but its still not like HD. Everything looks awesome apart from the edges of the cars doors etc and the barriers on the track.

I have exactly the same problem as you!!

I described it here somewhere in another thread, i think it could be the HDMI cable i use...

I'm going to try it at a friend house who has a golden Sony HDMI cable, a "very good one" (he sais).
 
The problem with the game has nothing to do with your cable. The problem lies with the game's native resolution; 1440x1080. Either way, if you are using 1080p or 720p the game has to be scaled and it causes the artifacts that you lot are witnessing. I am playing the game at 720p and the edge aliasing is quite severe...but there is nothing that can be done to sort it.

People think HD will solve all issues and make the games look "perfect". It is so not the case.
 
1280*720=921600
1920*1080=2073600
(1920*1080)/2=1036800

Nope.


I think he ment that (p)rogressive is always better than (i)nterlaced and should be prefered. however (i) is sometimes suitable with some sports game.
 
I think he ment that (p)rogressive is always better than (i)nterlaced and should be prefered. however (i) is sometimes suitable with some sports game.

Actually I'd say exactly the opposite, 720p is far better for sports than 1080i. For movies yes, 1080i is often better because of the slower movement and additional picture information.
 
I think I know what's your problems with the screen.
Your screen is neither 720P nor 1080i / p. It's somewhere in the middle between those.
When you are setting the PS3 to either 720 or 1080 then your screen is doing upscale or downscale respectively.
Now the problem with cheap screens is that they are doing "cheep" scaling (usually - what you pay is what you get) and those lines are the result of the screen scaling.
Try to do the following (in the following order):
1) set the PS3 is 720 and see if you have an option in the screen menu kind of "no-scale" mode. If yes - set it to that mode and see if you still have those lines. I would think that it will fix it (if you have this mode)
2) set the PS3 into 480i - of course it's even lower resolution, but it will give you a hint about the problem.
3) If you have a component input (not shown in the site you sent) and a component cable - try and see if that improve the problem (due to more smoothness)

And let us know the results... Good luck
 
I had a component cable before which was doing the same thing so thats why I switched to HD. I've tried all of the suggestions but none have got rid of it completely, and there's hardly any difference between having it set at 720 or 1080. I can live with it any way I just wanted to know if there was a way of getting rid of it.

Thanks for your help :)
 
Also its fine on all of my other games, Colin McRae,COD4,Uncharted etc just this one which is quite annoying as its my favourite!!!
 
Actually I'd say exactly the opposite, 720p is far better for sports than 1080i. For movies yes, 1080i is often better because of the slower movement and additional picture information.

hmm I said so beacuse some of my friends have told me that they are playing well fifa or pes with 1080i settings. of course they may be wrong
 
Size of screen does mather for full HD pleasure, below 32"you will never see the real deal.
 
Back