HDTV for GT4

  • Thread starter Thread starter maxi
  • 218 comments
  • 25,939 views
placebo
I thought it was an lcd. lcds sometimes have a problem with the jaggies you are describing. have you calibrated the set?

it is an LCD, its an LCD HDTV, a combo deal.

Have I "calibrated" it?

Ive adjusted brightness, contrast, and crap like that.
 
there are technicians out there that will calibrate the set to ensure best performance. you would have to get a hold of one locally.

also what is the resolution on the lcdtv? if the resolution is not 1080i(1920x1080) and the tv has a cheap up/down scaler/converter then this could case jaggies, too.
 
placebo
there are technicians out there that will calibrate the set to ensure best performance. you would have to get a hold of one locally.

also what is the resolution on the lcdtv? if the resolution is not 1080i(1920x1080) and the tv has a cheap up/down scaler/converter then this could case jaggies, too.

Yea it supports true 1080i, (1920x1080) resolution as it states on the manufacuters site....im not taking this thing to a local technician..thats just too much...Ill rather not bother. It shouldnt need all that, and I doubt a technician would bring about some magic to make it the way I want it.

maybe the darned thing just isnt a true HDTV, i mean in the official name of the item, its not called an HDTV, so its prob just a cheaper combo deal that has the ABILITY to show higher HDTV stuff, but it dosent fit the definition of a true HDTV..

I was hoping for graphics as sharp as these screen shots..
http://www.firingsquad.com/media/article_image.asp?fs_article_id=1610&pic_id=30
 
just supporting the resolution does not mean its the native resolution of the display. do you know the native resolution of the set? im leaning towards it being an up/down scaling conversion issue with the jaggies. i can tell you 1st hand on my crt hdtv the jaggies are hardly visible.
 
placebo
just supporting the resolution does not mean its the native resolution of the display. do you know the native resolution of the set? im leaning towards it being an up/down scaling conversion issue with the jaggies. i can tell you 1st hand on my crt hdtv the jaggies are hardly visible.


yea i didnt say 1920x1080 was the native res, but that it supports a 1080i HDTV signal. The native res of the set is 1280x720.

...or were you trying to point out that I shouldnt expect it to be sharp because it needs to have a native res of 1920x1080 to show true 1080i at its full "sharpness"?

if thats true then it all makes sense now...

something like this then...but not that big.. http://www.lcdtvs.com/lcd/Product.asp_X_Sku_Y_HLR5078W_Z_ptype_Y_splcd25363_Z_whi_Y__Z_whi_main_Y_
 
the resolution being off shouldnt cause jaggies that bad though...you have gt4 set on widescreen right? since you dont want to have it calibrated then i think youll just have to live with the jaggies. maybe try switching cables?
 
is there no auto calibrarte settings for component ?

it might be the cable. 1i used the very cheap component cables off ebay and it was terrible

monster cables altho expensive gave me better picture.
 
Yaka
is there no auto calibrarte settings for component ?

it might be the cable. 1i used the very cheap component cables off ebay and it was terrible

monster cables altho expensive gave me better picture.

ok yea ill ditch these cheapo off brand cables and get the monster or sony official PS2 component cables. Since it worked for you I should at least see some improvement.
 
Go with the oem sony cables. monster is overrated.
 
placebo

but....I just read a review of someone who compared the monster and sony component PS2 cables:

(a part of it)

"i compared them with my friends ps2 using the same tv and using monster component cables and the normal ones that sony makes. the picture is MUCH better with the monster cables than the sony ones."
------------------------------------------------

so...me being the quality poweruser I am....I have to go for the monster cables for my sanitys sake...I want the best friggin image possible
 
its your cash. i have nothing against monster, i have a bunch of their cables and they are sweet. go for it and post some pics before and after.
 
You haven`t seen the PS2/GT4-graphics until you`ve seen it on a Toshiba 3337DG or some other top-of-the-line digital Toshiba. I`ve shurely shutted the mouth of a few PS2/GT3/4-criticks by showing the games on my 33" digital Toshiba :cool:
 
hope you get this all worked out. (then we can try to network our ps2's to play each other surealbx)
 
PaleRider
You haven`t seen the PS2/GT4-graphics until you`ve seen it on a Toshiba 3337DG or some other top-of-the-line digital Toshiba. I`ve shurely shutted the mouth of a few PS2/GT3/4-criticks by showing the games on my 33" digital Toshiba :cool:

i googled the model you gave and nothing showed up.

is it a crt or lcd?
 
Does the VGA Transcoder sell in any stores?

IE: Best Buy, Circuit City, etc...
 
Chris Criswell
Does the VGA Transcoder sell in any stores?

IE: Best Buy, Circuit City, etc...

havent seen one in my local bb and cc, try radioshack? just buy it online, its cheaper.
 
I went ahead and snagged the HD cable for my DPL (digital light projector), and there is definitely a difference between normal (480i), and 1080i. 480p also looks nicer than 480i, but not as nice as 1080i. Where you see the difference the most is in the scenery. Tooling around the tracks, I noticed a lot of detail I had missed before. My cables were about $40.00, plus the component cable for the PS2. I bought the Sony cable for $25. So, including tax, shipping, etc, I was just over $70 for this. I guess it was worth it. I wouldn't spend too much on the whole HD thing though, because the difference, while nice, isn't enough to justify spending too much on it.

Also, much to my dismay, and like so many other great features, HD output simply doesn't work at all in Two Player Battle Mode (TPBM). The one place I was really hoping it would work, because all of us have a harder time seeing the courses in TPBM. I thought the extra resolution might help. Neither 480p nor 1080i works in TPBM. So disappointing!
 
Help, please.
I have a new 42" Sony Grand Wega LCD Projection HDTV monitor. The HD inputs on the back read: Y Pb Pr. My PS2 manual states: "This product is compatible for use with component video inputs (Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr), but cannot be used with inputs in HDTV format (Y Pb Pr)."
When I hook up the Monster HD component cables and set the GT4 options to 1080i the picture gets a little better, the GT4 cars look much nicer, but the rest is still pretty ragged and in low resolution. It's almost as if I'm getting a little touch of HD on the cars but not much else. To run GT4 in HD on my TV will I have to wait for the PS3 in the hope it will work with the HD inputs on the back of my TV? Or is there some sort of magic switch box that will allow the PS2 to work with a TV that has the HD inputs Y Pb Pr? Or am I missing something really obvious? Thanks a lot.
 
wolfhound
Help, please.
I have a new 42" Sony Grand Wega LCD Projection HDTV monitor. The HD inputs on the back read: Y Pb Pr. My PS2 manual states: "This product is compatible for use with component video inputs (Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr), but cannot be used with inputs in HDTV format (Y Pb Pr)."
When I hook up the Monster HD component cables and set the GT4 options to 1080i the picture gets a little better, the GT4 cars look much nicer, but the rest is still pretty ragged and in low resolution. It's almost as if I'm getting a little touch of HD on the cars but not much else. To run GT4 in HD on my TV will I have to wait for the PS3 in the hope it will work with the HD inputs on the back of my TV? Or is there some sort of magic switch box that will allow the PS2 to work with a TV that has the HD inputs Y Pb Pr? Or am I missing something really obvious? Thanks a lot.


Did you change the setting on the TV itself? I think you have to change some sort of video format, IE: "Standard", "Widescreen", "4:3", "16:9". Maybe that could make some difference? Also change some settings in the PS2 "Dashboard", just change some stuff around and see what you can get.
 
Hihi
I just bought a HDTV LCD. Native res is 1280x720 I think.
Anywho I set the PS2 to use Y CB/PB CR/PR whatever it is.
But I can't see any options to set GT4 to 1080i or 480p.
I have the AUS version of GT4.
Can anyone help? Dying to see this thing in hi res mode.
 
And yes, I am using Component cables (3 plugs, red green blue).
 
ok i got the monster component cables for the ps2, they cost me $60 + shipping on newegg.com ......they improved the audio a tad, but maybe thats just my brain messing with me...its hard to tell...also they didnt improve the jaggies in GT4 vs the cheapo 3rd party component cables AT ALL....


....needless to say these $60 monster cables are going straight back to newegg for "not performing as stated".

what a dissapointment..well..now i can rest easy knowing these 3rd party cables are as good as it gets. :banghead: :banghead:
 
Sorry for sounded retarded, but my knowledge on HD TV's isn't good at all. I have a Phillips LCD HD TV, and at the back of it, I can only see 2 slots for plugging scart leads, and a slot very similar to the one on the back of my PC for VGA connection. Am I missing something here?

If I didn't explain myself properly, I'll take a pic later and show it to someone who can tell me if I can use my PS2 in HD TV mode or not.

Cheers.
 
nigs
Hihi
I just bought a HDTV LCD. Native res is 1280x720 I think.
Anywho I set the PS2 to use Y CB/PB CR/PR whatever it is.
But I can't see any options to set GT4 to 1080i or 480p.
I have the AUS version of GT4.
Can anyone help? Dying to see this thing in hi res mode.

think its only the usa ver and Japanese version that does 1080i
 
Yup, Australia is PAL territory, only the NTSC versions of GT4 offer 480p and 1080i.

Regards
the Interceptor
 
the Interceptor
Yup, Australia is PAL territory, only the NTSC versions of GT4 offer 480p and 1080i.

Regards
the Interceptor


But if we imported the game, could we play it in HD TV mode then?
 
Yes, but only if your PS2 can play imports.

Regards
the Interceptor
 
Yeah, I can play imports, but I use swap magic disks to do so, will that work?
 
Back