HDTV for GT4

  • Thread starter Thread starter maxi
  • 218 comments
  • 25,938 views
LOL! Sorry, I thought you were actually talking about playing videogames on TV's...silly me.

About computer monitors...back in the day (early 90's), they were interlaced. If you can find an old VGA monitor (pre-SuperVGA), they were interlaced and should be able to accept a 480i signal. Your local "Mom and Pop" computer shop may even have one for you.

I may be a newb to this site, but I'm gettin old in life, so I know about this old computer crap. When I was younger, I had a monitor that could do 16 colors. I was hotdog in town cause everyone else only had four colors. (Black, White, Magenta, and Cyan) You should've been there with 5.25" "floppy" disks came out!! Whew!
 
Lapdog
No monitor supports 480i.

You should be OK if you get a Sony PlayStation 2 AV Adaptor and run the composite or S-Video connections out to a PSone LCD screen or TV or whatever, and plug your component cable into the Sony-type AV out and then off to your monitor.

Alternatively you can get a Redant VGA adaptor and use the Sony-type AV out to loop your component-to-VGA connection and flick the bypass switch to go from 480i to 480p or 1080i.


:lol: My 19 Inch Xerox Supports 480i YES 480i, its like 5 or 6 months old. played GT4 on it just fine, It wouldnt do 1080i (out of scan range) but did 480p also like a charm, It switches in and out from 480p to 480i just like it should.


I also know some Viewsonics that do 480i, LOL computer monitors do them, not all of them do though, its more of a luck issue then.

But whoever told you Computer Monitors cant do 480i thats just rediculous.



Oh and to edit:
My VD-Z3 works just like it should on my monitor (I went out and purchased an HDTV though so it doesnt get alot of use) but i've used it for My XBox, Gamecube, and PS2. Some computer Monitors DO 480i.
 
Neurotik18
About computer monitors...back in the day (early 90's), they were interlaced. If you can find an old VGA monitor (pre-SuperVGA), they were interlaced and should be able to accept a 480i signal. Your local "Mom and Pop" computer shop may even have one for you.
I know, I had an Amiga 500 and such a Monitor as well, and I know you can get them for like no money on eBay. The thing is that they are very very old, which means they are absolutely tiny and don't work very well anymore. For me, it's not an option.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
anyone happen to know where the monster component cables can be purchased from in the uk?
 
i would say getting a vidigi box and component leads would give better results
 
Note that when using the vdigi, you must have a monitor that can handle 480i - 99% can't!

EDIT:
I just read in the vdigi forum that the current version of this converter doesn't support 480i anymore. So even if you'd have a monitor that can handle 480i, you'd get no picture at all.
If you still want to go for one of thse, try to get your hands on an older version of the vdigi, or get this one, it is about the same device.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
btw can some one show us the difference in quality you get in each mode on GT4 ? would be usefull
 
480p on my dell 2405 widscreen monitor

gt4480psmall.jpg



1080i on same monitor, in game when driving 1080i defo looks better
gt41080ismall.jpg
 
yeah look a b it nicer, thanks a lot, but i swear i'll never be able to get that quality even if i buy a hdtv (i must change my old 20 years old tv) PAL gt4 doesn't even got a 480p or 1080i option :(
 
durandal2
yeah look a b it nicer, thanks a lot, but i swear i'll never be able to get that quality even if i buy a hdtv (i must change my old 20 years old tv) PAL gt4 doesn't even got a 480p or 1080i option :(


Can someone give mea screenshot of the menu's where you change these options? I have PAL GT4 and i'd kill for 1080i output... as currently going to my FP2405 via S-VHS is very ugly... but icant for the life of me find any option to change output modes. Unles i *need* the component adaptor before it'll show up the option?

I'd like to confirm if its their or not BEFORE i splash out and buy a component output for my PS2 (and have nothing even utilise it).

Cheers,
 
HoffY
Can someone give mea screenshot of the menu's where you change these options? I have PAL GT4 and i'd kill for 1080i output... as currently going to my FP2405 via S-VHS is very ugly... but icant for the life of me find any option to change output modes. Unles i *need* the component adaptor before it'll show up the option?

I'd like to confirm if its their or not BEFORE i splash out and buy a component output for my PS2 (and have nothing even utilise it).

Cheers,

like hoffy, im having trouble finding this option in the game as well...... any help would be great.
 
Syntax error
like hoffy, im having trouble finding this option in the game as well...... any help would be great.

let me guess: us and Japanese version got this option just under the 4:3 / 16:9 option in the screen option in the option widow
 
durandal2
let me guess: us and Japanese version got this option just under the 4:3 / 16:9 option in the screen option in the option widow

btw by looking on google images i got some screen to compare better the difference:

480p_versus_1080i.jpg



480p_versus_1080i_2.jpg



and now it's time for me to lie in my bed and leave me dying slowly for never been able to get that quality because PAL version :sick:
 
durandal2
btw by looking on google images i got some screen to compare better the difference:

http://media.gamesmediamirror.com/misc/gt4/480p_versus_1080i.jpg
http://media.gamesmediamirror.com/misc/gt4/480p_versus_1080i_2.jpg


and now it's time for me to lie in my bed and leave me dying slowly for never been able to get that quality because PAL version :sick:

as i said what i found on a gaming-age review:

"Under the options menu, in screen options you can specify either a 4:3 or a 16:9 aspect ratio and you can specify normal, 480p or 1080i screen resolutions. The difference between 480p and 1080i is unfortunately only slightly noticeable, but the difference between either of those and 480i is quite dramatic. Depending on your television, the screen may flicker in between races because the menus are all in 480i. "
 
durandal2
as i said what i found on a gaming-age review:

"Under the options menu, in screen options you can specify either a 4:3 or a 16:9 aspect ratio and you can specify normal, 480p or 1080i screen resolutions. The difference between 480p and 1080i is unfortunately only slightly noticeable, but the difference between either of those and 480i is quite dramatic. Depending on your television, the screen may flicker in between races because the menus are all in 480i. "

there does not seem to be this option in my Australian (PAL) option menu... :grumpy:
 
My Australian PAL version definitely doesnt have this option anywhere. I know... i'm a high definition buff and i'd have spotted 1080 written in black nicko in the pitch black of night! lol But alas.. its no where to be found :(
 
to add something for ntsc users i'll show you what you see on a 50Hz 480i pal television (slow to download please wait):

GT4i.gif


it's closer to reality when you watch it at full speed
 
OK, I need to get this straight:

If I get a CRT monitor (not TV) that can handle 1920x1080 pixels or more , can I use a VD-Z3 to play GT4 in 1080i mode?

The monitor I have now only goes to 1280x1024, but would 720p work on it using the VD-Z3

I have an XGA box, which works ok using s-video, but if I can play GT4 in HD, then I might get a vd-z3
 
I have a 50" hitachi lcd tv, i just went out and bought my component cables last night, and hooked everything up the way it should be. Im not quite sure if i have everything setup correctly though, as the quality during a race is not that good. Things look pixelated, almost as if doing the HD was a step backwards. I check to make sure my ps2 was setup to teh Pb,Y,Pr or whatever that one setting was, and in-game for gt4 i set it to 1080i and 16:9. Is there anything else i can do to make this better? :indiff: The most noticable areas are the text during a race and in some cases the edges of cars look pixelated. I only really notice it in some races, because i tried using the Lancer EVO VIII, black, on grand canyon, and it was beautiful, so i really cant figure out why some things look pixelated, such as the bmw z4, blue, in New York City
 
What are the chances of me burning images on my Plasma screen. I intend to just race not do set on that screen.
 
So one of my suitemates just got a HDTV that supports 1080 and all and when we set the game for 1080, the graphics look really chunky and pixelated (especially on the back of the player's car from the chase cam) any suggestions on how to fix this?
 
nightkid86
So one of my suitemates just got a HDTV that supports 1080 and all and when we set the game for 1080, the graphics look really chunky and pixelated (especially on the back of the player's car from the chase cam) any suggestions on how to fix this?

whats the model # of the tv.
 
Yaka
what cable are you using?

im using the HDTV cables with my ps2, they are off brand though.

they have 2 speaker out cables, and three vid cables, red, green, blue. Im using the y Pb Pr ports on my HDTV - those are the only ports that will let HDTV 1080i work on GT4, the Cr Cb ports wont so i know im using the right ports. -or so i hope.
 
I thought it was an lcd. lcds sometimes have a problem with the jaggies you are describing. have you calibrated the set?
 
Back