Headlights flashing

• Thread starter beegentoo
  • 81 comments
I only flash under 2 conditions:
1) When someone overtakes questionably (read: dirty)
2) When I'm coming up behind someone who is no stopping and I'm on fresher tyres, as a request to let me by and save both of us precious seconds instead of battling pointlessly

Similarly with hazards, only 2 conditions:
1) When I'm going much slower than the person behind, to let them know that I will let them pass (usually in quali outlap when I'm saving tyres, or the inverse of situation above)
2) After someone lets me by (see situation above), as a thank you gesture

In top split lobbies, I've also seen drivers put on right/left blinkers to let people know which side they want them to pass on, and I've started doing this now. Helps immensely to cut down misunderstandings/crashes when switching lanes to let people by.

I have a friend I play who is really fast d pad guy uses default and it just happens when he’s really into it.
I tend to ignore it in Sport Mode due to misuse.

On many tracks in the US, for amateur "track days", it is flash to pass - as a request, and hazards and a wave to allow passing. These are not competitive races though, so in a competitive environment "flashing to pass" will probably just cause an opportunity to close up - like on the freeway when someone uses their blinker! :lol:

BTW, Some owners manuals refer to headlight flashing as the "optical horn"

Bring back the horn! But seriously, I only ever flash at the starting grid just so I can spot myself way back there in the midfield. :)
But what is the actual deal, is every flash in sport mode deliberate or does the game just put them out there randomly like the way it does in offline mode?

Bring back the horn! But seriously, I only ever flash at the starting grid just so I can spot myself way back there in the midfield. :)
But what is the actual deal, is every flash in sport mode deliberate or does the game just put them out there randomly like the way it does in offline mode?

I think you see cars flashing high beams because the default setting on the DS4 is that you press the steering (left) joystick to toggle hi/low beam.

IRL I flash my high beams to warn oncoming traffic of radar traps during daylight hours.

I remember that L3 was flash/on and flash/off. But L3 is so hard on my DS4 I have to concentrate if I have to push it (not in GTS but in other Games); I never accidentally pushed it.

I set the explicit flash to the triangle: easy to reach when needed/wanted.

IRL I flash my high beams to warn oncoming traffic of radar traps during daylight hours.
Same, also when there is an accident to alert the ongoing traffic.

In gts as I realized I was doing this accidentally, switched with l3, so i turn off on ghost and r3 for headlights - only use them when someone has done a bad move with a couple of flashes or a single flash and hazards for apology if there was a bad move on my side.

Use the headlight flashing to let them know I'm not very happy. Use the hazard lights to say sorry or thank you if say I performed a dangerous overtake, I would blink the hazard lights to say sorry. Or if someone lets me pass I do the same but it means thank you.

They aren't very bright so I only notice it if I actually look in the rear view mirror. Doesn't bother me if I don't notice it and it isn't going to distract me. If anything, they're more likely to be distracted in trying to keep the flashing going...

I never do it. I drive with the roof camera ( like a lot of people when I look at YT...) so I don’t see anyone flashing, too, since there’s no rear view mirror...

Well, I do it on the grid once to say Hello to the other drivers, though.

This is actually illegal here in California (shocker...)

I mean, the odds of you getting caught doing it are astronomical. But every man for himself is my attitude.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was illegal in many other states too.

"Oh, sorry officer, I was trying to clean my windshield with the washers, as I dont drive this car often I didnt realize that I was flashing my hi-beams"

I flash headlights in Qualy. Mostly, I see players using the hazard lights for a few communications. Distraction, thanking for not hitting them, thanking for letting them pass and, lately, warning that they are fuel saving.

Back