Headlights flashing

• Thread starter beegentoo
  • 81 comments
I rarely (more like "never") flash my headlights since I don't see any practical use of it.

I sometimes see players flashing when they were confident to pass but I closed their desired lane.

And then there are these players who constantly flash their headlights. I imagine somebody resting his finger on the appropriate button all the time. Or maybe they have made some mechanical tuning to their controller/wheel.

(When) do you flash your headlights?

Some players are so stressed when cornering they actually press L3, which is stupidly assigned to flashing headlights. That’s why some players “constantly” flash theirs :lol:

Sometimes it's caused by short graphic draw distance from rear view mirror, at least then when driving lights are on & when the following driver is at certain range... It's distracting.

Might be in GTS it's sometimes people inadvertently pressing L3 as someone said already, but if you watch real life GT racing, many drivers do it very often and in purpose, not only to alert lapped cars but also to put pressure on the driver they are trying to overtake.

For instance, have a look below at the Blancpain GT race two weeks ago, also tons of cases in last weekend's European LeMans series.

I changed the light flashers to a different button, I could probably change the blinkers and hazards as well but, so it doesn't flash randomly around turns and it's easier to stay in control not pushing down on the stick I use to steer.
I use the whole car view, so I can tell if the rear end is about to slide out, so I don't get the rearview mirror. I do check behind when I can just to be considerate of any faster drivers.
But with that being said, I've stopped actively flashing to pass when I noticed the person in front would try to block me more than just letting me go around. I'm not expecting someone to move out of my way, I just wanted them to not run into me, or intentionally ram me off track.
I've yet to use blinkers, which is why I've not remapped them, but that may have more to do with only doing the dailys and not rolling with a more serious group.

I assigned mine to the right part of the touchpad. And I think that the feature is almost useless with the rear-view mirror only being in bumper-cam, and maybe cockpit view. I really do prefer hood cam. But I'd imagine it's a rendering thing, so hopefully I'll be able to have a rearview mirror while using the hood camera in the next title.

I use it like above when people significantly slower are trying to block my line
Your line?

tenor.gif

Sorry, one just isn't enough...

tenor.gif

The arrogance. If you're behind me, and its for position, then as long as it doesn't compromise my race then you're staying behind me as long as humanly possible. If you think anything is reserved just for you maybe think more about hotels or your parking spaces / drive way as a hobby?

tell you to get out of the way. Those I will not give an inch more room than needed and they get the defensive treatment.

Some people see it as intimidation and/or distraction tactics, I see it and just think "knob" and then proceed, like you, to do everything (within the realms of sportsmanship) to keep them behind me.

1) When I'm going much slower than the person behind, to let them know that I will let them pass

How, pray tell, does someone behind you see your headlights?!? If someone behind you can see your headlights chances are you're facing the wrong way and they already know they can pass you without you flashing your headlights :lol:

Your line?

View attachment 838016

View attachment 838016

The arrogance. If you're behind me, and its for position, then as long as it doesn't compromise my race then you're staying behind me as long as humanly possible. If you think anything is reserved just for you maybe think more about hotels or your parking spaces / drive way as a hobby?

Some people see it as intimidation and/or distraction tactics, I see it and just think "knob" and then proceed, like you, to do everything (within the realms of sportsmanship) to keep them behind me.

How, pray tell, does someone behind you see your headlights?!? If someone behind you can see your headlights chances are you're facing the wrong way and they already know they can pass you without you flashing your headlights :lol:
Your line?

View attachment 838016

View attachment 838016

That is info I or probably anyone else doesnt really care much about.:):)

That is info I or probably anyone else doesnt really care much about.:):)
Thanks for your "constructive" input to the forum, pal, but who died and made you grand arbiter of what (probably) everyone else cares about?

JFC, its exactly that kind of crappy attitude that stops me from posting to this site very often; 9 times out of 10 I'll end up ditching a reply because I know clowns are gonna clown.

Funny thing is I don't really see it in other sections of the site (even the Forza section!) it just seems to be the GT section where some members are so far up themselves its difficult to tell where they begin and end. Some of the trolling and clique-y BS that goes on in this section is shameful; its like being back in high school. Its no wonder PD doesn't have an open line of communication and community interaction like other developers do!

The arrogance. If you're behind me, and its for position, then as long as it doesn't compromise my race then you're staying behind me as long as humanly possible.

If? Ah so you just assumed a situation where it would be arrogant so you could launch into an attack. So what about someone leaving the pits as you come down the straight starting a hot lap and on their out lap they swerve across you into T1?

Besides, if I am behind someone flashing and not punting them off, then obviously I wasn't quite so arrogant to assume the line was fully clear to begin with.

on motorway when someone is doing 50 in inner lane when its safe for them to be in middle lane and they refuse to move over because they are busy on their phone

Read my post again. I flash my taillight hazards to let faster people by, not headlights.

Most people (real racers) will use it as a means to distract the driver ahead, if they're looking behind they're not focused infront. I use that tactic if I feel it will unsettle the driver ahead and there's times where it works and sometimes it works too well (had a German guy lose his cool on the mic and went awf). So there's merit and honestly, it's not causing a collision so I don't see an issue with it.

Still use it when overtake slower cars or when feel about to screw up any time soon. Anyway it's a good habit and will help me when multiclass racing suddenly appear in GT sport.

So naive I am.

Last night I had a car in my radar in race B, looked in the mirror he was constantly flashing for the last third of the lap. It made me go defensive, nothing else.

I tend to flash a driver as they pass to let them know they are clear and use hazards to say sorry. If someone does something dubious I will repeatedly flash for a short while to display my discontent. Flashing of headlights IRL, according to the UK Highway Code, means I am here.

Last edited:
I tend to flash a driver as they pass to let them know they wear clear
I would be careful with this one, if somebody is flashing their lights after an overtake I would normally interpret it as them being angry with the pass.

I would be careful with this one, if somebody is flashing their lights after an overtake I would normally interpret it as them being angry with the pass.
Maybe they're just trying to let you know that you should be careful next time, especially if after that overtake seems to be dangerous.

Back