Helicron No. 1 1932

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 20 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg
Starlight Garage presents the Helicron car, a historic one-of-a-kind car built after the WWI which is made of aircraft remaining parts and, therefore, is driven by a enormous propeller!
Enjoy!

687atj.jpg

In the 1900s, France spent a significant amount of money on airplane development ($22 million compared to one-half million by the Ú.S.) Believing propeller power was the most efficient means of moving a vehicle, entrepreneurs built propeller-powered cars.

This car was built in France in 1932. Following the First World War it was not uncommon for recently displaced airplane engines to look towards the burgeoning automobile industry for more lucrative employment. As in this example, a few entrepreneurs developed propeller-powered cars wîth the notion that a propeller was an efficient means of moving a vehicle.

This one-of-a-kind Helicron was discovered in 2000 in a barn where it had been placed by the original owners in the late 1930s. The Rosengart chassis, suspension, and brakes are original although the builder turned the frame around 180 degrees to allow the rear wheel to steer. This meant significant modifications needed to be made to the chassis. After discovery, the Helicron was completely rebuilt using many of the original components. Únfortunately, the original motor is lost to time; in its place is a 1980s Citroen GS 4-cylinder motor that will propel this 1,000 pound vehicle to 75 mph. The original builder's plans to produce this car were never accomplished.

This car has been completely rebuilt but many of the mechanical components are original, including the frame, wire wheels, dashboard, steering wheel, steering gear, brake pedal, light switch, headlights, and the type plate.

The wood frame was sandblasted and treated, the steering gear was rebuilt, and the interior was upholstered. The car steers wîth the rear wheels and only those wheels have springs. It is currently equipped wîth a Citroen GS engine wîth the propeller coupled directly to the crankshaft.

This Helicron passed the French safety inspection in 2000 and is approved for use on the roads. When the wooden propeller is spinning at full rpm, this little 1,000-pound boat-tailed skiff can hit freeway speeds exceeding 75 mph. As you might expect, this is the one and only Helicron in existence.

Specifications
Country of Origin: France
Years of Production: 1932
Number Produced: 1
Engine: The original engine was lost but it is known to have been a horizontally opposed two cylinder four stroke.
Rebuilt Engine: 4 cylinder, air cooled Citroën GS engine
Engine Location: Front
Weight: 454 kg (1000 lbs)
Top Speed: 120.675 km/h (75 mph)

xfqctl.jpg

29bd61.jpg

8310917117_8d70196fce_n.jpg

OTHER VEHICLES ARE HERE

Last edited:
453,592 kg??? That's insane!!! I bet that car will take very long to turn.

I think its a type-o lol, because the heaviest car ever weighed less than 5,000kg...

But I'd love to see this car on GranTurismo. It's exactly the kind of oddball relic that PD adds. :D

453,592 kg??? That's insane!!! I bet that car will take very long to turn.
That is roughly equivalent to the weight of 17,000 people, or about 20 very large RV's. Quite how you could believe a lump of wood that size could weigh almost 500 tons is beyond me.

Dunno why some people back in the 30s thought this was a swell idea.....Voted only 'cuz it's made of wood and that propeller - imagine driving this thing in rain. Water spray onto your face must be......akin to being tortured in a medieval prison....

I voted. I never knew road planes existed. This & other propeller powered cars would make great editions to Gran Turismo.

Dunno why some people back in the 30s thought this was a swell idea.....Voted only 'cuz it's made of wood and that propeller - imagine driving this thing in rain. Water spray onto your face must be......akin to being tortured in a medieval prison....

Thanks for liking!
👍

I voted. I never knew road planes existed. This & other propeller powered cars would make great editions to Gran Turismo.

I think it will be a great addition to Gran Turismo.
:bowdown:

Just discovered another one member of the family...:lol:

Is this one the 'black sheep' of the family?
:D

Awesome car, there are two known units in the world. One of them in the city where I studied (Málaga, Spain). This car was found abandoned in 2000, and then it was restored

Back