Helmet view

  • Thread starter Thread starter lbsf1
  • 80 comments
  • 10,040 views
Messages
3,678
United Kingdom
Warwick Uni
Messages
lbsf1 GTP_lbsf1
Messages
obsmu (my brothers acount)
I don't think this has been mentioned before so.
Would you guys like in the game to have a helmet view where you have the outside of the helmet on the edge of the screen. And also for the view to bounce around and lean like a drivers head does when going round corners and over bumps on the track like kerbs.
I think that this would give a more realistic way to see the track on racing cars.
 
That view exists already.
 
+1 for this yes please.Also fixed cameras should suffer visual loss, if car is thrown around in an accident or get broken from a head on crash.
 
Yeah but you don't see the inside of the helmet.Plus you have the option of tinting the visor.
 
Last edited:
Yes, a more first person with lots of vibrations and that fuzzy thing when you crash. Too similar to interior view though :L
 
Yes, a more first person with lots of vibrations and that fuzzy thing when you crash.
Too SHIFTy - no thanks! :yuck: The "camera shake" trick is getting so old. 👎
 
I think, in a way, overly dynamic cockpits look arcadey.
 
I'll love the way it's done in Shift!
There's no obstruction of the helmet, but the hud looks as though it's fitted on the visor, so it's curved and moves about as your virtual head does!👍
I also like the blur/shake effects when you bump into someone or gain high speed(although this one is exaggerated) too. The cockpit view in GT is perhaps too sedate, and since maybe 0,0000000000001% of people have full-motion cockpits to shake and move them for real, it's nice to have this kind of bridge between reality and virtual world. Anyhow, the values for movement and blur, halved from those in Shift would be just fine I think.
[YOUTUBEhd]NAgyuJ2faX8[/YOUTUBEhd]
 
No i think he means when lines appear across the screen, if you leave the track.Also the fuzzy white screen, like when the tv hasn't got a signal.
 
No i think he means when lines appear across the screen, if you leave the track.Also the fuzzy white screen, like when the tv hasn't got a signal.

THAT is annoying.. its even annoying in Grand Prix Legends where it happens only if you crash severely.
 
GPL was made 12 years ago.So could make replays 100x more real now :).
 
Zero: cool montage, but that's like Shift with Parkinson's during an epileptic seizure! Way too much exaggerated!:p
 
The motion blur and camera shake in Shift is absolutely horrible. It's good to see it hasn't been implemented in GT5, at least from the various demos we have seen. GT has a realistic sense of speed too, it doesn't blur like hell when you go over 120mph, Fast & Furious style.

To be honest, if you want helmet cam, wear a helmet. Though to be fair all it would do is restrict your vision on screen, by cutting out a visor shaped hole in the screen if you will, with the rest just black. It wouldn't take much to implement. But seriously, it is not needed. Though with headtracking it could work, I think it would be a horrible feature without it, as with a helmet you need head movement to see your mirrors etc.
 
The reason I thought of this idea was because I was karting today and realised just how much your head is thrown around when you use the kerbs and go over bumps.
Even more than is shown on shift.
 
I don't think this has been mentioned before so.
Would you guys like in the game to have a helmet view where you have the outside of the helmet on the edge of the screen. And also for the view to bounce around and lean like a drivers head does when going round corners and over bumps on the track like kerbs.
I think that this would give a more realistic way to see the track on racing cars.

If it's realistic you're looking for, you would be better off using the already inhabited cockpit view. And actually wear a racing helmet:tup:

Oh and, kinda just "hump" around in your seat while your playing :lol:
And loud audio!
 
The motion blur and camera shake in Shift is absolutely horrible. It's good to see it hasn't been implemented in GT5, at least from the various demos we have seen. GT has a realistic sense of speed too, it doesn't blur like hell when you go over 120mph, Fast & Furious style.
It just blurs the cockpit, so you focus more on the road. Anyhow I think it's exaggerated, but pretty cool. I would like a more realistic version of those effectsin GT. btw. Latest GT5 builds have a small amount of movement unlike the early ones which had none(and are better for it).
To be honest, if you want helmet cam, wear a helmet. Though to be fair all it would do is restrict your vision on screen, by cutting out a visor shaped hole in the screen if you will, with the rest just black. It wouldn't take much to implement. But seriously, it is not needed. Though with headtracking it could work, I think it would be a horrible feature without it, as with a helmet you need head movement to see your mirrors etc.
To be honest, I don't want parts of helmet seen, but the curved hud on the visor thing is brilliant, and the effect would be even cooler/more apparent with head-tracking, as you'd look around the cockpit, and the hud would move with your virtual!👍
 
The reason I thought of this idea was because I was karting today and realised just how much your head is thrown around when you use the kerbs and go over bumps.
Even more than is shown on shift.

They're forces that can't really be represented, sat on your sofa (Or racing seat) playing a video game. Unless you have a really expensive setup with hydraulics and stuff, I don't know lol.

To have the screen move like that when your head remains still, can be very disorienting, and you can't really adapt to that like I would imagine you would when karting (I've only been karting twice, and didn't find it a problem. Like I said, you adjust to it naturally. But if it's on-screen you can't).
 
I also like the blur/shake effects when you bump into someone or gain high speed(although this one is exaggerated) too. The cockpit view in GT is perhaps too sedate, and since maybe 0,0000000000001% of people have full-motion cockpits to shake and move them for real, it's nice to have this kind of bridge between reality and virtual world.
A sense of speed is one thing, blurring and shaking the view until you can't see **** is another IMO. ;)
 
I don't know if you guys get really what I mean. When you racevwhatever you try to do to stop hit your head bounces around loads. I want the on screen view to bounce around like that. Even if it was an option that you could turn off and on.
Abit like this.


Can't get youtube link to work so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-6KJGoK7_s&feature=related
 
Last edited:
A sense of speed is one thing, blurring and shaking the view until you can't see **** is another IMO. ;)

I agree. But I feel GT has the best sense of speed of any driving game on console, because it is not exaggerated. When you are watching the road ahead, as long as things in the background are moving in relation to your speed, you will get that sense of speed with your eyes adjusting to the narrow road ahead. So all these after effects added by NFS, Burnout and even to some extent Forza (Though in this title it's bearable), just make it far worse and less realistic.

Your sig
Insert supposedly witty comment from Jeremy Clarkson here.

lol ^_^

I don't know if you guys get really what I mean. When you racevwhatever you try to do to stop hit your head bounces around loads. I want the on screen view to bounce around like that. Even if it was an option that you could turn off and on.

I understand what you mean. But I don't want my screen bouncing around infront of my eyes unless there is something that is making my head bounce around in unison with it. Something like this:

 
/\ I want one of those. :)

That is why it should be an option you can turn off. I would prefer the screen wobble however you wouldn't everyone is allowed an oppinion.
 
/\ I want one of those. :)

That is why it should be an option you can turn off. I would prefer the screen wobble however you wouldn't everyone is allowed an oppinion.

Yep 👍
 
i think helmet view is very easy to make
in rf you can get a 1-2mb update for it (it was converted from GTR Evo)
than you have to put the car vibration on the helmet and its finish

i think i dont understood you ,i think a member said in the 2nd post that helmet view exist ,really?
 
Has anyone made this camera view for ps3 though.
Answer: No

Also I live with my parents and they will think I'm mental if I wear my helmet when I'm inside the house.
 
Has anyone made this camera view for ps3 though.
Answer: No

Also I live with my parents and they will think I'm mental if I wear my helmet when I'm inside the house.

Why should that stop you..? :D

i think helmet view is very easy to make
in rf you can get a 1-2mb update for it (it was converted from GTR Evo)
than you have to put the car vibration on the helmet and its finish

i think i dont understood you ,i think a member said in the 2nd post that helmet view exist ,really?

Please, use some grammar. Or at least make use of Google's translating facilities if you have difficulty with English. :indiff: It's just I find it hard to understand what you're saying. What is it going to be like for someone using English as their second language?
 
To be honest, even though I like games like GTR and Race07 where they have the head movement down pretty well, it's really unrealistic.

The human brain has a built in stabilizer so this doesn't occur. I know blurring can occur, but usually your eyesight stays pretty steady and consistent even under high stress levels like driving a race car.
 
To be honest, even though I like games like GTR and Race07 where they have the head movement down pretty well, it's really unrealistic.

The human brain has a built in stabilizer so this doesn't occur. I know blurring can occur, but usually your eyesight stays pretty steady and consistent even under high stress levels like driving a race car.

In my experience of karting on a smooth surface it is far from steady. The view on GT is pretty stale for cockpit view. It got a little better in the Time Trial though.
 
Back