Helmet view

  • Thread starter Thread starter lbsf1
  • 80 comments
  • 10,040 views
In my experience of karting on a smooth surface it is far from steady. The view on GT is pretty stale for cockpit view. It got a little better in the Time Trial though.

I think there will always be disagreement here.

I don't think movement on the screen will accurately represent the forces that cause your head to move about. And your brain will not be able to compensate, like it can if it was your head that was moving about, i.e. in real life situations, or when using one of those machines that I posted in the video above.

It would just be a general annoyance, and does not reflect real life at all.
 
In my experience of karting on a smooth surface it is far from steady. The view on GT is pretty stale for cockpit view. It got a little better in the Time Trial though.

No it's not steady by far, but from what I've felt from driving karts and riding in drift cars, it doesn't shake anywhere near as much as people want it to.
 
I'll love the way it's done in Shift!
There's no obstruction of the helmet, but the hud looks as though it's fitted on the visor, so it's curved and moves about as your virtual head does!👍
I also like the blur/shake effects when you bump into someone or gain high speed(although this one is exaggerated) too. The cockpit view in GT is perhaps too sedate, and since maybe 0,0000000000001% of people have full-motion cockpits to shake and move them for real, it's nice to have this kind of bridge between reality and virtual world. Anyhow, the values for movement and blur, halved from those in Shift would be just fine I think.
[YOUTUBEhd]NAgyuJ2faX8[/YOUTUBEhd]

LOL what track is that? looks so messed up and wrong! Once you play GT5 and accurate tracks, I do not want to go back to sh__y ones.
 
A helmet view cam is a possibility I guess but I already find the cockpit view quite restricted compared to the wide bumper cam views. I wouldn't mind a bit of wobble, the videos which show the driver in the car look a bit too smooth. I wouldn't like the camera to lean around, think that would get too distracting plus I lean the wrong way, when I go round a left bend I lean left but in reality the g forces would push me right.
 
LOL what track is that? looks so messed up and wrong! Once you play GT5 and accurate tracks, I do not want to go back to sh__y ones.

Unfortunately, it's the Nordschleife.

As for the helmet cam, no thanks, I had an exemple of that in shift, and it's just annoying. BTW, if you look at the driver's arms in shift, it looks like the driver has parkinson or something. :lol:
 
LOL what track is that? looks so messed up and wrong! Once you play GT5 and accurate tracks, I do not want to go back to sh__y ones.

Is that supposed to be funny or something? Because it isn't.:rolleyes:
The layout is basically the same and the only difference is the recreation of the nature around it and some objects. Anyway, I consider it pretty faithful and just differing in details to the GT version, or to the real thing for that mater.
You know, if you're on the GT forum, that doesn't mean you have to be blindly obedient to the GT god, it just makes you look fanboyish, which is not a compliment.
 
I could do without the wobble. I like GT's cockpit view as it is. Now, I wouldn't be opposed to a *slight* (or adjustable) look-to-apex. Although, I doubt that'll happen, but I'm still perfectly content on how it is now (err...how it was in the TT demo -- subtle shake).
 
Is that supposed to be funny or something? Because it isn't.:rolleyes:
The layout is basically the same and the only difference is the recreation of the nature around it and some objects. Anyway, I consider it pretty faithful and just differing in details to the GT version, or to the real thing for that mater.
You know, if you're on the GT forum, that doesn't mean you have to be blindly obedient to the GT god, it just makes you look fanboyish, which is not a compliment.

Please learn to accept that people have a right to an opinion. If you disagree be a little bit more constructive and thoughtful in voicing your disagreement without resorting to name-calling. In short, grow up.
 
Please learn to accept that people have a right to an opinion. If you disagree be a little bit more constructive and thoughtful in voicing your disagreement without resorting to name-calling. In short, grow up.

Not to be rude, but he wasn't necessarily name-calling. He, in fact, offered constructive points and views. Sure, there was a harmless little quip in the beginning, but his reply wasn't childish in my opinion.
 
Last edited:
I don't know if you guys get really what I mean. When you racevwhatever you try to do to stop hit your head bounces around loads. I want the on screen view to bounce around like that. Even if it was an option that you could turn off and on.
Fix a camera to a helmet, wear it, and go karting yourself. Compare and contrast what the camera sees with what you saw with your own two eyes. There will be a huge difference between the two.

The camera will move and shake with the head/helmet, and with its fixed POV will show video footage that is extremely bouncy and eratic, just like that motorcycle video you linked to.

Inside your head you have a pair of eyes that are able to independently move and focus, so even though your head is moving around a lot, you are still able to keep a good lock on where you want to be going. Of course there will still be visible movement, but nowhere near as exaggerated.

As an option, fine, but I'd rather not have that particular aspect simulated. Still, some people want things as close to realistic as possible, often spending thousands on equipment in the process. As a gamer, I'm happy with the game, DualShock 3, leather sofa, a pizza, and a couple of cold beers :)
 
Fix a camera to a helmet, wear it, and go karting yourself. Compare and contrast what the camera sees with what you saw with your own two eyes. There will be a huge difference between the two.

The camera will move and shake with the head/helmet, and with its fixed POV will show video footage that is extremely bouncy and eratic, just like that motorcycle video you linked to.

Inside your head you have a pair of eyes that are able to independently move and focus, so even though your head is moving around a lot, you are still able to keep a good lock on where you want to be going. Of course there will still be visible movement, but nowhere near as exaggerated

Couldn't have put it better myself.
 
Fix a camera to a helmet, wear it, and go karting yourself. Compare and contrast what the camera sees with what you saw with your own two eyes. There will be a huge difference between the two.

The camera will move and shake with the head/helmet, and with its fixed POV will show video footage that is extremely bouncy and eratic, just like that motorcycle video you linked to.

Inside your head you have a pair of eyes that are able to independently move and focus, so even though your head is moving around a lot, you are still able to keep a good lock on where you want to be going. Of course there will still be visible movement, but nowhere near as exaggerated.

snip......

Inside your head you also have motion sensors that are tied into your visual processing to help what TD is describing, what you really need if you want this effect is some sort of powerful headmounted dualshock pack. I doubt such a thing would be legal to sell though.
 
Well GT5's cockpit view is definitely too static for me..
Because I noticed when I drive a car that for sure my brain makes a clear vision when I look foward to the road but my head moves around and the steering wheel and the dashboard in front of me is wobbeling. If you guys drive next time your car just see what I mean your vision out the windsheld isn't shaking because you focused on something , but your dashboard and other things in your car is wobbeling because your body moves...
In GT5 is your body and head stucked with glue to the seat lol.
 
Well GT5's cockpit view is definitely too static for me..
Because I noticed when I drive a car that for sure my brain makes a clear vision when I look foward to the road but my head moves around and the steering wheel and the dashboard in front of me is wobbeling. If you guys drive next time your car just see what I mean your vision out the windsheld isn't shaking because you focused on something , but your dashboard and other things in your car is wobbeling because your body moves...
In GT5 is your body and head stucked with glue to the seat lol.

In this recent video, I thought the cockpit moved around just the right amount. This video is taken with a tripod, so no hand shake at work here :)

Look at the top of the cockpit in relation to the screen edge, it moves quite a bit. At least a good inch or two. Anymore than this and you start to get into cartoon territory

 
I agree, in real life you adjust to the movment of your body, in a game youre body is stationary so the screen will just be a mess if it shakes around too much.
 
I think this view was already in previous F1 games.In fact I have F1 04 on PS2 and in my opinion is very realistic. A thumbs up if this is put in GT5 !!!!!
 
Dave A you are absolutly right
if you sit on a simulator than its ok if the view shakes but who has a simulator at home
the normal player dont have that means its not good if the view shakes


in some games i tried it and it was very unreal and bad
because you are setting in front of the tv (your body doesnt move/shake)and you try to follow to the view on tv and in the corners you turn your head to the left/right side...not real/good feeling
 
Ya know, I've posted here twice but I've yet to actually post what I think of one of the OP's ideas. We all seem to be focusing on the cockpit movement, whereas the OP also mentioned the whole helmet view itself.

What I think he's saying is something along these lines:

race07shot419029664.jpg



And having played games with this view, I actually like it. It's not very realistic, but it does simulate something that otherwise goes unnoticed. And considering most drivers in GT wear full face helmets, it'd be a cool option to have.
 
See, here's my problem with that "helmet cam" picture and cockpit views in general. They look totally artifical because they are always in focus and never quite what you see when sat in a real car or whatever. I've worn a few helmets in my time, and never have I been able to clearly see, and focus on, stickers on the visor and the padding of the chin guard. In that image it looks ridiculous, almost like the helmet is three times size of his head, complete with interior lighting. I know it doesn't have to be represented like that, bit still...

It's largely why I prefer hood cam, because while it may not be "authentic", it allows me to see a bit of the car I'm driving, but mainly focusses my attention on what really matters - the road ahead.
 
Watevaman look some posts before i said that (link with the picture)
but the guys here dont mean this helmet view
they want something like in the "just playing"

you are right tokyo its not very realistic

i think a normal helmet view with a bit shake is perfect
much or less shake isnt good because you sit at home while you are playing and your body dont shake...
 
Just wear a real helmet.
 
Yo, I'ma let y'all finish, but Live for Speed has the best cockpit view movement of all time! OF ALL TIME!:D
 
Yo, I'ma let y'all finish, but Live for Speed has the best cockpit view movement of all time! OF ALL TIME!:D

If it's been set up right yes, I'll agree with that.

NFS shift I played once and never again just because of it's ridiculous motion blur. When travelling at speed the inside of the cockpit DOES NOT blur. If like me you drive with HUD off, this is highly fustrating.

I like cockpit view as it allows me to see the nice interior of whatever i'm driving but usually on GT5 I use hood view as I already look past the G25 wheel I don't need to look past 2 wheels.

On LFS I have my custom view as hood cam aswell :]
 
Well I tend to use the cockpit view first, but if it isn't done right(like in TDU where it has lagging motions as though you're driving drunk or something), I switch to hood view. If that doesn't work(wrong fov or positioning or whatever), I switch to the bumper view. The only games I choose to play with the chase view are those designed that way, like GTA.
Regarding the LFS cockpit view, I think my settings are close to default, but one thing I would definitely emphasize, and which makes driving from that view in LFS so great, is the option for view to follow the animation! That's done subtly(unlike some games), but brilliantly, and it let's you peak towards the apexes of the corners and also makes drifting easier and more realistic!👍
disclaimer: I've seen videos on youtube where people have messed with settings too much and it's actually worse and not better(in my eyes). Just sayin'.;)
 
Well I tend to use the cockpit view first, but if it isn't done right(like in TDU where it has lagging motions as though you're driving drunk or something), I switch to hood view. If that doesn't work(wrong fov or positioning or whatever), I switch to the bumper view. The only games I choose to play with the chase view are those designed that way, like GTA.
Regarding the LFS cockpit view, I think my settings are close to default, but one thing I would definitely emphasize, and which makes driving from that view in LFS so great, is the option for view to follow the animation! That's done subtly(unlike some games), but brilliantly, and it let's you peak towards the apexes of the corners and also makes drifting easier and more realistic!👍
disclaimer: I've seen videos on youtube where people have messed with settings too much and it's actually worse and not better(in my eyes). Just sayin'.;)

The head movement with wheel is horrible I can't drive like that xD People said it was better to drift that way but I found it alot harder. It feels as though I haven't moved but the car has.. very odd.
 
The head movement with wheel is horrible I can't drive like that xD People said it was better to drift that way but I found it alot harder. It feels as though I haven't moved but the car has.. very odd.

Maybe you had some settings wrong or something, it was great for me!:)
The effect wasn't that much pronounced, but the view would always go slightly into the direction you'd instinctively look if it was for real. I've found it really satisfying and helpful. Some other games have tried the same with options like "look at the apex" kinda deal, but I never found it realistic or enjoyable, it felt forced and unnatural. Anyhow, I'd like very much to have the same thing in GT as an option!👍(if someone doesn't like it, turn it off)
btw. I love that aspect of LFS, there's options for everything, so even the hardest to please people could find their best seat position/fov/head movement and so on...;)
 
RaceOn inspired a helmet mod for GTR2, and even though I haven't tried it yet, I do like the idea.



PD does need to implement some real-world movement/g-forces (make them adjustable with a slider like on PC sims if need be) as well as a look-to-apex feature if head tracking isn't implemented. I find it a little frustrating to play Prologue now after using headtracking.
 
Back