Thanks all for your thoughts! Special thanks to
@kilesa4568 for such a thorough frame-by-frame analysis. Much appreciated! And thanks
@VBR for “The Good Racecraft Guide” (I already have the “Going Faster” book, love it!).
The poll clearly shows most of y’all feel it was my fault. And that’s expected, because it really looks like I was running him off on purpose. When I posted this in the GT Sport FB group, the mob came for my head with their pitchforks!
In the short straight before the left-hander, I saw him approaching, and gave him room to pull alongside. But that also put me out of position to approach the apex on the next left-hander (outside in). When approaching the left-hander, I was off-throttle primarily to slow down for the apex, and I was in bumper cam, so I didn’t realize he’d attempt a pass right then. I also took my eye off the radar for that split second to aim for the apex, and in the heat of the moment, I didn’t realize he’d gone off till I got the 3-second penalty. He didn’t fully complete the pass, so by the time I realized he hit me, it was too late.
In future, I’ll try to leave more room and concede to the faster car when the corner is lost, and there’s sufficient overlap, giving the attacker corner rights. I still think that was a terrible place to attempt a pass, though! I would’ve happily conceded in the upcoming sector since he was faster.
I’m usually pretty self-conscious and try to race as cleanly as possible. I hate dirty driving as much as you clean racers do. I’ve even willingly given back positions to cars I’ve accidentally bumped off in Sport Mode due to over-optimistic late braking, with apologies in the post-race chat. But I’m also guilty of the bad behaviour we despise on occasion, due to nerves and losing my cool.
Anyhow, I’ve learned a lot from this incident, thanks to the thoughtful discussion on this forum. Sport Mode and the penalty system have their flaws. But I still love the rush I get from this game, and playing out my racing driver fantasies. And it’s awesome that we have a place for thoughtful discussion on something we all love. Thank you, GT Planet!
PS: I’m keeping the paint job! And if you haven’t already, check out “Formula 1: Drive To Survive” on Netflix. Being a racing driver is the first job I’ve ever wanted to have since I was a kid, but lack of talent and opportunity got in the way. That show is the closest I ever got to see what it’s like in the life of an F1 driver. Oh well...maybe I’ll save up, be a Gentleman Driver and pay for a race some day...