• NSX '02

Results are only viewable after voting.

jubeiiiii246

(Banned)
United States
NYC
jubei257
Hey guys.
My science teacher gave me a project to do on the Scientific method to make a project about it.
My project is "How does aero parts affect the way a car handles in different conditions?"
So how do I test this?
GT of course! :P
Basically am taking a car, the same car, and am testing it on the same track but, testing it 4 times. First, Day time/dry next, night time/dry next, day time/100% wet last, night time/100% wet.
Everything about the car will stay the same expect the wing and for the wing we are going to do all 4 with out a wing all 4 with the factory wing and all 4 with a custom made wing. Everything else about the car will stay the same and all tires will stay the same even in rain. So look at this:
<My car>
Sport tires hard
--- BHP (Stock) --- KG (Stock)
ABS: ON
TCS: OFF
SRF: ON
ASM: OFF
Transmission:Manual
Driving line: OFF
Active steering: OFF

Last edited:
Based on this, something not overly quick too, to avoid making a mistake or compromising a time when looking for consistent input over several laps.
Agreed.

Exo X

I'd suggest a track you know very well too. Inexperience of a track will skew results as your performance and understanding of it will improve with every test.

I'm not sure on how accurate GT's aero physics are, but I'd recommend two types of testing on it: Test Course or Mulsanne straight without chicanes and a fast track.

The idea is: The bigger the wing, the higher the drag, the more it slows you down. Of course this changes with the angle of attack of the wing. A shallow wing doesn't slow you down as much as a steeper wing. With that in mind test high speed of the car with the various wings, if the top speed is the same, the model is flawed. Considering that the model is correct test the downforce thesis on a fast track like Deep Forest. Not as fast as that one but also good options are Trial Mountain or SS5. It depends on which track you are more consistent. As for the car choice, ideally should be a RWD because the wing generates more weight on the back minimizing rear slip, but for consistency I would recommend a 4WD car, install a torque converter and setting it to 30-70 torque. The Subaru and the Skylines are the more rear prone (I don't remember well this), not over powered cars. I would choose one of those.

The track am using is Apricot hill raceway. Am testing how the wing affect's the time around the track. The car am using will be stock.

Last edited:
Ditch Apricot Hill.

Straight line test to see drag. Do a single high speed turn with a constant entry speed and measure the exit speed at a specific point for lateral acceleration (or if there's some sort of mode in the game where you can see max lateral acceleration, that would be preferable). Accumulate data over many runs with and without the wing. Vary entry speed for an added dimension to the data. Vary the car for another added dimension to the data.

Science is about creating reproducible data in a controlled environment.

Ignoring GT6's broken aero model, the important question here is why B-Spec Bob isn't being brought in.

Bring back Bob! Bring back Bob!

Ignoring GT6's broken aero model, the important question here is why B-Spec Bob isn't being brought in.

I agree! Surely Like The Wind would be perfect. Only problem is that you cannot change the weather conditions.

I cannot remember, but if you can set up a custom B-Spec race, that is definitely the way to go!

Ditch Apricot Hill.

Straight line test to see drag. Do a single high speed turn with a constant entry speed and measure the exit speed at a specific point for lateral acceleration (or if there's some sort of mode in the game where you can see max lateral acceleration, that would be preferable). Accumulate data over many runs with and without the wing. Vary entry speed for an added dimension to the data. Vary the car for another added dimension to the data.

Science is about creating reproducible data in a controlled environment.
At special stage route X?

What does this have to do with my experiment?
How is it not? No grammar to speak of, and am is not related in any way to I'm. And, yes, you have made it way worse.
Advice noted and taken.
Please understand my English is a bit broken but for your information, I have 90's and 100's in my English classes.

Last edited:
At special stage route X?

I'm not sure what version of the game you're playing. If you can get a readout of peak lateral acceleration during a turn, that would be best. If not, find a high speed turn (any course) and use a constant entrance speed at a given point, and for that car, do a bunch of runs to measure exit speed at a consistent spot until you get repeated results (no drifting). At that point you can hand it in or you can test other entry speeds.

If you can measure lateral acceleration, just do a bunch of runs at that turn until you get consistent peak lateral acceleration. Then try a tighter turn and compare lateral acceleration with the exit speed you can get out of both turns.

Quick question to all:
Why is the Evo X getting the most votes? Is it that good?

The car does not matter in this case. But if you want to remove it as a variable, do multiple cars and present the results across all cars.

Here's what you'll get if the physics engine is good:
The wing slows you down on straight line tests.
The wing improves lateral acceleration (or exit speed) most on high speed turns. The slower or tighter the turn, the less impact it has.
The wing improves lateral acceleration (or exit speed) most on RWD cars.

If you want to map that out to full track experience you'd find that:
- Tracks with long straights benefit least from aerodynamic downforce and may even lose performance with it.
- Low speed tracks benefit less from downforce than high speed tracks with lots of turns.

I'm not sure what version of the game you're playing. If you can get a readout of peak lateral acceleration during a turn, that would be best. If not, find a high speed turn (any course) and use a constant entrance speed at a given point, and for that car, do a bunch of runs to measure exit speed at a consistent spot until you get repeated results (no drifting). At that point you can hand it in or you can test other entry speeds.

If you can measure lateral acceleration, just do a bunch of runs at that turn until you get consistent peak lateral acceleration. Then try a tighter turn and compare lateral acceleration with the exit speed you can get out of both turns.

The car does not matter in this case. But if you want to remove it as a variable, do multiple cars and present the results across all cars.

Here's what you'll get if the physics engine is good:
The wing slows you down on straight line tests.
The wing improves lateral acceleration (or exit speed) most on high speed turns. The slower or tighter the turn, the less impact it has.
The wing improves lateral acceleration (or exit speed) most on RWD cars.

If you want to map that out to full track experience you'd find that:
- Tracks with long straights benefit least from aerodynamic downforce and may even lose performance with it.
- Low speed tracks benefit less from downforce than high speed tracks with lots of turns.
The game am playing is the latest Gran Turismo 6.
The thing is my experiment is to test how downfoce affects the car's time around the track in different conditions (Rain, night, day dry ETC)

The game am playing is the latest Gran Turismo 6.
The thing is my experiment is to test how downfoce affects the car's time around the track in different conditions (Rain, night, day dry ETC)

Uh huh... if you didn't want advice on how to set up a decent experiment, you could have just refrained from posting to begin with.

How old are you? What grade are you in? What I set up for you is a late-middle school early high school type experiment (back when I went to school... so probably now it's earlier).

You'll understand why I find that hard to believe.

💡
Why do you pick on the smallest mistakes. Nobody's perfect. Understand that

Uh huh... if you didn't want advice on how to set up a decent experiment, you could have just refrained from posting to begin with.

How old are you? What grade are you in? What I set up for you is a late-middle school early high school type experiment (back when I went to school... so probably now it's earlier).
No no. Thank you for the advice but I just need votes for the car I should use that's it. I don't need an experiment set up.

No no. Thank you for the advice but I just need votes for the car I should use that's it. I don't need an experiment set up.

Yes you do. The car doesn't matter.

Let's say you pick the RX-7 (first on your list). The results you get will be specific to that car. Let's say you pick the earlier RX-7, the results you get will be specific to that car. Let's say you pick a Silvia... the results you get will be specific to that car. Which car you pick changes nothing about the nature of what you're doing. If you want the car to matter, you have to vary it across many of them, at which point your poll is meaningless.

So either way... the car doesn't matter.

That's how I know you need help with the setup, because you've picked something that doesn't matter and asked for input on it.

Yes you do. The car doesn't matter.

Let's say you pick the RX-7 (first on your list). The results you get will be specific to that car. Let's say you pick the earlier RX-7, the results you get will be specific to that car. Let's say you pick a Silvia... the results you get will be specific to that car. Which car you pick changes nothing about the nature of what you're doing. If you want the car to matter, you have to vary it across many of them, at which point your poll is meaningless.

So either way... the car doesn't matter.

That's how I know you need help with the setup, because you've picked something that doesn't matter and asked for input on it.

Danoff you clearly are out of your depth, these 9th graders now days know far better

Danoff you clearly are out of your depth, these 9th graders now days know far better

Well I'm not trying to pick on @jubeiiiii246. It's just... what's being proposed doesn't make sense. I'm defending science!

bill-nye-lasers.jpg

Back