• Skyline GT-R '97

• Skyline GT-R '94

• Impreza '10

• Impreza '05

• Supra '88

• Civic '08

• NSX '02

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well I'm not trying to pick on @jubeiiiii246. It's just... what's being proposed doesn't make sense. I'm defending science!

bill-nye-lasers.jpg

Oh I agree with your defense and nice touch using a Mechanical Engineer's image to do so. I just want you to know that Bill Nye and this so called science having nothing on a high school freshmen and his ambitions.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't think using Gran Turismo for aero dynamic experiments will give good nor accurate results. About the suggestion made earlier of using B-Spec Bob, I wouldn't bother there either, "he" drives a little differently each lap. What you will need is consistency so it's a job best done yourself.

As far as I know (which could be totally false) and tested myself, removing a stock rear wing and adding a front wing to any car provides zero differences, only adding a custom rear wing makes any difference (and a minor one at that on most cars). This would not happen in real life at all.

As for the best track to try it on, I think you would be better off doing your experiments at High Speed Ring, followed by reading and recording the data from the telementary graphs.

Honestly get rid of Skid Recovery Force, it'll combat any aerodynamics that occur when the car turns a corner. I recommend some kind of race car & you need to detune your explanations, don't expect anyone to understand your reasoning.

I also recommend something else than GT6, because some of the physics are left overs from GT5, other than the suspension model.

Try making a chart or something because I know some kids will not understand you, I had that happen before, and it was not fun.

Honestly get rid of Skid Recovery Force, it'll combat any aerodynamics that occur when the car turns a corner. I recommend some kind of race car & you need to detune your explanations, don't expect anyone to understand your reasoning.

I also recommend something else than GT6, because some of the physics are left overs from GT5, other than the suspension model.

Try making a chart or something because I know some kids will not understand you, I had that happen before, and it was not fun.
Well I am making a poster bored with some pictures.
By the way I don't have other games with the game play as GT. The other games I have is Need For Speed, GTA V and some other games that are not racing.

I'm affraid Gran Turismo is not realistic enough to pull this school project off. Too many factors affect race driving starting with: air temperature, air density, track surface temperature to begin with. I would go with Honda S2000. As for a track... no idea. Something that allows to go fast, but not a straight line. You are interested in testing car with/without spoiler while cornering under different weather conditions. :confused:

A better experiment would be the effect different tyres and spring rates have, as GT6's aero engine is not very good.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't think using Gran Turismo for aero dynamic experiments will give good nor accurate results. About the suggestion made earlier of using B-Spec Bob, I wouldn't bother there either, "he" drives a little differently each lap. What you will need is consistency so it's a job best done yourself.

As far as I know (which could be totally false) and tested myself, removing a stock rear wing and adding a front wing to any car provides zero differences, only adding a custom rear wing makes any difference (and a minor one at that on most cars). This would not happen in real life at all.

As for the best track to try it on, I think you would be better off doing your experiments at High Speed Ring, followed by reading and recording the data from the telementary graphs.

According to the first post, the project is on the scientific method. If that is the case, all that is needed is consistency. GT can be as inaccurate as possible, but still provide a valid place for experimentation.

I'm not familiar with GT6 specifically, but the physics engine tends to be very simple across the series. I do know that downforce and drag and accounted for, so the proposed test should work. Road cars in most games tend to have extremely weak aerodynamics though, which could make picking results from the noise difficult. In this way the choice of car could have some impact.

In any case if I'm understanding the intent of the project, the most important part is setting up the experiment. Not choosing what specific case you'll be testing.

According to the first post, the project is on the scientific method. If that is the case, all that is needed is consistency. GT can be as inaccurate as possible, but still provide a valid place for experimentation.

I'm not familiar with GT6 specifically, but the physics engine tends to be very simple across the series. I do know that downforce and drag and accounted for, so the proposed test should work. Road cars in most games tend to have extremely weak aerodynamics though, which could make picking results from the noise difficult. In this way the choice of car could have some impact.

In any case if I'm understanding the intent of the project, the most important part is setting up the experiment. Not choosing what specific case you'll be testing.
As of now, I have changed my experiment. A lot of people have been saying GT has a weak aero model so I will be switching to the suspension model here as that is a strong point in GT. I will test Soft suspension hard suspension, stock and racing suspension. Also testing them in different condtions. Night, night rain ,day rain etc. At Apricot hill

As of now, I have changed my experiment. A lot of people have been saying GT has a weak aero model so I will be switching to the suspension model here as that is a strong point in GT. I will test Soft suspension hard suspension, stock and racing suspension. Also testing them in different condtions. Night, night rain ,day rain etc. At Apricot hill

You can still test the aero model. Just because it's the virtual world doesn't mean that it's not a legitimate field to study. Just change your research question from "how does aero parts affect the handling of the car?" to "how does aero parts affect the handling of the car in Gran Turismo 6?"

I mean, your research could even contribute to the community's knowledge about tuning and setups that way.

As for the actual research method, I'd try to design some tests that give quantifiable results, such as:
  • Cornering speed
  • Acceleration
  • Top speed
  • Braking
  • Lap time

My science teacher gave me a project to do on the Scientific method to make a project about it.

Another advice would be to choose a question/hypothesis first and then try to validate or refute the question, like "With aero part X the car has less top speed" or "With aero part X the car will stop sooner". Try to design your experiment so that you can answer the question, instead of thinking of questions that fit the outcome of your experiment.

You can measure a lot by using the MoTeC i2 Pro export feature of GT6, check out this thread for what can be done.

I just voted for the Civic '08 - you're better off using a lower end car with less power because it's easier to drive.

I like the idea, but you need to define the scope of your project better. Like @eran0004 said, you need to use tangible things as a result: lap time and cornering speeds are a good start.

Now you have me wanting to do something.

There is a problem ... in these jdm putting the front splitter you can not adjust the aerodynamics so it does not generate downforce and it is as if there wasn't the splitter. only the rear spoiler affects aerodynamics. and then the car choices have much grip ... try with a Ferrari 458 because with no aid is nervous and because the splitter and the spoiler affect aerodynamics if I remember correctly.

There is a problem ... in these jdm putting the front splitter you can not adjust the aerodynamics so it does not generate downforce and it is as if there wasn't the splitter. only the rear spoiler affects aerodynamics. and then the car choices have much grip ... try with a Ferrari 458 because with no aid is nervous and because the splitter and the spoiler affect aerodynamics if I remember correctly.

That's not a problem. You don't design an experiment based on what outcomes you want to get. You design it based on what variables you want to test, and then you publish the outcomes, whatever they may be. If the front splitter doesn't make any difference then so be it. It's a finding as good as any other.

That's not a problem. You don't design an experiment based on what outcomes you want to get. You design it based on what variables you want to test, and then you publish the outcomes, whatever they may be. If the front splitter doesn't make any difference then so be it. It's a finding as good as any other.

Well the splitter in real life can make you better times at least for two/three seconds per lap so it can affect a lot. in gt6 the splitter unfortunately has not always aerodynamic value (when it should to have) so i think is more correct choose a car with working splitter to get a more accurate result...

Well the splitter in real life can make you better times at least for two/three seconds per lap so it can affect a lot. in gt6 the splitter unfortunately has not always aerodynamic value (when it should to have) so i think is more correct choose a car with working splitter to get a more accurate result...

Not if the test subject is GT6. Which it should be, because if you're testing real world physics through a game you can't be sure whether the results are because of some real world phenomenon or because of the game's code.

Not if the test subject is GT6. Which it should be, because if you're testing real world physics through a game you can't be sure whether the results are because of some real world phenomenon or because of the game's code.
Aren't all results found in game, as a result of game code? How could it be otherwise?

Consulting a literature on the matter would be a good starting point. There are tons of papers and explanations on the internet, even for people who are not into technical stuff that much.

Next, GT could be used for testing some hypothesis and theories found in the literature, but certainly not all of them as (in my opinion) the physics is not advanced enough. If the project doesn't need to be a groundbreaking science work though, GT should suffice.

For testing out suspension on a car, any RWD car with close to ideal or ideal (50-50) weight distribution should be good for carrying out your mission, especially if it is a bit older.

Last edited:
Back