Help me do the unthinkable:

  • Thread starter Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 97 comments
  • 3,477 views
///M-Spec
Dad is an exceedingly cool guy. He just doesn't know much about cars/trucks, like 99% of the general public and 75% of people who claim to be car enthusiasts.


M
I still say the GX470. Its a great SUV. Does he like Lexus or does Lexus have the same image as Acura in his book?
*EDIT* Oh and I am not one of them car enthusiasts you are talking about since I have experience with this SUV except I still havent driven it yet! :ouch: :mad: :lol: My time will come. :D January to be exact. :trouble:
*EDIT AGAIN* Oh my cousin owns one thats how I have experience since I go to his house often and ride in it when going to places such as Destin I know you are familiar with Destin.
 
pimp racer
I still say the GX470. Its a great SUV. Does he like Lexus or does Lexus have the same image as Acura in his book?

He does indeed like Lexus and considers the brand far above the other two Japanese luxury makes. I have to admit this doesn't surprise me, since Acura tends to market to a younger, performance oriented buyer rather than someone like my dad who wants a living room on wheels covered with Coach leather... something Lexus has down pat.

I've done some reading on the GX. I must admit it looks pretty good on a spec sheet.

How's the ride/refinement/interior sound levels?


M
 
///M-Spec
He does indeed like Lexus and considers the brand far above the other two Japanese luxury makes. I have to admit this doesn't surprise me, since Acura tends to market to a younger, performance oriented buyer rather than someone like my dad who wants a living room on wheels covered with Coach leather... something Lexus has down pat.

I've done some reading on the GX. I must admit it looks pretty good on a spec sheet.

How's the ride/refinement/interior sound levels?


M
Lets see the ride is just excellent IMO. When we go over bumps and messed up roads the ride feels almost as if it was going on a straight road. Lets see refinement? what do you mean? Like how the controls are and things like that? Well the controls are greatly placed and the navigation is not bad either. Lets see the interior sound level you can barely hear the wind or any thing it is just great. I have sat in many SUV's in the past such as this new RX and the Honda Pilot and so on but when I sat in the Lexus GX470 it was really great! My best experience in the SUV. The power is pretty good. Its got a V8 under the hood not bad and the MPG is 15 City and 18 Highway.
4.7L 235 hp V8
HP = 235 @ 4800 RPM
Torque = 320 @ 3400 RPM
The interior is pretty roomy. I am guessing your Dad's gonna like it since it is kind of like a living room on wheels. :lol:
Ok now the only problem he had with the SUV was that he got it when it came out I think 2003 and all of the Lexus lineup's had HID's head lights and for some reason his GX470 did NOT come with it and there wasnt even a option for it even though we called up the Lexus people they said it was stock but we told them it did not come stock so now he is thinking if he should get new headlights or just leave the old ones. I hope this helped. Any more questions I will be happy to answer. :D Oh and has your dad test driven the GX470 yet?
*EDIT* He is looking at a QX eh? I say stick with the GX since it will probably be a bit cheaper and the insurance will be maybe a few hundred bucks off a year maybe?
 
pimp racer
he got it when it came out I think 2003 and all of the Lexus lineup's had HID's head lights and for some reason his GX470 did NOT come with it and there wasnt even a option for it even though we called up the Lexus people they said it was stock but we told them it did not come stock

If it was indeed standard spec when he bought it and he didn't get it, have him take it to the dealer - I'm fairly sure they're bound by law to retrofit it for free. The same thing happened to a ConsumerGuide test Ford Focus (didn't come with standard tilt) and to my own mother's Mazda Tribute, which doesn't have the ES's standard cassette player. CG got theirs retrofitted for free - my mother hasn't used a cassette in about seven years, so I couldn't convince her to do the same thing.

*EDIT* He is looking at a QX eh? I say stick with the GX since it will probably be a bit cheaper and the insurance will be maybe a few hundred bucks off a year maybe?

Not to mention that the QX56 drives like a boat.

///M: Lincoln Aviator?
 
M5Power
If it was indeed standard spec when he bought it and he didn't get it, have him take it to the dealer - I'm fairly sure they're bound by law to retrofit it for free. The same thing happened to a ConsumerGuide test Ford Focus (didn't come with standard tilt) and to my own mother's Mazda Tribute, which doesn't have the ES's standard cassette player. CG got theirs retrofitted for free - my mother hasn't used a cassette in about seven years, so I couldn't convince her to do the same thing.



Not to mention that the QX56 drives like a boat.

///M: Lincoln Aviator?
Ok I will tell him when he gets back in January I think. BTW do you know of any other owners of the 2003 GX470 that does not have HID's on the car? It might be possible that the guy who he was talking to was maybe saying it might have it since every Lexus lineup right now has it.
Ahhh Aviator nice but isnt it smaller than the Navigator? His dad needs the SUV to be like a living room.
 
BMW X5 that would be my choice if I had one.
 
How about the Infiniti QX? I saw it debut at the auto show last year and it was just damn amazing on the inside. It's pretty nice on the outside too. Base AWD model comes at 50k. Up to 52800 if you add the entertainment package and the sunroof. The only other options worth noting are the intelligent cruise control @ $800 and Sattelite radio @ $400. It looks good, it should be pretty reliable, and almost everything comes standard.
 
pimp racer
Hey how did your Dad's test drive go yesterday?

He ended up stuck at the office and not going. It's a busy time of the year for him. He said he'd make time later this week.

Other than the HIDs, has your cuz had any issues with the GX?


M
 
///M-Spec
He ended up stuck at the office and not going. It's a busy time of the year for him. He said he'd make time later this week.

Other than the HIDs, has your cuz had any issues with the GX?


M
Well until this point nope. Any thing else?
 
try a Range Rover...if its too expensive try a used one...far better than all american junk dressed like cars...
 
pimp racer
Ahhh Aviator nice but isnt it smaller than the Navigator? His dad needs the SUV to be like a living room.

Aviator's smaller than Navigator, but it's bigger than GX470.

I've never heard anyone else with a GX470 who hasn't got HID headlights - I can say for sure than one owner I know very well does indeed have them.
 
gloup
try a Range Rover...if its too expensive try a used one...far better than all american junk dressed like cars...

roflmao.gif


Avoid all Land Rover products like the plague. Especially used ones.
 
Firebird
roflmao.gif


Avoid all Land Rover products like the plague. Especially used ones.
Agreed. Land Rover was voted the least reliable manufacturer in Canada for 2004, beating manufacturers such as Kia and Daewoo for the bottom spot.
 
gloup
try a Range Rover...if its too expensive try a used one...far better than all american junk dressed like cars...
Ummm, yeah, OK. British cars typically have the worst reliability and longevity records going, with the exception of maybe cheap Italian models.

But whatever. Hating Americans is easy; I don't blame you for being lazy about it.
 
Looks like the Volvo will get the nod. Dad drove the LR3 and GX470 and wasn't very impressed with either. The LR3 was unyieldly, ponderous and dad didn't care for the fit-finish or interior appointments. The GX470 was also "hard to drive" with very vague steering and very spongy suspension.

Mom drove the XC90 and, as I suspect, found it very easy to drive and see out of and more or less behaved like a car in all respects. They were very happy with styling, fit-finish and execution of the interior, as well as overall value. Dad will still need to actually drive the Volvo.

Get this. The Lexus salesman tried to get them to buy an '04 demo with 10,000 miles on it.... for 45k! :rolleyes: This is on a vehicle that has an invoice price of $39,500. :dunce:


M
 
///M-Spec
Looks like the Volvo will get the nod. Dad drove the LR3 and GX470 and wasn't very impressed with either. The LR3 was unyieldly, ponderous and dad didn't care for the fit-finish or interior appointments. The GX470 was also "hard to drive" with very vague steering and very spongy suspension.

Mom drove the XC90 and, as I suspect, found it very easy to drive and see out of and more or less behaved like a car in all respects. They were very happy with styling, fit-finish and execution of the interior, as well as overall value. Dad will still need to actually drive the Volvo.

Get this. The Lexus salesman tried to get them to buy an '04 demo with 10,000 miles on it.... for 45k! :rolleyes: This is on a vehicle that has an invoice price of $39,500. :dunce:


M

Spongy? Meaning soft I guess? Oh well different people have different feels on a car. :lol: @ the salesperson!
BTW I took my written drivers exam and had 20 general knowledge questions and 20 signs question and I passed and missed only one question in the general knowledge area. I think the question was on Alcohol. Really happy! I was gonna make a thread about this in the Rumble stirp and then was like its all good not a big deal for now......I guess. I now have to wait 9 weeks ( thats when the class is over) and I will recieve my liscence! :D
 
Firebird
Avoid all Land Rover products like the plague. Especially used ones.

No problems yet,and I'm what, two months on?

Agree though - don't buy a Land Rover older than a few years. I had a 1996 Discovery a few years ago and sold it because it was (I believed, at the time) the very least reliable vehicle ever manufactured and sold to Man. Then I owned a 1999 Mercedes ML430 in 2002 and updated my opinion...

///M-Spec
Get this. The Lexus salesman tried to get them to buy an '04 demo with 10,000 miles on it.... for 45k! This is on a vehicle that has an invoice price of $39,500.

Where does your dad live? Demand for these things has been pretty bad in most of the country - he should check around Online for what sort of deals he can get (though it doesn't seem like he liked it much anyway).

By the way, I would've offered $33000 on that 2004 with 10,000 miles and wouldn't have gone any higher than $37500.

XC90's a decent choice - I'm a bit put off by performance but if you need three rows of seats it's probably among the best you can do. I'd have probably gotten the Acura (actually I'd have come up with some weird used car - the Land Rover Defender 90 seats six - but if I were him I'd have gotten the Acura).
 
pimp racer
Spongy? Meaning soft I guess? Oh well different people have different feels on a car. :lol: @ the salesperson!
BTW I took my written drivers exam and had 20 general knowledge questions and 20 signs question and I passed and missed only one question in the general knowledge area. I think the question was on Alcohol. Really happy! I was gonna make a thread about this in the Rumble stirp and then was like its all good not a big deal for now......I guess. I now have to wait 9 weeks ( thats when the class is over) and I will recieve my liscence! :D

"Spongy" was my word, not his. It is my way of describing a suspension with poor body control.

Congrats on passing your written :)

M5Power
Where does your dad live? Demand for these things has been pretty bad in most of the country - he should check around Online for what sort of deals he can get (though it doesn't seem like he liked it much anyway).

By the way, I would've offered $33000 on that 2004 with 10,000 miles and wouldn't have gone any higher than $37500.

XC90's a decent choice - I'm a bit put off by performance but if you need three rows of seats it's probably among the best you can do. I'd have probably gotten the Acura (actually I'd have come up with some weird used car - the Land Rover Defender 90 seats six - but if I were him I'd have gotten the Acura).

He lives in centeral NJ and yeah, I told him not to bother with the demo or the salesman. If if the thing had 10k in options it would have been a lousy deal.

I tried to talk him into the Acura --he never drove it.


M
 
The VW Toareg with the V8 engine starts at $ 44 000. That would deffinitly be a car to consider. Reliable, large enough and still capable offroad.
 
Obsessed with reliability...if you want a car to get it into your grave when you get very very old, its ok, buy an american one. Anyway, american cars are so reliable cause there is no part too complex or technologically advanced so as to be broken. Only water, loads of motor oil and there it goes...Or you can buy a donkey...it only needs food and water.And it is VERY VERY reliable!! I read a review of a stupid (Ford i think) car that still had KL Jetronic installed (think it is Bosch's system?) That reminds me of my classic 1973 Jaguar XJ6. High Tech! And for god shake, how can you distinguish a make from another? everything seems too identical to me...ever crossed your mind the phrase "unique design"?
 
gloup
Obsessed with reliability...if you want a car to get it into your grave when you get very very old, its ok, buy an american one. Anyway, american cars are so reliable cause there is no part too complex or technologically advanced so as to be broken. Only water, loads of motor oil and there it goes...Or you can buy a donkey...it only needs food and water.And it is VERY VERY reliable!! I read a review of a stupid (Ford i think) car that still had KL Jetronic installed (think it is Bosch's system?) That reminds me of my classic 1973 Jaguar XJ6. High Tech! And for god shake, how can you distinguish a make from another? everything seems too identical to me...ever crossed your mind the phrase "unique design"?

Right - where are all the Greek cars again, mister know-it-all?
 
Where are all Michigans cars? Greece does not produce cars...I'm talking about Europe as a whole. And i can tell if car is good or not. I'm just representing the European Automotive school and way of thinking. I just want to mention that US automotive industries have forgot everything about technology and its evolution. They still live in the 70's 80's when they tried to compete european manufacturers...but failed. Which american brand can face a Ferrari, a Porsche, a Lamborghini, a Mercedes, a BMW, a Jaguar, an Audi (do you want me to keep on counting?)
Or what about the past, where most americans dreamt about having an Alfa Romeo, even though they were liability disasters (ah, by the way check out www.alfaromeo.com to see what kind of supermodels are driven around europe)
European car manufacturers have other things in mind rather that thinking about how to drain all petroleum out of this planet by producing 3L engines with 160hp and fuel consumption of 25L/100km. Remember that the mean European engine of that volume generates at least 230hp with fuel consumption limited to max 15-16L/100km
It is all about the US government strategy to impose high taxes in European imported cars, in order to push production in domestic firms. Very simple importing strategy.
I dont mean that there are not any american cars good enough. In my opinion, Mustangs and Shelby Cobras are included in the industry's masterpieces. However, they are like a drop of water in an ocean. This obsession with the 1970 made small block V8 makes me sic.
I belive that only Chrysler might be an exeption. Thanx to Daimler Benz who took over the company (they told you that it was a merger not to conflict with your nationalistic feelings towards it.)
Finally, i want to mention that: in america, having an european car (even that piece of $hit the VW Beetle) is a sign of class and wealth, while in europe having an american car is a sing of "kitch" and bad taste.
 
gloup
Where are all Michigans cars? Greece does not produce cars...I'm talking about Europe as a whole. And i can tell if car is good or not. I'm just representing the European Automotive school and way of thinking. I just want to mention that US automotive industries have forgot everything about technology and its evolution. They still live in the 70's 80's when they tried to compete european manufacturers...but failed. Which american brand can face a Ferrari, a Porsche, a Lamborghini, a Mercedes, a BMW, a Jaguar, an Audi (do you want me to keep on counting?)
Or what about the past, where most americans dreamt about having an Alfa Romeo, even though they were liability disasters (ah, by the way check out www.alfaromeo.com to see what kind of supermodels are driven around europe)
European car manufacturers have other things in mind rather that thinking about how to drain all petroleum out of this planet by producing 3L engines with 160hp and fuel consumption of 25L/100km. Remember that the mean European engine of that volume generates at least 230hp with fuel consumption limited to max 15-16L/100km
It is all about the US government strategy to impose high taxes in European imported cars, in order to push production in domestic firms. Very simple importing strategy.
I dont mean that there are not any american cars good enough. In my opinion, Mustangs and Shelby Cobras are included in the industry's masterpieces. However, they are like a drop of water in an ocean. This obsession with the 1970 made small block V8 makes me sic.
I belive that only Chrysler might be an exeption. Thanx to Daimler Benz who took over the company (they told you that it was a merger not to conflict with your nationalistic feelings towards it.)
Finally, i want to mention that: in america, having an european car (even that piece of $hit the VW Beetle) is a sign of class and wealth, while in europe having an american car is a sing of "kitch" and bad taste.

Uhhh, yeah. Do us all a favor and post back when you get a the slightest shred of a clue what you're talking about. This is the biggest load of bollocks I've heard in quite a long time. You should hang out on the Opinions board and tell us the rest of what you "know" about America.
:rolleyes:
 
gloup
Where are all Michigans cars?

Uh...

You do know that Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler were founded and are located in Michigan, as well as the North American arm of most foreign manufacturers, right?

That might be the very worst comeback I've ever heard in my entire life.

By the way I'm not going to argue in gross generalities - idiots do that.
 
///M-Spec
"Spongy" was my word, not his. It is my way of describing a suspension with poor body control.

Congrats on passing your written :)


M

Oh ok I see now. My bad I guess I forgot about this thread. :scared:
Thank you. Ha Doug thought I could pass it and to my suprise I did! :D It would have sucked if I didnt! Now I gotta get my Birth Certificiate and Social Security read to show to the DMV people. :lol: You know that Florida has only one lady to enter in all the new "kids" name! So thats about a few thousands kids names she has to enter so if I dont get my online wavier I will have to take the little paper wavier from the teacher and guard it with my life! :lol:
 
Hey mate, i have no idea where american automotive companies are located...non of my business anyway! Everything started by criticising Land Rover's reliability. My father owns a Range Rover for 3 years and he lives up in the mountains. He uses this car not for going shopping at the supermarket and so far the only fault of the car is a couple of burnt bulbs and a faulty windscreen washer. If you want to use a SUV or generally any 4x4 just for messing with downtown's traffic and going shopping, there will be a reliability issue. It will end up with a broken clutch or even heated up (not always the case though). Ferraris are made for high speeds...if you treat it like a supermini downtown, it will break enetually. If you take a Cadillac for an off road course, it will be damaged too. So, reliability is all about HOW you use your car not what the car's make is. Capisci?
 
I can only think of one choice for your dad...

...the Lamborghini LM002 -
Proper off-road capabilities (unlike a H2),
Great performance (Countach V12 power!)
Rugged looks (your not going to see another one on the road, if individuality is your dads thing),
The right badge (Ford, Toyota, Chevy or Lamborghini?)
Luxury interiors (most were fitted out for Oil Sheiks with the finest Leather etc. Sat nav? - it can always be retro fitted)

Cost? - you could probably pick one up for under 50k now, and the depreciation will probably be none existant!
 
Back