Help me do the unthinkable:

  • Thread starter Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 97 comments
  • 3,477 views
TheCracker
I can only think of one choice for your dad...

...the Lamborghini LM002 -

Cost? - you could probably pick one up for under 50k now, and the depreciation will probably be none existant!

:lol: So is parts and servicing. But that is an amusing thought.

The XC90 is it, btw. 2.5T AWD.. pretty much all the bells and whistles. They cut him a deal $2000 BELOW invoice. There must be a heck of a rebate going around.


M
 
///M-Spec
:lol: So is parts and servicing. But that is an amusing thought.

The XC90 is it, btw. 2.5T AWD.. pretty much all the bells and whistles. They cut him a deal $2000 BELOW invoice. There must be a heck of a rebate going around.


M
Ha this reminds me of my converstaion with Doug on AIM. I told him about the deal my dad got when he bought my brothers car. Its an 04 Accord EX V6 fully loaded except Navigation because they wont/dont know how to use it. SO any ways that would cost around 27 000 USD but we got a good deal on my brothers since my dad has connections with some people in Texas and things like that so we paid about 23000-24000 USD. I could go into way more detail on why we got if for cheap and such if you guys want me to. Ask Doug it was one hella of an IM. My hands hurted afterwards! :lol: BTW the car was brand new and not a demo car or used.
 
For $50,000 they could just take nice long vacations in the winter and not worry with a stupid SUV.
 
LoudMusic
For $50,000 they could just take nice long vacations in the winter and not worry with a stupid SUV.
Yeah thats true. Maybe he can buy a BMW 3 series or someting for the summer? Or maybe even an Acura TL!
 
forester_sti.jpg
 
damn, that thing needs new rims. I'm still leaning towards a used navigator, luxury SUV's are usually kept in great condition too. People don't just sit and let them rust.
 
///M-Spec
The XC90 is it, btw. 2.5T AWD.. pretty much all the bells and whistles. They cut him a deal $2000 BELOW invoice. There must be a heck of a rebate going around.

I believe - without giving this much thought - that an XC90 2.5T AWD with all the bells and whistles will be the slowest Volvo in about thirteen years. I have a quoted 0-60 time at 9.3 with 2WD.

Not that it's relevant, but just an observation. :D
 
M5Power
I believe - without giving this much thought - that an XC90 2.5T AWD with all the bells and whistles will be the slowest Volvo in about thirteen years. I have a quoted 0-60 time at 9.3 with 2WD.

Not that it's relevant, but just an observation. :D

So you're saying the V70 2.4 with the automatic is faster than 9.3 seconds 0-60?
 
M5Power
I believe - without giving this much thought - that an XC90 2.5T AWD with all the bells and whistles will be the slowest Volvo in about thirteen years. I have a quoted 0-60 time at 9.3 with 2WD.

Not that it's relevant, but just an observation. :D

Yeah, sounds about right. Perfectly in line with how dad drives. :indiff:


M
 
gloup
Hey, what about a BMW X5 or the cheaper X3??

They thought about the X5 briefly until I told them there is no 3 row seat option. Besides which they're kinda "been there, done that" with BMWs.

The X3 is an overpriced, shoddily built pile. Once the shine wears off on this Austrian fashion trinket, BMW will really, really hate subsidizing it for the next 4 years.


M
 
MrktMkr1986
So you're saying the V70 2.4 with the automatic is faster than 9.3 seconds 0-60?

I have a quoted time of 9.2, so probably not. Still, think of that statement with as much thought as I gave it - very little. I'd bet the automatic 850 wagon wasn't exactly lightning either.

///M-Spec
The X3 is an overpriced, shoddily built pile. Once the shine wears off on this Austrian fashion trinket, BMW will really, really hate subsidizing it for the next 4 years.

That's when I swoop in and offer $34000 on a fully-loaded 3.0. Sounds like the 2000s version of the 8-series to me, except without the cachet. Speaking of cachet, I saw not one but three 850Ci's today. Checked the badge on the back of each too - 850Ci each time. Which was slightly disappointing to me, the eternal 8-series optimist, who's seen exactly one 850CSi in person.
 
M5Power
I have a quoted time of 9.2, so probably not. Still, think of that statement with as much thought as I gave it - very little. I'd bet the automatic 850 wagon wasn't exactly lightning either.
:lol:

M5Power
That's when I swoop in and offer $34000 on a fully-loaded 3.0. Sounds like the 2000s version of the 8-series to me, except without the cachet. Speaking of cachet, I saw not one but three 850Ci's today. Checked the badge on the back of each too - 850Ci each time. Which was slightly disappointing to me, the eternal 8-series optimist, who's seen exactly one 850CSi in person.

There is some guy who drives an 850CSi near where I live. In fact, almost every time I drive through New Rochelle (rare), I see that same car. :D
Isn't the V12 in that car related to the one in the McLaren F1?
 
MrktMkr1986
There is some guy who drives an 850CSi near where I live. In fact, almost every time I drive through New Rochelle (rare), I see that same car. :D

Consider yourself lucky - for the two years it was made (1994 and 1995) I believe they produced less than 2500 worldwide. I was in the market for a 'true sports car' a little while ago and checked on them to see pricing - a nationwide search of AutoTrader turned up precisely three, and one was yellow.

Isn't the V12 in that car related to the one in the McLaren F1?

I've heard that before - not sure though.
 
M5Power
Consider yourself lucky - for the two years it was made (1994 and 1995) I believe they produced less than 2500 worldwide. I was in the market for a 'true sports car' a little while ago and checked on them to see pricing - a nationwide search of AutoTrader turned up precisely three, and one was yellow.

Wow! :eek: Now that's limited edition!
By the way, the 850CSi that I see most of the time is white. I've never seen one in any other color in real life. The same white 850CSi over, and over. Still feeling lucky though! :D
You were going to buy one?! What stopped you!?
 
MrktMkr1986
:There is some guy who drives an 850CSi near where I live. In fact, almost every time I drive through New Rochelle (rare), I see that same car. :D
Isn't the V12 in that car related to the one in the McLaren F1?


No. It shares pretty much nothing with the McLaren F1 motor. The 5.6 in the CSi is a bored and stroked version of the run of the mill 5.0 liter V12 offered from '89-95. Other than capacity it differs from the base V12 in only small details, like cams, software and rev-limit. It is not a true M motor because it lacks the single throttle body per-cylinder practice typically employed by M.

BMW Motorsport (pre M) was developing a full blown "M8" with a detuned Big Mac engine as the centerpeice, but the board of directors scraped it.

I liked the 8-Series. But there was just too little going for it and building it just in time for a recession pretty much sealed its fate.


M
 
MrktMkr1986
You were going to buy one?! What stopped you!?

Maintenance, insurance, rarity, price, driveability. :D

Truthfully I found another car that suits me just as well and barring any unforseen developments I hope to get it in about six weeks (after the snow's mostly melted).
 
M5Power
Maintenance, insurance, rarity, price, driveability. :D

Truthfully I found another car that suits me just as well and barring any unforseen developments I hope to get it in about six weeks (after the snow's mostly melted).

Price? :lol: I know you can get it for under 100,000 USD! Right? Oh well I hope the next car is gonna be the on I am hoping you are gonna get. *cough * 96 NSX or Elise *cough*
 
pimp racer
Price? :lol: I know you can get it for under 100,000 USD! Right? Oh well I hope the next car is gonna be the on I am hoping you are gonna get. *cough * 96 NSX or Elise *cough*

$45000 for a ten-year-old car is a bit absurd - plus ownership costs. Gas would be difficult.
 
M5Power
$45000 for a ten-year-old car is a bit absurd - plus ownership costs. Gas would be difficult.
:lol: True but isnt that Lancia Delta older? :p
 
pimp racer
:lol: True but isnt that Lancia Delta older? :p

Yeah, but I think we've all kind of singled that out as 'mistake of the decade.' In fact it may have been the very worst investment ever made. By anyone. Ever.
 
Thank god you never bought a Prius. We'd never hear the end of it.
 
PublicSecrecy
Thank god you never bought a Prius. We'd never hear the end of it.

A Prius? Ha! I'm not stupid!
 
M5Power
Maintenance, insurance, rarity, price, driveability. :D

Truthfully I found another car that suits me just as well and barring any unforseen developments I hope to get it in about six weeks (after the snow's mostly melted).

What is it? ...if you don't mind my asking... :D

I see there is a turbocharged GMC Typhoon in your signature! How's it running?
 
MrktMkr1986
What is it? ...if you don't mind my asking... :D

I see there is a turbocharged GMC Typhoon in your signature! How's it running?
He doesnt get it until late Feburay.
 
Where on earth - I mean more specifically than 'Detroit' - do you get custom airbags made? I would figure that's a liability issue that no shop would touch for love nor money. Even sacks of money.
 
neon_duke
Where on earth - I mean more specifically than 'Detroit' - do you get custom airbags made? I would figure that's a liability issue that no shop would touch for love nor money. Even sacks of money.
Yeah thats a good question! I think a long time ago in the 90's some company got sued for this did they not?
 
Back