Help Me Plan My Car Life (new car search @post 290)

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 420 comments
Not bad. Found one on R32 GTR wheels, which works surprisingly well:

Toyota_MR2_W20_002.JPG

Came in here just to post the same thing. R32 GT-R wheels hold their value really well, probably because of the R32 craze and the fact they are commonly used as an all-around wheel. Common on five-stud swapped Civics and Integras-

VTEC-Club-Buttonwillow-Mike-Garrett-53-copy-1200x800.jpg

SVX
Came in here just to post the same thing. R32 GT-R wheels hold their value really well, probably because of the R32 craze and the fact they are commonly used as an all-around wheel. Common on five-stud swapped Civics and Integras-

VTEC-Club-Buttonwillow-Mike-Garrett-53-copy-1200x800.jpg

I really hate that there are nice DC2s out there because it reminds me that I don't have one. :lol:

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that if you're looking for something not sold in the States, I'd be happy to help you out. Importing a set would probably be far cheaper (and with the right wheel, potentially a return investment).

Shouldn't be too difficult to locate a set in the US these days now that the entire R32 line is open to importation and with them, all their parts owners are going to want brought in to maintain upkeep.

The R32 wheels are a good idea, but I don't think it's the wheel for me. I'm actually considering just wasting money on a cheap set of aftermarkets and considering it a splurge. I don't want to, but I'm having trouble finding just the right set.

A buddy of mine who is a many-times-over MR2 owner said that staggered wheels are not as important as the MR2 community claims. So maybe the integra type R wheels are worth another look. Here's an update of my to-do list.

- Get plates
- Figure out what to do about the rims because... stock is ugly (I have them) and those aftermarkets aren't great either
- PDR (about 12 tiny dings I counted a moment ago, none of which are visible in this shot)
- figure out why the shift boot isn't connected to the shift knob
- get the AC leak found and fixed
- install a battery disconnect
- install convex mirrors
- figure out why the trunk is just a little loose when it's closed
- replace aftermarket clutch
- buy a parking lift

View attachment 767446

My SW21 MR2!

Details: '93, NA, Manual, Cloth, 50kmi.

My to-do list:
- Get plates
- Figure out what to do about the rims because... stock is ugly (I have them) and those aftermarkets aren't great either
- PDR (about 12 tiny dings I counted a moment ago, none of which are visible in this shot)
- figure out why the shift boot isn't connected to the shift knob
- get the AC leak found and fixed
- install a battery disconnect
- install convex mirrors
- figure out why the trunk is just a little loose when it's closed
- buy a parking lift

That's about it! Not much of a list because this car is crazy clean. Interior is amazing, and stock. The paint is in wonderful shape. Car drives great.
Welcome to the world of SW20s. It's a busy one with these old cars. Even with low KMs they are getting old now.

Stock wheels are OK but lacking tyre choices. 16s are OK but 17s are best.
For sizes you can get The Firehawk Indy 500 in 205/45R16 and 225/50R16 but ideally you'd want 45 profile rather than 50 but the 50 is the same size as my 245/40R17. Makes the car a little slower but not too bad. But you have a 5SFE so not as powerful as mine.
Shift boots on the early cars connected to the factory knob with a ring. The later cars have a ring on the boot that sits on the gear lever ring. If it's not factory then you might have issues. Any photos?
Why do you need a battery disconnect? Is it draining it with the car just sitting?
For your trunk, maybe adjust the bump stops at each end of the lid or adjust the mounting point of the latch on the car.

A buddy of mine who is a many-times-over MR2 owner said that staggered wheels are not as important as the MR2 community claims. So maybe the integra type R wheels are worth another look. Here's an update of my to-do list.

Take a look at my car with the BBS wheels. These are 15x6.5+45 all round. It looks stupid even with the staggered tyre setup of 205 and 225. You might be able to get a square setup but to look any good the rear offset would have to be a lot lower or you get mad guard gap. So then the square setup becomes redundant. Toyota spent a lot of time and money figuring out that a staggered setup was needed so they went with it. The AW11 is square but the SW20 has a massive hunk on 3S/5S block in the back so has a lot more weight to keep in check.

Welcome to the world of SW20s. It's a busy one with these old cars. Even with low KMs they are getting old now.

Stock wheels are OK but lacking tyre choices. 16s are OK but 17s are best.
For sizes you can get The Firehawk Indy 500 in 205/45R16 and 225/50R16 but ideally you'd want 45 profile rather than 50 but the 50 is the same size as my 245/40R17. Makes the car a little slower but not too bad. But you have a 5SFE so not as powerful as mine.

After looking at it hard for the last few days and asking around (your inputs included), I think I'm resigned to at least get the factory rims reconditioned/powdercoated and get some rubber on them. I'm thinking maybe yokohama s.drives or toyo proxie R1Rs. That should give me an opportunity to get the 16s that are on there now moved out and to think about the options for 16s and 17s and figure out what I want.

I figure I can't go wrong with at least having a good factory setup in my back pocket.

Shift boots on the early cars connected to the factory knob with a ring. The later cars have a ring on the boot that sits on the gear lever ring. If it's not factory then you might have issues. Any photos?

I ultimately figured it out. It was a leftover ring from the PO aftermarket knob that was preventing the factory knob from going all the way on.

Why do you need a battery disconnect? Is it draining it with the car just sitting?

They all do. I'm planning on storing this car over the winter months (probably for 6-8 months straight each year, it has to share the summer with the NSX after all). I know from experience that with a battery disconnect I can go a month (or 8) without driving a car and it'll start right up when I reconnect. No fire risking battery tender needed.

Unfortunately PO had no idea that this radio has a security code, so I'm without a code to re-enable the radio if I install the disconnect. It's always something.

For your trunk, maybe adjust the bump stops at each end of the lid or adjust the mounting point of the latch on the car.

Yup. That was it.

Take a look at my car with the BBS wheels. These are 15x6.5+45 all round. It looks stupid even with the staggered tyre setup of 205 and 225. You might be able to get a square setup but to look any good the rear offset would have to be a lot lower or you get mad guard gap. So then the square setup becomes redundant. Toyota spent a lot of time and money figuring out that a staggered setup was needed so they went with it. The AW11 is square but the SW20 has a massive hunk on 3S/5S block in the back so has a lot more weight to keep in check.

Yea I tend to think that you're right. I should preserve the characteristics of the original as best I can.

IF you can access the Toyo tyres then thats good.

I keep forgetting about people storing cars over winter. We are lucky that we don't salt our roads and rust is less of an issue. Like I mentioned earlier I drive my car everyday all year round in all weather but it's far more mild in NZ where I live. Yes we get -20°c to +40°c or more in parts of the country but not where I am.

The OEM 15s are nice enough. I'd prefer them over a lot of wheels that are on SW20s. They could do with some decent sized spacers to make them look better but then they are only 6 and 7" wide. I have a set of those 15s that I restored but need to get tyre mounted to them.

Last edited:
Here's a list of tires that I have found so far that can actually go on the 15" stock rims.

Toyo Proxes R888R (barely meets street driving specs, not intended for rain)
G-Force Rival 1.5 (wrong size, uses 205/50 front 225/45 rear instead of 195/55 and 225/50, but seems like it might work anyway)
Falken Ziex ZE912 (all season)
Falken Ziex ZE512 (all season)

Uh... so far that's it! I haven't searched the off-size tires as much as stock sizes.

Hmmm not sure about those Falkens. Not that you will drive in the rain but you need something better.

Could buy some Motegi Tracklites in 17x7 and 17x8 with some Yokohama Sdrive in 215 and 235 with 40 profile.

Hmmm not sure about those Falkens. Not that you will drive in the rain but you need something better.

Could buy some Motegi Tracklites in 17x7 and 17x8 with some Yokohama Sdrive in 215 and 235 with 40 profile.

I'm pretty concerned about going to 17. The stock feel (or close to it) is part of what I want for this car. I think my best option at the moment is the rivals, even though the width is higher in the front. I'll keep researching though.

You could be right. Just keep in mind your front tyre will have a slightly bigger diameter than the rear which is opposite to the OEM setup however I ran 205/55R15 and 225/50R15 for a long time. The front was only 0.5mm in diameter larger but then the rears wore out in 18,000km vs the fronts at 36,000km so I was out anyway. They should be fine if it's only a dry weather summer tyre.

The stock feel is nice but so boaty. :sly: These BFG tyre might be better than the Toyo with soft side walls but then the ride will be stiffer if the BFG has a stiffer wall being more track orientated.

With 205/50 paired with 225/50 we have to add to the list:
- Kumo Ecsta Ast
- Toyo Proxes R1A
- Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R
Edit:
- Pirelli P Zero 86W (onlinetires.com)
- Pirelli P Zero Asimetrico

With 205/50 paired with 225/45 we have
- Toyo Proxes R1A
- Kumo Ecsta V720 (onlinetires.com)

The latter tire size comparison yields a more consistent diameter front-back, but is 3% off of the stock speedo. The former tire size is stock for the rear but 3% diameter difference front to back.

Last edited:
Best go with 205/50 and 225/50. The RA1 are really good tyres but I assume the P Zero would be very good too. The Khumo would be the less of a choice but budget might be an issue?
I've probably get the RA1, not too stiff an give great grip. Would handle the wet fine if you ever got caught in the rain.

Fronts are only 1.62% out vs stock and rears are stock.

The stock setup is only 1.73% difference so even if you are 3.3% out front to rear it doesn't matter.

So it looks like I'm gonna get a lift. I'm thinking this one:

HD-9ST-5.jpg

Bendpak HD-9ST

Who here owns a lift, and what do I need to know before buying one?

Thought for a sec you bought a Corvette and a Viper. Like dang, year just started. :lol:

Sadly no. I'm out of room for parking already. One of my cars lives outside at all times, and that hurts because I don't like repairing rodent damage to the electronics. I've got to get an extra parking spot, and that means I need to go vertical.

Update time. I'm planning my next car purchase. It's still probably at least a year out, but one has to get started early on these things. The next car requires another car lift ($4k) so it needs to be worth sinking that money into a parking spot for. Also this is my last parking spot for a while, so I need to make it count. In other words, I'm not likely to jump on a $2000 car to put on a $4000 lift. I came close enough to doing that with the MR2. So anyway, I naturally have come to the wise GTPlanet car aficionados for help in narrowing down my extensive car list. Here are the requirements:

Price: less than $300k. I'm casting a wide net here. I really optimally wouldn't want to go significantly north of $100k for reasons I'll explain in a bit. But I'm considering higher.
Requirements: Fun, less than 80k miles (this is for judging the price), and not likely to go down in value, will fit in a typical garage. I'm willing to consider 2-seaters, 2+2s, rear wheel drive, front wheel drive, AWD, front/mid/rear engine, trucks, SUVs, etc.

Bonus points for likely to rise in value.
Bonus points for low original MSRP (colorado taxes based on that).
Bonus points for low maintenance
Bonus points for low mileage (see price again)
Bonus points for no carburetor
Bonus points for left hand drive
Bonus points for does not need to be imported
Bonus points for non-turbo since I'm under the impression that turbos are difficult to store for extended periods.
Bonus points for hard top.

The "currently considering" list (in no particular order):
RX-7 FD
- Tons of maintenance here. I'd need to find one that had already been modified (silicone hoses, replacement electrical harness, etc) due to essentially poor initial construction by mazda.

Other RX-7
- It seems like if I'm going to get an RX-7, it should be the FD no?

E30 M3
- This is a great contender. The only issue I have with this is that I personally find it ugly. Otherwise it seems to be something of a sweet spot.

E30 M3 EVO III
- Seems likely to rise in value. Very cool car. Kinda ugly. Too rare and pricey to really enjoy on the road, so how badly do I want a car that I'll be afraid to drive?

E36 M3 Coupe
- Great car, they made too many perhaps. BMWs require lots of maintenance.

E36 M3 Sedan
- Great car. They made fewer of these than the coupe, although the coupe seems to be favored by buyers right now.

E46 M3 Comp.
- Great car. I love the E46. I even own one. The problem with this one is that I'm not just that in love with this M3. Something about the way the shifter feels kinda bugs me.

E92 M3 V8
- Maintenance issues here. It seems like a special car, but from all accounts they're hard to keep together. Also this is borderline too new.

RX8
- This one is sneaky. Especially if there were a special high performance version I might really want to go this route. I think there are fewer maintenance issues here than the FD. Maybe a 40th anniversary or Kuro, but it's the pre-refresh. So I'm not sure that's the right route.

Some kind of Rare Miata
- I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the world of miatas.

993 911
- Love it. Seems like tons of maintenance.

996 911
- Love it less than the 993, tons of maintenance.

997 911
- Awesome car, too new.

Lotus Elise
- I should probably put some kind of model or year information here. These don't seem to get love in the collectible category. I think this fits my particular driving style, but honestly I've got my driving style covered with my other cars.

Tesla Roadster
- I think this is bound to go up. By like an old fogie I'm afraid of battery longevity, and Tesla's outlook in general.

MkIV Supra
- Bubble? This one is scary. Also I don't love it.

MkIII Supra
- I dig this one. Price is a bit too low. I'm not sure about reliability.

Mk II Supra
- I kinda dig this one too. Same comments as above.

Mk 1 Supra
- This is not really my style.

280ZX
- Carburetor?

300ZX
- I like this option quite a bit. Price seems a bit low, but not too bad.

350Z
- I'm not sure I love this car. I think production numbers were high too.

NSX Zandardi (first gen)
- Probably what I should have bought in the first place. I don't know that I can have two almost identical NSXs, so I need to sell mine (I think), and that seems like a waste.

R34 Skyline
- RHD. Beautiful, I'd love it.

R32 Skyline
- RHD. Beautiful (though not as beautiful as the 34). I'd probably love it.

R32 Skyline NISMO
- See above.

R32 Skyline N1
- See above.

Cayman 987
- Might not be too new (pricewise). I'm not just loving the exterior.

Cayman 981
- Too new.

Cayman 718
- Way too new.

Boxster
- Convertible.

E28 M5
- I think I like the E34 better.

E34 M5
- I like it. I'm not sure I like it more than an M3, but it seems like a great option.

E39 M5
- Great car. Do I want it more than an M3?

E38 7 Series
- Dig it. But do I need that much car here?

Bently Continental GT
- I put this on the list mostly because of how much the Grand Tour guys like this car. I'm not sure it's quite my style but I could get into it. The problem with these is maintenance bills. How much do I care about that if I'm putting less than 1000 miles per year? Maybe not so much.

S2000
- Convertible.

Integra Type R
- Front wheel drive kinda limits the upside on this one. But I do like these cars. I liked my old RSX. Speaking of which.

RSX-S
- I loved my old one. Price upside seems to low with this car (so far).

Dodge Viper
- I'm not sure how much I like the styling of these, and I'm not sure that it particularly suits my driving style, but it is interesting.

3000GT
- I'm not sure I ever really got this car.

Lotus Esprit
- I don't know a lot about these.

=======================================================

Ruled out:
Z8
- This doesn't seem like my kind of car. I know that they're loved by the car collection world, but it's not the type that I particularly get. Is it trying to be sporty? Is it trying to be luxury? Is it trying to be showy? It doesn't seem to do any of those badly or particularly well.

C4
- By all accounts these are actually not that great to drive.

NSX (2nd gen)
- Too new.

R8 V8
- I should probably get the V10.

R8 V10
- Too new. Price likely to drop.

Nissan GT-R
- I really don't love this car. Production numbers were high.

BMW Z1
- I don't know what to make of this. Seems slow.

CRX
- I dig this but I think the upside on value is too low.

NSX Type R (first gen)
- Maybe out of my price range, doesn't seem like a good enough road car.

Pontiac G8
- Don't like the looks

Chevrolet SS
- Don't like the looks

BMW M-coupe
- Don't like the looks

BMW Z3
- Not a huge fan.

Last edited:
I would suggest either a Pontiac G8 GXP or a Chevy SS. Both tick most of your boxes (low maintenance, naturally aspirated, low MSRP, hard-top, left-hand drive, doesn't need to be imported), and I'd say they have potential for future appreciation. The G8 in particular since it's seen as a swan song for Pontiac before they shut down, though the SS has the advantage of being newer and having a nicer interior along with magnetic dampers. Granted, I don't think they'll ever get to crazy six figure values, but the G8 GXP is quite rare with only a little more than 1,800 being made for 2009 which might effect their worth in the future.

I would suggest either a Pontiac G8 GXP or a Chevy SS. Both tick most of your boxes (low maintenance, naturally aspirated, low MSRP, hard-top, left-hand drive, doesn't need to be imported), and I'd say they have potential for future appreciation. The G8 in particular since it's seen as a swan song for Pontiac before they shut down, though the SS has the advantage of being newer and having a nicer interior along with magnetic dampers. Granted, I don't think they'll ever get to crazy six figure values, but the G8 GXP is quite rare with only a little more than 1,800 being made for 2009 which might effect their worth in the future.

Good suggestions thanks. I can't do either of those because of the way they look (I've driven an SS), but your head is in the right place. I updated the post.

I've heard a lot of people talking about the future appreciation of the G8 and SS. I don't see it specifically because neither one is particularly good looking. Almost every single car that has appreciated has done so, in part, because of it's design. I made a post a while ago where I made the argument that long term price appreciation depends on these three factors:

1. Beauty
2. Rarity
3. Significance

Of your list, I think the Porsche 993 is the best candidate. Unfortunately they have already gone up pretty high, the rarer models are trading for some scary numbers (more on the 993 later). R34 is probably next, though prices are going to be extremely volatile, and its hard to predict where they will land. They aren't legal in California (and might never be without significant work), so it limits the resale market, somewhat. Some other candidates I think are compelling cases:

Porsche Boxster Spyder (987 model. These are a bargain at the moment. I've seen some for under $60k even. Surely they have enormous upside potential)

The trifecta of "last of the old school" Ferraris:
Ferrari F355
Ferrari 456GT (I've seen these for less than $50k! A V12 Ferrari with a gated shifter!)
Ferrari 550 (These, especially, are going to hit 7 figures in 20-30 years, I'm almost certain. I never understood why people didn't see these as absolutely beautiful when new...as they are starting to now)

I already suggested the Dodge Viper, primarily because they are so cheap now.

Mercedes CLK Black (First generation)
Mercedes SLS AMG (Gullwing doors! - These have stopped depreciating, from what I've seen)

Assorted Flotsam & Jetsam:
Alfa Romeo SZ - Either extremely ugly or extremely cool depending on your eyesight, but they appear to be gaining strength on the US Market. Not CA legal.

Lancia Delta Integrale - Been seeing these pop up for sale out in the Bay Area. Again, not CA legal, but should be a long term gainer for sure.

Subaru 22B? I have no idea what these are doing, and I've never seen one for sale in the US. But its gotta be a solid investment. In a similar vein....rarer versions of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V could be a strong investment.

Detomaso Pantera - Old and not EFI (though, they are frequently modified to have it). But they have an intriguing legacy and quite good to look at. Should be reliable as a tree stump too.

As a general piece of advice: I wouldn't worry too much about the maintenance on Porsches. They are generally well built cars and actually not too difficult to work on. This is especially true of the pre-996 cars. Parts are more than typical cars, but not orders of magnitude more. Engines can be expensive to repair or replace, but they are built well (with the exception of the IMS issues on the early water cooled cars) and take a lot of abuse.

I feel like I kind of missed the train on the 993 (I was still in college when they started to explode in value), but every time I see one I generally tend to think of it as the pinnacle or ultimate expression of sports cars. Modern enough to be genuinely good to drive and reliable, but not too modern to be disengaged, timelessly beautiful, pedigree. The 993 has it all, even in base Carrera 2 form. I still see a lot of them (I see several, daily) being daily driven out here in CA, so I gather they are durable and reliable as well. A Ferrari would be more special...but not as reliable. The Japanese cars are rewarding to drive...but I don't think as special to own ultimately.

Anyways, that's my full bag of pennies. :lol:

edit: This video made me pine so much for a 993 that I bought a 986 as a substitute:

So purposeful (size, cockpit, seating position, drivetrain layout, dynamics) and so, so beautiful at the same time.

Last edited:
Of your list, I think the Porsche 993 is the best candidate. Unfortunately they have already gone up pretty high, the rarer models are trading for some scary numbers (more on the 993 later).

That doesn't concern me too much. A car investor friend of mine once told me that he likes to buy cars on their way up rather than down, or at the floor. He told me that you can figure out that a car should appreciate and then scratch your head for years as it doesn't. If a 993 is the right car (and I honestly think it might just be), then rising prices won't put me off.

The only time it puts me off too much is when I think it might be a bubble, and the MkIV supra feels a bit like that.

Porsche Boxster Spyder (987 model. These are a bargain at the moment. I've seen some for under $60k even. Surely they have enormous upside potential)

Tell me a little bit about these and why they're better than the contemporary offering. I'll read up about it too. This is not something I was particularly aware of.

The trifecta of "last of the old school" Ferraris:
Ferrari F355
Ferrari 456GT (I've seen these for less than $50k! A V12 Ferrari with a gated shifter!)
Ferrari 550 (These, especially, are going to hit 7 figures in 20-30 years, I'm almost certain. I never understood why people didn't see these as absolutely beautiful when new...as they are starting to now)

Ferrari is so damned scary. I don't know if I have the manhood for that. They're certainly on the money for my list, so you're shaming me a bit for not considering it harder.

Mercedes CLK Black (First generation)

I'll have to look into it.

Mercedes SLS AMG (Gullwing doors! - These have stopped depreciating, from what I've seen)

The price trend still looks rough at the moment.

Assorted Flotsam & Jetsam:
Alfa Romeo SZ - Either extremely ugly or extremely cool depending on your eyesight, but they appear to be gaining strength on the US Market. Not CA legal.

Lancia Delta Integrale - Been seeing these pop up for sale out in the Bay Area. Again, not CA legal, but should be a long term gainer for sure.

Subaru 22B? I have no idea what these are doing, and I've never seen one for sale in the US. But its gotta be a solid investment. In a similar vein....rarer versions of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V could be a strong investment.

Detomaso Pantera - Old and not EFI (though, they are frequently modified to have it). But they have an intriguing legacy and quite good to look at. Should be reliable as a tree stump too.

These are all fair points, and none of them really capture my imagination. Maybe the subaru.

Last edited:
Are there any particular characteristics of a car that really trip your trigger @Danoff? Driver involvement? Engineering? Luxury? Power? Bang for the buck? Particular brand? I only ask because I think identifying those would help narrow things down a little more; I know when I was car shopping I thought casting a wide net would make things better, but looking back on it I think picking out what was most important to me would've made it a lot easier to find something that I was truly happy with.

Are there any particular characteristics of a car that really trip your trigger @Danoff? Driver involvement? Engineering? Luxury? Power? Bang for the buck? Particular brand? I only ask because I think identifying those would help narrow things down a little more; I know when I was car shopping I thought casting a wide net would make things better, but looking back on it I think picking out what was most important to me would've made it a lot easier to find something that I was truly happy with.

I'm not a big horsepower guy. It doesn't really get me riled up. But I think I can honestly get excited about a lot of different kinds of cars. Which is why my list includes a Bently and a CRX at the same time. Mostly I'm looking for something special. I like for cars to be very analog for the most part, but I'm willing to deviate from that. That doesn't narrow down the field much.

I think that the BMW E30 M3 might just be the perfect car except for its looks. It is appreciating steadily, many of them have a ton of miles on them (which means that miles are well tolerated on them from a value perspective). It's very analog and engaged. The 993 hasn't taken off like the M3, and the market for 911s is flooded and continues to get flooded. The 987 Spyder looks like just the sort of car I'd want, except that it's very new, so prices aren't rising. The Spyder is certainly far more attractive to me than the E30 M3.

The RX-7 is also a fair option. I think I could find some that modded for reliability, and they're certainly special from many perspectives. And beautiful too. I've always loved the RX-7. Always.

I think a shortened list looks like this:
RX-7
E30 M3

Last edited:
That's a good shortlist (I wouldn't mind that 3-car garage!). You should go find some examples to drive. Its a long shot, but you might check to see if any of them are available on Turo to rent for a few days.

It's a real shame Mazda hit a low point in quality during the FDs production run. First gen RX-7s, simple as they are, just feel like quality construction in a way that FDs don't. FDs feel like 90s Fords. :ouch:

Couple other random thoughts / extra suggestions (I still think the 993 is your best choice):

You mentioned 350z in your initial post. They are good cars (I've driven a few) but the quality is questionable and they are kind of all being consumed by the drift-missile scene. The Nismo 350z is special though, in my opinion. I was very close to buying one, but decided to get something cheaper. I don't love how it looks, but its more than just some stickers. The chassis is seam welded for added stiffness and has a host of other improvements I can't remember. They are generally pretty well taken care of as well. Again...not exactly good looking, but probably the best 350z to buy. Its hard not to see the 370z as a better car in basically every way, but the 350z is somehow more appealing to me.

A Toyota Tacoma X-Runner with a TRD supercharger (dealer-installed extra, was compliant with smog and warranty) might be a fun car to have around even if it doesn't immediately seem like your type of vehicle.

If you can find one, a 2000 Mustang Cobra R would be awesome. Probably the best driving Mustang before the 2015 models went on sale. The interior ergonomics are kind of garbage (why is the shifter so far away?) but the powertrain and chassis tuning are excellent. Factory side pipes must be worth something too, right? These interest me more than any other Mustangs.

Here's a weird suggestion: Find a 'legendary' tuner car in Japan and import it. The chances of being able to buy the FEED RX-7 togue car seem quite low, but maybe there is a DC2R Integra from some best motoring video kicking around in a garage somewhere in Tokyo. How cool would that be? I know that you don't like modified cars, and I think I understand why, but getting one that is "singular" (as in, not a bunch of random modifications thrown at a car for the 'gram) and considered might be different. Or maybe not. :lol:

Some ideas, and comments on what you've already suggested (just based on what I've noticed with the American import scene, and what's going on in Japan).

R34 Skyline
- RHD. Beautiful, I'd love it.

Ultimately the buy in is a little high for what they are. May keep value? IMO when they are legal for import, only the more rarer trims will keep - I suspect the plane janes will devalue. There is the idea of a GT-T - these are quite a lot cheaper, but one of the more affordable cars so may rise in value quite a lot just due to demand.

R32 Skyline
- RHD. Beautiful (though not as beautiful as the 34). I'd probably love it.

I would say the boat on these have sailed long ago. You're crossing over into R33 model year legality now, so supply is getting smaller - and the ones that are actually worth money/worth importing are being bought or have a premium to show for it. I would buy one of these later down the line when they (IMO) will have their bubble burst.

R32 Skyline NISMO
- See above.

These should hold value a lot better. Old logo NISMO is hot hot hot topic at the moment, has been for a few years. Will always have that demand as it's one of the brand poster childs - eg. Spoon, Mugen, etc.

R32 Skyline N1
- See above.

Good luck finding one - could get your money back on it but you're probably looking at triple the price of a regular R32 for no real appreciation or bonus to you. I would spend the money on a modified R32.

3000GT
- I'm not sure I ever really got this car.

I don't see these ever really appreciating.

Other's suggestions

These are going up in price pretty rapidly if we start talking Evolutionzes. I think I saw a couple pass through Canepa for 200k or thereabouts. Importing from Japan (haven for everything Italian, pretty much) would be a good bet.

I think slightly going up. A few have come past lately.

pic

11,000km, start price of 6980 000 JPY ($64k USD). Very unoriginal - missing the 22B specific gearbox too.

14124557_670225203153488_1251280368329372836_o.jpg

Higher mileage one and not great condition that sold in 2016 - sold for 9 075 000 JPY ($84k USD).

RS variants are a good buy if you can find one worth buying. They were competition spec, so a lot of them are unoriginal, and have been used as track cars - a lot of cases I have seen with ruined bushings and the like. Wouldn't be great to street either.

Speaking of Evos though, Evos I - III are what I would jump on. They are fairly old and didn't make nearly as many as the successive models, so harder to find. Would be worth finding original ones to preserve. Evo IVs and the like are easier so I wouldn't imagine as much in it from an appreciation standpoint.

Here's a weird suggestion: Find a 'legendary' tuner car in Japan and import it. The chances of being able to buy the FEED RX-7 togue car seem quite low, but maybe there is a DC2R Integra from some best motoring video kicking around in a garage somewhere in Tokyo. How cool would that be? I know that you don't like modified cars, and I think I understand why, but getting one that is "singular" (as in, not a bunch of random modifications thrown at a car for the 'gram) and considered might be different. Or maybe not.

This idea could work. With the whole resurgence in Yahoo Auction Proxies, stuff like old-logo NISMO, Spoon, Mugen parts have easily tripled in price for no concealable reason.

41461672_1393320590771111_4138864794071465984_o.jpg

Just the cluster commanded over a $5k winning bid. If you found an OG car, it would be a good buy.

I would also suggest something like a Nismo 400R - their buy in is a bit lower compared to the 22Bs (I think in part of the distaste towards R33s in general), but I think would slowly creep in value. 44 made.

I would also suggest a JDM Integra Type R. Honda guys pay big, big money for JDM stuff. Half the time they convert their cars to RHD, so something like a legit RHD DC2 Type R would be good money. These become legal in '96, so buying one and storing it now would be advisable as they'll be something coming in troves. 1998 spec would be the most valuable, but these are rarer cars in general, so the rarity if offset by a kinda high bid in price. You also have the DB8 Type R, which is the factory Type R sedan that they only made 2000 or so of. These are legal in 1996 as well, but I'm not sure if they will ever hold the same demand as the sedan chassis doesn't have nearly as much love.

Also one to look out for will be EK SiRs which become legal next year. Late 95 (I think Sept) was their production year, and would be highly desirable. Not a Type R so the bid in price is a lot lower and a lot easier to find original. Would be a fun car with the factory B16 (also optionally equipped with an LSD, or factory on an SiR II). EK9s also become legal in 96 but these are already appreciating pretty high just due to less and less of them existing thanks to Kanjo crews and the like.

SVX
I would also suggest something like a Nismo 400R

S2r6X0A.jpg

I'll look into it. But RHD though... maybe I should get over that because...

Ok so hear me out here. I'm finding myself this morning thinking of doing something super crazy, and going for the E30 M3 Evo III.

BMW-M3-E30-750x406.jpg

As far as I know, there are none for sale. I'm guessing that (I don't know if it even makes any sense to say this but) "a good one" would go for $150k-$200k. Probably at auction, since that's how these ultra-rare cars tend to go.

But let's think about it for a second, in terms of value, are these going down? Uh... no I don't think so. By all accounts it's a phenomenal car. Probably somewhat scary to own but not as scary since it's so rare that it would remain desirable even after some damage.

Would I drive one on the street? Yea I think I could drive it on the street, but not a ton. That's ok though, I have too many cars to drive any of them a ton. I was wondering if I would even register it, or even in what state would I register it.

In terms of driving experience, it's right up my alley. Looks? Well there are prettier cars, but do I really need that? Value? Yes it seems like it has a lot of upward potential and I actually don't see a lot of downward potential. But if I'm thinking about owning a car whose value is so high that I barely put it on the street, maybe I need to consider RHD some more.

Edit:

Hey, one is actually for sale. Apparently there is a glut:

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=5628&form_display=51
http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=5657&form_display=51
http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=5796&form_display=51

Last edited:
The Nismo 400R idea is hot. I've actually always liked the R33...I think it has the nicest interior of the three. Did MCR or Mines actually make a series run of their special Skylines? Or were they all one-offs? An MCR or Mines R34 would be like unicorn status. Can you imagine the price in 20 years of a Mines R34? How about an RE Amemiya RX-7? Spoon Integra?

Back