Help Me Plan My Car Life (new car search @post 290)

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 420 comments
Which is a better driver's car - E46 M3 SMG or a current Porsche Cayman S DSG?

I have NO idea since I haven't driven one or read countless reviews.. But personally I'd buy an E46 SMG and drive it. Every day of the year.

The E46 sounds better... :D ...terrific engine, that.

The E46 would make a better daily driver, has two rear seats for emergencies, and would still more than satisfy your urge on the racetrack.

Only thing is the SMG is pretty clunky in around-town driving.

Test drove an E46 330i with too many miles recently. It was my first time driving a BMW.

I liked it, it handled well, decent power, good brakes. The throttle will take some getting used to as it doesn't take you seriously for the first bit of travel. This '05 BMW interior was not as good as my '03 Acura interior though. I'm a bit surprised that BMW doesn't get more dings on interior styling.

Regardless, I think this is the car for me. Now to just find a good one. I'm being extremely picky, too picky. I'm looking for less than 40k miles, and non-black interior (ZSP or ZHP). I'd like to eliminate wood trim too, but it's so pervasive in this car that I think I may have to suck it up. I found two relatively close to me that fit this description, but they have wood trim and some of my least preferred exterior color options. So I'm hoping for something better. This is going to take forever.

Test drove an E46 330i with too many miles recently. It was my first time driving a BMW.

I liked it, it handled well, decent power, good brakes. The throttle will take some getting used to as it doesn't take you seriously for the first bit of travel. This '05 BMW interior was not as good as my '03 Acura interior though. I'm a bit surprised that BMW doesn't get more dings on interior styling.
Still one of my biggest qualms with BMW. Was present in my 3, my 5, and the new 3. :irked:

I'm a bit surprised that BMW doesn't get more dings on interior styling.

BMW interiors aren't really the best out there. It's my complaint about new BMWs, too.. at least the cheaper models.

Been a long time without updates here!

I'll say a 370/350Z with or without DSG, but then I like learning technical things and hate any kind of automatic/semi-automatic with a passion.

Alright, I found one (2004 330i) sitting on a used car lot in Oregon. It's not a ZHP, but it's a ZSP with only 30k mi and seems to be in fantastic condition (carfax checks out) with lots of good options including a lack of wood interior and at a good price. Only problem, it's in Oregon.

I'm having them take it to the BMW dealership to do an independent inspection for me. If it passes the inspection they're going to ship the car to me. The shipping is insured. I've driven pretty much this exact car, so I know I'm going to like the vehicle. So here's my question to you guys - how do I get screwed in this transaction other than them selling the car out from under my nose while I'm waiting for the BMW appointment next Monday?

I've checked all the options. It was owned in california and should pass emissions. The BMW dealership knows I'm not going to see the car in person so they're doing a visual inspection of the exterior as well. I think I'm basically covered, but I'm stressing out about the prospect of buying a car that I haven't been physically present to see.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? I would literally pay an extra $4k for this vehicle, so a lot can go wrong with it before I'm going to feel ripped off.

My only thought is that even if its the same model car you've driven before, something within its mechanical bits could cause it to drive differently? Something the inspection doesn't pick up, or maybe just emotional feelings during first drive in this particular car?

Regardless, best of luck on the purchase. 👍

Well, the dealership is going to drive the vehicle during the checkout. So hopefully anything wrong will be picked up during that test drive.

I still just get the impression that I'm missing something. Can't figure out what though. The dealership is going to be more likely to figure out anything wrong with the car than I would be. Presumably they could strip the car of anything valuable after the dealership gave me a clean bill of health and then ship me something totally unlike what was certified at the dealership. I'd have to sue the used car lot in that scenario, but I seriously doubt they'd try to get away with something like that.

The car could get damaged in shipping and the shipping company could refuse to acknowledge it, which would cause me to get into a fight with them - but people ship their cars when they move all the time, and this is a risk they take.

I'm struggling to come up with a credible scenario where I get screwed - but it feels like there is one that I'm not thinking of. I'm still worried they're going to sell it while I'm waiting for the appointment, but there isn't much I can do about that.

Just don't break a leg climbing on the barge.

top-gear-bolivia-1.jpg

Does that car have service records at all? For a car that's only been driven on average 5000 miles a year, there might be certain issues if the car hasn't been driven or started regularly. Also, I don't know if the BMW dealer will do it or if you've already asked them to, but you could ask for paint metering to be done on all of the outside to see if anything has been repainted (read: been in an accident). The inspection should pick up on that kind of stuff, otherwise I can only think of the dealership not checking thoroughly enough.

Good luck on your purchase, I think you will really enjoy it 👍

I'm struggling to come up with a credible scenario where I get screwed - but it feels like there is one that I'm not thinking of. I'm still worried they're going to sell it while I'm waiting for the appointment, but there isn't much I can do about that.

You are trusting the tech who performs the PPI to apply the same standards as you would if you were there in person.

If the tech is diligent and does his job right --treating the car as if it were going to be his own, then you shouldn't have any issues. But you really have no guarantee. There are some good techs out there, but there are some pretty crap ones too. And working at a dealer is no guarantee. I've had a 20+ year BMW master tech tell me something completely wrong to my face.

Did you book a typical 1 hour PPI including a road test? Or something more comprehensive?

Here's a couple of thoughts: Did the car belong to a smoker? It's nearly impossible to get the smell entirely out. Your tech should be checking for that when he opens the door and starts the car.

Is he going to take some additional photos while he's going over the car? There might be some cosmetic issues the seller isn't disclosing and isn't apparent in the pics you've seen. For example, the driver's side bolster on E46s have a tendency to wear poorly. But most photos don't show the inside of the bolster.

If I remember correctly, a ZSP 330i should have a full use spare. Unless he's incompetent, the tech should check to see if there is good tread on the tire. But he probably won't make sure the production date isn't over 5 years. If the spare's never been used, then you have a 7 year old tire in the trunk which is a safety hazard.

I presume the tech will perform any open recalls and TSBs on the car while it's in their possession. But you should also double check that will be the case ...and probably get it in writing.

Are you getting all the manuals and keys? There should be four. Two main, one valet and a wallet.

Better go over the rear subframe with a fine tooth comb.

I would ask a lot of specific questions, rather than assuming the tech is going to do everything for you. Especially if you are a detail oriented person like me, which I'm pretty sure you are ;)

Good luck with it. Btw, what color is it?

M

PM'd the link.

Steel Blue with Grey interior and aluminum trim.

The smoker question is an excellent one. I'll definitely make sure to ask that. I booked the standard PPI with the road test. I made sure to have them make a note of the fact that the buyer won't be seeing the car in person. So hopefully they won't take things for granted assuming that I'm comfortable with them. That being said, specific questions are good.

From the photos I've spotted a little road rash on the rims. I'm not too terribly concerned about recalls getting done in Oregon. I could always have that done locally. Anything specific about the rear I should be worried about?

Last edited:
Non-smoker. BMW has been instructed to check for that anyway. I also went ahead and bumped their inspection up to include checking for replaced paint and body panels. They said that according to the records the subframe has not been bolstered by BMW, and that BMW is no longer performing that service. So I guess I'll have to get it done somewhere else (or perhaps just pay for it from the dealership) if I get the car.

The seller claims he's holding the car for me. I'm starting to think this might actually happen.

That's great.

Not important, but I'm fairly certain that car is Silver Gray (silbergrau) and not Steel Blue (stahlblau). The color placard should be on the driver's side shock tower. /anal ex-BMW guy

M

It's really hard to tell from the photos, and from what I've heard about Steel Blue, it can look very different in different lighting conditions. In some of the photos I can almost make out a little blue. I'm fine with either one though, so it works out. :)

Inspection is done with. Brake pads are low (whatever), rotors are thin (ok), the sunroof visor is off of its track and the sunroof won't fully open (no biggie), and the control arm bushings are loose.

As best I can tell, the control arm is a common problem, and a replacement on the control arm pair costs about $600-$700 at the dealership. A lot of people are doing it themselves because it's apparently an "easy" job. But if it's so easy, why compare it to a dealership? I've got a guy down the street who can probably do it for a reasonable price.

So anyway, I think I'm gonna buy this one. :D

How about an Evo 10 MR? That has some sort of paddle shifted transmission, but it will cost you in maintenance, as I've heard Evos need more servicing than a normal car.

But the benefits are that you get four doors, four wheel drive, and some decent trunk space.

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that you settled on what you want. Good luck with your purchase!

I have the car.

It's here, it's awesome, I love it. Still waiting on the damned title though, and once I get that I have to survive the California emissions test. Then I can finally be a proper owner.

Everything looks just as it did in the photos with one notable exception. As with the photos, there is still a little scrape way under the front fender that just needs a little touchup paint - but that nobody will notice. Also noticeable in the photos, there is some very minor road rash on the wheels. However, not noticeable in the photos, there are slight creases in the trunk lid near the rear windshield. The creases are symmetrical on both sides of the trunk. It looks like it might have been a spot for a bike rack, not sure. I'm looking into getting some money back from my dealership inspection because of the fact that they missed the damage to the trunk.

Otherwise the car rocks. '04 silver ZSP with 30k mi in excellent mechanical condition for a good price. Here's my list of things to do:

- Touch up the bottom of the front fender
- Replace front brake pads and rotors
- Replace front tires
- Replace engine oil
- Bend the tips of the trunk lid into shape
- Buy and install a bluetooth system for the stereo

If that costs me less than $4,000 I've made out ahead.

Very very nice! I wanted a 330i but I couldn't find any ZSPs at all, and ZHPs commanded too big a premium. Enjoy and post pics when you can.

Thanks,

Noticed one more thing to go on the to-do list while checking out the car this morning - it needs a window tint. Pictures will be coming.

Nice! Congrats! I was wondering what happened to you getting the 3 series. I'm glad to hear that you have it and are enjoying it so far.

I look forward to your pictures 👍

Latest Posts

Back