Help Me Plan My Car Life (new car search @post 290)

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 420 comments
Another issue with the NSX is the 2-tone paint. I don't think I could handle that, so I'd need to pick one up that was a single color (custom paint or black) or paint it myself. Another issue is that the car is a bit flashier than I wanted to go. I think red or yellow would be out of the question. So I either have to find a silver/blue one or paint it myself. Not sure what a custom paint job does for a "collectible" car. The other issue is wheels. I'd want a set of the OEM wheels and I'd keep them around, but I can't see ever driving the car with those on. So if I picked up an NSX and it didn't come with decent custom wheels, I'd have to buy some. Basically the one I want has already been posted in this thread.
That's hot.

Custom paint and custom rims add to the price and possibly paint detracts from resale.
The 2-tone thing is weird. It may only be the 1 color, but I'm seeing a lot of pre-1995 NSX's in either solid red or red w/ black top.

It's a shame you don't want red or 2-tone though. This model is in great condition & a good price for the mileage. Essentially, this car is still in its prime.
1993 Acura NSX; $35K/45K Odo

BTW, would a NSX-T model bother you any? Plenty of those in solid colors. Finding a few silver ones.
The last two NSX models I saw for sale, both were Acuras, had stickers above $70K. Seems like one was a 2001 Targa and the other was a slightly older Hardtop. Both had less than 30K on the clock, and both seemed to be pretty well maintained.

...Before that, the last used NSX I came across was a pretty early model, a 1992 or 1993, in red. I have no idea what the mileage was, but they were asking $24K on the dealer lot at the time, and that was about 2007 or so.
Any of the NSX's sporting the facelift are going to be pricey. They were expensive new & a lot of guys still want that money back. Thing is, it's an NSX, so they may just get a nice chunk of change for it.

If danoff wanted that look though, there are kits that can make the older models look a lot newer.

Funny, the Korean 4-banger makes more power than that NSX engine. Good luck finding your NSX. the only ones I've ever seen around here were at the Honda dealership in Ft. Lauderdale. And it was a silver acura like the one you posted.

You guys are saying "this one was an Acura" and such like they were sold as Honda's here...I thought we only had them as the Acura NSX?

Danoff, I wouldn't even consider painting one of these, especially not just because you don't like the factory 2-tone or whatever. You want to consider hurting resale, that's a good way to do it on anything. You'll never have paint as good as factory. And as far as custom wheels hurting the sale, just buy one with stock wheels and keep them put up, as you said.

For as broad as your budget is (and your ideas for even getting one or multiple cars), this has got to be one of the pickiest threads ever. :lol:

Funny, the Korean 4-banger makes more power than that NSX engine. Good luck finding your NSX. the only ones I've ever seen around here were at the Honda dealership in Ft. Lauderdale. And it was a silver acura like the one you posted.

Which naturally aspirated Korean 4-banger is making over 300hp?

The only downside of that is that I'd probably occasionally want to grab 1st on that road to power out of a low speed turn - and I probably will refuse to do so.

Good. 1st shouldn't be selected on any car unless you are absolutely immobile at the time.

Not sure what a custom paint job does for a "collectible" car.

Ruins the value, I'm afraid. Car collectors are "numbers-matchers". They don't even tolerate non-standard tyres. If the VIN says it's red and black, it'd better be red and black - and the right shades of each.

You guys are saying "this one was an Acura" and such like they were sold as Honda's here...I thought we only had them as the Acura NSX?

North America did only get the NSX sold new as an Acura, yes.

You'll never have paint as good as factory.

I'd take issue with that statement - especially with reference to a Japanese manufacturer's factory. It's relatively easy, for not a massive amount of money (at least not by comparison with the purchase price of an NSX) to have above-factory-quality paint. The collectors won't tolerate it, but you can improve on it.

Ruins the value, I'm afraid. Car collectors are "numbers-matchers". They don't even tolerate non-standard tyres. If the VIN says it's red and black, it'd better be red and black - and the right shades of each.

I'm afraid that may be a deal-breaker. There are a number of ways to get stock single-tone paint:

- Get a black one
- Get a 1995+ model
- Get a Honda

1995+ is going to be too expensive (and 100 lbs heavier). Honda is going to be too expensive and wrong-hand drive... and... well... I don't want a black one.

The other option is to paint it and then paint it back. That's risky (gotta find the right colors 30 years from now) and expensive. Maybe I don't need to worry about whether it can get into my garage without bottoming out after all.

Eric
For as broad as your budget is (and your ideas for even getting one or multiple cars), this has got to be one of the pickiest threads ever.

I'm trying to find a car I can live with for 30 years - I think I'm allowed to be picky. Maybe the answer will end up being that I can't find one and need to re-think my strategy.

I'll just straight up say that unless you're some eco hippie with an empty pocket or one of those cool 60 year old dudes that restored his childhood muscle car, you can't live with the same thing for 30 years.

I prefer modifying my car. When I get tired of the way it is, instead of selling it and getting something else I just change it up a little bit. It's a 91 RX7...but now it's low and stiff like a modern sports car. Or, now it's faster, or it makes a different noise, etc. But that's just me, I'm young and can deal with a car that's not the most comfortable thing in the world or doesn't have the shiniest paint. The cool factor is through the roof, however.

Get a Civic. With your new car budget you'll be able to install new parts on that Civic every single day for 30 years and never drive the same car twice. :lol:

I'm afraid that may be a deal-breaker. There are a number of ways to get stock single-tone paint:

- Get a black one
- Get a 1995+ model
- Get a Honda

1995+ is going to be too expensive (and 100 lbs heavier). Honda is going to be too expensive and wrong-hand drive... and... well... I don't want a black one.
Not really....Found a 2000 model w/ 49,000 miles listing for $34K. Right under him is a 1995 model with 75K listing for $35K.
'Nother example is a red 1997 NSX-T w/ 31K for $44,900. Below him is an identical model, but a 1998 mode, retailing for $44,999 w/ 56,500 miles.

The market for this car is on all sorts of levels. Your best bet is to set your budget & dig through them because you're going to see all sorts of mileage & prices varying though the same model year.

As noted before, you'll probably have to buy a NSX-T model for a single color. Formula Red seems to be the only solid color available for pre-95 models.

The only other advice I can give is to just go through this if you haven't already.
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Page

The links on here will break down almost any question you'll have besides how to find the color finish you want.

Also not really on this too. They sold the Honda NSX in leftie in mainland Europe as far as I'm aware. I can't believe nobody would have thought to import one.

You might be right on the expense though, but that's just why you should buy sooner rather than later.

Ok, somebody convince me that the E46 330i is not the perfect car for me to use as a daily-driver. I'm concerned about how long it's going to take me to find one with low enough mileage with the sport appearance front end.

Edit:

Here's the breakdown:
- It's cheap
- It's hot
- Outhandles the others
- good gas mileage
- 200+ hp
- JD Power reliability is excellent
- They're a dime a dozen out here, so the cops won't pick on me
- I've wanted one since forever

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't do that. I had one & loved it. However, how much will it cut into your funds that you want to put towards the weekend car?

I'm afraid I can't do that. I had one & loved it. However, how much will it cut into your funds that you want to put towards the weekend car?

None. $20-25k is the budget for the commuter, that's about what these go for. Again, provided I can actually find one.

Damn, that's not what you're supposed to say. Ok, now you have to tell me how to find one. My requirements are simple:

- E46
- <40k mi
- Sport package front end (the one with the brake vents)

That's it. As best I can tell there are only two that fit that description in the entire US (on autotrader)... both are on the east coast, and one of those is red.

Damn, that's not what you're supposed to say. Ok, now you have to tell me how to find one. My requirements are simple:

- E46
- <40k mi
- Sport package front end (the one with the brake vents)

That's it. As best I can tell there are only two that fit that description in the entire US (on autotrader)... both are on the east coast, and one of those is red.
I assume this is the front end you're looking for?
1001592mr0.jpg

I'll do some digging in my parts. Seen a few of these fitting your needs, popping up every so often.

Good choice Danoff, one thing worth noting, I dont know what the roads are like round your way but if you go for the sport although it looks and handles better the ride quality does suffer a bit with the bigger wheels and lower suspension.

Im actually considering trading my Evo in for an E90 330i, they are starting at £9-12,000 in the uk

If you're talking bumpy, I can usually handle that, my RSX-S was supposedly too stiff to drive for long, and I had no trouble with it. If you're talking about following ruts or torquing the wheel after a bump, that's no good.

If you're talking bumpy, I can usually handle that, my RSX-S was supposedly too stiff to drive for long, and I had no trouble with it. If you're talking about following ruts or torquing the wheel after a bump, that's no good.

It will follow ruts a bit more due to the larger tyres but I would say just a bit more bumpy in general.

The wider and lower-profile a wheel/tire is, the more it's susceptible to tramlining. Front-wheel drive makes it even worse. Limited slip on those front wheels will make it even worse. My cousin's old Cobalt SS was like wrestling a bear while driving normally down heavily rutted roads, but then you'd hit the gas and...well now I've gone through three ridiculous descriptions but none of them really convey the desperate struggle for straight-ahead.

I've been through the worst so I can tell you the Bimmer won't be bad at all. If you've never experienced it before it'll be annoying at first but besides that it's a non-isssue.

EDIT: On the topic of front ends, this is definitely my favorite E46 front end:

bmw-3-series-318-318i-saloon-petrol_2028717.jpg

Last edited:
Bear-wrestling... with one diesel front-driver and one with sticky tires and an LSD, I'm intimately familiar with Boris. :lol:

The 330i sounds like an excellent choice. My only nit with the E46 is the terrible back seat and the poor economy in traffic... but since you're mostly highway, that's not a problem, I guess.

Good choice Danoff, one thing worth noting, I dont know what the roads are like round your way but if you go for the sport although it looks and handles better the ride quality does suffer a bit with the bigger wheels and lower suspension.

Im actually considering trading my Evo in for an E90 330i, they are starting at £9-12,000 in the uk
As far as my past BMWs have concerned me, the M Package is a much better option to have if possible. It may be a little stiffer, but the turning is much tighter & if you take your hands off the wheel, the car is just as stable and straight as can be. Without the package, you can do it, but the wheel still shakes a bit. Car still rides over rougher roads very well, imo.

I had the M Package on my 330, didn't have it on my 5, & just got it back on my 328i. Huge difference & much better imo. I think Danoff will appreciate it much more to have it on there.

The 330i will feel refined beyond belief compared to the RSX-S, from what I've experienced.

The 330i is a good choice, Danoff, and I think you will enjoy it immensely.

Now when you say that you want the Sport package front end, are you looking for the ZSP sport package or the ZHP performance package? The picture that McLaren posted is the ZHP performance package, and for that generation, about as close to a 4 door M3 as you can get from the factory. The ZHP has some engine enhancements and the suspension is suppose to be pretty heavily revised. I've read from owners that the ride is kind of rough, but the car is that much better to drive over the regular 330i.

If you read Wikipedia's section on Trim Levels, it will give you a bit more detail on the ZHP vs. ZSP packages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E46)

Finding a ZHP itself isn't too hard, but finding one that has <40k miles... Yeah, good luck with that... I've only found one coupe like that on the West Coast in Los Angeles.

As far as my past BMWs have concerned me, the M Package is a much better option to have if possible. It may be a little stiffer, but the turning is much tighter & if you take your hands off the wheel, the car is just as stable and straight as can be. Without the package, you can do it, but the wheel still shakes a bit. Car still rides over rougher roads very well, imo.

I had the M Package on my 330, didn't have it on my 5, & just got it back on my 328i. Huge difference & much better imo. I think Danoff will appreciate it much more to have it on there.

I have driven the different versions but I haven't owned them like yourself, you will be able to give a better comparison than me.

The ideal solution is for Danoff to test drive both versions himself if possible.

At least the ZSP package is a must, and a ZHP if you can find it. I'm not sure of the ZSP has that same fascia or not. Do you want an automatic for the daily? If so, automatic ZHPs are rare. They exist, but they are not common in an already not common option package.

I actually really wanted a 330i ZHP when I ended up with a 325i ZSP. I just couldn't justify the $5000-$8000 upcharge for the better car. That was almost 4 years ago, though, and the ZHPs can be found for what I paid for my 325i. For a daily driver that is going to get used up as a commuter device, I would NOT pay the premium an M-car is going to require.

I don't know what the E46 coupe back seat is like, but my E46 sedan back seat handles two young adults (14 and 18) with no problem. With your RSX-s serving well, I can't imagine you'll have back seat issues.

Don't buy any E46 older than 2003 because they had overboosted power steering and have no road feel. I thought ///M-Spec was exaggerating this until I drove one.

Look on BMW USA's website, too. You can search dealer inventory nationwide. I bought my 325i as a CPO lease return and got a great deal on a 30-month-old car with under 25,000 miles on it.

I honestly can't tell whether the 330i ZSP has the front lip I'm looking for (edit: see below). But I'm pretty sure that the 325i didn't have it in any form. I'd be looking for an automatic ZHP sedan - not at all common.

It looks like reliability falls way off at 2003 as well. So with that (and Duke's comments) I'd be looking at 2004 or 2005. Based on the comparison below, I think the ZSP would be sufficient. I'd prefer the ZHP, but ZSP seems to be more common, and I think the front end is similar enough. Too bad it gives up horsepower.

ZHP
body_exterior_e46_zhp_1.jpg

ZSP
17494153339.274344251.IM1.02.565x421_A.561x421.jpg

Regular
BMW%200011.jpg

Last edited:
Another E46 recommendation from me. My best mate is on his second (had a 318i for five years, and has just bought a 320d M-Sport manual) and they're excellent cars. Sport package ones are brilliant in the corners, and ride isn't bad at all (even on the crappy UK back roads we went out on). To be fair anything feels like a limo after my Miata but when he took me out in the 320d it felt quiet, smooth, refined, quick, nimble... virtually everything you could want from a daily driver.

A 330i would, I presume, be all of the same, just a bit quicker and more tuneful.

I would say the Cayman, since it's a proper mid-engine sports car. Plus I don't remember hearing great things about the SMG in the M3. But this is from my limited knowledge.

Which is a better driver's car - E46 M3 SMG or a current Porsche Cayman S DSG?

I'd trust the long-term reliability of the DPK gearbox in a Porsche over that of the pretty so-so SMG box that was in the BMWs. My understanding has always been that the BMW SMG box was at or near the bottom of the chain, right next to the generally terrible Maserati CambioCorsa 'box. Neither really knew what they were doing. Thankfully, Porsche has had some practice with dual clutch boxes in the past, and with VW being their supreme overlords now, they get some guidance from the DSG program as well.

Back