Help me throw my crutches away

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brewsir
  • 46 comments
  • 3,128 views
OMG yes the M3 CSL is absolutely stunning to drive.. how's the M3 GTR road car compared to that? I've never had the luck to see it in my ucd yet..

I dunno, I've been looking for the M3 GTR road car to come through. I've only seen it once and I didn't have the credits at the time unfortunately. I've been on a bit of a BMW kick after I got the CSL though so I've got some money stashed away for next time I see it 👍
 
most new cars in real life have traction control... i.e. most super cars. you can look up car facts to see. i personally use traction control 1 & abs 1...unless im drifting then i use only ABS 1.
 
I suggest using the Acura NSX it handles like a dream, its a little slow but it does handle youll hit apexes and if the back end does let go it is still very controllable even on a DS3 with a smoke in hand :P
 
Something else I'm curious about. When driving with all the aids off, my steering wheel sometimes wants to turn back and forth, sometimes to the point of causing a wreck. Is this realistic. I'm hoping it is, because I don't want to turn forcefeedback off. Then again, I want it to stop. Maybe too hard on the brake or accelerator?

Are you talking about when you totally take your hands off the steering wheel? And the wheel just goes back and forth? That's not realistic in a street car, even a modified one. Perhaps on a full-on race car it might be. If you're talking about a level of resistance or just a different steering feel when you are accelerating or slowing down, then yes that's more or less normal and realistic.

I personally have FFB dialed down to 1. For most cars, having it at anything above 3-4 is unrealistically strong and seems to wear out the wheel motor.
 
4WD is too easy with nothing but abs1, choose a medium powered FR car and start with super sticky tyres and slowly work your way back until you get to sports hard and can be smooth. Best to throw yourself in the deep end your lap times will get better and better.
 
I drive with no aids at all, not even any ABS, you'll get none of that ABS = 1 crap from me ... I never really had much problem switching to no aids at all, ABS was a suprisingly easy transition after a couple of laps of the Nurburgring ... Now I can win online quite frequently in cars that are relatively matched up, especially on the Nurburgring.

My advise to you is to be patient and to start with a pretty powerful FR (this is just my way of learning) I like to start with a beast of a car and then I don't have to work up or down the power scale ... The ZR-1 C6 RM is a dream to drive with no aids on, just get used to that without TC on, I never really found ASM to help me so it was just naturally switched off. As far as I'm concerned for others TC=1 and ABS=1-10 is acceptable. I prefer to drive with no aids as it is more satisfying when you win a closely fought race.

If you want to use aids though then by all means use them, if you don't then just switch them straight off and adapt :)
 
Are you talking about when you totally take your hands off the steering wheel? And the wheel just goes back and forth? That's not realistic in a street car, even a modified one. Perhaps on a full-on race car it might be. If you're talking about a level of resistance or just a different steering feel when you are accelerating or slowing down, then yes that's more or less normal and realistic.

I personally have FFB dialed down to 1. For most cars, having it at anything above 3-4 is unrealistically strong and seems to wear out the wheel motor.

No I'm talking about while driving around the track. Even on straights sometimes you can feel the wheel pulsate back and forth. Often going in, or coming out of corners it's so strong that it's impossible to reacquire control of the car.
 
A high powered FR car should do well.

If you want to learn quickly, going in the deep end and taming some of the beasts are the quickest way. However no aids just means throttle control and good breaking patterns, outside of that cars handle the same.
 
I bought a Murcielago last night (couldn't believe I didn't already have one). I left the TCS at the default of 5 and did some laps at Grand Valley East Reverse. I then did some TCS=0 testing... the car was 1.2 seconds faster.

TCS isn't always fastest! Still, don't be ashamed to use it if you need it - it's your money after all :D
 
If your going to switch from AIDs and auto to only ABS and manual I would change to manual first. If you shift at the wrong moment you can throw your car into a drift, and the AIDs will help correct it. Do this until you know your shift points and when and were to shift on a track. I would start of using a decent low powered FWD (Civic EK9). Once you've mastered this go to a decent low powered AWD (Older Japanese road going rally cars are great). After that a decent low powered RWD (MX-5). And after that a decent low powered MR (MR2 '86 anyone). This will take you through the easiest and hardest drivetrain layouts. Then turn your AIDs off. It'll be hard at first but your lap times will increase and you have more fun driving. After you do all this you can start bumping up the power, and as long as you go up slowly, you'll find you can control just about anything.
 
"Ditch them all except ABS!"

Ditch ABS also, and set the brake balance at 5 front and 1 rear. You'll find it more challenging and you will have a lot more control over what the car does when braking with ABS off.

I've been enjoying the game a lot more after switching to ABS off, manual, and sport soft or less tires on all cars.
 
"Ditch them all except ABS!"

Ditch ABS also, and set the brake balance at 5 front and 1 rear. You'll find it more challenging and you will have a lot more control over what the car does when braking with ABS off.

I've been enjoying the game a lot more after switching to ABS off, manual, and sport soft or less tires on all cars.

Wow, im glad you can control a car by doing this, it takes me sooo long to get a car dialed in not using ABS...it seems the cars lock up and spin as soon as I try to hit the brakes and downshift...
Good on you sir.
Im using a fanatec pwts wheel and csp.
 
For racing at least, i got an Audi R10 (could probably do it with an FGT, Peugeot 908, or any race car that full tuned gets 800+ BHP) and brought the power down to 330 BHP. 10 Laps La Sarthe, 10 Laps Daytona Road, 10 Laps Laguna Seca, 20 Laps Trial Mountain. After i was done, I jumped from Racing soft to hard, did the circuit again. After I finished on hard, i bumped the power up to 500. Repeat. Slap on a turbo, do 670. Finally, go to Max power. Done.
 
Get acquainted with any of the miatas, gradually step up the power until its maxed out. Its pretty easy to drive it without any of the aids, and once you've mastered that you can move on to Car B. I used a mercedes C63 AMG. The back end of that car has a life of its own so it will definately test your car control abilities. Once you've got the hang of that try your hand at some MR or RR cars. Havent driven any of the RUF's yet, but the lambos are twitchy stock under heavy braking. Or do the top gear challenge with the lotus 111R. If you can come first there without aids you should be good to go :)
 
Well, I'm not great, but am well on my way(I think/hope). Thanks for all the tips btw. I turned the aids off except abs1, but, was too lazy for mt. After a while though, I thought, wth, I need to switch to manual. I think it was maybe a better switch than the aids thing. Often I find myself driving so well, I think, have I got all the aids off, and about that time, off into the grass/sand/dirt I go :dunce: heh, it's all good fun. I should say, I have the driving line still on, not for the line, but, for some braking help. I think the line is kind of off on a lot of tracks. I'll turn it off soon. I was racing Fuji, and where I normally would be in 4th gear (games recommendation) I found 3rd to be the better option, and I guess the ai uses 4th at that point, and if an ai car is in front of me there, they won't be in about 2 seconds. I'm liking that mt quite a bit.
 
Do laps of the nurburgring in a Lotus elise 96 with no assists... you will soon get used to it.
 
Back