Help on some Licenses

• Thread starter liam2maps
  • 38 comments
Hi. Over the past day I have been replaying Gran Turismo in order to earn the:

TRD 3000GT
Nismo 400R

I already have all golds on the B licenses (It was my first car, I never ever buy a car to start off with)

Anyways I am having troubles on 2 particular tests for the gold A license.

A4 (I usually can get in 37:700) (Trial Mountain | GOLD: 37:400)
A8 (I usually can get in 1:05:900) (Grand Valley Speedway | GOLD: 1:15:600)

Thing is I am using the PAL version. From what I hear the NTSC version gives you more time to complete tests in gold as well as proper shifting in auto or something. This makes the PAL version much much harder because you have to use everything you have for that extra tenth of a second while the NTSC players don't have to do much.

So any tips for A4 and A8?

liam2maps

TRD 3000GT
Nismo 400R

I already have all golds on the B licenses (It was my first car, I never ever buy a car to start off with)

Thing is I am using the PAL version. From what I hear the NTSC version gives you more time to complete tests in gold as well as proper shifting in auto or something. This makes the PAL version much much harder because you have to use everything you have for that extra tenth of a second while the NTSC players don't have to do much.

Just keep trying cause the cars are both worth it.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2001-10-14.html

tries to give details on A-4. It's similar to B-8 in GT3 but a bit easier.

I.e.
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2004-01-13.html
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2004-01-24.html

I never made detailed notes about the IA tests, as far as I can tell.
But here's a summary....
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2000-09-09.html

Edit: Sorry, I misread what you were asking for . . .
Here are detailed noted for A-8 . . .
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2001-10-12.html

Thanks SportWagon :D

You have the NTSC version right? So I guess the gear shifting for you comes off ever so slightly faster than the PAL version.

liam2maps

TRD 3000GT
Nismo 400R

I have all three original versions with all Gold on each and I can tell you from both ends experience that the US NTSC Version is just as complicated as the Pal Version!

HYBRIDLVR
I have all three original versions with all Gold on each and I can tell you from both ends experience that the US NTSC Version is just as complicated as the Pal Version!

Really. For some reason I had a copy of the NTSC version in Japanese and I seemed to get all golds within my first try of playing GT. Some were fluked no doubt but some weren't. This was on the B licenses but when I started the PAL it certainly got much harder. Oh well. It must be just me then. I also think that GT2 has it harder done for PAL players.

liam2maps
Really. For some reason I had a copy of the NTSC version in Japanese and I seemed to get all golds within my first try of playing GT. Some were fluked no doubt but some weren't. This was on the B licenses but when I started the PAL it certainly got much harder. Oh well. It must be just me then. I also think that GT2 has it harder done for PAL players.

It's bound to be harder, PAL user's are always sc***** over!!!

liam2maps
Thanks SportWagon :D

You have the NTSC version right? So I guess the gear shifting for you comes off ever so slightly faster than the PAL version.
I used manual for both those tests.

Does PAL give more delay in the stock gearboxes in license test cars?

Could be awkward.

HYBRIDLVR seems to disagree.

SportWagon
I used manual for both those tests.

Does PAL give more delay in the stock gearboxes in license test cars?

Could be awkward.

HYBRIDLVR seems to disagree.

I didn't disagree with anything, What is said was the Tests are Equally Simple!!! :grumpy:

liam2maps
37.348 for A4. Goldage. The last corner you need to keep it clean but keep the speed up. :D
Congratulations.

There's a definite "inside groove" you want to get in to save time. The perspective doesn't quite suggest you should head right over the middle of those hash marks, but that's where you should be.
Now I am trying to figure A8 :D
Good luck. Keep on trying.

Learn how that car behaves around those hairpins.

Keep the tires from squealing.

HYBRIDLVR
I didn't disagree with anything, What is said was the Tests are Equally Simple!!! :grumpy:
I.e. you disagree with the notion that the North American tests are easier and the PAL tests harder. No?

Wooooooooooo. I completed A8 after some tries. You just had to hit the sweet spot twice. Also I saved it on the wrong memory card meaning I have to do both A4 and A8 again. No biggy though. I guess onto the IA licenses now.

liam2maps
Woo I finished them all gold. IA's were so easy.

Hardest tests to get gold

A8
A4
B3

<3 Nismo 400R.

Enjoy. The Nismo 400R should beat all AI driven cars.

ixnay
i find the steering and response and everything so poor in GT1 that I can't seem to get many golds :(

Hey there fellow Aussie. Actually the response IMO is much better in GT1. I found it easier to get golds in GT1 after adjusting. It takes a little while to adjust though. Also is that display picture Keira Knightley. If so *drools*

ixnay
i find the steering and response and everything so poor in GT1 that I can't seem to get many golds :(

I didn't know you can use the driving force with GT1 and 2.I thought the Driving force would work only with games released for the PS2 ?

I started GT1 a few days ago, to fill my days waiting for GT4. I have done B all gold very soon, A license took me a while (that last one A8 was hard), and now I'm onto IA. They really are very hard. I am thinking about pluging in the wheel and drive, because I am no good with buttons, but still .... I have also done most of the races. I guess I just have to try harder.

vipersan
I started GT1 a few days ago, to fill my days waiting for GT4. I have done B all gold very soon, A license took me a while (that last one A8 was hard), and now I'm onto IA. They really are very hard. I am thinking about pluging in the wheel and drive, because I am no good with buttons, but still .... I have also done most of the races. I guess I just have to try harder.

I found IA's easier than A's. Honestly. Longest course was A4 followed by A8 to Gold. The IA's I was able to beat within 1-8 tries.

I've done IA1 in 3 tries. But my eyes just popped out, when I saw the target time for IA2. Did one try and was way off. Got all others bronze and one silver so that I have license, but have decided to start racing. And I have successfull done all but the three endurances and tuned race and GT World Champ race.

vipersan
I've done IA1 in 3 tries. But my eyes just popped out, when I saw the target time for IA2. Did one try and was way off. Got all others bronze and one silver so that I have license, but have decided to start racing. And I have successfull done all but the three endurances and tuned race and GT World Champ race.

If that's the Grand Valley time trial you need to keep your speed up before you enter the straight. Keep it clean and use the whole track available to you.

liam2maps
If that's the Grand Valley time trial you need to keep your speed up before you enter the straight. Keep it clean and use the whole track available to you.
It's SSR5, and there are several tricky bits.

You must learn how to join some separate corners into one to increase speed, and that chicane combination near the end is very difficult to learn to take quickly. Experiment and see what works. Braking earlyish so you can line up nicely for the exit seems to work well, and at least there aren't any AI cars to worry about passing you and getting in your way.

If you're desperate, the walls in the first tunnel can help increase speed a bit, if you're careful. ;)

Actually this was the gold I got with the fewest tries. I'd had a tough time getting bronze, originally, too, and silver seemed a long way away, but I actually got gold without getting silver. Everything just came together (including a wall-slide, I think). Silly me quickly saved then-and-there, instead of saving that track to use as the one to repeat to collect all four colours of Nismo 400R.

Back