[Help] Various Online Issues

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 16 comments
Ireland
Codemasters (EA)
PJTierney
Hello everyone; I'm new to GTP so apologies in advance if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

The club that I do online racing with has recently migrated from Forza Motorsport 4 to Gran Turismo 6, and their first Season using GT6 has recently gotten underway.

A few issues have come up in the initial races and I was wondering if anybody here had any comments/fixes that they could provide.

1. There is an issue with some people racing against "invisible cars". These cars are on track but cannot be seen on some drivers' screens or show up on the results screen. We had a 15 driver race last night (14 finishers as I disconnected) but these 2 results screens from different drivers [1] [2] don't match up.

2. In order to ensure that the racing is clean and fair, everybody in the club is required to have a working headset in order to communicate with other drivers on-track. On Xbox 360 this was never an issue as we have Party Chat for small lobbies and high quality in-game chat for larger ones.

On GT6 however there have been multiple reports from drivers that they simply cannot hear or make sense of what others are saying, to the point that several drivers are having to ditch their headsets mid-race.
Could anyone give some insight/tips on how to resolve the above? GT6 seems like a solid platform for organised online racing, but issues like these could see people moving back to Forza or heading elsewhere.

Many thanks,
-PJ

1. That's a matter of band width or the quality of the conection. You can try to put the Race Quality at minimum or make the host permanent. Don't use Wi-Fi, always cable conection. To make sure that everybody can see every other player, before starting qualifying or race ask everybody how many players they can see, the number below the position in the upper left part of your screen. If everybody sees the same number everything is ok.

2. The use of headsets is one of the problems related with fact 1. The less you use them, the better. I always disable voice chats, as they consume band width and may cause lag and disturbe racing. You may see cars jumping or you may see a car one second in one place, and a second after you see it in other completely different place. Very annoying.

Hope it helps :)

Hello everyone; I'm new to GTP so apologies in advance if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

The club that I do online racing with has recently migrated from Forza Motorsport 4 to Gran Turismo 6, and their first Season using GT6 has recently gotten underway.

A few issues have come up in the initial races and I was wondering if anybody here had any comments/fixes that they could provide.

1. There is an issue with some people racing against "invisible cars". These cars are on track but cannot be seen on some drivers' screens or show up on the results screen. We had a 15 driver race last night (14 finishers as I disconnected) but these 2 results screens from different drivers [1] [2] don't match up.

2. In order to ensure that the racing is clean and fair, everybody in the club is required to have a working headset in order to communicate with other drivers on-track. On Xbox 360 this was never an issue as we have Party Chat for small lobbies and high quality in-game chat for larger ones.

On GT6 however there have been multiple reports from drivers that they simply cannot hear or make sense of what others are saying, to the point that several drivers are having to ditch their headsets mid-race.
Could anyone give some insight/tips on how to resolve the above? GT6 seems like a solid platform for organised online racing, but issues like these could see people moving back to Forza or heading elsewhere.

Many thanks,
-PJ
Welcome to GT6 Online racing.

Welcome to GT Planet, the place where it is mandatory you pick out a good handbag for thread discussions! :lol:

If your internet's can take it make the host do an open connection, so it's not running off of one person's bandwidth for the entire race. Set the race quality to high, or very high if you can manage it and then set voice quality to standard. This should make everything fine.

I host races twice a week with my racing group (CCR) and we have only ever had the invisible drivers problem a few times since January. I think it's just a GT thing with the servers and location connections. If that happens I suggest getting the person who can't see people to leave and rejoin. If that doesn't work then get them to restart the PS3. It sometimes works. If this again doesn't work then get the people who can't see each other, e.g Driver 3 can see everyone but Driver 8 can't see D3. Get D3 and D8 to leave, get D8 to join then D3. That can sometimes solve the issue too. Obviously this should be done pre-race.

Always avoid Bathurst online as it's massively unstable, even after the patch, and makes voice quality terrible and the race quality is laggy and sometimes crashes people's systems mid-race. Avoid it like it's the bubonic plague.

As a general thing, limit the player count to the amount turning up, that'll help the bandwidth a bit too. So if you have 14 people attending, limit the lobby to 14 instead of keeping 16 slots open.

I have been hosting for over a year overall on GT5 and GT6 and I have never had any major issues, not even lag when racing with foreign-server players such as Italy, Denmark and Israel etc. It's worth giving it a try and see what happens. That's about as much advice as I can give you. :D

Last edited:
Nice to see those two days of online maintenance appear to have no significant improvement whatsoever, Congratulations PD.

Before starting a race, have everyone go on track and ask all drivers if they can see the correct amount of cars (upper left, it will show the number of cars on track or pit) . If someone can not see all the cars, have them leave and come back in.

First off: these tips above are all good and helpful.
What I think you and all guys from your racing club should do, is this:
Assuming everyone is using the PS3 online via a router, no WiFi.

Set your PS3 to DMZ (exposted host) in router settings. To do this correctly, make sure PS3 has its own and exclusive IP adress (manual IP setting in PS3s XMB internet connection settings).
DMZ mode (in router) has to be set to this exclusive IP adress!
While setting up internet connection on your PS3, disable (!) UPnP mode! (on PS3 AND Router).

How to set up DMZ depends on your routers brand, so read the booklet or find a "network guy" (the person you ask, when anything's wrong with your internet) if you don't know how.
If everything's done right, nothing should stand in your way for flawlessly online racing experience.👍

To be fair, it's a hell of a lot of info going back and forth between a lot of people, PD, PSN, etc. It's not GT that can't handle it lol. It is our connections, most notably the hosts.

That's a design fault choice by PD though, putting all connection load on our consoles instead of an actual server caused issues from the start several games ago, and these issues are still strongly present in GT6.

From my experience, setting the host setting to 'Fixed Host' is the only way to permanently solve the issue where people cannot see each other on track (or talk to each other). As the game manual describes, non fixed hosting means the lobby members connect peer to peer, so issues can occur between specific lobby members. This will happen when you play in a lobby with 12 members or more, or if you play with people from various countries or generally big distances from each other. There's more possible conflicts between connections, it's generally a big annoyance.

When you set up a room with the fixed host setting enabled, the PS3 of the lobby host handles all network traffic. This hosting type also has its issues, because if the host does not have a good connection the whole lobby may have a lot of lag for everyone. In case the host connection struggles a lot and causes the host to disconnect, the whole room will shut down.

Usually however, fixed hosting works great for me, a lot better than non-fixed. I have a lot of PSN friends from various countries, we always have the issues you experience when the room is P2P connected but fixed hosting solves these issues. I'm using a wireless connection for my PS3 by the way, and the game rates my connection speed as 'high'. The rooms I host usually have voice chat turned off. If voice chat is important to you, I don't recommend to use the in-game function. If you talk on Skype, it saves the PS3 some work and you can keep in touch with someone who isn't currently in the room too.

Last edited:
I was having multiple issues for months , game freeze / online DC / invisible cars / system crash / pedal issues , you name it , it`s happened
my solution was : delete all replays from gallery :)

Hi again everyone.

Many thanks for the tips.
The club tried a few of the suggestions and last week's races were a lot more stable.

Voice chat is still a big issue though, does anyone have any advice on improving it?

I did read somewhere that if you leave chat quality on standard, it will adapt to the best setting. Couldn't say if that is really true though.

I had an invisible cars issue previously "14 on grid and saw only 9" and it was due to the router. Some routers makes you a NAT3 in my cause it was a sonicwall TZ150, I've swapped it out for a Netgear and BAM! NAT2 and problem solved.

You should try bypassing the router and connecting the ethernet directly to the PS3, if the problem goes away then it's probably the router. Some routers is just more strict than others.

or you could try what "schmocke" suggested for the DMZ.

My only advice is that if you're going to do port forwarding, you will need to assign your PS3 a static IP address because from the factory DHCP is enable and the IP of the PS3 will change and when that happens you will need to go and edit your DMZ settings again.

Back