Hemisport's E46 M3 Vert and New Daily Driver

United States
Pennsylvania
OK, I know you may not believe this, but this thread is about my first car. I have been looking around just for fun the last few months, but within the last 2-3 weeks things got pretty serious. I was on auto trader looking for golf, GTIs, GLIs, and well pretty much anything Volkswagen.
So right now I am looking at:
Volkswagen Corrado
Volkwagen Golf or GTI
Volkswagen Jetta
Maybe a nice Scirocco
My price range is any where from free to around $6,500. I have my eyes on a corrado in Delaware right now, it is in my price range, has a 4 cylinder, stage 4 supercharger, pretty much anything to do with the motor has been done, and it was recently rebuilt so the rebuilt engine has around 11,000 miles on it. The body and transmission has around 130,000 miles on it and only has a few scratches on it. It met my parents approval, but they aren't completely sure about it because they don't know how much money they cost to maintain and insure. Do you guys know? Should I not even look at this thing or what? I just need a little help, I really like this thing and I need to know a little bit more about the car, so what should I do?

EDIT:I'll try to get some pics of the car for you guys.

EDIT 2: After ~5 years with the Corrado I have finally moved onto something a lot newer, nice, and much faster. *CLICK* to jump to the post all about it!

EDIT 3: The E36 M3 decided to hug a tree and is long gone. *CLICK*

EDIT 4: The car search is finally over. *CLICK*

Last edited:
For a first car you are better off with and "unmolested" car.
No turbo (unless it's stock or a stock replacement)
No fancy suspension, no fart can exhaust.

You want a car that you can DRIVE, from the get-go. Not one that may/will need frequent repair.
Check out MSN or one of the other sites for reviews so you can find out the pros and cons of the vehicle you have in mind and then choose wisely.

Have you thought seriously about this? Including running costs and insurance? Because the car you've mentioned, although a nice car, would be an absolute pain to insure as a first car unless you're over 25 or very rich.

On that note actually, how does car insurance actually work in the States? What kind of things is it based on? I know it's not the same system as the way it is in the UK.

And yes, this is relevant to the topic, as it should enlighten more of us as to whether the Corrado is a good choice or not.

Have you thought seriously about this? Including running costs and insurance? Because the car you've mentioned, although a nice car, would be an absolute pain to insure as a first car unless you're over 25 or very rich.

That's what I was thinking, but as homeforsummer points out:

On that note actually, how does car insurance actually work in the States? What kind of things is it based on? I know it's not the same system as the way it is in the UK.

And yes, this is relevant to the topic, as it should enlighten more of us as to whether the Corrado is a good choice or not.

I think it's a bit different over there.

And as such, I shall toddle off to bed as I'm of no real value here :P Particularly as I'm reluctant to touch anything that doesn't even have the standard fit stereo, let alone something a new engine and supercharger.

Ok, I hear what you guys are saying. I was just wondering if you knew anything about running costs and insurance for a car like this, I'm not getting my hopes up on this thing because I don't know if my parents would let me have it. Gil, I'm not looking for a rice burner or anything, I just liked this one because the guys who owns it knew what he was doing. This thing is just a possibility. Here are pics and more info about the car.
What do you guys think about the other cars?

You probably don't want a modified car. The problem is that, quite often, you inherit someone else's mistakes. I'd definitely shy away from that one.

You probably don't want a modified car. The problem is that, quite often, you inherit someone else's mistakes. I'd definitely shy away from that one.

Yeah your right, my father and I will get to see it in person next Friday, so we will be able to take a good look at it and see if there are any serious problems with it. I don't really know if I will get this one. It's just that Corrados are rare around here and I found a few so I thought it was worth looking into a little. It's not really my decision, my parents have the final say

Insurance varies from state to state I believe in which they ask for. Here in Michigan your rates are based on age and sex for the person, an 18 year old guy will pay more then a 40 year old woman. With the cars it has to do with number of doors, engine size, engine cylinders, turbo/supercharged, sports package, colour, age, cost of repairs, how you plan on using it, and there are other things I'm probably forgetting. Also if you are a student and get good grades it typically is lower as well. You also have to worry about the area you live in, insuring a car in crime ridden Detroit is much more then insuring one in the suburbs.

Typically insurance companies in Michigan don't care if you modify your vehicle, although if you total it they won't give you a dime for the parts.

You also have services you can play around with, the cheapest is PLPD which is Personal Liability and Property Damage, it's for if you injure or kill someone or take out property it's covered. If you total your car the insurance will give you up to $500.

This car looks great..but stay away from it.Maintenance on them,is expensive.engine mounts going is their party peice.cv joints and boots need doing a lot..your budget should allow for new front tyres every 20.000.fog lights crack on them. which is also a common problem.do you know if the spoiler still works on it.and last but not least..the gear box.. reverse decides its self when it will work..also they let water in by the doors. thats me pennys worth:nervous:

Stay away from the G60, especially if it has been modified. I wouldn't touch even a stock one now. I'd go for a VR6 Corrado though if it had low enough miles and no boy racer parts. That would probably be out of your price range.

Can't go wrong with a golf though.

The Corrado looks pure awesome, but if you're looking for reliability, look elsewhere.

It's got a highly modified engine, the end.

EDIT: By the description, I really think the guy knows what he is doing. I think it something goes wrong, it will most likely be due to a lack of maintinence on your part, not because of bad quality parts or something like that.

If you can work out a deal, I say go for it, but really make sure to ask the owner exactly how to maintain it good and keep it running. I'm sure it will require premium fuel for example.

Last edited:
I have been looking around just for fun the last few months, but within the last 2-3 weeks things got pretty serious. I was on auto trader looking for golf, GTIs, GLIs, and well pretty much anything Volkswagen.
So right now I am looking at:
Volkswagen Corrado
Volkwagen Golf or GTI
Volkswagen Jetta
Maybe a nice Scirocco

Nice to see a blooming VW fan around (I've owned a few), but there are a few things...

The VW Corrado
  • It is an instant classic
  • Hard to find in really good shape, but there can be hidden gems (for a price!)
  • Avoid the G60 at all costs, the "Ladder-Chargers" are terrible... Go for a (VR6) SLC
  • Personally speaking, its not a good "first VW." These are usually reserved for the die-hards.

The Golf/GTI
  • For a first car, its not too bad of an idea...
  • Stick to the MKII or MKIII models, the MKIV versions aren't worth the money (I'd favor a MKII for a first time)
  • The GTI is going to be hard to come by in some instances. If you can get an MKII 16V, by all means, but the average 8V model is just fine.

The Jetta/GLI
  • Again, not a bad idea for a first car...
  • For the Jetta, again, MKII or MKIII (I had a MKIII) are pretty good choices... Again, I'd lean towards a MKII.
  • Parts are pretty affordable for a VW, insurance isn't too bad, and they're easy to work on. Plus, the MKII is still the best-looking model.

The Scirocco
  • Too old
  • Too collectible
  • Good luck finding one that isn't rusted to pieces, or if it isn't, that is reasonably priced.

=====

Just as a thinking piece:

MyFox%5BSept2001%5D.jpg

VW Fox

I had one, and it was a great car. Fun to drive, easy to maintain, cheaper than hell to operate. I think I average 32 MPG on a bad day. Only problem is that they can hold a lot of value, as I've seen the Wagon Coupe go for as much as $4,000.

Cheers for the info about insurance Joey 👍

What do you guys think about the other cars?

My personal favourite would be the Jetta GLI, if it's the model I'm thinking of:

eurp_0611_13z+readers_rides+2005_vw_jetta_gli.jpg

Much better spec than the equivalent model we got in the UK under the Bora name, yours basically looks like a Bora GTI.

Cheers for the info about insurance Joey 👍

My personal favourite would be the Jetta GLI, if it's the model I'm thinking of:

eurp_0611_13z+readers_rides+2005_vw_jetta_gli.jpg

Much better spec than the equivalent model we got in the UK under the Bora name, yours basically looks like a Bora GTI.

Buy it. Buy it now.

Thanks guys. The first few posts didn't really help me at all, I'm glad to finally get some advice. On the insurance issue, I have averaged a GPA of around 3.85 since seventh grade, so there is one discount and I'm taking drivers ed for another discount. The crime around here, well there is none, ever. But being a 16 year old guy doesn't help my cause, no matter what car it is.
About the Golf, I have only been looking at MKII and MKIII, GTI and non GTI. I love them both, the looks, the potential it has, and it is a respectable car. I have one MKIII GTI in mind right now, it has a VR6 in it, 5 speed and I think some bilstein shocks. So there isn't a whole lot done to it, which isn't a bad thing. I don't have time for a job, that is why I have been looking at VWs with tasteful mods, no fart cannons or 30" DUBS on them, so I don't really have money to put into it.
About the GLI, that is the model I love, only one problem and that would be the price.
And about that Fox, I kind of like the look of it, I think I will check it out. If it were a little bit lower and had some different wheels it would be one mean car. Thanks guys, I'll keep you all updated.

Last edited:
The Foxes can look very nice indeed when they're in good nick - here's a wagon:

90foxwagon.jpg

90foxwagon5.jpg

Perhaps not as popular as some of the other Vee-Dubs but hey, it's still a VW and probably a good starter one considering its cheap origins.

Here are some of the Golfs I was talking about. You can tell from the pictures that not all of them are in great condition, some are more tuned than others, but that isn't a big deal.
Golf #1. Tastefull modded VR6, 120,000 miles. Red.
I like it, looks pretty good, like the color. Pretty solid car.

Jetta #1 Looks good, VR6, interesting color, nice wheels (if I'm willing to pay the $$ for them). Great interior, very well kept. Also tastefully modded.

I know I said that I was looking at a lot of Golfs/GTIs, which is true, but upon closer looks at the cars, they are pretty beat. So for now there are only 2 for now. I'm going to look into some MKIIs and those foxes.

EDIT: Looked for foxes and couldn't find any. But I did find a MKII golf.
Golf #1. Looks awesome, love the wheels. Not modded, which is just fine. Bad things: Bubbling paint on the hood, 2 door dings (Hey, it happens and i'm not too worried about it), fritzy radio, small hole in the one drivers seat

Last edited:
Don't be hung up on getting something that's already been tuned. It's your first car, you have the rest of your life to get something flash or fast - just get something that's not going to swallow all your money unless you want it to, and something you can be proud of. And if you want a tuned on, make it personal by buying a standard car and doing the tuning yourself, bit by bit.

Don't be hung up on getting something that's already been tuned. It's your first car, you have the rest of your life to get something flash or fast - just get something that's not going to swallow all your money unless you want it to, and something you can be proud of. And if you want a tuned on, make it personal by buying a standard car and doing the tuning yourself, bit by bit.

I know exactly what you mean. In some cases I feel better when the car isn't loaded already because one, there leaves some room for me to do my own thing and two, the car probably got beat and abused in stupid races. But I just want something that has a little work done to it already becuase I play baseball nearly year round and when I don't play baseball I am playing basketball. I usually have one or two free days each week, Friday (if I'm lucky) and Sunday, so I there is no time for a job (I feel like I am repeating myself here). My parents won't lend me money for aftermarket stuff, and I don't really think that I can spend my college money on a car. I just want to find a respectable, fun car that I can enjoy because this is my one and only car until I can buy one on my own.

I re-iterate buy a bone-stock example of what ever car you can afford.
The factory builds cars to "looser" tolerances than shops and builders to account for a variety of driving styles, and performance needs.

The more aftermarket performance that is built into a car, the more wrenching it will require to keep in top shape.

That Corrado is nice, but hit the net and price parts, tires, etc. before you buy.

Gil
I re-iterate buy a bone-stock example of what ever car you can afford.
The factory builds cars to "looser" tolerances than shops and builders to account for a variety of driving styles, and performance needs.

The more aftermarket performance that is built into a car, the more wrenching it will require to keep in top shape.

That Corrado is nice, but hit the net and price parts, tires, etc. before you buy.

Exactly. I can't see why you'd buy a car that someone else has customized anyway. Surely the whole point is to make the car your own, so why buy something that someone else has made their own? And, if someone else has done the work, you've got no guarantee of the quality and absolutely no idea how to fix something if it goes wrong. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect your insurance will shoot up as a result of engine modifications too. It's certainly that case in the UK, where a good proportion of modified cars are still near-as stock under the bonnet because of it.

Just my several cents.

Exactly. I can't see why you'd buy a car that someone else has customized anyway. Surely the whole point is to make the car your own, so why buy something that someone else has made their own? And, if someone else has done the work, you've got no guarantee of the quality and absolutely no idea how to fix something if it goes wrong. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect your insurance will shoot up as a result of engine modifications too. It's certainly that case in the UK, where a good proportion of modified cars are still near-as stock under the bonnet because of it.

Just my several cents.
You and GIl are both right. I really didn't think this one through that much, and considering what my Dad just told me this one isn't looking too good.
And what you said about making a car my own, I completley agree with you. I want a car that is unique, something that is just mine. I was really interested in this car because it had what I wanted to do to a Corrado already done.
So I might aswell show you the back up Corrado, what do you guys think of this one?
The owner is going to email more pictures tonight. It has the VR6 unlike the other Corrado.

That one is pretty nice!
Make sure that damn passive restraint seat belt works.
And remember to sit back when you start the engine. Those seatbelts will take off your hat, nose, anything in their path.:lol:
But it looks like it could be a nice starter car.
It has the same basic mileage as the first one.
See if you can find like the 3rd or 4th issue of Project Car magazine.
They do the basic stuff to a VR6 Golf. I imagine though the parts aren't directly interchangable, the article might give you some ideas about where to start.

That VR6 Corrado doesn't seem too bad, actually, quite nice. The only thing you'll really have to worry about is fuel mileage, but with a light foot, it shouldn't be too bad. The other MKII GTI 16V that you posted seemed like the best idea until I saw the mileage, over 205K, and thats a bit high on an old VW.

Although the 8V, non-GTI/GLI models aren't exactly "fast," they're a good platform to start from, tend to be pretty reliable, and end up making for a great first car. The VW Fox I showed you actually shares a lot of its parts with the VW Golf/Jetta of the MKII generation, the only major difference being that it uses the Passat/Quantum transmission, giving it a longitudinal position.

You know, my dad has owned a couple 8V (MKII Golf, Mk I Cabrio) cars. He knows quite a bit about them: VW built the engine for ease of maintenance, keeping things in mind like the fact that Timing Belts will eventually break, spark plugs will need to be changed, etc: They're quite easy to work on.

Now, I dont' mean offense, but at your age, you'll want a car that's idiot proof...and that 8V engine is as idiot-proof as they get.

Last edited:
I didn't even notice the amount of miles on the old Golf, there is another car off the list. What did you guys think of the red MKIII golf I posted, my dad and I might call and possibly look at it this weekend.

I don't know much about the 2.0s reliability/maintainability-wise. It does have some aftermarket parts...again, buyer beware, as these are the typical parts of some kid who drove the car hard.

I don't know much about the 2.0s reliability/maintainability-wise. It does have some aftermarket parts...again, buyer beware, as these are the typical parts of some kid who drove the car hard.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking too. I don't want someone's rice mobile, and the fact that all he did was the suspension and a new exhaust makes me think he didn't really know what he was doing.
I'm glad that you guys like the VR6 Corrado, at first I didn't really pay attentino to it because I was too distracted by the shiny things on the white Corrado. It seems to be the most reasonable choice right now, the guy who is selling it seems to be a nice guy and is willing to drive it up to PA for me and my dad to look at it. There is just one thing that I can't get over and it's the color, is it purple, is it black? What is it?
Could you guys give me some more info about the G60? You guys said that it was bad news, but I google searched G60 engine problems and was reading up on the issue and it says that if you take care of it, there won't be any issues. It seems like the only problem is how often you need to replace the belts.

Last edited:
Well, rubber timing belts are just a pain in the ass, any way you slice it. *Someone who's belt shredded some teeth a week ago* On any car that old, you have to make sure all your belts are in good condition, especially those timers.

Latest Posts

Back