Hemisport's E46 M3 Vert and New Daily Driver

SVX
My reaction when I saw the thread title:

View attachment 311665

But seriously though, I'm incredibly glad to hear you're okay, @hemisport15. That's a nasty, nasty accident.

Hope you feel better soon. đź‘Ť

Thank you. I'm getting a little better each day.

Feel for ya man, done the exact same thing to my first m3.

Break it for parts, buy another one and take up drifting. That`s what i done XD

I'm hoping to buy it back and see what parts I can save. As for drifting, that's going to happen when I have a more disposable income.

You can now officially have a second birthday mate.

That is really nasty and a whole lot of lucky. Happy you had that luck on your side (at the B-Pillar).

Your knee is better? Or is it hypersensitive now when you slightly touch it?

Just a question: What KW had you in it? Is it one of those with seperate damper settings? Was it really dialed in properly?
Sorry, just some thing that pops my mind looking at the last few posts. Bilstein are bulletproof save as they have fixed rebound and compression rates that are tied togehter. KW on the other hand are not tied together. You basiclly can dial them in so wrongly that they become dangerous to drive.

Sad to see all the love the bimmer got and the not cheapo upgrades it got.

Well better the bimmer than you.

Glad you are okay đź‘Ť

My knee was just sore, it didn't hurt to touch or anything. I would compare it to tweaking it while playing basketball, nothing super serious in my mind. Also, I had the KW Variant 2s. We took some time to dial everything in so the car was comfortable to drive. The alignment and dampening were not set very aggressive because its number one duty was street driving. And thank you, I put a lot of time and effort into picking what went into this car and when.

:(

Truly sorry for your loss mate. Very scary accident and cringeworthy pics. Glad to hear you're pulling up okay and I hope that shoulder isn't anything serious.

Accidents happen, if you don't want too, you don't have to let it discourage you from doing what you like to do. Mine was something of a major eye opener in my life and while I'll never feel comfortable with what happened, 7 months on I can say it certainly made me appreciate things and become a better person.

Keep your chin up my friend, you're not alone in this.

Thank you. It really is an eye opener. I've driven the car in some very poor conditions and came out fine every time. It's a very humbling experience when something like this happens. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get back to "normal" but I'm definitely a little gun shy behind the wheel.

That looks incredibly nasty! Glad to hear that you walked away from this crash (relatively) unharmed, considering the damage displayed in the pictures, I've expected much worse!

You can replace a car (independent on how much emotinal value was attached to it), but you cannot replace a human life.

Thank you and that's very true. There will always be another E36 out there.

When I read the title I just thought maybe the engine went or transmission but WOW!! That looked really nasty. The people you passed must have been shocked too. So glad you survived the crash. You are very lucky it hit directly on the B pillar. If it was even a few inches forward of the B pillar, you might not be here to type about it. :eek::boggled:

The engine may be dead too at this point because I made the oil pan explode on the curb. I had a lot of people stop to check on me which was surprising and reassuring. The EMT's told me that there was a similar crash earlier that week, but he hit the tree about 6 inches more forward... he didn't make it.

This. I never imagined a chrash, much less so of that magnitude. So, so glad you made it out alive, even more so with so few consequences.

Same and thank you.

Shame about the car but I'm glad you're okay.

Thank you.

Holy F that looks nasty, glad to see your ok. Good to see you unharmed but I didn't think an E36 would get bent up that much, dread to think what I crash in my old E30 would've been like.

Any ideas for a replacement?

Thanks and there may be a reason for why it folded up that way, but I'm not going to really get into that until this is all over with. As for a replacement, I'm really looking at E39 M5s if I can get one in my price range. I'd like to get into a bigger car for a little while if possible, but I'm also looking at E46 M3s and M Coupes. I've always liked both of those cars, but I couldn't afford them when I was replacing the Corrado. I'd even consider another E36 if I come across one that is really special.

M Coupe would be awesome with either the S52 or S54.

Damn.. I'd offer you a beer but you're bit far. :eek: You definitely were lucky. Had the pole hit a foot closer to front and we wouldn't be having this conversation. :nervous: Shame to see such end to such wonderful car though..

And I second the M coupe.đź’ˇ

M Coupe would be awesome with either the S52 or S54.

Damn.. I'd offer you a beer but you're bit far. :eek: You definitely were lucky. Had the pole hit a foot closer to front and we wouldn't be having this conversation. :nervous: Shame to see such end to such wonderful car though..

And I second the M coupe.đź’ˇ

I've always been a fan of the M Coupe, but once again it's all about the money. I'd love to get one with the S54, but that was only done in 2001 so they're really rare and quite expensive. My girlfriend also really doesn't like the M Coupe... which is definitely not a deal breaker for me just kind of surprising.

Check out coupecartel on instagram, they have some really nice clownshoes there:
10958088_601773056623410_202235486_n.jpg

Also:
IMG_4419.jpg

Buuut then again...
15335405998_76c0c87814_h.jpg

M5LM.jpg

I want both those sets of wheels. A lot.

Thanks and there may be a reason for why it folded up that way, but I'm not going to really get into that until this is all over with. As for a replacement, I'm really looking at E39 M5s if I can get one in my price range. I'd like to get into a bigger car for a little while if possible, but I'm also looking at E46 M3s and M Coupes. I've always liked both of those cars, but I couldn't afford them when I was replacing the Corrado. I'd even consider another E36 if I come across one that is really special.

The E39 M5 is an incredible car, but it is definitely more an autobahn storming luxobarge than a potential track weapon. It is incredibly quick and capable, but it's got a lot of weight, and you can definitely feel it. Coming from the E36, it's going to feel a lot heavier, with crappier steering (recirculating ball, what can you do?) and less agile movements, but it will pull more and harder in a straight line, but at the same time, be oh so comfortable and civilized. The M3/Clownshoes are going to be more "raw". Depends on what you want and what you're looking for obviously.

If anything, the perfect compliment would be M5 for daily and M Coupe for the track.

I've always been a fan of the M Coupe, but once again it's all about the money. I'd love to get one with the S54, but that was only done in 2001 so they're really rare and quite expensive. My girlfriend also really doesn't like the M Coupe... which is definitely not a deal breaker for me just kind of surprising.

S54: 2001-2002.

For M Coupe stuff, I recommend checking out M Coupe Buyer's Guide. The guy does a weekly update of all M Coupes publicly listed for sale around the country, as well as the number and average asking price broken down between S52 and S54, and he sometimes has analysis on the deal as well. Also plenty of other good information on there.

I've always loved the M Coupe. I was toying with the idea of getting a S54 one, but then saw how much its appreciated in the past year and went "nope".

Could the fact that your rear tires look a bit bald contributed to the slide?
I was wondering the same thing but wasn't sure if it was just the angle of the pictures. Some high speed rated tires always look like they have low tread. My neighbors son just ordered brand new tires for his Viper and the tread depth isn't very deep at all. So its always kind of hard to tell with those tires.

Check out coupecartel on instagram, they have some really nice clownshoes there:

Buuut then again...I want both those sets of wheels. A lot.

Haha this doesn't make the choice any easier, unfortunately. As for those wheels, there's no wrong choice. I was planning on either getting fifteen52s or Livery Wheels for the M3.

The E39 M5 is an incredible car, but it is definitely more an autobahn storming luxobarge than a potential track weapon. It is incredibly quick and capable, but it's got a lot of weight, and you can definitely feel it. Coming from the E36, it's going to feel a lot heavier, with crappier steering (recirculating ball, what can you do?) and less agile movements, but it will pull more and harder in a straight line, but at the same time, be oh so comfortable and civilized. The M3/Clownshoes are going to be more "raw". Depends on what you want and what you're looking for obviously.

If anything, the perfect compliment would be M5 for daily and M Coupe for the track.

S54: 2001-2002.

For M Coupe stuff, I recommend checking out M Coupe Buyer's Guide. The guy does a weekly update of all M Coupes publicly listed for sale around the country, as well as the number and average asking price broken down between S52 and S54, and he sometimes has analysis on the deal as well. Also plenty of other good information on there.

I've always loved the M Coupe. I was toying with the idea of getting a S54 one, but then saw how much its appreciated in the past year and went "nope".

Thanks for the info! I've heard nothing but praise for the E39 chassis, despite the weight (which doesn't bother me too much). I really need to see if my friend will let me test drive his dad's Dinan M5 so I can find out for sure. As for the M Coupe, I'll have to check that site later. And you're totally right with the prices. From what I've seen so far, you'd be lucky to find an S54 for less than 30K.

Could the fact that your rear tires look a bit bald contributed to the slide?

I was wondering the same thing but wasn't sure if it was just the angle of the pictures. Some high speed rated tires always look like they have low tread. My neighbors son just ordered brand new tires for his Viper and the tread depth isn't very deep at all. So its always kind of hard to tell with those tires.

Surprisingly the tires were quite new. They had less than around around 10k miles on them. I think the pictures made them appear to be worn out.

Also tonight I'm going to the shop to talk to my mechanic with the hopes of getting some advice on what I need to look out for and what I should stay away from.

Trees?

(Too soon? :P)

Ouch, man. Just ouch. Too soon for me is definitely too soon for him.

Still made me smile. :)

Haha it's ok guys, I thought it was a good one. I made a joke about being Steve McQueen at the shop tonight and the owner said "Yeah, 6 inches forward and you would have been James Deen." While it's true and not really that funny when you think about it, we all got a laugh out of it.

Anyway, things have just gotten a little more complicated... It looks like the insurance company won't be giving us the amount of money we were expecting. I'm not going into further detail at the moment, but once we settle on a final number I'll let everyone know.

Same here

Saw one the other day on the street and really liked it. Didn't know they were so rare, but it would make a great daily :D

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Unfortunately, I've ruled out the E39 M5 due to maintenance costs. I've also ruled out the M Coupe because I think I want to get something a little newer and go in a different direction.

What car could that be you ask?

IMG_2662.jpg

E46 M3 Convertible (maybe coupe)

Not this specific car, but one very similar. Some of you may be disappointed by this because the car will be heavier, less rigid, and girly... less of a race car. But as I looked into the difference between the coupes and convertibles, I found that there really isn't a noticeable difference. It seems like there really isn't a wrong choice. It still has a glorious S54, the same great lines, and the added fun of not having a roof. All of which I can really get down with.

Can you imagine how amazing this will sound with no roof?

It also looks very good with the hard top attached (which I'd definitely purchase)

2763458520_0a7c28d4fb_z.jpg

attachment.php

None of this is set in stone though as I still have my eyes on a couple E36 M3 just in case. I'm going to take a test drive Saturday morning to see if this is definitely what I want to pursue.

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Unfortunately, I've ruled out the E39 M5 due to maintenance costs. I've also ruled out the M Coupe because I think I want to get something a little newer and go in a different direction.

What car could that be you ask?

IMG_2662.jpg

E46 M3 Convertible (maybe coupe)

Not this specific car, but one very similar. Some of you may be disappointed by this because the car will be heavier, less rigid, and girly... less of a race car. But as I looked into the difference between the coupes and convertibles, I found that there really isn't a noticeable difference. It seems like there really isn't a wrong choice. It still has a glorious S54, the same great lines, and the added fun of not having a roof. All of which I can really get down with.

Can you imagine how amazing this will sound with no roof?

It also looks very good with the hard top attached (which I'd definitely purchase)

2763458520_0a7c28d4fb_z.jpg

attachment.php

None of this is set in stone though as I still have my eyes on a couple E36 M3 just in case. I'm going to take a test drive Saturday morning to see if this is definitely what I want to pursue.

My next car is definitely going to be one of these, coupe though.

Looking forward to it. đź‘Ť

Love the E46 M3, especially the 'Vert, you've made a great choice! Hope the test drive goes well đź‘Ť

I usually don't like convertibles but E46 M3 verts actually move just as well as their coupe counterparts, though obviously less rigid. I'd personally still go coupe but convertibles have a few things going for them like the sound, open air experience and of course pulling all the ladies because convertible M3. On the other hand, less rollover safety, less rigidity, more wind noise and a little added "bimmer douche" factor :lol:

My next car is definitely going to be one of these, coupe though.

Looking forward to it. đź‘Ť

I had my first test drive yesterday and I'm sure you'll love it as much as I did. These cars are awesome.

Love the E46 M3, especially the 'Vert, you've made a great choice! Hope the test drive goes well đź‘Ť

Thanks! It went very well. I really liked the car, but unfortunately they want way too much money for the mileage. The car was spotless though so I'm sure someone will come along and buy it.

I usually don't like convertibles but E46 M3 verts actually move just as well as their coupe counterparts, though obviously less rigid. I'd personally still go coupe but convertibles have a few things going for them like the sound, open air experience and of course pulling all the ladies because convertible M3. On the other hand, less rollover safety, less rigidity, more wind noise and a little added "bimmer douche" factor :lol:

My thoughts exactly. I was hellbent on getting a coupe, but after driving a convertible I know that I'll be happy either way. As for the rigidity, I drove over a few very bumpy roads and the car handled it really well. I've seen some very douchey cars so far haha. I've kind of accepted the stereo type that comes with this specific car, but I'm going to be having too much fun to care.

And hopefully tomorrow I will be checking this car out.

File0_066749_640480.jpg

2005 Imola on imola, non SMG, and bone stock with 48,500 miles.

Not looking for coupes at all?

Later model, low miles, stock wheels and 6MT are all good things. Should not need anything apart from normal maintenance for at least 25K miles if it's been taken care of.

Later model, low miles, stock wheels and 6MT are all good things. Should not need anything apart from normal maintenance for at least 25K miles if it's been taken care of.

On paper the car seemed great. But the interior was not as advertised. I don't think the seller or the previous owners spent much time taking care of the leather because it was incredibly dry. The area where the bolster and upper back meet on the passengers seat completely separated leaving a hole/gap. The same spot on the other side of the seat as well as the drivers seat were showing the same signs too. Unfortunately they don't want to budge on the price at all even with these issues so I don't think I'll be buying it.

I have one more car to look at now because another I liked just sold yesterday. This car is blue on cinnamon and it's actually the car I drove a few days ago. They came down on the price, but there are a few other people looking at it too. This one is a 2006 with 100k miles (not pumped about that) but it's stock other than the Dinan exhaust, has navigation, and the 18 inch wheels. I'll hold off on pics in case the deal falls through, but the car is in immaculate shape and I won't need to a single thing maintenance wise other than regular fluid changes.

Wish me luck because if this one doesn't work out, the search and waiting starts all over.

I didn't like the red on red very much in that picture but blue/cinnamon is just :drool:
By the time cars get this old miles play less into the situation (unless super low like 30k) and how much it has been taken care of becomes more important. If it's going to be a driver, it's better to get a ~100K miler with proper maintenance and some worn parts that can be upgraded and the car bought for less.

I didn't like the red on red very much in that picture but blue/cinnamon is just :drool:
By the time cars get this old miles play less into the situation (unless super low like 30k) and how much it has been taken care of becomes more important. If it's going to be a driver, it's better to get a ~100K miler with proper maintenance and some worn parts that can be upgraded and the car bought for less.

Exactly why I decided to pursue this car. The peace of mind that comes with this car's maintenance history is fantastic.

And since the deal didn't fall through and I BOUGHT THE CAR, here are some of the dealer pics.

image-1.jpg

image-9.jpg

The best part...

image-13.jpg

And the added bonus...

image-25.jpg

I couldn't find a video that really represents the sound, but this is pretty close.

It's an '06 in Carbon Black (yes that's black) on Cinnamon. I'm not sure how rare the combo is, but from what I read this is an M exclusive color (or was at the time). It has navigation, Harmon Kardon stereo, heated seats, 19" wheels, nearly every other option, plus that Dinan exhaust. Unfortunately though south eastern PA is getting smacked by another snow storm. I will also be out of the state from Friday to Sunday, so delivery of the car will have to wait until Monday. Thanks to everyone who helped and read this thread!

Congratulations! It looks amazing! I would adore having an E46 M3. A convertible is even better!
How much did you pay for it?

My father used to have one in that exact color combo, but with the SMG gearbox. That's a trip down memory lane right there.

Congrats, just remember that you've got like 90bhp more than your E36 so be careful.

Back