Here's a laugh for ya

  • Thread starter Thread starter crossup
  • 33 comments
  • 2,669 views
Messages
402
Messages
crossup125
So I'm a geezer(60) and while an old hand at simracing and flying, I'm a noob with the PS3.
My wife bought it for me and I had no reason to think I'd really enjoy it...well one look at GT5 on our 42" HD plasma TV and I'm thinking an old GPL/GT player has found heaven. Best thing since slice bread, I"ve spent a ton of time on it (level 28 Aspec)
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been playing on upscaled 480P mode!!!!!! Just changed that now and the fuzzy menus are gone...the racing image is well...lets just say nothing about the stain spreading down my leg :D Real HD is SOOO nice but here's the best part....
Thursday were picking up a brand new 54" 3d panasonic topdog plasma TV and
apparently GT5 is fully supported in 3D?!

Totally UFB to an old timer!!
 
plasma tvs suck, if you are buying a new TV don't get plasma
 
Good luck with 3d.
I have a Bravia and its impossible to get some results. I've spent more than two hours try configure it and i couldn't get a clear image. If it was good in short distance the fair distance wasn´t clear and vice-versa. It seems no one can put it right. Just google it and see the results. The game needs more development to work great in 3d.

BTW its allways good to know that gt5 is a multigeneration game ;)
 
Buy rather a LCD tv than a plasma.. So much better for gaming and watching tv/movies...

And most places a LCD costs the same as a plasma...

Same size + same price + better quality = win :D
 
Why? What would you reccomend?

I own a 50" Samsung and it is pretty dang good.Looks great on the PS3 and Blue-Rays look awesome.You do get a slight burn in some times,but as long as you have the pixel shifting on it goes away the next time you turn the TV on.
 
The only downsides of a plasma screen is its lifetime and it consumes a little more than LED/LCD. Some guy up here said plasma sucks for gaming, he couldn't be more wrong. In fact, plasma is the best there is for gaming, deeper contrast, at least 100hz etc. I have a 32" 100hz full HD LCD by the way, so no fanboy bs here.

Oh and by the way, have a LOT of fun with your new tv mate!
 
LCD can't display true black because it is lit up by lights. It's pretty well known that plasma is better than LCD. Contrast is better for one. Life is shorter yes but who cares. They last long enough.

But I have heard that sometimes LCD is considered to be sharper for gaming.
 
I hook up my PS3 onto my 52" LED samsung and the results are amazing. In my house we also have a Panasonic 42" plasma, the results is not as good. Also, that Panasonic plasma crapped out after 1 and a bit year. (just outside the warrenty). You might want to rethink about picking up that new TV.
 
I had heard that Plasma is better for 3D than LCD (havent had a chance to try it out myself).

Also as previously mentioned it is very hard to get a good black level on a LCD screen.
 
Has the OP taken the X2010 out of the garage yet?
:D
Test those old timer reflexes I think!
 
The plasma / lcd / led debate is a bit moot, really. Upgrading to HD from SD makes them all look the same... awesome!

Enjoy your new hobby, Crossup!
 
We did our homework: according to consumer reviews Panasonic leads the industry with a 2% failure rate and everyone rates their displays the same(LCD and plasma) for rated lifetime, which is 100,000 hrs. Which is 3 hrs a day for 57 yrs.....

and for picture quality.. most videophiles will tell you the best is Panasonic plasma(not talking pro stuff, 4k2k, just normal Joe homeowner hometheater) now that they bought out Pioneer Elite and are active employing and improving that display technology...and of course not all Panasonics are created equal

even the first gen displays got 30,000hrs which is ok for home use but for the original airport commercial scenario...16hrs= 3 yrs to dead display, hence the urban legend that plasmas don't last

our current plasma set gets 5-6 hr a day on time and is now almost 2 yrs old and right now I'm having major trouble keeping the drool off the screen cause its freakin AMAZING!!! .
I should also mention that Panasonics 3D is known to be the most solid and game compatible which also influenced my decision to buy it. I'll definitely report my results with the new TV by Friday, I can't be the only one dying to try it and searches here got me no info so I'm on my own :D
 
I would never buy a plasma TV because they are now completely inferior to LED LCD technology which uses 1/4 the power weighs alot less, has no burn in, lasts twice as long, has a plastic instead of fragile glass screen (on nearly all plasmas) as well as the fact that higher quality LCD screens can reach 1000000:1 contrast ratio and anything more then 100k or so is undetectable to your eyes.
 
Congrats on the new TV and GT5 discovery :) I am in your age range and I just started the GT series last summer with Prologue, I am on a 46 inch LCD and I love it.
 
reverand33
it was also proven they don't last nearly as long as a LCD or LED tv. 👍

honestly i find a 60 inch sony rear projection tv's the best :)
 
Here's my take and I'm no expert but I have had years of exp with plasma's, well only one plasma. I have a Sony plasma circa 1999/2000 that I have had wall mounted, then packed by me in 04' and moved 400 miles, remained our main tv for another year and has been shipped up to the bedroom. I have purchased many LCD's since and have a lot of love for both, the plasma concerns out there are warranted, I have heard nightmare stories where LCD's in comparison are like Sherman tanks. My plasma has been dubbed the terminator, it just won't die. 11 years people! And never a single glitch. Knock on wood. Just my 2 cents.

I love Sony products but the Vizio LCD's you get at Costco are a friggin' great thing.
 
honestly i find a 60 inch sony rear projection tv's the best :)

No kidding. I have the KDS60A3000 myself and think it's a freekin awesome set :)

To the OP. Yes, please let us know what you think of the 3D when you have a chance to check it out. I really wish I could get a new TV to try this out but it's just not something I can budget for just yet. I'm very jealous :)
 
plasma tvs suck, if you are buying a new TV don't get plasma

Please pay no attention to the quoted post.

Plasma TVs are as vivid, if not more vivid than LCDs. Also, 600hz > 240hz any day.

We just picked up a 50" Panasonic Viera 1080p 3D tv a couple of weeks ago and we had the ability to see the best-of-the-best LCDs placed next to this television and I can tell you that the plasma's color depth and smooth visuals made the more expensive LCDs look bland and flat. This is our second Viera (our 42" we've had for something like 7 years - still looks amazing even if it's only 720p). 3D GT5 on this thing is absolutely amazing!

However with a plasma TV you need to be careful not to leave your game on one screen for prolonged periods of time as it will somewhat 'burn' into the screen. Most of the time this 'burning' will correct itself with color and luminosity cycles, but it's still a good idea to keep an eye out for it.
 
Plasma is better for gaming, deeper, more rich colours etc. Plasma quality deteriorates after about 5-7 years though, but I suppose by that stage you would want to replace anyway. Another thing to worry about is the burn it, you can't leave things paused like you can on a LCD. In saying all that, you won't notice all that much of a difference between the two unless you look for the differences.

I've got a 52" 3D Bravia LCD, and I couldn't be happier. I don't play in 3D though, can't be bothered lol. Congrats on your new screen, you'll enjoy it. Get a 3D blu ray, there's not much available, but I got Alice 3D for free with the TV, and it's pretty cool to have cinema quality 3D at home.

Also, don't do what my mate did and hook up his PS3 with the cable provided with it. Get a bloody HDMI if you want 1080p LMAO
 
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been playing on upscaled 480P mode!!!!!! Just changed that now and the fuzzy menus are gone...the racing image is well...lets just say nothing about the stain spreading down my leg :D Real HD is SOOO nice but here's the best part....

It's similar to the first time you get prescription glasses. You never know how bad your vision is until you see the difference.

:cheers:

The game is gorgeous. Now, go take your favorite Premium onto the Nürburgring 24hour course at sunset. :drool:
 
Welcome to the world of GT5 old man! :p Hope you see you online to trade paint in the rounded square octongon thingy!

Just a word of advice, don't use 3D on your PS3. Sony never built the PS3 with the intention of doing 3d and as it sets now most games tax the Graphics capability of the PS3 and will cause your frame rates to go through the floor (so you will see very mild stuttering)


Going 3d just makes things worse for the situation. Wipeout HD in 2d mode 60FPS rock solid, matching up perfectly with the 1.0 specifications of HDMI of 1080P @ 60Hz (Also Sony has that locked in as the MAX Fps you can get thanks to most TV sets being 60HZ) but enable 3d mode and it suddenly begins to get 27 or lower frames a second and I could definitely see screen flicker then with the shutter glasses on.

Why is that important? Because anything below 32 is UNACCEPTABE to our eyes when it comes to video games. As for movies they are shot at 24 (I don't know if this is true anymore, doubt it, I think it's much higher now) and we don't notice it, but there is a lot more magic going on to a movie that has 2 years of polish dumped on it VS a videogame that constantly has to dynamically change lighting based on the track TOD ect ect.

Now as for contrast ratios, since everyone HAS to use those numbers. I got a sad fact for you.

THERE IS NO STANDARD FOR MEASURING CONTRAST RATIO IN PLACE! That means a company can test their screen in house, with whatever equipment they please in a room any size they please with any color paint they please, and the lights in that room can be off on, or there can be a window or 20 in that room, if they please.

LCD: Low power consumption, highest screen life. 2nd Lowest Price

Plasma: Highest power consumption (Still even today about 1 1/2 more power consumption than a LCD) 2nd Best picture quality, highest maintainance (tied with DLP)

LED backlit LCD (LED TV): Power consumption Varies (Seen them higher and lower than "normal" LCD TVs) Very good picture quality! 2nd most expensive on adv.

DLP: Cheapest for the size. Good picture quality. Better have a 2nd bulb laying around!

OLED tv (True LED TV): BEST picture quality, LOWEST power consumption. Good luck finding one period! EXPENSIVE!!!!

//rant :P
 
i like my 40 in LED samsung 1080p with 8,000,000:1 aspect ratio

get at me
 
I'm using a projector, bought it and the PS just for GT5.
Was really enjoying having a 6ft X 8ft screen to race on.
After the first few days I discovered the menu and found I was running it on economy mode (dim) and it wasn't even set to cinema mode or HD!
Now that all the settings in the right place I wouldn't ever bother playing on a standard TV again. Bulbs can be costly, they run for around 2000hours and can be hard to find for particular models.
 
Buy rather a LCD tv than a plasma.. So much better for gaming and watching tv/movies...

And most places a LCD costs the same as a plasma...

Same size + same price + better quality = win :D


this isn't entirely true. the breakdown:


Plasma- offers the best picture quality, most expensive and most energy dependent, that means it burn your electric bill! It wirks as if each individual pixel had it's own light so it requires a lot to power it, great pic quality though.

LCD- works with back light source to illuminate the screen, LCDs are cheaper (not LCD LEDs, those cost almost the same as plasmas too) and cost about less then 1/2 to run, LED LCDs cost about %20 to run when compared to Plasmas

there are 2 types

LED- the most expensive of the 2, the thinnest of all, this uses LED lights to create the pic, this can also be broken down into 2 categories:
edge lit: the LED lights run along sire the screen and emmit the light to the middle, this can cause some shadow effects
local dimming: the best of the 2, this uses LEDs located all around the screen that direct hit the screen to create the best pic quality, some are now par with plasmas (this is what I have and what I recommend)

Regular LCD- works with fluorescent light in the background that illuminate the entire screen, pic quality is worst here
 
Welcome to the world of GT5 old man! :p Hope you see you online to trade paint in the rounded square octongon thingy!

Just a word of advice, don't use 3D on your PS3. Sony never built the PS3 with the intention of doing 3d and as it sets now most games tax the Graphics capability of the PS3 and will cause your frame rates to go through the floor (so you will see very mild stuttering)


Going 3d just makes things worse for the situation. Wipeout HD in 2d mode 60FPS rock solid, matching up perfectly with the 1.0 specifications of HDMI of 1080P @ 60Hz (Also Sony has that locked in as the MAX Fps you can get thanks to most TV sets being 60HZ) but enable 3d mode and it suddenly begins to get 27 or lower frames a second and I could definitely see screen flicker then with the shutter glasses on.

Why is that important? Because anything below 32 is UNACCEPTABE to our eyes when it comes to video games. As for movies they are shot at 24 (I don't know if this is true anymore, doubt it, I think it's much higher now) and we don't notice it, but there is a lot more magic going on to a movie that has 2 years of polish dumped on it VS a videogame that constantly has to dynamically change lighting based on the track TOD ect ect.

Great to have some info on 3d. was interested in that.

Idk why you guys are arguing over LCD vs Plasma etc.
that debates as old as the rolling stones. i guess people living under a rock would need to discuss.
 
I have the LED Sharp Aquos and the picture is fantastic, although the PS3 is downstairs most of the time (until I can get back into a job so I can afford to get a set up made for the wheel) so for now I'm playing on an LCD Sony Bravia and I have no complaints with that picture either ... I must say on either TV I have no problems with the blacks or any other colour for that matter ... On the Aquos the colours are definately better.

To sum up I would definately recommend the Sharp Aquos LED TV :)
 
Last edited:
Back