Here's Your First Look at rFactor 2's McLaren 650S GT3

RaceDepartment is showing quite a mixed reception over this, in regard to it being paid DLC.

I'm a bit 'irked myself, because I don't think the Forza-leg of McLaren's WFG competition required the additional purchase of extra content to compete.

I may be wrong - but if I'm not, requiring paid DLC for one part of WFG - but not the others, definitely leaves a sour taste IMO.

RaceDepartment is showing quite a mixed reception over this, in regard to it being paid DLC.

I'm a bit 'irked myself, because I don't think the Forza-leg of McLaren's WFG competition required the additional purchase of extra content to compete.

I may be wrong - but if I'm not, requiring paid DLC for one part of WFG - but not the others, definitely leaves a sour taste IMO.
Cheaper compared to iRenting. ;)

IIRC, even if you had the Ultimate Edition of Forza 6 which includes Car Pass, you still needed to buy additional DLC as it wasn't included with the car pass due to coming out over 6 months after the game was released. As it was also targetted towards NA gamers, I didn't bother with it. The championship favourite got done by Xbox DRM servers not working, must have been a horrible feeling to lose out that way.

Mobile version probably most costly even though free as you needed a high end device to play it at over 20FPS consistently and IIRC retries cost 13p an attempt if you decided to pay for it upfront instead of waiting every two hours for one attempt on one of the three long tracks. I didn't bother with that as Henrik was in a league of his own but second place was probably achievable for me if I had paid for more attempts.

I bought the 650S GT3 DLC out of curiosity to see if I was still really slow compared to others like I was last time I played rFactor 2 with Formula E. I was surprised that even with struggling with handling of car and FFB compared to Formula E car, I was much closer to top times than before. Before I was losing about 7 tenths on simple sectors, now I can get within a tenth driving in same manner as I was before which was a pleasant surprise and I know if I can get setup better and nail a lap then should be able to do potentially top times.

Gave last round a final attempt, managed to improve slightly. There was an alien on server, he shared a baseline setup which was eye-opening. I reckon he might have a chance of winning as was very consistent in doing the top times with a lot of potential and I think setup direction is very different compared to some others. I managed to improve my time ever so slightly, first attempt with frankestein setup of what I had been running before on suspension and this was the outcome, only had a few minutes left before event closed so didn't have much time to experiment on what worked or not with it.

The car didn't feel too stable as can be seen on the outlap, I think my setup I used before was probably easier to drive shown near end of video thanks to a bit more downforce. Anyway my bad driving on outlap probably helped me get tyres up to temperature and was surprised that I managed to improve as I wasn't expecting it to go well as balance of car didn't feel too good. Missing a little bit of traction which I think will be crucial to get the final few tenths, about a tenth a sector I'm down on the fastest so not a total disaster given some of these guys have probably ran over 5000 laps with this car at this stage. Also some in established sim racing teams so that is a lot of experience to contend against, would have been much closer IMO if it was fixed setup for all.

Will be interesting to see todays final race, wonder if there will be GP2 F2 driving compared to the more gentleman driving of the other three rounds. Also there might be a lot of different setups being used even though giving similar pace, this car can be tricky on all the braking zones and turn in points so could be a lot of errors even on such a short track.

Cheaper compared to iRenting. ;)

That is very true, iRacing is like $15 for the car, another $15 for the track plus the subscription fee . Considering how less-than-$15 got many gamers multiple cars and a track in Assetto Corsa (DP1), I can still see why some people were a bit miff'd at rFactor2's first DLC.

Once the rumored GT3-pack comes out for rF2, might be interesting to see how people weigh it's worth, but that's a ways away I bet.

Back