Hidden treasures - used cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter zPhoenix
  • 61 comments
  • 6,198 views
Messages
178
Everyone seems to know about the 4 black beasts available in the used car showrooms days 694-700. And there is a good list of all the cars available, by date.

But I was not able to find anywhere a sub-list of "must-buy" used cars. By "must-buy" I mean cars that are either:

(a) Very good and you won't win them in a race, or

(b) Cars that are needed to run races for 100% completion, are never won in a racing series, and can be bought from the used car lots even if only on specific days.

This list could easily be an FAQ on its own right, but I don't expect anyone to write such a list (maybe this thread will be it?). So, in the meantime, if you know of any must-buy used car, can you list it here?

Thanks. 💡
====================================================
Results:
My thanks to all. I have been buying like a bandit, and the least I can do is summarize. The list took more of a "desirable used car" flavor.

A few cars might also be winnable, a few others might not be available used (this was unintentional).

The errors are all mine. Let me know and I'll gladly fix them.
====================================================
Aston Martin Vantage V8
Audi S4
Audi TT
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe
Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport (C4) '96 (very nice handling for American car)
Delta HF Integrale
Fiat 500R '72
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R
Honda Accord Euro R (CLI?)
Honda NSX Type R
Honda S2000 Convertible
Isuzu Bellet
Isuzu Piazza EX
Jensen Heley Mark II '74
Lexus IS-300 (= Toyota Altezza)
Lotus Carlton
Lotus Elise Sport 190
Lotus Esprit V8 GT
Mazda 787B Race Car - black beast
Mazda MX-5 Miata (SR-Limited NA J, or VR-Limited NA J ?)
Mazda RX-7 Bathurst
Mazda RX-7 Type RZ
Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI TME (Tommy Maniken Edition)
MR2 G-Limited '86 (for '80s cup.. others possible)
Mustang Cobra R
Nissan 240 RS Silvia '83
Nissan Fairlady
Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car - black beast
Nissan R92CP - black beast
Nissan Silvia (anyone in particular?)
Nissan Skyline GTr '70 (for Japan '70s series)
Nissan Skyline GTR (R33) '97 (correct name?)
Nissan Skyline GTR (R34) '99 (correct name? Midnight Purple II?)
Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 (won at 206 race?)
Peugeot 206 S16 (DON'T!!! Get new 206RC for 206 Cup)
Renault RS Turbo (may be won in special conditions hall)
Sileighty
Subaru Impreza 22B
Subaru Impreza WRX Sti
Subaru Legacy B4 Blitzen
Toyota Celica GT Four RC
Toyota GT1 Race Car
Toyota Trueno Shigeno Edition
Toyota Supra (RZ or 2.5GT Twin Turbo?)
Toyota Vitz
TVR Griffith 500
TVR Cerbera Speed 6
TVR V8S
 
yup, the good olde black cars... the cheap win for the GTWC :D
 
Well the the only 1 i know ive bought (apart from the 4 blackies and my starting evo) was an Isuzu PIAZZA EX in the week before the Blacks came out and that had no prob with the Isuzu comp and You cant buy it im not sure bout winning it though.
DJ
 
Mustang Cobra-R

It will easily win nearly all of the American races and just kicks a lot of ass.
 
VTGT07
Mustang Cobra-R

It will easily win nearly all of the American races and just kicks a lot of ass.

That is EXACTLY what I did...and, yes, the car kicks some boo-tay.
 
Subaru Impreza WRX STi (from several years ago – I forget exactly). It got me through most of the Beginner and a few of the Professional races, as well as many of the Special Conditions races. Love that little sucker. Inexpensive too.
 
do u hav 2 buy the toyota altezza and toyota vitz from used car cuz u cant buy em and u need em for the 2 toyota manufacturer cups
 
falcon500
do u hav 2 buy the toyota altezza and toyota vitz from used car cuz u cant buy em and u need em for the 2 toyota manufacturer cups
Say what now?
 
with toyota i was tryin 2 do the races for toyota and went 2 buy the 2 cars u need for em but they dont hav em for sale in toyota showroom so u gota find em in used car lots do u ?
 
falcon500
with toyota i was tryin 2 do the races for toyota and went 2 buy the 2 cars u need for em but they dont hav em for sale in toyota showroom so u gota find em in used car lots do u ?
Well for the Altezza cup you could probably just use the Lexus IS300 since it is almost exactly the same thing, and the Vitz is in just about every used car cycle.
 
There are JDM specials that appear once in a while. These cars are limited and sought after in real life by enthusiasts.

Subaru Impreza 22B
Toyota Trueno Shigeno Version (not a real version you can buy off the shelf but tunable)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Special Edition
Honda NSX Type R (NA1) 1992
Subaru Legacy Blitzen
Toyota Celica GT-Four RC (ST195)
Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 (R34) 1999
Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 (R32) 1992
Sileighty
Honda Accord Euro R (CL1) 2000
Mazda RX-7 Type RZ 2001
 
I just bought an evo VI TME the other day! Plus I saw one in real life a few months ago.
 
dylanj123
Well the the only 1 i know ive bought (apart from the 4 blackies and my starting evo) was an Isuzu PIAZZA EX in the week before the Blacks came out and that had no prob with the Isuzu comp and You cant buy it im not sure bout winning it though.
DJ

yeah you can win them, i think its in the isuza cup majigi.. o.0
 
Apart for the black beauties, there are occasional good deals in there. Once I found an Evo VII GT-A edition. I kinda liked it.
 
The TVR Cerbera Speed 6, Griffith 500 and V8S are all "must buys" in my opinion, but not necessarily rare.

The Nissan Fairlady S2000 Convertible (from the '60's I believe) is a treat, too.
 
With above been said, I want to add a few more cars.

Mazad RX-7 Bathburst (spell?) white (prefer black)

Nissan Sileighty black

Toyota Supra (i forgot the model, but with turbo) black

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V RS T.M.E (i forgot which generation is it, could be 4 or 5) :dopey:
 
The Lancer Evolution VII GT-A is actually an automatic.
Mazda RX-7 Bathurst is a rare car even in real life.
The Sileighty was never supposed to be an official car. Japanese S13 drifters simply fused a Silvia S13 front to a 180SX hatch in the event of a crash and a RS13 front could not be sourced. Nissan recognised that the trend was catching on ans so they produced a limited number of Sileightys for the home market.

The Toyota Supra is the RZ (turbo) and SZ (NA) named JZA80
 
~Sp33~
yeah you can win them, i think its in the isuza cup majigi.. o.0

the Isuzu Bellet and the Isuzu Piazza Xe have to be bought in the used lot. The 3rd Isuzu is won at the manufacturer race.
 
Honda Integra Type R (In yellow) is hard to find. The black/white/red ones are everywhere but im on day 2357 and I've only seen the yellow one once.

Also the Lotus Carlton only comes up every once in a while.

The Mazda RX-7 (FC 1990) "INFINI III" is pretty rare too.

You can also buy the Murcury Cougar XR-7 for those of you that sold urs when you won it in the license it says "you can only win this price once" but doesn't say anything about buying it :)

BMW M coupe is not really rare but its not always there either.

The Toyota Supra 3.0 GT Turbo A is rare too I've only seen it a few times.

Theres a few Skylines with special colors too. One is a blue R33 thats a "limited edition" and an R34 midnight purple but not the same one thats in the new cars showroom
 
I find the '81 celica XX 2800gt a blast to drive with nothing but sports exhaust and chip. its slow but nice and tail happy... think it'd make a good slow drifter :)
 
There is a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VI T.M.E thats red with black and white stripes on the side. I think some of you guys will know what I'm talking about. I've been through the used cycle once already, and I haven't found it yet (I've tried, its one of the cars that I really wanted.) Does anybody happen to know what day this car comes up in? Or if it even comes up at all?
 
The striped TME is unfortunately not in the game... Only the solid red, blue, silver, white and black ones.

That was one of my favorite GT3 cars, and I've been pissed since day one that it's not in there.
 
the Lotus Carlton is a good one but i think an awesome used buy is the TVR V8S. it sounds great, and drives great and most of all looks great
 
I just completed my Supra RZ collection tonight by acquiring the Supra RZ in blue. :D Time to collect all the RX7's. I've got most of the FD's i think.
 
Tomek6
Theres a few Skylines with special colors too. One is a blue R33 thats a "limited edition" and an R34 midnight purple but not the same one thats in the new cars showroom

i found that midnight purple one.. very nice car.. a tad understeery.. but that with most skylines, its got flecks of green throughou it to, its a very quirky colour of which i enjoy ^^
 
PunkRock
The striped TME is unfortunately not in the game... Only the solid red, blue, silver, white and black ones.

That was one of my favorite GT3 cars, and I've been pissed since day one that it's not in there.

You're kidding! I could've sworn i saw a striped TME in a race... I must be seeing things. I've always been more of an EVO fan than Sti's, and the EVO VI TME was the mecca of all EVO's in my opinion (well, at least look-wise at least, new ones are faster.) That's too bad tho... So disappointed... Thanks for the info though, now i don't have to check the used car lot every single time to see if it's there.
 
I have picked up a Honda NSX type R 92 recently. it's a diamond in the dirt. :dopey:
 
Back