High Speed Oversteer - How do you like to deal with it?

• Thread starter KAMKA-Z
  • 39 comments
Hi, Bulldozer.

I just consulted my records, and I was surprised to see that I didn't actually use an Esprit in any game-completion races. I did run both the 350 Sport and the V8-SE in some OLR events, but I can't say how it stacks up against the AI.

The Esprit is an extremely fast car, but like most MRs, it can bite you if you're not careful. Lift off too suddenly and you will lose the rear end. However, with a little practice, you'll find you can throttle steer it quite effectively. I actually enjoyed driving it around R11, and that's saying something.

Yeah, but remember to buy a fully customizable gear box for it. The stock 5 speed transmission ain't going to cut it. The top speed is too low. :indiff: But I got this car to 289MPH Fully Modded and I'm working on 300. 👍

If it's not too much of a hijack, how do you like the Lotus Esprit 350 in the MR category? I know it can be fast, but how's the handling? Would it do alright in the pro league races?

I personally have never got round to racing a 350 in GT3..but i did drive one in GT2 a bit. My question is: how much does it weigh? If it's over 3 grand i'd be tempted to say it might be a poor choice for the pro-league MR races, but it'll still kill in other events like the British Car challenge.

I was able to do the pro MR's in a Boxter, which (up against the GT40) is not an easy race. The Boxter has no extra downforce so you're constantly worrying about handling and spinning; especially at Laguna :yuck:

But like i said i managed to win all 3 pro-league MR races in that Boxter. I needed to take the weight down to win at Laguna, though.

It is very lightweight, around 1100Kg or so. Much lighter than a Skyline so it would pwn a skyline fully modded. It can get 1089HP.

Wow, i had no idea. Well you can certainly own the MR pros with that much power; provided you know how to control a lighter MR vehicle.

Well, it turns out I don't know how to handle a lighter MR vehicle. :ouch:
I can't even beat the last amateur league race at Grand Valley. I'm running medium tires so I don't have to pit, but the ZZ doesn't pit either.

There's a huge difference between 600+ hp and 1000+ hp. It's like they said, "Oh you want to upgrade from stage 3 turbo to stage 4? No problem. We'll also fit your car with solid glass tires and oil down the track for you. No extra charge."

It's almost as funny as the third day I was playing and I spent all my money to buy and max out a 300ZX - and I was still using the buttons for the brakes and gas. There was a little bit of a difference between that and my Vitz.

I know how I'm supposed to do it: do almost all my braking in the straight before I enter a turn, and take it very easy on the gas through the turn and coming out. Trouble is, Grand Valley has a lot of tight turns back-to-back, so I'm always coasting or trying to run at 5 or 10% throttle. My lap times at full power aren't much better than they are at 600HP - or with the RUF 3400S.

I can only see 2 ways through this:
1) Practice. Probably at the damn license tests (I've only gotten through S-1), or
2) Cheat. Come back when I have an F1 or Mazda 787B or something equally good.

PS. and sort of back on topic - I see that when people want to add a little oversteer they usually stiffen the rear springs and dampers and tighten the anti-roll bar in the rear. But is this controllable oversteer? It seems like a recipe for drifting (or in my case, a spin-out). Or is the setup the same and the only difference in the speed and acceleration?

PPS. Why can't I adjust the downforce on this car!? What's that giant wing-like structure on the back end? Satellite antenna? Solar panel for charging your cellphone? 'Cause it kind of looks like a wing to me. An adjustable wing. The kind that would produce some downforce. -sigh- Maybe it's a tow bar for skateboarders.

Well, it turns out I don't know how to handle a lighter MR vehicle. :ouch:
I can't even beat the last amateur league race at Grand Valley. I'm running medium tires so I don't have to pit, but the ZZ doesn't pit either.

There's a huge difference between 600+ hp and 1000+ hp. It's like they said, "Oh you want to upgrade from stage 3 turbo to stage 4? No problem. We'll also fit your car with solid glass tires and oil down the track for you. No extra charge."

It's almost as funny as the third day I was playing and I spent all my money to buy and max out a 300ZX - and I was still using the buttons for the brakes and gas. There was a little bit of a difference between that and my Vitz.

I know how I'm supposed to do it: do almost all my braking in the straight before I enter a turn, and take it very easy on the gas through the turn and coming out. Trouble is, Grand Valley has a lot of tight turns back-to-back, so I'm always coasting or trying to run at 5 or 10% throttle. My lap times at full power aren't much better than they are at 600HP - or with the RUF 3400S.

I can only see 2 ways through this:
1) Practice. Probably at the damn license tests (I've only gotten through S-1), or
2) Cheat. Come back when I have an F1 or Mazda 787B or something equally good.

PS. and sort of back on topic - I see that when people want to add a little oversteer they usually stiffen the rear springs and dampers and tighten the anti-roll bar in the rear. But is this controllable oversteer? It seems like a recipe for drifting (or in my case, a spin-out). Or is the setup the same and the only difference in the speed and acceleration?

PPS. Why can't I adjust the downforce on this car!? What's that giant wing-like structure on the back end? Satellite antenna? Solar panel for charging your cellphone? 'Cause it kind of looks like a wing to me. An adjustable wing. The kind that would produce some downforce. -sigh- Maybe it's a tow bar for skateboarders.

I know that's so retarded to have this giant wing and no adjustments. :irked:

According to my notes, i used an MR-S with about 259 hp to win GV MR Amateur Challenge (i think that's what you're referring to). I also used an NSX weighing about 3,100 pounds and about 386 horses. I used a third car (can't identify which one) weighing about 2700 pounds...i gave that one about 315 horses.

Now listen and i'll tell you the secret of Grand Valley.

Okay. So you're going down the big hill. The tight hairpin at the bottom of the hill is Turn #3. At the beginning of the race, you may or may not out-brake the Ai here (i can usually get past a car or 2 by now if i'm lucky and find a space to out-brake).

Now you're out of the hairpin and rolling on that short straight area and approaching turns #4 and 5. THIS AREA is where the Ai f:censored:s up royally!

I usually take my time into turn 4. This means approaching the turn on the right hand side, braking, then turning left so that i'm cutting over that red & white grid with my left tire. sometimes i'll even ride into the grass a little.

The Ai is piled ahead of me. Now notice: you don't need to brake into turn 5!!! ....or if you do need to brake...a simple tap between turns 4 and 5 will do.

NOTICE: the Ai always brakes heavily here. All you need to do is find your opening. You can gain seconds literally here. You don't need massive horsepower or an F1!! I usually find myself getting ahead of almost all (if not all) of the ai here...Then if the rest of my cornering is near-perfect i'll be set the rest of the course. Sometimes an Ai car will catch up down the long straight area. If that's so, i can again smoke them in those esses (turns 4 and 5).

And finally you are correct...it does take practice. The best practice i've found are in the B-licenses. There's a Civic and a Miata test (i believe B7 and B8). The key to getting silver or gold is minimal braking as you can see. And then as you approach turn 6 (into the tunnel) you should be braking very early and then coasting into the tunnel without hitting any walls.

HTH 👍

Just checking in to say I got through this one. I credit your advice, a lot of HP (I used the RUF), and a little unfriendly driving.

Yeah. You were right, when the AI slow down at turn #5 I could coast past them, or even accelerate just a little if I came in more slowly.

So I took the NSX I won, bought a chip and some tires, and re-raced. Came in last. Yes, even the Clio that pits twice beat me. :rolleyes:

But I won a second time with the Esprit. Nothing to brag about I realize, since I had about 650 HP, but I'm slowly getting used to this course. Personally, I think there's a huge difference in handling between the Ruf and the Esprit, even though they're both MR cars and had roughly similar power. They both transition from understeer to oversteer depending on your speed, but the Esprit just seems more touchy, like it has a smaller window of useful turning speeds, or a less smooth transition.

That's Lotus for you...twitchy and nervous as hell. yeah it just sounds like you're not so experienced with GV yet. After a month of GT1 i fell in love with the Grand Valley 300KM...did that enduro several times. I'm sure by now i've done several thousand laps at GV in all 4 Gt games. :) I usually find myself detuning at Grand Valley matter of fact cuz if i enter with too much horsepower i'll blow them away and get bored :lol:

Back