Highcroft's Deltawing *Update: granted ALMS 2013 full entry! *

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 482 comments
It's sad though when teams let their investors make the decisions due to money and not really technical facts. To me on the same level as a driver paying their way into a race car and not due to sheer skill.

Its those seat paying drivers tho that keep sportscar racing going so I'm not fussed about them, but yes its a travesty when these sorts of ideas come before smart ideas.

Can't wait to see a massive wheeled CORR version of the Deltawing when they realize an LMP version is also a bad idea that'll never be competitive in a million years.

I can't wait for the WRC version.

First off how is CFD their only way to survive...maybe you missed it but McLaren is sharing their wind tunnel with Virgin. The announcement came out last week so this idea that they're some feable team that can only make it on 40 million isn't true. Furthermore, I don't know what if it's Euro, pounds or dollars- before you answer it's not dollars - some clarification would be nice? Also that budget was last years when they were actually coming in as the lowest team (which then turned out to be HRT) but this year the lowest budget is HRT coming in barely at 45million EUR. Which could have been false and was possibly lower considering Thesian bank bought them out also last week. So to know how much HRT's budget is now is impossible unless you're a chairmen at Thesian because they haven't said yet. This would also show why HRT missed most of winter testing and didn't qualify for Australia even after Bahrain was canceled. Virgin are not that weak they have probably one of the most developed CFD out there, they don't have other tools however that could have put their car far more out there than HRT and on the heels of Lotus. I'd like to know where you go your numbers from? Cause these numbers you've given seem far more then what was shown at the start of this year, also just cause a sponsor has certain capital doesn't mean that is what has been put into the team. Truth is yes CFD is a good tool I'm not doubting that it is great for many applications in todays world, but CFD only gives scenario for straightline speed in F1, in the end it comes down to more real world test like wind tunnels, real world simulation chambers, air strips and so forth. Anyways just like Virgin the Delta Wing seems to be a car addicted to CFD, but I wouldn't knock it too much yet seeing as it is Highcroft who's working on/with it

My numbers are in Euros. Virgin had joined on the 40 million budget cap, and had intentionally kept it that low. HRT's budget is supposed to be roughly 53 million, I remember Carbante saying that at the start of the year. TL's budget from the start was in excess of 60 million, and now is somewhere over 100 million thanks to the major sponsorship from GE and Dell. HRT was mismanaged at the start and very underfunded, hence why they couldn't do anything at the start against Virgin, and Lotus simply had more money. And what about them missing most of testing? HRT were at every test session off season, albeit in an intermin car. They would have brought forth the new 2011 car at the last test in Barcelona had it not been for its dampers being held in Spanish customs.

Virgin were never able to use Wirth's revamped facilities, the MVR-02 was still designed using the old facilities. If they could have used the new facilities, with double the CPU power at their disposal, they could have done fairly better, knocking on Lotus' door more often and be a bit more clear of HRT, who have only this year began to grow, after last year all spent putting them on firm ground. In addition, more money being pumped into Virgin would have helped them as well.

I agree that CFD can't do everything windtunnls can, but it goes both ways. A windtunnel can't do everything CFD can. And as technology and our human understanding of aerodynamics advances, CFD could eventually become superior to windtunnels. Using only CFD is risky business, but it's best for any team to use both.

Nevertheless, we're going off topic now, back to DeltaWing.

It's an awkward design, yes, but I want to see it in action to see if they can really get those impressive numbers. It's risky to expect big things with an untested car.

Yeah, this is all going -way- off topic, especially considering they built and tested a full size wind tunnel model of the DW a long time ago, so all this CFD-only discussion is really out of place.

Back on topic now, did anyone actually read my experiment back on page 1, let alone try it out in GT5? I really think it might open some eyes.

I know it has nothing to do with how the DW looks, but that's the -least- important part of a racing car, aside from maybe the paint job.

Honestly I don't quite get all the people who hate how it looks, and can't see past that to just how revolutionary this car is. Personally I don't mind the looks of it at all, but it's irrelevant compared to the ideas this car is implementing.

Also, since when did something looking like a fighter jet make it -less- cool? I really don't remember that reversal.

Things seem to be shaping up nicely. This from Autosport:

www.autosport.com
The revolutionary DeltaWing sportscar remains on course for a first track test before the end of the year, under the guidance of two-time ALMS champions Highcroft Racing.

The car has already secured a place of the 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours grid, winning the 56th slot reserved by the ACO for advanced technology entries.

Several areas of the car have already been constructed and are soon to be crash tested by the FIA and ACO governing bodies, with designer Ben Bowlby saying the project was developing quickly.

"The progress so far has actually been better than I dare hoped," Bowlby said.

"The guys working on the design are doing an outstanding job and everything is coming together exceptionally well.

"The details of the front suspension/nose module are complete, and the tub itself actually conforms to full LMP1 chassis regulations.

"The rear suspension chassis design is also complete and we're now tooling up to building parts."

Dan Gurney, whose facility is deigning the car, said: "It is a great challenge ahead but all of us have 'been there and done that' when it comes to building racing cars.

"Now we are well underway on the DeltaWing, everyone has a great sense of anticipation about seeing it run for the first time."

And this from Highcroft's YT channel. I know most of it is only PR talk, but we get the sense that if so many intelligent and experienced people take "PROJECT 56" this seriously ... so should we.

Last edited:
I don't really care whether it's going to perform or not. The thought of seeing this going down the Hunaudieres sounds nothing short of YUMMY!

Well, there was a time when Le Mans race winners didn't look like LMP's.. so who knows, this could be the way of the future.

I think they'll have to be careful with close wheel to wheel racing... they'll be able to stick that nose into a pretty small gap, just hope the other drivers remember there's a wide bit they have to avoid as well.

I hope they do okay, it's always nice to see people trying something a little different.

Yeah, when they won and weren't LMP's in recent years they were road going LMP's, reliable GT1 cars and....er well road going LMP's....

I think this is still going to be one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" things...

Agreed, although I'm not going to be an armchair engineer or keyboard racing driver and say it can't be done. One of the most interesting things about motorsport is when something very different shows up to race, and I'm all for that. Push, pull, fold, spindle, and mutilate the envelope, I say.

It's not like LMP cars are designed on anything production-based; at least, there's no requirement yet.

Agreed, although I'm not going to be an armchair engineer or keyboard racing driver and say it can't be done. One of the most interesting things about motorsport is when something very different shows up to race, and I'm all for that. Push, pull, fold, spindle, and mutilate the envelope, I say.

It's not like LMP cars are designed on anything production-based; at least, there's no requirement yet.

I wish more people followed your example. So many people all over the internet are hating on the Delta Wing, acting as if they designed it and say it in action themselves. Every Delta Wing video on their channel is in the red in terms of votes, and are full of hate comments.

I think a large part of the negativity around it is caused by the Delta Wing people themselves. They are going around making absurd sounding claims like they will run LMP1 speeds with half the power, all while not yet having a running car. Even if it does end up running similar speeds it's stupid to say that it will before it even hits the track.

Have they even announced who will supply the engine/gearbox yet?

Not sure about engine/gearbox partner/provider, but the tyres issue is solved. Michelin aboard the project also.

Very, very interesting. The front tyres are only 4 inches wide, time to ask again ... "will it turn ?!?! At all?!?!?!" :lol:

A phrase from the Michelin guy at a press conference today in Road Atlanta tells it all (about the seriousness of all this):

Scott Clark
So now it's with great pleasure that I officially announce that the Delta Wing will make its debut at the 24 hours of Le Mans next year with Michelin tyres designed specifically for this vehicle.

http://www.media-server.com/m/go/michelinpressevent_93011

PS - This can't be a USGP disaster all over again. Not with all these very serious people onboard. I'm eager to see it running :)

Wow ... just look at the front tire ... my bike has them wider! :eek:

(computer designed - 1:15)

(glimpse of a real one - 2:40)

EDIT - Sorry, double posting, :dunce: could a mod please merge both posts into one?

Last edited:
Another technical partner announced:

http://www.highcroftracing.com/news/2011/10/11/deltawing-transmission-is-made-in-the-usa.html

I'm getting ever more curious about who will provide the engine. According to this car's philosophy, should be a superlightweight unit. And I don't understand how can a transmission be designed without an engine to attach but I'm not enginier so I may be wrong.

Anyway, they still keep saying the first prototype will run before the end of the year. Not much time left, if they want to keep their word.

I know this car doesn't get many enthusiasts here. It's ugly, strange, different. But I find it fascinating that this thing is getting built, in the most serious way. It's a formidable challenge, and to see the big names behind it (names that won't like being put to shame over a fail) makes the anticipation on what exactly will happen even greater.

Also the Deltawing is using monocoques from the now abandoned Aston Martin AMR ONE project I believe....

Wow I didn't know of that rumour and went looking for it. Found an amazing site I didn't even know existed. Worth a look, for Sports Cars lovers.

And indeed, pictures helping, it seems the "tube" is Aston Martin's. Clever move yet again. Already crash tested and ACO approved, guys saved a lot of money and especially time I presume.

In related, but separate news, the sad story of the AMR-One's end.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept11.html

I think you mean "tub", Hun ;). It refers to the carbon fibre shaped like a "bath tub" to form the chassis.
Carbon fibre tubes are a slightly different concept which you can find in bikes.

Re-using old left-over tubs from other projects isn't anything new (the example I always think of is the re-use of the Jaguar XJR-14 tubs as the Porsche WSC-95), but indeed a smart move for Highcroft.

Strakka Racing announced today at Silverstone that they will be competing in the World Endurance Championship next year in the latest creation to come out of Wirth Research, the Honda Performance Development ARX-03a LMP1. Few technical details are to be gleamed from the Strakka press release other than the engine is the 3.4 liter, normally aspirated V8 that we're familiar with (ARX-01e, and was in the -02a in 4.0 liter form) and the car will be run on Michelins, presumably wide front Michelins such as were on the ARX-01e (though not the "rear" fronts of the ARX-02a). The press release also says the ARX-03a will, "...have an entirely new Wirth Research designed chassis." Nick Wirth will only say that it is, "very different," compared to the original LC75 monocoque and that the angles in the renderings were chosen to mask the new monocoque's features. That's a bit overly dramatic, but at very least there no longer is even a vestigial connection to the ARX-01 series' Courage/Oreca monocoque.

I'm so happy the only Honda I've ever loved and will love is coming back!!!

Somebody may have already brought this up, I didn't read through it all, but my main conern is the safety of the delta wing design. Just look how narrow the front end is, right in where the drivers legs will be going. If that thing is sideways and gets nailed there is nothing to protect the driver from a Zanardi-esque incident, only there will be less there to support the driver then Zanardi had.

Also I think indycar driver Mike Conway put it best in an interview I saw of him when the delta wing was being considered for indycar. He said that the drivers use the front wheels to gauge where the back of the car can fit, being relative to width of course. In all other racing cars like the mentioned stock car passed the windshield and the nose pieces of open wheel cars that Highcroft mentioned, there isn't an issue with a drastic width change of the car like with the Delta Wing.

With the unsafe/pencil thin front to the large rear I don't see a good result coming out of this for the drivers of the car.

ok that was a fail. Its the not the deltawing.....The DW designation has me all confuzzled. the DW12 the indy car ah "Dan Wheldon"

Last edited:
Where did this car go? I am keen to see it "turn" Im not sure how the wheel can fit inside the wheel well and have a radius of rotation.

Photos or it's bullpoo, just sayin'...
yeah because everthing is "bullpoo" unless you have christened it fact worthy Mitch. All hail Mitch.

I'd say something totally fitting to that statement but I'll pass, check out the videos and descriptions on the DeltaWing website...

It's bullpoo because any statement can be made on the internet, what makes it worthwhile is having actual proof...

BTW, it's meant to start testing early next year IIRC. Oh, there's an update here too.

Yeah we know Mitch.....Thats how your 6 previous accounts got banned. Ill leave this thread to you.
No sense starting an argument on a nice thread.

Back